Why aren't you making music with GNU/Linux?

Why aren't you making music with GNU/Linux?
>there's no software!
ardour, reaper, audacity, qtractor, bitwig, lmms, renoise, tracktion, mixbus, radium, seq24. There's no excuse.

Attached: BitwigStu2ComCg-large.jpg (750x434, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxsynths.com/
zamaudio.com/?p=976
loomer.co.uk/
linux-sound.org/plugins.html
u-he.com/products/zebra2/
u-he.com/products/hive/
openavproductions.com/artyfx/
calf-studio-gear.org/
waves.com/soundgrid-systems
youtube.com/watch?v=OEbSFBeKLcU
desuarchive.org/qa/thread/1673486/
Jow
m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

computer music is not real music

My IQ is too high to enjoy music. It's just noise.

crypto-brainlet

you could demo with a finishing hammer, doesnt mean its ideal

Free software is inferior

My IQ is so high I exclusively listen to noise music

>bitwig
>reaper
>renoise
>free software

OP doesn't know shit about making music.

Tell me. How are you going to manipulate vocals without Melodyne, VariAudio or Antares?

How about all the plugins that aren't available on Linux? You won't even be able to properly mix and master tracks. Have fun using stock effects only.
>no Waves
>no FabFilter
>no Izotope
>no Melda

Instruments..
>no Kontakt
>no Serum
>no Omnisphere

because I don't know shit about making music

My IQ is beetoven

How did we ever make and record music without computers? Oh right, only let musicians record and not every dickweed with an ipad and a song about how mom doesn't understand get near a mic.

With hardware you fucking moron? That's why VST was invented in the first place you dumb fuck. It's sad how you're making a music production thread without knowing anything about it.

Attached: 2500_front.jpg (2573x372, 686K)

Which one of those is the autotune?
Also, keep using hardware. It is more reliable is my point.

linuxsynths.com/
zamaudio.com/?p=976
loomer.co.uk/
linux-sound.org/plugins.html
u-he.com/products/zebra2/
u-he.com/products/hive/
openavproductions.com/artyfx/
calf-studio-gear.org/

>his song has vocals
Normalfag trash

>Which one of those is the autotune?
pic related
>Also, keep using hardware.
Are you serious? It's fucking expensive.
It's funny how you people don't know shit about music production. You just googled some shit. There's not even a proper linear phase EQ and Multiband Compressor available for Linux.

At least I'm not a weebfagging ricer.

Attached: MT_nov_1987_roland_vp70_large.jpg (500x273, 18K)

>Famous music producers that use Linux
w-wait.. there are none.. I wonder why that is?

Hans Zimmer uses Zebra on Bitwig. You could run his setup on Linux.

Jesus Christ. You do realize Zebra is just one of many Virtual INSTRUMENTS, right? Please, I beg you. Don't talk about music production if you don't know shit about it. I've explained it already. You wouldn't even be able to use all the sample libraries out there because there's no Kontakt for Linux. That's basic shit man.

As someone who uses albeton/flstudio there's huge problems with audio latency on Linux with no possible remedy which windows has with ASIO.

Not to mention the UIs are much worse on Linux, and the plugn play support is worse. Hell even collabs are going to be worse off since any musisian who's normal doesn't use Linux.

JACK + preemptible kernel. Linux has lower latency than any other OS.

But if you're a linux user, aren't you generally inclined to code? if there's cSound for linux, or anything like it, one could easily code their own multisampler and either pirate commercial sample libraries, roll their own, or find open source samples.

You've got to be fucking with me.. 1/10 bait

The fact you included audacity proves you have no idea what is required of a real DAW

Of course they aren’t baiting, freetards literally tell you to
>just write it yourself lol
>just hire a developer lol

Attached: bd8.png (1190x906, 178K)

waves.com/soundgrid-systems

Waves plugins are not available on Linux. Stop googlin shit without understanding it.

Look into SoundGrid.

I know what SoundGrid is you dumbfuck but obviously you dont understand what it's actually for.

>he expects a single producer to run soundgrid on Linux

At this point, freetards are worse than Muslims to me.

Reaper is on Linux?

There's no drivers for my hardware.

Then you also know that you can get VST to run in Linux. Meaning you can run Waves on Linux. Are you Australian or New Zealander?

yep

i know the pain

normie EDM producer get out

NIggers just port Cubase to Linux and I'm switching.

Realer than most music made after the 90s

>he doesn't know best electronic music is from 90s
do you even Moving Shadow?

I use LMMS but it's been years since I've used it. It's been longer since I've used FL Studio but FL Studio is burnt into my muscle memory so it's been hard learning LMMS again. Or rather not hard but frustrating to get back into it. Any good virtual amps for linux?

youtube.com/watch?v=OEbSFBeKLcU

>He can't read

>all this synth horseshit
Score your music on a pc, then perform it on real instruments, you fucking niggers

Attached: frescobaldi.png (1920x1080, 419K)

How is Reaper stability in linux, and how is driver support for the likes of tascam, focusrite,roland, m audio, behringer, audient and presonus?

>people in this thread can't write their own signal flows and control interfaces in puredata to build the perfect workflow best suited for whatever they want to do musically
ishiggydiggydo

>How is Reaper stability in linux,

no idea.

>and how is driver support for the likes of tascam, focusrite,roland, m audio, behringer, audient and presonus?

Garbage. Literally can't find an interface with functioning drivers that isn't a $2000 RME interface, so I just got a presonus. Most of them will have class-compliant drivers that limit the sample rate to 48kHz.

Just run Ableton through Wine dude, everything werks for me

anyone tried a yamaha ag06 under linux?

What distro/desktop is that?

How braindead do you have to be to make that argument?
The whole point of this thread is to make music with a computer (using Linux vs Windows and MacOS).

Making music with a Linux machine:

Sane tier:
>Have a separate Windows or Mac machine for music production

Pretty good tier:
>Dual boot with Windows or Mac

Barely decent tier:
>VM

Retarded tier:
>Wine

I'd rather quit music altogether tier:
>Using native Linux software

Just end me tier:
>Using FOSS native Linux software

>not programming all your music in csound

add supercollider to that list.

>not making music by sequencing midi files using vim and playing it back with a terminal midi player

>not exclusively making music with Moonbase Alpha

these faggots talking shit on software to make music think that songs just magically happen after playing instruments irl and without technology.
you're fucking retards.

based angry poster

VCV Rack

>Why aren't you making music with GNU/Linux?
because I'm booted into Windows all the time to do other shit

I probably could just switch to Linux full-time if all I did was music stuff though -- I don't really use any VSTs (kinda fell off with 'em, it's all samples and built-in DSP effects for me these days, big-ass WAV packs or bust), and Renoise has a perfectly okay Linux port.
last time I ran Linux full-time was a decade ago and doing audio anything on Linux was like pulling teeth (especially since the transition to Pulse was happening around then)

>manipulate vocals
Fuck off.

>tfw I entered an enitre ly score in vim
I didn't even know about frescobaldi, is it worth it over vim?

Fuck you its fucking impossible

Don't forget the non-daw and the other non-audio-tools. (yes that's their actual name)

Attached: boomerposter.jpg (633x640, 47K)

I think MeloDIE works under wine

>I think MeloDIE "works" under wine

Sorry, autocorrect.

>At least I'm not a weebfagging ricer.
FUCKING BASED

What happened to /DAW/ threads?
I haven't seen one in over a year.

Shitty audio drivers, latency is way higher compared to windows.

git gud at kernel configuring

Leaving him alone, he doesn't know anything music production or mixing, like 85% of the people on this board.
On the other hand it would be interesting to have board dedicated to mixing, mastering, music production and this kind of gear.

Why would I waste time on it if I can just plug my interface directly in windows and start to work immediately?

>try to import midi into lmms
>crashes if the midi is too big
Nice piece of shitware.

Attached: paul.gif (364x276, 1.05M)

Yeah, but it's still in beta, I haven't tried it tho. I'd say wait till 6 comes out so you have a stable version at least.

There are no good VSTs on Linux

Are there any Linux-friendly hardware makers these days? I can get my firewire interface working with some wrangling but I wouldn't mind spending s bit of cash for something more seamless.

Recommend me a very small USB keyboard that works with Linux and is cheap and I will make some music.

basically nothing but RME. usually interfaces work with class-compliant USB drivers so they should work if you can live without bells and whistles.

>using a garbage operating system is worth 30 minutes of my time

A fucking USB midi keyboard that's Linux compatible for under 80 US dollars. That what I need. Where are they?

>it would be interesting to have board dedicated to mixing, mastering, music production and this kind of gear.
Me and a couple other guys have been occasionally shilling this idea on /mu/ and /qa/ for over a year.
We even contacted the admins, but so far nothing.

Here's one of the thread with the arguments:
desuarchive.org/qa/thread/1673486/

There is definitely a big interest throughout the website. Much bigger than that of certain other creative boards (even excluding those that exist solely because Moot liked them).

Right now the /prod/ threads on /mu/ are dead (they were always full of beginners so almost nobody knowledgeable would ever get in them, and a recent flood of shitposters annoyed everyone away) and /DAW/ threads on Jow Forums are too rare.

Everyone who makes music (electronic or not) or plays an instrument or wants to discuss anything related to music from the creator's perspective, now has to compete with a shitton of very fast posts on /mu/, which gives them too little time to reach the relevant people, so they die before any discussion can happen.

Right now if you're interested in a niche topic (like for example Max/MSP) it's impossible to find someone to discuss with, since you'd need insane luck to post about it on /prod/s (or even as a new thread on /mu/ or Jow Forums) and have someone knowledgeable see it in the small time window before the thread gets bumped off.

On a separate music-making board every topic can have its own thread and the people who are interested in it would have a place to go discuss it, and it wouldn't have to compete with a thousand threads about music listening.

There could easily be collaborative projects (other than the shit that appears on /mu/ and /s4s/ once in a while) and everything a proper music making forum should have (which is almost impossible now that the threads need to compete with unrelated stuff).

We should really get together and make it happen.
It would be too good not to at least try.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 18K)

Everything that that sends regular MIDI signals over USB.
So basically everything.
I'd recommend the Akai MPK mini Mk2 because it has all the basics you need integrated for 99$, you can easily find it for less than that.
You mean you want a MIDI keyboard that doesn't need its own shitty proprietary firmware installed on your system and just sends a basic MIDI signal that can be processed by fucking anything out there. Just don't buy shit that needs additional shit installed m8.

Attached: 9349953_800.jpg (800x542, 74K)

Because actual professionals use mostly Cubase, Logic Pro (luckily it was't fucked like Final Cut), and Pro Tools, sometimes Sonar, Digital Performer and some others but not goonix ones. Linux also has a history of shitty unstable audio drivers that break on sneeze and being often incompatible with external audio devices/interfaces. Also can someone tell me why audio drivers are so bad on linux and break on every occasion?

So plug and play then? If so then sure I'll pick up a cheapo mini midi and I'll make some Linux music. Fuck I'll even post my failure results to Jow Forums.

Hell yeah I do.
> jack
> guitarix
> ardour
That's all I need. Shit is much simpler, easy to use and intuitive than Cubase.

the only reson why i dont use linux (i use it in school)is FL studio and photoshop what are alternatives for linux

Fuck yea, there isn't a place available to properly talk about musical gear, vst, mixing techniques and such. Jow Forums doesn't care about this kind of stuff and /mu/ userbase just listens to music. But how do we create a board? Should we contact the mods or something like that?

Bitwig Studio is the best alternative for FL Studio on Linux but it feels more like an Ableton clone, but is has lots of features integrated into the software itself to the point where you don't really have to use any VSTs as long as you're willing to learn how to properly use it.
You can make your own synths with their modular engine which works just like a modular hardware synthesizer.

Attached: bitwig modules.jpg (1680x1050, 196K)

>Anon1: Why is no one using linux for music production?
>Anon2: Here are a list of reasons
>Anon1: LOL RETARD THINKS HE'S A SMARTASS AND KNOWS EVERYTHING
the state of the board

Yeah, you need to contact the administrators:
Jow Forums.org/contact

Is that modular engine with nodes in your pic a native Bitwig thing or it's a plugin?
How does it compare to Ableton's racks, with Max/MSP (and M4L), and with FL's Patcher?

Stop listening to Meshuggah then

It's natively integrated into Bitwig and it's basically a clone of Max for Live.

how do i even start producing music? i have no background in music so i guess i am limited to making crappy beats in e-jay?

Attached: guitar_boomerss.png (2378x1076, 2.13M)

Cool, didn't know that.
Is it well documented or you have to rely on forums and third party resources for most things?

All the shitty 12 year olds realised their music sucks

#
Pirate Ableton Live 9.7.5 (most guides and tutorials are for 9, so if you get 10 it can get confusing for a beginner).
Watch m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959
Try everything yourself and get acquainted with the UI.
Now watch one of those "full song step by step in Ableton" videos and do everything the guy does, so you start learning and practicing what goes into making a song.
Now you need to learn how each aspect of music production works (synthesis, sampling, arrangement, composition, mixing, mastering, etc) and the most efficient way of doing so without reading a thousand different guides that share 99% of the notions, is to download "The Dance Music Manual" by Rick Snoman.
It's a book that goes over each area of music production to a reasonable degree.
Read it and practice everything the book teaches.
Now you should be able to make songs.
Keep watching tutorials and going more in depth on the things you're having trouble with.
After you've gained familiarity with Ableton 9 and made a few songs with it, get the latest Live 10 and use that (since you'll be able to follow any tutorial even if it's for a different version.

This process should take you less than a year with average effort and you'll be able to make music and to know what to learn to further improve.

Any question?

One better, you don't need the mpk get the lpk it's just the keyboard but smaller and cheaper. It comes with cheesey software but you literately just fucking plug, select it on your instrument and play. I used to use Windows 7 and there was some configuring but with Debian stretch there is none you just go. Make sure you use JACK instead of ALSA for better than windows or mac latency.

Attached: lpk25_web_large.jpg_25d4c413d4620b4de3ff06830dd74516.jpg (1200x750, 68K)

I say we breathe life into lainchan's music board

As far as VSTs, just get one of every category and focus on mastering that. Once you become experienced you can get different ones, but in the beginning don't waste time learning 100 different plugins halfway when you can be an expert in 10.

The best synth is Xfer Serum.
The best sampler is Native Instruments Kontakt.
Get the Fabfilter bundle for the best effects (like EQs, reverbs, compressors, etc).
Get the iZotope Ozone suite for the best mastering plugins.
Get the Waves complete bundle for a suite containing a shitton of top-tier plugins of all kinds to fill all the gaps you might have.
Get the ValhallaDSP bundle for some very good sounding reverbs that are very light on the CPU.

There aren't plugins that are objectively the absolute best, but I think these are the overall best for a beginner considering the quality, ease to use, and availability on torrent sites.
As you progress you'll find other ones you might like better or that might have different specific features, but for now these will cover your bases pretty excellently.