/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Old thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

Attached: 1433565078690.jpg (1200x2879, 1.94M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/Firefox
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#With_size
gottcode.wordpress.com/2017/10/21/theming-whisker-menu-redux/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

not like the copypasta was useful anyway

First for you're distro a shite

So many generals just crap up their OPs with a bunch of useless information that nobody ever reads.
I took inspiration from /dpt/ and kept it to the point.

tfw no robot dog to carry your firearms for you

Is there a spellchecker appropriate for a thesis?

sauce?

I just installed Debian, Firefox and I can't install the noscript add-on because this version is too old.

Are there any workarounds/alternatives?

What's the fastest way to share files from my Android phone to my Linux laptop and the other way around?

I'm struggling with getting openbox to tile a window to the left/right, so basically maximize it to the left/right half of the screen.
I originally tried using moveToEdgeEast/West, but that didn't seem to do anything. Today I stumbled upon a setting like this

50%
100%

50%
100%

but that doesn't seem to do anything either. I tried a few different key bindings for each of these options, but that didn't work either.
Any ideas?

Well ever since they took out the nice, simple, straightforward solution of presenting the phone's storage as a USB mass storage device, in favor of that MTP garbage, I use a file manager (Amaze, it's in F-Droid) that can start an FTP server on the local network. Connect to the FTP server from your laptop with your client of choice and you can up/download stuff.

This is retarded, but it was simpler than setting up MTP. At least for me, my laptop has Debian stable with Xfce, your distro/DE's automounter might make that shit just werk.

Are there any good data recovery software on linux?

How do I choose a distro?
There's so much to choose from.

Why nobody on this board mentions MX Linux? I've been using it since last month and it's great, system d free and shit

How do you pick what you eat for lunch? You remember what you ate before and pick based on what seems right for your appetite, correct?

Yes, multiple. Testdisk / photorec is frequently used. But you obviously better do backups so you don't ever need it.

Dude I just want an OS for my computer, I'm not in the mood for food analogies.

Attached: 1508455797830.jpg (800x317, 226K)

Yep, didn't think I would do something stupid as dd my hdd. Going to try my luck on linux then, as Windows didn't seem to work.
Windows only rescued some old ass files.
Thanks for the recommendations! Have a nice day.

Just use Debian or Arch, every other distro is either shit or not for beginners

It's shitty situation on stable and will most likely not be properly resolved until next stable, because reasons.

So you can either download a binary from mozilla directly, use flatpak, use snap, install from unstable or build it yourself.
I'd pull from sid or use snap.

Btw did you read the wiki, because all those options are explained in there..
wiki.debian.org/Firefox

Then just install Ubuntu and be done with it.

Still the same method. Start using distros. You'll know what you want eventually.

Not him, but I thought they were gonna push 60 ESR to stable at some point? 52 ESR is like a week from end of official support.

Good luck then. BTW always only recover to another partition/drive. Else you probably just loose even more data in the recovery process.

For testdisk and other filesystem independent recovery, you may need a bigger drive due to it sometimes recognizing additional data as possible file, and of course it doesn't usually recover filesystem specific information.

Also, set up a backup ASAP, even if you don't plan to make a mustake witb dd again.

Will do, I have extra 1tb that I can use for backup for the important files. Again thanks for the help user :)

I have started getting warnings about low storage on my root partition. How do I make my root partition bigger? Is it possible?

fdisk:

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 2048 1128447 1126400 550M 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 1128448 17905663 16777216 8G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3 17905664 59848703 41943040 20G 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 59848704 312581807 252733104 120,5G 83 Linux

fyi the formating of my fdisk input looked good before posting.

Can probably be solved by clearing your package manager's cache or search for the stuff that's filling up your storage, 20G is by far enough for most use cases

You didn't install on LVM2 so growing the partition (for example into that huge swap) would be a bit annoying, safest to backup & restore if you did that.

Probably do what said and find out why root is full.

Did pacman -Scc and now I have 5 gb free.

What is making my root so big I have no idea, but I have downloaded a lot of big programs for my class, like matlab, but i am pretty sure that is in my home partition.

did you remember to run "openbox --reconfigure" when changing config?

>What is making my root so big I have no idea
On Gentoo, I'd start by querying packages sorted by size & with a total:
q size -fs | sort -hk 6

For you I think it's something like:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#With_size

You are correct, just checked and 60 ESR is due for Stretch. All relevant parts are in already.
I forgot that 52 is EOL and I remembered an earlier discussion how 60 changes too much and requires backporting rust etc. plus addon changes, that they rather postpone it, at least for next point release.

Use code tags then..

sudo ncdu -x /

>I remembered an earlier discussion how 60 changes too much and requires backporting rust etc. plus addon changes, that they rather postpone it, at least for next point release.
Knowing Debian, I'm certain they don't like this business at all, and consider even ESR to have way too short a support period for their tastes, but Debian will send major-version upgrades to stable when they have to. They did that with Samba and VLC a while back when they couldn't backport security fixes to the old version because it'd changed too much.

I'm using Polybar and i3 and for some reason I can get all the other modules to have icons but when I set a workspace in my i3config as an icon, Polybar shows it as -1 instead of the icon. Pic related. ignore wallpaper

Attached: 2018-08-29-081825_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 309K)

Hello, currently installing debian, and my disc is stuck in the drive. Pressing the button does nothing. Debian just won't let me open it. Any advice?

Attached: d1f (1).png (1278x981, 777K)

Never mind, there was a hole next to the eject button that turned out to be for force eject. Jamming a paperclip in there did fine.

Me at the bottom, waiting for the other idiots to hurry up.

yes I did

I just installed openSUSE and my CPU usage is at 100% on all cores. What can I do? Just reinstall? I have no idea what is causing it and it would take forever to find out since everything is super slow

What DE are you running? Had a similar problem with KDE when the file indexing went nuts

Gnome and I'm using xfs since you mention indexing

I’ve had Ubuntu 16.04 installed on my laptop for about 2 years now and everything has always been great.

Recently it’s been acting up. I use unity-tweak-tool and keep the launcher on auto-hide to keep it off of my screen all of the time. But, now it’s not listening to me and the bar always stays up. I’ve never had a problem with my laptop getting hot or the fan running a lot but it’s doing this now.

The last thing I tried installing is GNU Octave and it messed up on installing the GUI, even though I followed all instructions to a T.

I’m not sure what to do about these things

Unity is dead, upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04, replacing Unity with GNOME and see if you have the same problems

Ok, is there a simple way to upgrade to 18.04 or am I going to have to do a clean install?

How the fuck do I actually install gentoo?? Running

emerge-webrsync

fails with 'not enough space on device' because apparently it's out of inodes??

you can do a clean install or just
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
$ sudo apt-get autoremove
$ sudo apt install update-manager-core
$ sudo do-release-upgrade

>running out of inodes
how in the flying fuck?

Termux has an openssh server.
# pkg install openssh && sshd

I have no idea, I have everything mounted correctly, /boot is the efi partition, /dev/sda3 is mounted to / etc (I'm following the handbook)

Running df -i -H tells me 85%+ of the inodes are used up with 3GiB+ remaining.. This is after downloading the base system and chrooting..

let me guess, you're installing it in a VM with a fairly small (like, 8GB) virtual disk that you formatted as ext4.

So an inode is the unique identifier for an object in a unix filesystem, and in ext4 you get, by default, one of them per every 16KB. That's because they're kept in a table and it'd waste more space if you had too many of them unnecessarily. But you run out of inodes before you run out of space if you have enough small files. Big source trees like the ones Gentoo downloads and compiles are full of lots of small files. Bam.

You have two options. One, when you make an ext4 filesystem, use the -i option to give yourself more inodes. -i 8192 will give you twice the inodes as default, -i 4096 four times. That does waste space so you might want to only do it for the root filesystem, depending on how you're partitioning. Other option, use a filesystem that does dynamic inode allocation so that you can have as many as you need. Btrfs does this.

hase yuu

>let me guess, you're installing it in a VM with a fairly small (like, 8GB) virtual disk that you formatted as ext4.
Right on the money, virtualbox with an 8GiB hdd image. I obviously want to try it our virtually before my real system.

>So an inode is the unique identifier for an object in a unix filesystem, and in ext4 you get, by default, one of them per every 16KB
Oh I see, like a FAT cluster then? Makes sense why it's running out of room early. I'll give btrfs/the -i flag a try. Thanks a heap mate.

does debian with non-free repo enabled offer the same/similar extent of hardware compatibility as ubuntu?
i like both of them, but hardware support is a deal breaker for me as i am going to install it on a laptop

apt-get install xul-ext-noscript

don't run debian ancient^Wstable
upgrade to debian testing

to get the same hardware compatibility as Ubuntu, add non-free indead. Also update your kernel from stable to stable-backports

What is wrong with my LDFLAGS?
Compiler is saying "unknown argument -Wl"
-Wl,--as-needed,-Wl,-O3 -Wl,-z,noexecstack -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro,-Wl,--strip-debug

how can i theme the whisker menu to a dark one matching Numix theme?

I used the example from here:
gottcode.wordpress.com/2017/10/21/theming-whisker-menu-redux/

but i want to get rid of the ugly white lines (like pic related) but im too much brainlet to fix that myself.

the GTK2 configs I've found (obviously) don't work.

Attached: whiskermenu-darktree2.png (400x500, 37K)

Alright guys I'm ready to make a full switch and nuke my windows partition. How do I send my files to the Linux partition without having to resort the botnet like Google drive.
What I have:
- an 8GB USB stick
- a 500GB hard drive (containing both Linux and windows)
- another 1TB hard drive for misc files like music and movies
I allocated 55GB for my Linux partition, all the rest is NTFS. How should I proceed from here.

you can keep your NTFS drive on the 1TB.
your only options for backup on the windows drive are either a free mega account and or slow transfer to the 1TB with the flash drive.
>I allocated 55GB for my Linux partition, all the rest is NTFS.
If you don't need the windows drive anymore just nuke the whole thing and let whichever distro partition it.

Created my own thread for this for some reason, but at the recommendation of another user, I'll post here instead
>me
>Wincuck all my life
>tried moving to Linux multiple times (most recently a few months ago)
>always run back to Windows
>find out about Lutris and Proton
>have second computer sitting around collecting dust
I have no excuse to not at least TRY for more than five minutes.
Which distro should I install (Not Linux Mint. The computer in question has had bad experiences with it and/or Grub making it hang on "verifying DMI pool data")
Any advice for a newcomer to linux?
>inb4 gentoo
>inb4 "what you're referring to as Linux"

Attached: I TOOK THE BOOTS.png (600x600, 501K)

OpenSUSE tumbleweed

In addition to what the other user said, or also just any generic method of first backing up your files, I just wanted to make you aware that it's possible to leapfrog your files.
E.g. install a new OS with enough room to house your files, copy them from the old OS to the new one directly, delete the old OS, resize the new one to take the remaining space.

Although I suppose in your case that's not ideal assuming your files are larger than 55GB you'd have to resize 2 times.

>or slow transfer to the 1TB with the flash drive.
Why would he need the flash drive? Why can't he just hook the 1TB drive directly up to his machine and transfer the Windows files over to it, then delete Windows, resize the GNU/Linux partition, and copy everything back over?

yeah you're right. i'm a dummy, was thinking wrong. the other user's suggestion is better anyway.

what exactly is the point of zram and when should i be using it?

From what I see it's tmpfs but with transparent compression. For cases when you need a bigger tmpfs than what you can spare from your memory for shit that can be compressed.
I honestly cannot come up with any practical scenario for it, but there must be one unless it wouldn't exist.

it's a compressed ram-backed block device driver
aka. a ramdisk
primarily it's used for placing a swap volume on, so you can have some reasonably fast swap before falling back (optionally) onto disk swap
i personally have it setup as both swap and my /tmp (have a udev rule to format it as ext4 with journaling disabled on boot)

I'm a bit confused, i3 configs are only for the windows like borders, colors of the borders, i3status and such but it doesn't actually configure the terminal itself? I don't have xrdb, is it needed to change the color, opacity, background color and such of my terminal? (xterm) I'm learning how to rice and a complete beginner.

Another thing, I don't understand how you know which window you're focused on if you remove titles and windows, how do you know what you're selected on?

>Another thing, I don't understand how you know which window you're focused on if you remove titles and windows, how do you know what you're selected on?
dumb ricer

Gamer here
Which distro should I use that give me the best OOTB experience on Steam Proton?

Try putting your terminal settings in ~/.Xdefaults
I still don't understand exactly what's going on here because I think that file was technically declared to be deprecated a long time ago in favor of ~/.Xresources instead, but a lot of things seem to prefer ~/.Xdefaults still. Usually if you put your settings in there you don't even need xrdb, whereas with ~/.Xresources you do.

It almost seems like it's the opposite and ~/.Xresources is the one that's deprecated but it should be the other way around. Strange.

so why would i ever need to use zram instead of just normal swap?

probably ubuntu

if you run low on ram and just want it to quickly compress some pages rather than immediately hitting a hdd and choking

>I don't understand how you know which window you're focused on if you remove titles and windows
You don't, or you just remember (I don't think it's that hard really)
but anyway I think it's silly to completely remove everything. Why not at least keep a 1pixel border or something? In i3 just set the border to "pixel". So either modify or add the line "new_window pixel 1" or however thick you want the border. Then you can still tell which window is active or what mode its in.

-- it's also good on devices with low ram and/or low storage space

OpenSUSE or a derivative Arch distro like Archlabs/Manjaro/Antergos

Is there a lighter version of ubuntu? Well, I tried ubuntu but it's quite bloated than my Windows 7. (Using more than 1GB on idle)

Probally arch or some rolling release distro due to the fact this is still new and there will be alot of frequent changes including gpu driver and kernel updates

avoid *buntu shit.
try a rolling release distro. No, your system won't break every update, that's a shitty stigma that's been massively blown out of proportion.

you could try lubuntu or xubuntu

the only difference is that they come with different desktop environments installed by default (the one in stock ubuntu is known to be buggy and bloated)

so if im running low on ram, i would want to use zram before using swap so that i dont suffer a performance loss right? whats the catch though to zram as in what does zram use instead of ram/harddrive space?

I have a 2 in 1 tablet laptop running an Atom z8300 running windows 10.
Simply put, this hardware just cant keep up at a reasonable pace on windows 10. I only use it for light 'programming' and word processing for school, so its not even like I expect that much out of it anyway.

Im looking at booting linux on there instead. So far I can't decide. I liked the look of Deepin, but tried it and didnt like it. I've had good experiences with Ubuntu in the past, but I tried a live media disk of Ubuntu on the laptop and the speakers werent working and there were a few other issues.

I like the Unity desktop environment, so now I'm looking for a good linux distro compatible with it that can run on my device.

Any suggestions?
My only requirements are:
word processing
run the Arduino IDE
not look like garbage
actually use the speakers, touch screen, etc.

Attached: for chang.jpg (400x542, 55K)

Just popped in to say that last week I finally got a reply regarding my application.
Thanks to /fglt/ and playing with GNU/Linux like a goddamn manchild I landed myself with a comfy and well paying job in IT as a junior sysadmin.
And that's all without any previous work experience or training/education in IT (i'm a paramedic by education).

I'm starting 10/09
Today was my last day at current job which was the very fucking definition of wage slavery.

Attached: 1519241070800.jpg (500x423, 90K)

Which one is it that has
1. Better repos
2. Great driver support (already has the most updated amdgpu, mesa, vulkan driver, and kernel obv)
3. The best when it comes to ricing and shit
I also just tried debian for couple hours and it has shittier compatibility and proton OOTB experience than my nuked ubuntu.

yes, you can have multiple swap volumes in linux, and you can set their priority, so the zram swap is hit first
zram uses ram, what happens with a zram swap is that pages are taken from ram, compressed, then placed back into ram

Why are they no wearing any panties

>in IT as a junior sysadmin
Are these jobs as comfy as I think they are? Can you basically just browse Jow Forums half the day or is it actually something that takes your full focus all day long? (or is it something that doesn't take your full focus but you have to pretend that it does because people will see you not working)?

Arch probably has the technically better support if you add the AUR.
But OpenSUSE is backed by an actual company.
Either or are fine though since they're rolling release. You'll pretty much always have the latest everything. Though i think OpenSUSE has a few days waiting because they validate packages so you don't run into the occasional quirks that you would rarely in Arch.
ricing is the same on both as you can pick any DE/WM you want. OOTB i guess Arch would maybe win in ricing.

I would just say use arch since its the most bleeding edge and considering the fact that the proton thing is currently still in its beta phase means alot of changes will be constantly rolling out. You could also just try Steam OS since its directly maintained by Valve

cz they r wearing strings

Unity is great for low res screens.
If your device is 1080p or better try gnome on fedora.

1080p screen though im happy forcing it to 720.
Which would run better on the lackluster CPU and 4GB of slow af ram?

alright thanks i believe i understand how it all works and probally can find a use for it since i have a 1gb eepc laptop that can utilize this, i assume i can find the instructions to set this all up on the arch wiki.
By the way would you know if zram would also be good to use with a zfs fileserver for situations where all the ram has been consumed during a file transfer and the speeds slow down really badly?

Anyone know what desktop environment this is?
I know its on Fedora

Attached: saveas.png (960x540, 410K)

I think KDE might be what you are looking for, it can also be themed to look exactly like unity

looks like budgie