Bored and decide to flash bios to latest version

>bored and decide to flash bios to latest version
>power cuts out half way through
>power comes back on 30 seconds later
>computer refuses to start, pretty much in vegetative state

Power cuts are rare here and occur maybe once every few years briefly. Why does tech hate me?

Attached: wojak.png (3496x4024, 1.78M)

Why didn't you invest in UPS?

This. They're like $50 for one big enough to keep a desktop going for several minutes. I finally installed two in my house to keep my main desktops going for the frequent power flashes we get here in S FL. Also serves as a low-power backup for charging phones / etc during longer term outages.

Aren't dual BIOSes pretty standard these days, to avoid such tragedies?

>bored and decide to flash bios

you should never fuck with your bios unless you absolutely have to

Ok brainlet.

im not the dumb cunt who bricked his mobo

Retard

Why don't you invest in some spare BIOS chips?

This, they even warn you about it.
Updating your bios is for when you have something that needs fixing in the update, not because there is a new bios file out.

>He has a single BIOS chip
you deserve this OP

Attached: Girls.png (449x401, 490K)

also, check your mobo documentation (instructions)
maybe it has some rescue options

Prepare to pay some dosh to guys with a BIOS flasher. Or order the chip off ebay/aliexpress and solder it.

>download latest bios
>zero the bios chip with an external usb programmer
>flash latest bios binary on the chip
>verify that the write was successful
>turn on computer
as good as new

>>zero the bios chip with an external usb programmer
What program?

the one included with your flasher
or flashrom if you're on lunix

sue you energy company. 30s means the problem probably comes from the post HV/LC (transformer), this must be a problem in their forecast management... it's is on them

This got me wondering, ive never had to live in a power-cut-heavy area in my life and i only bought a laptop to where i live now, desktop is in storage for a better day

Can a power surge fry a laptop when the charger is connected? Beyond battery which can be replaced, can a power surge actually kill the MB of a laptop?

Why do that? You only buy them if they go bad. There's more reasons to having a battery backup than BIOS corruption. Anything critical is backed up and I've multiple systems... having a spare BIOS on hand is unnecessary.

Depends on the shittyness of the charger. If it's an aftermarket replacement from a recommendation, it can kill the laptop even plugged into a pure sine source.

happened to me with the official charger for an Asus laptop. power surged, it fried the charger and the mobo and the bang made me shit myself.

I think that literally happened to my MB a couple years back. We've lost many appliances due to surges.
Funnily enough, my new job discovered the reason why those surges probably happened. Was a weird coincidence.

Flashing the bios never solved any problem for me. Its a meme.

Same.
>have an XFX r9 280x with a fucked up bios
>flash a new bios
>no change
I ended up having to lower the clock speeds just to use it without massive screen tearing