THANK YOU BASED NVIDIA G-SYNC

anandtech.com/show/13294/acer-unveils-predator-xb273k-4kp144-displayhdr-400-gaming-lcd

THANK YOU BASED NVIDIA G-SYNC

Attached: Predator_XB3_678_678x452.jpg (678x515, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>27"
oh no no no no

>with up to 400 nits peak brightness

Attached: 1518393004616.jpg (330x274, 83K)

>400

Attached: 1534894877418.jpg (581x603, 64K)

I'm bored and want to learn, care to explain.

Attached: vgoggles.png (480x232, 86K)

>Gsync
Into the trash it goes.
I'm still waiting for a:
* Freesync 2 HDR
* with up to 144Hz range
* IPS
* 27"
* 1440p+

Cant you google it?

I was looking for a similar monitor. Theres that asus one mg279q but i think its freesync 1. I was actually looking for similar but a 32" screen

>mg279q but i think its freesync 1
Yeah, it's all the way back from 2015, unfortunately.
>32"
That would require at least 4k and my PC (even the new one I'll build next new year's eve) is too slow for that.

>DisplayHDR 400
Does that even count as HDR?

Just a lower HDR spec than what is considered real HDR. It's about the nits a screen can put out. 1000 is considered real HDR, 400 nits is not despite it being called HDR. You also have 600 and 800 I believe. Current monitors without HDR are up to ~350 on the high-end by the way .

Technically yes, but anyone who has any clue about HDR doesn't even bother reading beyond that.

>$1,200
Not bad. It is cheaper than overpriced Asus one.

It both this one and the asus one has a fan

Into the trash it goes

i am waiting for 32 inch 8k 240hz HDR2000

It will be released in 2024

This isn't the X27. It may not have a fan, no massive GSync HDR FPGA to cool

Well, it still has G-Sync.
>Acer on Wednesday introduced its new Ultra-HD gaming monitor with an up to 144 Hz dynamic refresh rate enabled by NVIDIA’s G-Sync. The Predator XB273K is aimed at serious gamers looking for both high resolution as well as fast refresh rates. Meanwhile, the new unit is considerably cheaper than Acer’s top-of-the-range Predator X27.

HDR400 usually omits FALD

it's also not up to the specs of the Asus

There are at least two different modules. The normal Gsync module which is a Altera Arria V GX and the Gsync HDR module which is the much larger and more expensive Altera Arria 10 GX 480.

I picked up an MPG27CQ a few weeks ago, couldn't be fucked to wait for 1440p 144hz HDR panels.

400nits is simply not bright enough to be HDR, although it still counts, it's not even close to true HDR which requires 1000nits and pretty much a FLAD backlight.

Typical LCD is around 300nits.

don't blame you
not sure what to do at the moment, so I'll just play the waiting game some more

Yeah, i figured at least it was newer than the 2015/2016 model.

Has ~350-400 Nit brightness, but no HDR spec, and Freesync 1 instead of 2.

But meh, i'm using Nvidia anyway.

muh i got a xb241h (TN) you cunts think i'm made of money?!

what's up with the new garbage trend of putting those things on the sides

So what if its fron 2015? How does that invalidate it?

32" doesnt need 4k, 1440p is the same dpi as 24" 10p8p.

it's not a new trend, and they've been commonplace on professional panels for decades.

so you're saying it's a new trend on everything outside of professional panels?

>27"
>4K
Wow, completely useless

>So what if its fron 2015? How does that invalidate it?
It's old and uses outdated technology.
>32" doesnt need 4k
I strongly disagree. My 27" 1440p is the BARE MINIMUM PPI for a monitor. Had 27" 1080p and it was unforgivably bad. Would prefer 27" 4k, but no hardware good enough.

What if I told you, the fact it's one of the only 4k144hz panels in existence means automatically, it can be considered a professional display.

If your work requires high DPI with high refresh rate, this would be the only panel you can buy. And the price tag certainly falls in the pro category as well.

Bitch and moan about gaymer monitors not being for professionals, but the only retard here is yourself.

what sort of professional would want a high refresh rate?
it's either high resolution and/or outstanding color reproduction that gets referred to as professional panels

You forgot
>No QA issues

>what sort of professional
Doesn't matter, just because you don't doesn't mean someone doesn't.

Believe it or not, professionals exist in pretty much ALL industries, even if it's a game developer who needs to test high DPI / High refresh rate performance for his game/application. He still needs the hardware on hand to test.

>No QA issues
Nah, I'll buy it in the EU, so RMAs are not an issue.
My current PA279Q starts whining loudly when there is a lot of text on the screen and plugging the USB hub results in buzzing sounds. And that's the panel with supposedly good QA.

my 2k 144hz acer predator for $413 is pretty nice

I wasn't talking about me
I wanted you or anyone to answer the question because you seem to be doubling down on something very silly

>because you seem to be doubling down on something very silly

is this what projection looks like?
Are you REALLY this fucking retarded? YOU'RE the one doubling down on being retarded here by insisting it can't POSSIBLY be a professional monitor.

Nigger, it's $1,300+, even if it was plastered with gaymer branding, it's so far out of the realm of normal consumer panels that it is in every-way considered pro-level.

Turned it on and off with my GTX 1080, no real difference except less tearing. VSync is at 2k 60fps so it never tears anyways. So what's the point again?

>VSync
Significant lags is many games.

G-sync is variable refresh rate. Meaning if you hit a particularly graphic intensive area where the framerate drops below 144hz, it can drop it's refresh rate to match, so you get no frame tearing.

This is even more important at 1440p and 2160p 144hz.

At 60hz it's less meaningful since many GPUs can easily maintain 60fps+ at all times in most games (unless it's 4k).

>$1300 (near $1400 with tax)
>only 400 nits
>no HDR
Almost $1400 for this bullshit. The monitor market is way too fucked.

Attached: .png (696x74, 7K)

>HDR 400
I fucking hate this HDR bullshit, just a load of marketing terms to fool normalfags.

Either it's 10bit or it's 8bit.

Attached: 5435345636.jpg (400x300, 36K)

>when you are stuck with your old monitor because all the new ones have some severe flaw

Come the fuck on already. How can a 2k€ monitor have flaws

Attached: 1534635735854.png (477x424, 420K)

>4K 144fps.
I guess Quake 3 is a good game.

>400
>27"

HAHAHAHAHA

10 bit is HDR. Although I would prefer 12 bit Dolby Vision myself. There is still banding in 10 bit displays.

That's actually wrong

HDR != 10bit

I got a 10bit IPS Ultrawide screen. It doesn't feature HDR though.

HDR != wider color space
HDR adds brightness and saturation into the videosignal stream

It's funny how everyone relates HDR to burn your eyes out brightness. HDR is about a wider color spectrum = less banding and a deeper color spectrum + higher contrast and brightness levels. Brightness means it gives better and more realistic highlight details like fires, sparks, reflections etc. Not just a shot of the sun.

Dolby Vision is even better in that is is more tightly controlled (though less supported currently due to licensing) and has even less banding issues.

If you are like me and live in the dark then low level NITS are not as important. My LG does somewhere around 600 NITS and works fine. Now sure on 400 NITS though. Especially if you are not playing in the dark. Probably not worth it.

>Now=not
fixed

The 1000 nit number commonly quoted for good HDR is not the brightness across the whole panel.

It's for peak brightness in specular highlights and similar shit, very small areas being SUPER bright, with very dark areas nearby. That's why OLEDs have the best HDR today.

Actually OLED is known to blowout highlight detail. It's a known problem. Not sure if they have fixed that in their latest models but my 2016 model suffers from it. Fires and explosions can just look likee a big white mess compared to an LCD panel showing the same content.

>OLED is known to blowout highlight detail
no, that's a problem with FALD LEDs.

144hz is a fucking meme. I say that as someone who has been using an Acer XB271HU for almost a year now. The only time you even notice a difference is when you're moving a window around. That's literally the only time. I notice no difference from my older Asus PB278 (a 60Hz monitor) which I still use as a second monitor and used for years before the 144Hz one.

You are thinking of haloing which is different. I would post a link explaining with examples but I am high as fuck right now and Google came up with spurious results.

>not waiting for microled monitors
cucks

It is.
It was memed into existence by constructors dropping 3D and finding themselves with a buttload of 144Hz LCD panels, and retards actually buying them.

It's going to be a long wait and just like other technologies will be initially VERY expensive and have flaws that will need ironging out over generations (I bet the first one off the line has some odd like discolouration, speckling, uniformity issues or some other problem). Nothing comes out perfect first time. Whereas right now LG has OLED's that are pretty damned near perfect excepting retention issues (but you should be taking care of it more if you are buying that high a price of display).

>t. puzzle gamers

t. memewatch "gaymer"

You signed off your post accordingly.

Does a 1440p,144hz,1ms, IPS, 27inch that doesn't look like pure GAYMER trash exist? I've been considering the Dell S2716dg but am a little turned off by the TN panel

Attached: FB_IMG_1520014880337.jpg (583x777, 26K)

>Bandwidth requirements of 4Kp144 monitors exceed what DisplayPort can deliver today; therefore, to stay within the bandwidth limits of the interface, the displays will either be limited to a 98 Hz refresh rate with full 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, or use 4:2:2 subsampling to get to 120Hz+

yes, i too enjoy paying over a thousand dollars to beta test 'high end' first gen hardware that requires and equally expensive gpu and isn't ready yet.

why not get a 4k monitor for movies/single player games and a 1440p120hz screen with motion blur reduction or a 1080p240hz display for fast multiplayer games instead if you want a high refresh rate display? it's about the same price (probably cheaper at this point), has lower hardware requirements and you don't get cockblocked by the bandwidth limitation of displayport.

or just wait another year or two until the tech is actually ready to be used. i don't know who the target audience of this product is supposed to be, other than impatient teenage 'hardcore gamers' with rich parents who just see the big numbers on the box and know nothing about the tech and its current limits.

>THANK YOU BASED NVIDIA G-SYNC
g-sync doesn't even make any noticeable difference when used at high refresh rates. if you can afford a g-sync display you likely can afford a computer that can do more than 60fps. it makes no sense to include this tech in displays targeted at users with at least somewhat capable computers.
the only good thing about g-sync monitors is that they come with ulmb. too bad you can't officially use g-sync and ulmb at the same time.

Attached: ufo.jpg (767x434, 118K)

1ms IPS? doesn't exist really.

Even the best IPS will be ~4ms.

No, and don't even think about the Dell, the panel is utter trash. LG is said to be working on 144Hz panels and I sure hope they deliver. Right now, not a single good 1440p 144Hz panel exists.

GtG

>I've been considering the Dell S2716dg
i own this display and i'm very satisfied with it. i do have to mention that i've never even seen an ips display, so i don't know what i might be missing out on.

for me the colors are great after calibration, i've honestly never owned a screen with colors this good. the apparently shitty viewing angles of the tn are only noticeable to me on test images designed to highlight issues with viewing angles, when watching movies or playing games i never notice anything wrong. i sometimes watch movies with other people on it and even when viewing from the side i don't see any problems.

i also have a 2012 laptop with a tn screen. when you try watching a movie on there from the side, you can barely make out the image anymore due to the distorted colors. it almost looks like a negative, it's awful. even when sitting right in front of it, the colors on the bottom of the screen are different from the colors at the top. you have a hard time find an acceptable angle all day long on that laptop. the dell is nothing like this. i get why tn screens get so much hate, but there is an obvious difference in quality between a cheap one and an expensive one, don't assume all tn's are unusable trash.

>Dell S2716dg
Most panels have such extreme color banding it's unbearable. If you have an actual okay panel, consider yourself very lucky.

Attached: a2kiIXr.jpg (4160x3120, 658K)

Interesting contrast, I'm currently using an old Dell 2707WFP of which the build quality is amazing but have been wanting newer screen tech for a while and I do like Dells styling.

All monitor tech seems to comprimise in one area or another at the moment. IPS have bleed issues or slow response times, TN viewing angle or contrast, OLED plasma style screen burn in. Even the creme De la creme 4k 144Hz monitors lose colour chroma at those settings and obviously the price.

Attached: 1522327150434.jpg (640x853, 63K)

>lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php
is this the right test image for banding or do you mean something else? i know very about display tech.

on my panel the gradient is smooth, i can't see any lines or 'cuts' or something like that. there are no color distortions either (i just saw a photo of this monitor in a reddit thread, there was red shit everywhere on a supposedly black image and it looked awful).

See I use an older 1440p 60Hz Dell Ultrasharp myself and love it, but I wanted to switch to a 144Hz Gsync panel since I upgraded my GPU recently. Turns out there are no universally good panels right now. Acer, Asus and all the other "Gamer" monitors use the exact same shitty panel from some third-rate manufacturer, they have plenty of problems too such as enclosed dust and dead pixels galore.

>i know very about display tech.
*very little

>The monitor market is way too fucked.
This
Fucking mid-range TVs have more tech inside them than monitors. HDR? oh TVs have had that for years, FALD? same thing, years old tech just now going into monitors. HIgh refresh rate? Lots of 4k TVs have 120hz native panels just for motion interpolation, sadly you can't use it fully at 4k (1080p works) due to HDMI 2.0 limitations but the fact you can get a 50" panel with enough grunt to process 4k@120hz under $1k is impressive

irrelevant marketing bollocks

You can get 4K 120Hz with no chroma subsampling if you don't use HDR and use 8bpc IIRC. 8bpc with no HDR is probably going to be the vast majority of games since very little seems to properly support and work with HDR on PC at this point, but I agree that it's pretty lame for high-end, expensive monitors to come with these sort of compromises.

It's like the first 4K 60Hz screens which literally required 2 connections and pretended to be 2 separate monitors. It's too early, though these aren't quite that bad.

I have all these things except FreeSync 1 instead of 2. Shame monitor quality is down the shitter these days and backlight bleed is considered normal.

MG279Q is still the best 1440p 144 Hz IPS FreeSync panel and it's 3 years old ffs. It even costs more now than it did back then! Ever since every tech company decided to market literally everything towards "gamers" monitors have been a joke (and stupidly expensive).

The propblem is that the tech is old and they want to sell you as high as possible for as little work as possible from some shitty Chink factory. Thus we have these shitty panels with terrible QC. The industry is stagnating. Bring the tech back to America or Europe or even Japan. Fuck all these third world countries with their shit tier electronics.

>IPS
>HDR
IPS doesn't work well for HDR due to lower contrast ratios(usually around 1000:1).

You are right, but that's also because people want cheaper and cheaper hardware. Bring back manufacturing to the west or Japan and you better be ready for a 100% price increase.

I would say at most 30-50% price increase. Better components and better uniformity and QC out the door is all it requires. You pay for the extra time to make and slightly pricier components. The tehcnology itself is exactly the same.

>The tehcnology itself is exactly the same
The wages alone would double the price.

I've had the same monitor for a few months now. Went from a shitty 60hz 1080p tv to 144hz 1440p. I noticed the higher refresh rate pretty quickly.