Linux OS

Hey Jow Forums I want to switch to Linux? How do I know which Linux OS is for me?

Attached: 1200px-Tux.svg.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

distrochooser.de/en/
linuxconfig.org/8-best-ubuntu-desktop-environments-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For how long do you keep the VM open before you minimize it and go back to windows to get work done? That'd be your answer.

try ubuntu or mint they're easy and you can google anything
dual boot for like a month and the decide if you want to switch full time or not
linux can read and write to ntfs so you don't need to format your data hdd

Lubuntu, ubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu, and manjaro or mint are all very noob friendly distros. Try them out.

I wont be using a VM it's going to be on it own machine.

How do I make my ubuntu VM not so laggy

>this fucking retard again

Ubuntu derivative

give it more cores, vram, and ram

Main question is why do people use Linux? I do graphic design and like to customize UI's but I also want to learn programming. I have a spare computer with good specs lying around and was thinking of doing it. What would you recommend for me?

We have this thread every day. Use the fucking catalog

I use it because it's fun to use it
your programs might work with wine you can try that

go buy a steam machine and fuck off back to /v/?

Fun VMs to fuck around with. If you keep at it enough you'll realize all these trillions of loonix distros are just copy pasted debian/gentoo/arch clones with a different theme and more or less packages.

There's also that proton thing from the leaking faucet valve that works better with gaymes for a smaller performance hit than whine.

tripfags should be banned

>whahhh my distro is a special snowflake and not just shitty rehash like all these other stupid distro list that won't stop growing because us autists can't get a fucking grip and make something good together
Whatever you say, nerd.

>Linux OS

>implying I don't use Ubuntu
Nice strawman there, buddy

distrochooser.de/en/

Have fun exploring, user.

Attached: 71tvjPE.jpg (1920x1080, 389K)

if you can’t even search for a distro to use, you shouldn’t be using GNU/Linux.

lmao how is the backtrack user NOT the mint user?

Also isn't dj kali the new skiddie favorite?

upvoted

Kek

Is the only thing you do is shitpost on Jow Forums?

If the awnser is yes, then preety much any Linux os

If the answer is no, then windows

Spin a dildo, then shove it up your ass.

alot of the tutorials are demonstrated in kali, which is why alot of people start off with it. Backtrack was good when i came across it, i feel like kali fucked up a bit with the distro. it didnt feel the same. Plus no one wants to ever learn anything, everyone wants to be a hacker by clicking one button, such a disgrace. but yeah..

Try Kubuntu. Its the most stable distro with KDE on it and you can customize everything. With packages like the KDE SDK and kdevelop there is much potential to program your own widgets and even os themes

Attached: comfy-inside.png (362x362, 48K)

You start with Xubuntu. Then move to Devuan. After this Gentoo or Slackware.

based namefag

Start with Ubuntu. It's the easiest to set up and the install is pretty foolproof. It's also the easiest to find solutions for if you run into issues, and tutorials and the like. You can go with the default (customized) GNOME Ubuntu, Xfce Xubuntu, KDE Kubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu MATE, or Linux Mint Cinnamon (which is based on Ubuntu), or elementary OS (also based on Ubuntu)

Just look at screenshots of the desktop environments and pick one that attracts you. You can switch it up later. Cinnamon is the most like Windows Explorer, very traditional, but MATE is the traditional Linux desktop. KDE has eye candy and can also be configured like a traditional desktop and comes like that out of the box, same with Xfce. GNOME is more new age, you'll either like it or dislike it. Cinnamon, GNOME and KDE use more resources, you say you have a decent computer so these would be fine. But if you want to save resources you could go for Xfce or MATE.

There will be a learning curve, and no matter how much your desktop looks like Windows it will behave very differently. So be prepared to learn new things, and don't be afraid of the command line. It's usually the most direct way to accomplish things.

After a while Ubuntu might seem stale and boring, then you'll start distrohopping. You might consider Arch for the newest packages, but it's a process to install. Manjaro is basically Arch but preconfigured. Gentoo involves a lot of compiling and setup, but people report that it is rewarding. Slackware has the cool factor, but maintaining the system and installing software was annoying when i last used it (a long time ago). FreeBSD is fun, but lacks important stuff that are on Linux (native Steam, WIDEVINE drm for Netflix).

When you're done distrohopping you'll find one that works for you. Me? I think I'm settled on Debian testing. I'm just used to it, but I was distrohopping last week so we'll see if it lasts. no shame in staying with ubuntu forever either.

Attached: 1384887026187.png (1327x879, 528K)

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Xubuntu, trust me, I went in it with zero linux knowledge and am using it with no problems now, it uses the xfce interface instead of cancer gnome, you can customize it however you want

Install gentoo

based and redpilled

I was planning on installing fedora but the distrochooser test says antergos.
WAT DO?
I don't know anything about Linux though...

Attached: IMG_2258.gif (381x271, 462K)

If you have never used Linux before you install either Ubuntu or Linux Mint. If you're not running an ancient toaster then Cinnamon is a nice desktop environment, but you can try others as well. Those two distros are aimed for ease of use so they come with tools and programs preinstalled. They might give you an option to choose which desktop environment will be installed and that dictates what the whole desktop will eventually look like.

The second phase of this is optional. You distrohop to something else. It's better to first explore your first distro so much that you can pinpoint exactly what's wrong with it. Nothing is perfect but it's not useful to you if another distro focuses on fixing something irrelevant to you. Also with Ubuntu and Mint you can first learn the names of the programs you run, since they aren't all the same as in Windows. When you distrohop you might have to install programs yourself and it's better to have some foundation in your brains to know what you are looking to install.

Is there any beginner-friendly alternatives than those two? I develop an aversion for ubuntu-based shit, idk why.

Most distros are derived from either
>Red Hat
>Debian
>Gentoo
>Arch
so the beginner-friendly distros are just those distros with some easy-to-use configurations and pre-picked programs. Debian is the largest one and Ubuntu is made from Debian. There are tons of distros that are then made from Ubuntu, like Linux Mint. I would say that in the eyes of the distro developers pretty much all the smaller distros are beginner-friendly, since everyone has some kind of an idea how to improve it further but don't want to make everything from scratch. I have used Manjaro and I've had mixed experiences with it, sometimes it worked perfectly and was very comfy but sometimes on another install nothing worked and it was buggy. You might have developed some hate for Ubuntu because so many people think it has some flaws and some unknown distro with 2 developers and 8 users total is a lot better. I really think it's better to start with some very popular distro so there will be tons of help online for even trivial problems.

I'm trying to stop my distrohopping and settled on the ancient and original Debian, which is almost the oldest distro that's still being developed and also the largest. You can search for distros and then check which one of the previously listed distros it's derived from.

Attached: Debian.png (2267x1763, 784K)

Hmm i guess you're right.
The popular ones do have many support.
I concur then, ubuntu it is.

Attached: 1487812929310.gif (350x300, 1.99M)

oobanto

use an ubuntu derivative to test the waters and go from there. browse various DE's to see which derivative offers what you want first

Unironically Gentoo. It gives you a powerful system that is purpose built for you. The process of installing and managing it will give you a deeper understanding of gnu/linux.

Ignore all autists who try to give you shit for using Ubuntu derivatives, user. It's a distro that many people use to get into Linux (a lot of them stick with it) and there is a reason for that.

"It's popular" means compatibility and stability. LTS versions with extended support/development. Plus 99% of the time the installer sets up everything for you and all you have to do is hit next, just like your typical Windows installation. No messing around with configs required - it just werks.

Ubuntu is also somewhat custimizable out of the box. Pick a desktop environment that you like, they all work quite well on Ubuntu. You can also switch them around, it's easy.

linuxconfig.org/8-best-ubuntu-desktop-environments-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Ubuntu wiki & comminuty hub are also quite good. Since so many people use it, chances are you will have no problem finding someone who can help you. If not, Arch wiki is your friend.

Once you know your way around the OS, you can still switch to anything you want later.

I'm using Arch btw.

Attached: 2000px-Linux_Distribution_Timeline.png (2000x8794, 3.86M)