Ram timing

My build will be 60% photo editing, 30% video editing, and 10% gaming, I`ll be using Ryzen and my mobo max freq is 3466, out of the following which would benefit me the most and how drastic of a change will this be? the cost difference seems to average around $40 for a set of 2x8.

Nvme is already chosen as well as gpu and everything else.

3466 18-22-22-42
3400 16-16-16-36
3466 18-18-18-38

Attached: 02.spec.list.eng.jpg (1298x499, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-new-specifications-for-amd-ryzen™-2000-series-processors-and-x470-platform
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

2nd one

>My build will be 60% photo editing, 30% video editing, and 10% gaming
you have no idea how computer work so why don't you fucking jump off a bridge and never make a shitty thread on Jow Forums ever again. I think reddit or tomshardware is more your speed fag boy

This. Go buy a Mac like every idiot design faggot.

id go 3rd but i dobuyt it matters much

OP ignore this guy:He's too stupid to understand your question and got angry about his confusion

Ram timing is a meme. Literally makes no difference

but it's ryzen

Lmao

OP ignore this guy:He's too stupid to understand your question and got angry about his confusion.

Just buy 3000mhz CL16 and stop being gay

You're right, this is my first build and I`m upgrading from a 5 year old laptop, be great if you told me where my stupidity lies.

Pcpartpicker is the only source I`m using at the moment and ram is essentially the last thing for me to choose rather than dciding between rx 580 and 1060 6gb

I`m sticking to windows and don`t want a laptop or prebuild

Granted I`ve only been deducing what components I want over a 2 month period I`m going to have to agree with see
the options I`ve listed are the options I`m going with

OP here, if it`s going to be a 10 nanosecond difference then tell me that and stop being pretentious.

I understand enough to realize metophorically latency is how fast you get off the couch and frequency is how many task you can preform while off the couch in a certain amount of time, what I don`t understand is if the performance difference between the ones I`ve listed are going to be noticeable to the average human.

There are a lot of studies and benchmarks on the subject. I know because I was researching the same thing for DDR3 in 2011. Make your decision on those benchmarks. I'd personally go with the 16-16-16-36 - even if frequency is better, you can step down a notch on CAS maybe and get those last 66Mhz.

Thanks for a serious response.

I doubt I`ll overclock it until I`m comfortable enough but from what I`ve seen if I went with that one I should go 15-15-15-? and I`ll have to look more into where to take the voltage from there but I`ve seen programs like cpu-z are ideal for this.

the last game that came out I had any interest in trying was Kindgom come so I`ll more than likely just be playing modded gta 5 single player and fallout 3, and rarely, so overclocking will honestly be non-essential unless I just get really bored.

OP here

For video editing I was looking at magix pro or davinci resolve, resolve seems to utilize gpu acceleration more but seeing as I`m not exactly choosing the caddy of gpu I`ll more than likely just go with what torrent looks more user friendly.

Question is between those two would you recommend one over the other? Secondly if I have a legit CC subscription for lightroom and photoshop would it detect a cracked version of after effects or premier on my system? because I would much rather choose one of those two but was unsure if it would be an issue, premier I believe it is has an auto audio sync feature which would be great.

Basically, I just want to make sure I`m choosing a gpu that will allow me to scrub through my timeline and will show a lag-free preview (1080p for now) and I was hoping the 580 would achieve this, open to suggestions for both programs and gpu but 580 and 1060 6gb are where I`m leaning.

4k won`t be in my wheelhouse for months when I may get a gopro but even then it will be my secondary video source until I get something like a nikon d850 but that will be a couple years away, so I`m not too concerned with futureproofing for 4k

Make sure that the sticks you're buying are on the QVL. Any serious overclocking is done in the bios, but you should leave the voltage at the default voltage the sticks are rated at, unless you're going for bigger overclocks. Perhaps you won't need to change anything but the frequency and those specific sticks will run fine at your maximum supported 3466Mhz. When I say "step down", I mean you increase latency, going from 16 to 17, 18, etc.. 15 is "tighter" than 16. That means 15 it is lower latency and faster (and potentially less stable). So latency = lower is better, in simple terms. One usually overclocks the frequency, though. It's easier and gives similar gains. Latency is for those who really enjoy overclocking. Also, post in the pcbg next time.

Attached: 1506198607267.png (500x500, 208K)

Holy shit this is a lot of text from something that you won't notice and also just flushing money down the toilet that you won't get benefits to see any return from. Listen to

Yes the sticks I mentioned were released in conjunction with the series of cpu I`m choosing, I double checked down to the last digits of the part #

Pic related is my pcpartpicker list, the ram there will more than likely be switched out to the one with the timings that you suggested which is merely $30 more, if you see anything else there I should reconsider it would be appreciated to point it out.

Attached: Untitled2.jpg (936x696, 104K)

Op here

Maybe I`m on the spectrum after all.

>if you see anything else there I should reconsider
Yeah, like the fellow between our posts mentioned, I'd check benchmarks to see if you really want the performance gain for the price.

So if i`m not serious about overclocking but still want to dabble, I`d be better off sticking to overclocking frequency, and stability won`t be an issue.

So (and stupid question I`m sure) I can overclock the frequency on a 3400 stick to 3466, granted the boost will more than likely be negligible, but for shits and gigs this is doable, safe, and can be left longterm?

IIRC, diminishing returns kick in hard after 3200 MHz.

I did earlier today and the difference was all between as low as 3 and as much as 9 between the 3400 16 and the 3466 18, going down to the next stick (3200) on the QVL released this year specifically for my series cpu the difference was greater, by double if I`m not mistaken, and the price range of all sticks is between $198 and $224 so nothing drastic.

I`ll get shit on for saying it but I`m more dissapointed that the slightly faster stick doesn't go with my color scheme than I am that its $30 more

It was my understanding this is mainly true for gaming, and Intel.

Man the math is not hard.
Latency means how many clock cycles it takes for the stick of ram to perform the operation.
Clock cycles are what the Mhz in the stcik mean (assuming supported by the mobo and not overclocked)
1 mhz = 1/1000000 of a second
Multiply.

If memory doesn't fail me the advertised Mhz are for dual channel operation.

3000mhz is usually significantly cheaper, which is why I recommended that. Going above 3000 the price increases a lot and you're not getting much, 3000 is practically the same price as 2400.

When you increase the frequency or decrease the latency, you are always trading some lifetime (probably negligible) and usually stability. Now to regain rock solid stability you usually increase the voltage, which may put another dent into the items lifetime. Simply changing the frequency is fine, as long as it's stable. If you can stand programs crashing and blue screens, lower stability is fine too. I can clock my i7 930 from 2.8GHz to around 3.5GHz on stock voltage with no stability loss, for example.
>3 and as much as 9
9 what? Percent? That's hardly believable. 2% maybe, unless you're talking about some super specific workload. Don't fall for the RGB meme. I suppose if the price is close enough it doesn't matter, but do consider it otherwise.

Attached: 1452463320840.png (1755x1080, 776K)

Furthermore I really want to stick to ram that was released for the series of cpu I`m choosing and the 3200 option is essentially the same price.

gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-new-specifications-for-amd-ryzen™-2000-series-processors-and-x470-platform

Thank you for clarifying that

True, for the ryzen 7 2700x though the benchmark difference between 3000 and 3400 are more significant making the return less diminished, and not to sound like a snob but a extra $60 is not a big deal for me.

Sounds like I need to stick to stock speeds for now, desu I`d only be overclocking to increase render times and my video editing is for hobby anyways.

>9 what? Percent?
No I completely noobed out and just nticed the number was greater, I assumed it was a measurement of time, digging through my history to try to find it now

>Don't fall for the RGB meme

The rgb is the 3466 is around $30 cheaper actually but I`m not going to lie it caught my eye, but I`m taking your advice and going for the 16, since I`m doing photo editing mainy I don`t need things glaring at my face anyhow.

>pic related

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1099x380, 54K)

One thing to remember with the RGB RAM is that if you use suspend to ram power saving mode, your RAM will be giving you an obnoxious light show even if your PC is off. One thing to keep in mind if you use the thing in your bedroom.

This is what I believe I was referring to

Attached: aida64-ddr4-clock-speeds.png (692x626, 24K)

I accidentally replied to myself so see

The difference between RAM benchmark numbers and what you actually see from applications and games is much much slower. Ofcourse 5% faster ram will show 5% gains in s benchmark measuring only memory speed directly

Aye. But that's merely bandwith. Check benchmarks for actual workloads like rendering and so on, as well as gaming.

Yeah Other than the stock cooler on the 2700x and an area on the mobo I`m avoiding rpg, I build a list a few weeks ago and noticed I was spending extra money on blinking junk that i`d have to wrestle to sync up through various programs and it just seemed meticulous so I quickly abandoned it.

That rgb ram was just on the list and was one of the two higher frequencies with the same timing yet a lower cost but from what I`m learning in this thread I`m going to go for timing over frequency since the difference between the two frequencies are so minuscule anyways

Attached: 1e55d46e97ca6759c77c6ee07b4f3efa.1600.jpg (1600x1200, 258K)

Okay I`ll do that thanks

They show the sniper x 3600 and 3200 but not 3400, would It be ignorant of me to assume it should fall between the two?

Attached: 8572_12_skill-sniper-ddr4-3200-16gb-dual-channel-memory-review.png (602x700, 34K)

The 3200 is CAS 14, the 3600 is CAS 16. It probably falls between the two, but it's not linear.