Going to University soon and need a laptop. This will be used for Word Processing, light games and general browsing...

Going to University soon and need a laptop. This will be used for Word Processing, light games and general browsing. Thinking between a Asus Vivobook or a Microsoft Surface. My budget is around 1K CND but the cheaper the better provided it is a good performer. Any suggestions? Been out of the hardware game for YEARS so I am not too sure what is good anymore.

Attached: asus.jpg (500x500, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hp-probook-430-g5-13-3-lcd-notebook-intel-core-i5-8th-gen-i5-8250u-quad-core-4-core-1-60-ghz-4gb-ddr4-sdram-500gb/11647071
amazon.com/VivoBook-i7-8550U-GeForce-Windows-S510UN-EH76/dp/B0786TPWBP/ref=nav_signin?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0786TPWBP&pd_rd_r=00463aa3-8451-11e8-80ac-3d674b63b869&pd_rd_w=FPj4a&pd_rd_wg=i73RD&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=5825442648805390339&pf_rd_r=HZN17TJ20F73JRF9V4AA&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=HZN17TJ20F73JRF9V4AA&#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div
npr.org/2016/04/17/474525392/attention-students-put-your-laptops-away
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Old thinkpad and 900$ of hookers

Whynot something modern?

I5 8250U and a SATA SSD if you can afford it, if not just get something with an 8250U that looks sturdy, and get an ssd later.
8GB ram is the goal, 4GB is acceptable if you can upgrade later.
In order of part importance
8250U > SSD > 8GB ram

XPS 13

Actually 6GB RAM would be okay, but if you're not on an 8th gen i5 at least you'll regret it, and if you're on a spinning disk youll look like a faggot doing everything slower than everyone else

Go for the Surface. MS is really on the up and up and makes some awesome freaking machines.

m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hp-probook-430-g5-13-3-lcd-notebook-intel-core-i5-8th-gen-i5-8250u-quad-core-4-core-1-60-ghz-4gb-ddr4-sdram-500gb/11647071

Bam
HP ProBook are business class come with quality build materials and good keyboards, and easier to service/upgrade. i5 8250U is a solid base for any laptop and handles everything you want to do with it and more, you just need to slowly pump an SSD and or more RAM whichever you need first, and this thing can eventually carry you all the way through school and meet some demanding workloads with a few modest upgrades.

Or you can look for more similar systems but you get the idea.

this thread is an advert from microsoft marketing.

just get something mid tier with a 1080p display thats upgradable. I got an acer a few years ago an i5 and 940m with a small hd and low RAM for $500 but now i have a 1tb WD black and 16gb of DDR4 in it

this

Macbook pro 13"

Huawei matebook pro x, if portability is important. XPS 15 if performance

Writing this from an ASUS ZenBook. Good shit.

Dell Latitude

>?
why not something durable?

Prestigio Smartbook 133S

I'm in about the same situation and have been eyeing the XPS 13/15. Seems like the perfect laptop.

this is the best university laptop

Shill spotted

>Going to University soo and need a laptop
>word processing and gayming
just buy pen and paper, with 1000$ you can buy
>lifetime stock of reams
>printer + lifetime stock of ink
>lifetime stock of bics
probably still only a 1/4 of what a surface would cost.

Fuck Asus, got a refurb from them last year and it has 1/2 battery capacity, screen bleeds, overheating, and a worthless fingerprint reader

How about Matebook X pro. Heard it was amazing.

Don't buy refurbished electronics

3:2 3000x2000 touch display, very light, dedicated gpu and an i5 8250u or the i7 8550u, the specs are great, build quality is good. Only ports are 2 tb3 usb-c and
a usb-a though. Also customer support can be pretty awful since it's a Chinese brand.

actually bought the $500 asus last week and put an m2 in it. shits snappy, should last a few years.

I want a laptop:

>1080p
>i3 or i5
>at least 128gb SSD
>4-8gb memory
What is my best option for a laptop that isn't filled with bloatware.

Go to microsoft.com, enter in your key, download a clean ISO and reinstall.

Get a raven ridge AMD laptop, I'd HIGHLY advise staying away from anything intel right now due to more security vulnerabilities being discovered on their silicone.

There's people who unironically need customer support?

amazon.com/VivoBook-i7-8550U-GeForce-Windows-S510UN-EH76/dp/B0786TPWBP/ref=nav_signin?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0786TPWBP&pd_rd_r=00463aa3-8451-11e8-80ac-3d674b63b869&pd_rd_w=FPj4a&pd_rd_wg=i73RD&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=5825442648805390339&pf_rd_r=HZN17TJ20F73JRF9V4AA&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=HZN17TJ20F73JRF9V4AA&#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

I have it and it is really nice, not noisy and good

based and dellpilled

Just get an iPhone.

What if he's not gay?

Then just get a chinkphone

>vidya
user if you want to truly get that degree quick and make connections through networking and club activities then vidya needs to be dropped. College is the one time in your life you can alter your life drastically by meeting new people. Being a shutin on campus playing some boomers games is not gonna help you.

Hey Gramps, in uni they have online homework now so the old school method won't cut it. Spend your pension on Monster energy all you want but for the rest of us who can "get it up" we need some recent tech.

hookers are generally VERY modern

>carrying/storing 10 pounds of paper around and needing at least 5 minutes to access any single piece of paper in 2018.

>gets a defective unit
>ur fuck mate.jpeg

I just went to college and I thought my old Alienware would work but it shut off with no warning after 30 minutes. When I got home to charge it it said it had 91 percent battery left. I guess leaving it plugged up for 2 years made the battery kill. Now I'm using it as an extra screen at my desk with Stardock Multiplicity.
That night I got a Lenovo Yoga at Best Buy, and since half my textbooks are digital the 2 in 1 form factor has been very nice. I can sit in the comfy chairs at the library and hold the laptop rotated around and is like having a 12 inch tablet that can do real computer things too.
Old laptop battery going to shit was a blessing in disguise because school is gonna be a lot comfier now.

Lenovo Thinkpad

>his university has obligatory assignments
maybe you're better off to kindergarten. Also, with all your big ass tuition your university cannot afford some labs?
I do electronic engineering and what I cannot do with stuff on the campus I do at home, no need for a 1k€ piece of tech.

>carrying 10 pounds of electronics is somewhat better
I stock everything in my car. I don't need to carry a ream worth of paper in my backpack every single instant.
As for accessing, where do you think folders and files take their name off from? If you can't even manage real ones then you're not ready for a computer.

Alienware battery probably wasn't poor capacity, just couldn't supply voltage.

Stupid modern fags, what you should be using is a stone table where you carve your data. So what if it takes you a full day to write one sentence? Ergonomics are for pussies. A lifetime supply of stone tables can cost you nothing if you put a little elbow grease on it. And if you can't keep a couple of thousand stone tables organized then you only got yourself to blame. Why even bother studying anything if you're only going to half-ass it?

Just get thinkpad and install Linux mint on it.

Thinkpad or Dell Latitude/Precision series

Thinkpad T 420-450. Save money. That’s one of the first things you need to learn as you enter life as a self sufficient adult.
I have a T410 I bought recently on ebay and an inspiron 1500 series or something. I love the T410 more. It just werks and it does everything I need with a whole lot of battery life and less distractions.
Also. Vidya is a waste of time in uni. I promise you you’ll have a much better time if you cut the cord on that one now and socialize more. Or join an autistic game club. There’s always a group that gets together at the local student center weekly to play smash. You should spend your time studying and networking though. Think of it like this, you have ~4 years to find a career you can start before you graduate, myself and many others like me failed in that aspect because we wasted our time instead of studying and putting ourselves out there. Just my bit of advice for you, a 2nd year super senior

PROTIP: handwritten notes make you remember shit better and your brain remembers where that one fact was in your notes really well and somehow it helps you remember what's next to that thing too.

Hand write your notes then digitize them later if you so choose.
t. Adult that's been to college a long time ago and is going to shit on kids in my classes due to my life experiences

Attached: Screenshot_20180830-122701_Evernote.jpg (1440x2960, 659K)

Your point being? That in 2018 is mandatory to throw a month worth of salary (for a student anyway) to have a portable shitposting machine what will be used as electronic paper for taking notes?

Thinkpad T440s with Mint Cinnamon on it and you are good to go
Costs around 400 bucks

Could be but now it has a comfy new home on my desk and I have a new toy haha

>This will be used for Word Processing, light games and general browsing.
>My budget is around 1K CND

Attached: 1510199754001.jpg (499x499, 50K)

fuck u rajneesh

Are you a prof now or grade school teacher? I’m considering becoming a professor one day but dunno if I could make it through getting my phd since my gpa is shit

>Your point being?
That maybe there's some fucking middle ground between spending $1k and writing everything down with a pen? There are cheap laptops out there. Typing with a keyboard is infinitely better than graduating with a permanently cramped unusable claw from writing so much. Pen is slow and not ergonomic. Pretty much the reason why keyboards exist in the first place. If you're writing anything more than your signature with a pen you're doing it wrong. The only plus side for pen and paper is money and there are way more negatives to compensate that.
>slow to create
>exhausting to create
>needs tons of physical space
>backups - if exist at all - will require tons of space
>searching for specific data is slow
>editing or fixing your notes later is practically impossible, you just start over
>asking for notes from someone else will risk you not being able to even read their handwriting
Not to mention that you can sell the laptop once you stop needing it to reduce the cost and if you ever need your digital data in physical paper you can just print it anyway.

>tfw regularly study on a laptop but take notes with pencil and paper

Pencil and paper are the best way to take quick notes since it gets more ingrained in your memory or something due to the more active hand motions. At least, it works for me, I find it harder to take notes with a laptop even though I'm a fairly fast typist.

Pen and paper is better for taking notes. You use short hand and diagrams. Diagrams on laptops take a long time.

Better off taking notes with pen/paper and then typing them up with more content later.

>permanently cramped unusable claw from writing so much
I basically write 8 hours a day, my wrist is perfectly fine, so are the ones of many people I know. Maybe you're doing it wrong.

>pen is slow and not ergonomic. Pretty much the reason why keyboards exist in the first place
There's evidence that writing your notes on a keyboard cripples your brain ability to learn what's writing. It might be convenient for writing huge amount of texts but then you're flying over the main point of taking notes: learning. Also git gut, from practice I can write as fast as the professor is talking.

>backups - if exists at all - requires ton of spaces
paper doesn't have a failure rate, like hdd or ssd have. I won't stop working or make itself unreadable just because it wants to. The possibility of them burning or being drown is basically close to 0. Only real concern is losing/someone steals your backpack. But even then, if you don't have any tech, why would they.

>searching for specific data is slow
Put the date of creation and then sort them by it, something some systems cannot do apparently.
>editing or fixing
that's the main idea of the Feynman technique. Also liquid erasers and pencils exists if you're that prone to errors.
>asking for notes
there's literally no reason to unless you're a lazy fuck or you've been missing. Even then someone in your class is bound to have a readable calligraphy.

Try harder.

I have a T430 that I ordered new in 2012. I still use it for college to this day.

There are 2 pound laptops grandpa. Files have to be physically accessed but an ssd can instantly access files. Physical paper deteriorates easily too. Only brainlets do worse with tech because the """advantage""" to paper is that it's slower so you have to choose your words carefully. Only an absolute retard needs to be forced to do this.

This is absolute bullshit. Do you use muscle memory to remember what's on your notes??? Being good at note taking is nothing to do with speed but rather quality. People foal with laptops because they try to quickly copy everything down ibstea dog thinking about what they hear and summarizing.

You've never gone to school stop larping. Paper smudges and crumpled easily. Even the worst ssd will survive for years. Imagine trying to search for a keyword grandpa. Imagine trying to make flash cards. Imagine trying to organize notes by topic instantly or by date instantly.

I dunno about you, but it sure helped me. It forces you to take more concise notes instead of trying copy everything down.

I tried doing it on a laptop but the stuff I was learning didn't stick as well compared to just hand writing notes.

>Physical paper deteriorates easily too
Stop with this meme. There are book well over millennia old that are still perfectly fine on this day, still readable and usable. I've yet to see a digital storage device last more than a decade, let alone it will in a thousand years. As far as longevity goes paper is in order or magnitude ahead of eletronic devices.
All other arguments a just garbage.

and beer.

Thinkpad, hookers and beer.

When I take notes I always try to write or at least think of something that could be said about what I just learned that's not explicitly told. I think the advantage to pen and paper is just habit. I doubt people who grew up using phone keyboards would have much trouble typing effectively.

I'm left handed and my paper doesn't smudge. It really sucks to be you, eh?

>books that were never read and restored multiple times
Define readable too. I mean do you think the constitution is readable? Modern ssds have read write cycles that should make it last for a decade for the average user.

When I'm taking notes, I take them with a ton of diagrams. Even abstract concepts I'm drawing tables, arrows to link shit, indentation for sub-topics. It's all stuff that would take me longer on a PC.

I don't expect anything durable made by americans. There's a copy of Dante's Divina Commedia dating back to 1337, ironically. It's still fine. Countless from the XVI century exists in mint conditions

>tfw it's 2007+11 and touch screen exists
You can also draw and take a picture of the diagram. If you put the time in and use specialized software you can probably draw a lot of the diagrams you do with keyboard and mouse more quickly.

I try to do something similar, basically repeat what was told but using my own words to really process it.

I found that I don't really have to look at my notes too much, unless it's older content that I'm refreshing on. Just the process of note-taking helps me a lot.

I may start translating my notes to PC though just in case.

Yeah, nah. Touch screens suck for drawing without a quality resistive machine with good pressure levels. Even then, those are better for precision than stuff like writing.

Whenever I see examples of writing on a tablet, it looks like a retard with a felt tip had a small seizure.

Student, my state lets oldfags into community college for free

>Get 2 in 1 laptop or a tablet
>Get a decent stylus/pen
>Shit on everyone in both regards

My friend recently got himself an Ipad Pro and an iPen, and despite me hating Apple, I see how him taking notes on that thing surpasses both me on my 2000$ laptop and everyone else with paper

Books written a thousand years or even a couple of hundred years ago were printed on very different paper than the disposable trash we use today. Even hundred year old books are crumbling now.

There are 2 in 1s with really good digitizer s but they cost a lot

Nice. Good luck old man.

So did a friend of mine. Apparently spending 2000$ doesn't make you smart, he's still retarded as before but now with less money.

Burger in a commie fag state. My state colleges are free for everyone who aren't upper middle class.

>I basically write 8 hours a day
I would appreciate it if you didn't shove your poor life choices on my face.
>There's evidence that writing your notes on a keyboard cripples your brain ability to learn what's writing.
I'm almost afraid to ask since you'll again skip everything else then but where's the proof? I'm pretty sure the point is that you memorize stuff if you have to write it down yourself, not the method you write it down with.
>It might be convenient for writing huge amount of texts
It might be, and it is. Objectively better than a pen.
>from practice I can write as fast as the professor is talking.
So if someone is typing with a keyboard as fast as the professor is talking you are telling me you'll memorize it better if you write it with a pen as fast as the professor is talking? Not making any sense.
>paper doesn't have a failure rate
Everything does and destroying paper is not a superhuman task. Not to mention that with this mentality you won't have those backups. You could destroy a laptop in a blender and still have all your files perfectly usable the next day, because backing up digital files is easy.
>Put the date of creation and then sort them by it, something some systems cannot do apparently.
So instead of using a keyword search you want to first check which month or year it must have happened approximately? That sounds convenient.
>that's the main idea of the Feynman technique. Also liquid erasers and pencils exists if you're that prone to errors.
Irrelevant as digital notes are better at this.
>there's literally no reason to unless you're a lazy fuck or you've been missing. Even then someone in your class is bound to have a readable calligraphy.
So you can't think of any reason why anyone in any school at any time ever would have a need for notes and having a hard time getting them in readable form? Doesn't sound like your brains are working that great either, even with all that writing.
>Try harder.
Yawn.

>muh convinience
Yes, that a really try hard attempt. Most point aren't even worth answering because it's just rambling about speeeed.

npr.org/2016/04/17/474525392/attention-students-put-your-laptops-away
There is much more, I cannot link them all. Since you're such a tech queen, search more for yourself

The link you provided is very amusing. I guess you didn't want to read it yourself because it was typed. Not only did you pretty much skip my whole post even when I said it would happen, you provided an article saying that the benefit of pen compared to typing is that you have to think about it more because it's slower and you can't write everything down, you have to summarize it on the go. So in a situation where two people have an identical speed the method doesn't matter at all. Just like I thought. The article is saying that a pen is so gimped that you have to put some extra thought into the end result. It's also mentioning how laptops might divert your focus on Facebook and uses that as an argument as well. Nothing about pen actually being a better device to actually produce the notes for later use.

Thinkpad X220

Again, the whole point is learning not competing on "who's fastest at writing down what the professor says". Being forced to elaborate on the fly what you're being told vs. write it down mindlessly because you can keep up, helps you with that. Also it's true that if you've a source of distraction you're probably going to fall for it, I see it happen countless time in class.

>Again, the whole point is learning not competing on "who's fastest at writing down what the professor says".
This is not something I have said or meant. I know there's no contest in the class about this. I didn't automatically accept everything you said as the truth and found out it was the correct thing to do. If you're writing with a pen as fast as the professor talks (like you previously bragged with) you're nullifying your point of pen being better. At that point it stops getting the benefit of being slow and forcing you to think about what to write. Then it's just a matter of ergonomics and practicality, where a pen loses to a laptop every time. Also if you're afraid of getting distracted there are ways around it. Laptops commonly have a way to shut down the wifi antenna with a switch or a key combination. Also don't install any games on it. Now it's just a practical note taking device.
>Because people can type faster than they write, using a laptop will make people more likely to try to transcribe everything they're hearing. So on the one hand, Mueller and Oppenheimer were faced with the question of whether the benefits of being able to look at your more complete, transcribed notes on a laptop outweigh the drawbacks of not processing that information. On the other hand, when writing longhand, you process the information better but have less to look back at.

asus ux331, xps13
with i5-8250u or i7-8550u
16gb ram
512 gb ssd
1000 bucks
beware with the mx150 embedded on some comps, nvidia downclocked them

>If you're writing with a pen as fast as the professor talks (like you previously bragged with) you're nullifying your point of pen being better.
You were talking about being slow at writing by hand, I that with practice you can speed up. Sometimes it's unavoidable to speed up as the professor might kick into overdrive, maybe by writing equations and at the same time explaining what he's doing, so it's necessary to write quickly or else stay behind; in this case there's a tangible benefit in being able to write down quickly without afterthought.
Also I write down tons of math, stuff you cannot quickly type with a keyboard because of all the funny symbols, symbols you're bound to draw, which negates the whole convenience argument.