/tpg/ Thinkpad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1535591315083.jpg (675x900, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NNJsFURpMT4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for x200 master race

Attached: aa.png (132x208, 8K)

Anyone replaced the DVD drive in their t440p with a disk caddy? Is it worth it or should I just replace the HDD with a SSD?

You should do both. Get an SSD for your root, boot, and swap partitions, and use the HDD for home.

Attached: ThinkFag-General.jpg (407x596, 133K)

Calm down my dude

No reason to go and make rude images of me

Nothing better to do?

Attached: gR0E3Ld.gif (300x300, 1.86M)

always needed a new laptop, I have an old toshiba satellite, but it's fucked up because I played vidya on it like a retard years ago and its been not used since I got a desktop, keyboard has sticky keys and doesn't work properly+battery issues, and trackpad died
need a laptop that's cheap for school and programming/using krita so performance doesn't need to be the best, wish one should I consider? refurbished or used? ebay/amazon?

Calm down my guy, it's from like three weeks ago when I got b& for calling you a faggot because you were spurging out about how you hate traps. Shit was hilarious.

Attached: bevis+butthead.png (525x809, 822K)

liquid metal - yes/no?

lmao

How will my T420 fair for an intro 3D game class? Should fine for some simple shit, right?

My T430 slice battery doesn't charge anymore once it hit 0.00%. It assumes it's full, and tlp-stat is giving me a charge total for it (it's 98% or something), but it refuses to power the system from it.

Can you power the system from a slice battery alone? I might try forcing my ThiccBad to use it.

Attached: 1513281041082.jpg (240x240, 8K)

>wants to buy a thinkpad
>go for "flagship" T580
>CPUs options are all U models
>to the trash it goes
Why do they do this? At at time when gayming laptop come with almighty HQ or even HK CPU... What a waste.

Would y'all pay 440 for a w540 with the 4800mq and 32 gigs of RAM, 240gb ssd

Hello /tpg/, I received my Thinkpad X200 and I upgraded it to 8gigs of ram and now I want to put a SSD in it and install Gnu/Linux on it, but it just don't want to detect my SSD for some reason.
I plugged it and unplugged it multiple times but it doesn't show up in the BIOS, what should I do ?
I know it's possible to put a SSD in a X200

Attached: IMG_20180830_103150.jpg (3456x4608, 2.04M)

Just got an x130e
How fucked am I?
Literally just need it for emails and minor web browsing on the go
Wiped w10 and put w7 on it, only because work requires some windows-only programs on it

Because T is their business line, not their gaming line. It's better to have a ULV CPU with longer battery life. The only thing that really distinguishes it from the Carbon now is the better I/O, other than that the products are quite close together.

Personally, I'd rather keep my true quad core CPU, but I'm not also a business leasing 500 of these.

Well, I kept trying and it eventually worked.

Attached: 1D3573F3A4A5416F94A69D60DFBB659C.png (789x750, 21K)

ROST IT!
Why are Thinkpads (Maybe T4XXs) better than the Dell XPS 13?
If you convince me, i'll buy a thinkpad :P

Attached: serveimage.jpg (5472x3648, 683K)

Anyone here ever oiled their Thinkpad's fan? Mine is getting pretty loud with its fan noise and I'm thinking that it's likely the fan has worn out its lubrication.

Depends on what engine you're using. I think I remember Unity working okay though not great on my T420, and I had to specifically run Godot through the discrete GPU because the integrated graphics didn't have the correct shader models, or something.

clit mouse
literally if you've tried one you can't go back
it's torture for me trying to upgrade atm because i'm stuck with three specific product lines because no one else makes clit mice now aside from lenovo, dell and hp

I bricked my x60 while flashing my BIOS, should I scrap it or try to fix it?

How long did it take you guys to become fast and accurate with the trackpoint? Had my X230 for about a week now and I'm still awful with it compared to the trackpad.

Will not work well for 3D modelling or environments. Will be fine for everything else. It's not just about how many polygons it can handle, the renderers can throw a shitfit at random if the profile isn't a perfect match. I had to do 3D modelling on an NVS card, and shadows would strobe/flick whenever an object was moved. It was a horribly unusable experience.

I can play FPSes with it - just a question of proper sensitivity and acceleration setting.

Will the screen from a Latitude D630 work in a T61? It's the same size, shape and from the same era.

got x220 a week now and it's already easy peasy

question: is there a thinkpad that has a replaceable graphics card that I can put a card more suitable for gayms or should I just get an external gpu?

The TrackPoint is overrated

Is the E485 any good?
Anything below 500€ 14" Better than this?

youtube.com/watch?v=NNJsFURpMT4

p52 vs xps 15, why one over the other? It seems like xps has heating issues which ain't as bad on the p52, i also like trackpoints a lot, do you think this is enough to justify one over the other?

who is this goddess

bump. somebody help this man

i currently own and use both.

xps is a good computer. better than most. thinkpad is a great computer. can't go wrong with either.

i prefer thinkpad bc once you get used to the hardware, you won't be able to go back. feels so sturdy without being clunky. xps feels flimsy even though the keyboard and trackpad are on the better side. plus the webcam is autistic.

thinkpads have better ports and ventilation. how hot does your xps get? if you are running lots of programs or something, an xps will be cooler (more comfort, less risk of damage).

and the memeball is actually really great when you get used to it.

if none of those reasons appeal to you, just stick with the dell. it's still a good buy.

xps is prettier (subjective), more "portable" and it's probably better for gayms. p52 is built like a tank and will probably age much better than the xps. it's also more powerful at almost every level

what the fuck. literally how

is this fake?

I want a thinkpad so bad so that I can look like a hackerman >:( but I have no money right now PepeHand

Is thinkpad tablet have really bad build quality?
I have T520 at home and I use that mostly, But in the next few weeks I'll be reassigned to a task that require my to stay at site for several days at a time, so I was thinking of getting something smaller, and since most of the stuff I do is media consumption I thought getting X220t/X230t would be good choice.

Attached: 1533301790532.jpg (658x1124, 363K)

>xps better for gayms
>says p52 more powerful at every level
I don't think i get it.
Also i have a fetish for indestructible things, which probably settles it.
Thanks.

Attached: wc.jpg (900x1000, 199K)

>sleeping on the floor
Thinkpad users everyone.

How shit are the batteries that come with used thinkpads?
Also have any of you any experience with those mobile internet sticks, are they good?

I have found it good for games like that, but for moving around the desktop I find using it a chore and it makes my fingers hurt.

The dish type cap he has in that video is the best. The furry type one is terrible.

A485 when? Does the release delay mean that the chinks fucked the design up somehow and are having to re-engineer some shit to try and make the laptop work? They can't figure out how to cool the 2700u properly using the full 25w TDP can they? They're gonna fucking gimp it and run it at 15w like the other Ryzen laptops aren't they?

T530 with the i5 3380m and 8 gigs of RAM for $240?

Worth it?

Elitebook 2560p from ebay my friend. can prolly get a decent one for around $100 used/$150ish refurbished. replace the drive with a $20 60gb SSD and it'll be a nice little machine. that's my current setup ATM. I don't program but its perfect for writing docs and powerpoints. really lightweight with a nice keyboard. screen ain't the best but it could be worse. fast as fuck.

true utilitarians
it's good for your back

bad choice of words, the P52 is more powerful for everything except games because it's got the Quadro graphics cards which are not optimized for games. its made with 3d modelling in mind.
the xps will also be more likely to oveheat on you if you're using it for demanding tasks for long while the P52 is, again built like a tank (like most other Thinkpads) Im personally thinking about getting the xps 15 since Im a loser who plays videogames

So since this x250 has a 1080p panel, everything is really fucking small and hard to read. What's the preferred way to dealing with it? Increasing system font? Or just using xrandr for screen sclaing?

Get prescription glasses.

Did you post this thinking you were funny?

I'm just trying to help.

depends on what you're doing
imo 1080p shouldnt really need scaling but if you're gonna be using office software and browser mostly, just zoom on that. potatoshop has a setting for large icons (or it did last time i checked)
increasing system font should be enough, set some commands for zoom in and out.
if you wanna be 'that guy' you can zoom on xfce with ctrl scroll on some distros

5 minutes

Thanks user, that works on my machine. I just can't read shit on here without a bit of scaling. Jow Forums at that high of ppi was pretty torture, so I bumped up my universal zoom to 120 percent and changed my fonts to size 12, much better. It'll take a little time to get used to the UI elements being so small (my usual monitor is ~96 ppi at 24 inches) but it's a nice screen.

Although the fact that I need to zome this in like this is already a strike to me just hopping back to my X220T.

buying new machine for programming, development, general shit

OPTION1: Lenovo ThinkPad E580 (ouuu yeah)
CPU: i7 8550u
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400MHz
SSD: 512GB pcie
15.6 FHD IPS display
Price: 1390 euros

OPTION2: DELL XPS 15
CPU: i7 8750h (6-core 12th)
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
SSD: 512GB
15.6 FHD IPS display non-touch
Price: 1500 euros

OPTION3: HP Elitebook 850 G5
CPU: i7 8550u
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz
SSD: 512GB pcie
15.6 FHD IPS display
Price: 1450 euros

>what do guys

I played Quake 3 like that for a while, it's pretty easy but after an hour or two after intense fingering your finger starts to hurt

>X200(s/t. -s requires soldering)
Just got a 900p X200s that seems to have a SOIC-8 BIOS chip, which would not require soldering. Ordered a clip for this, so can try to flash soon.

all of these are shit kill yourself

Dell if you must. Other two are hard garbage computers

HAHAHAHAHAHA GET DUNKED ON STUPID ZOOMERS

How's the lappy working for you? What did you install?

So wait, modern x series thinkpads all have soldered ram? That's really fucking disappointing. What's the fucking point? Is it even possible to desolder it and change it?

Am I doomed to my X220 until the day I die?

Komodo Dragon

a week with an x230. it's so comfy, loving it so far especially the keyboard. the screen is the only thing that bad.

Attached: x230.png (1366x768, 629K)

Where's the trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1535314171406.jpg (1280x1280, 780K)

How do I undervolt my P52? The Xeon isn't on the list of supported CPUs for the software.

Fuck all these listings that won't show resolution

What's the best website to order a new thinkpad to my door?

lenovo.com

For me it's the opposite. You can try adjusting sensitivity and the dead zone to be able to move around quickly without using much pressure.

they don't ship to my location :(

you jelly?
ok, dell is decent

Should I upgrade my X220T to an X230/X230T? I need to replace the palm rest, replace the hinge (wobbly), get a new battery, and probably replace something around the express slot since the slot doesn't stay closed which I can't imagine is healthy for the laptop.

Only reason I would is that I wouldn't mind getting an i7 x230, since Windows runs like shit on my x220 and it makes it frustrating to use things like Microsoft Office. I'm surprised people have such good luck with Windows, everything feels crappy. I've been told it could just be due to a weak iGPU on my X220 and Windows is an unoptimized piece of shit.

Attached: thinkp.png (600x450, 227K)

Thinking of getting X220T to use as media consumption device /PDF reader.
Do you recommend it?

it has to pass to be a trap you know

How about you do this:
>ditch windows
>use libreoffice or run ms office in a vm

I've already ditched windows. I sometimes need to use it for a few programs, with Office being one of them. (I use OneDrive since I work on a lot of projects.)

I only have 8gb right now, but I can't imagine my experience with shit windows performance being any better in a VM.

Attached: 042559.jpg (1228x720, 59K)

>get into bed
>get cozy
>open your thinkpad
>it boots your favorite GNU
>desktop riced
>comfy binds
>start playing your favorite anime
>the thiccpad is old and gets a little warm
>but the basement is cold so it's like a big handwarmer on your chest
you might not like it, but this is what peak comfy looks like

>weak iGPU on my X220 and Windows is an unoptimized piece of shit.
You can thank Windows Vista for that

>get cozy
How?
I keep having back pain and neck pain, no matter what I do.

How are the upgraded models? Do they work with docking stations or no?

I'm trying to switch my Alienware laptop for a Thinkpad so that I can get away from gaming and focus on programming. What do you guys recommend? I'd much prefer something with a good battery life and sturdy quality. Extra points if it looks like shit cause I live in the Orlando area and there are too many Puerto Ricans looking to steal shit. Thanks.

Attached: 1534697103434.jpg (500x750, 72K)

maybe you should do something that fights back pain

Attached: trainspotting.jpg (581x390, 46K)

X220T's tend to go for the same price as newer x models. I'm not saying the X220T is a bad machine by any stretch of the imagination, but costs have evened out. Consider the X250 if you are a light user.

X220 benefits:
>Dual channel ram that isn't soldered in
>Sturdier
>Great keyboard and trackpoint + buttons
>tablet is kinda neat
>screen resolution is fine at the size
Cons:
>Way heavier than a modern laptop with a large battery
>runs hot
>iGPU is kinda poor
>feels sluggish if you use Windows
>no USB 3.0 unless you get the i7 version I believe

X250 Pros
>brighter screen
>higher resolution (you'll need screen scaling imo)
>way better battery life
>Display Port
>lighter
>runs cooler, more comfortable
Cons:
>Keyboard is "meh," I only have a Chicony though
>gay keyboard layout
>gay soldered ram
>gay undervolted CPU
>Worse speakers becaues they are on the bottom (for what purpose???)
>all of Jow Forums will laugh at you

If you'll use the tablet feature though, definitely just grab the x220T. It's good for light applications, but it's 2011 WACOM tech so don't expect it to be great. I'd say pick up the X230T, swap the keyboard, and flash new firmware to get it functional though. Also if you use GNU/Linux, there are no good applications that take advantage of the stylus anyways. Which is also why I keep Windows installed.

I think he cute.

Like?

I've had no problems with running windows in a vm on my T420 with i5-2520m. Just avoid running windows 10, especially in virtualbox, as it's performance in a vm is unbearable. With pretty much anything else, I can multitask and even put the vm under load at the same time. Oh, and I have 8 gigs of RAM as well.

>If you'll use the tablet feature
If you mean drawing then no.
I'll just fold the screen, read pdfs, though I like to take written notes, or explain something to myself with small digram.
>pick up the X230T
I assume it's smaller and lighter than the X220T, and I don't care about the keyboard very much.
>GNU/Linux
I though the thinkpad have good support.

>I have 8 gigs of RAM
>tfw 4 GiB of RAM for the T420 cost as much as getting a refurbished T420

Need a decently fast laptop for working and streaming. Preferences include 1080p screen, ssd, and backlit keyboard. I want to spend around 500 usd any suggestions?

eh, I might give it a shot, but I won't be able to get away from Windows if I still want to use the stylus in any real capacity. Maybe I can use passthrough, but I'm not optimistic about that.

I wanna start doing C/low level stuff and learning Linux since I've always been a windows fag. What would you recommend for a thinkpad that's super cheap and mainly for learning?

Attached: 1517127962701.jpg (1920x1080, 1.63M)

Yeah it's Unity. I have my desktop but I want a mobile unit to use while in class. I'm guessing none of the other recommended TPs will suit my needs?

Frankly, I don't find the X220T to be comfortable for that. It's not TERRIBLE, but the battery doesn't let it sit flat on a table. Might be alright for lap reading, but you won't be able to hold it up as easily as say a surface tablet. On that front, I might recommend the yoga series. I had bought one with a dedicated GPU before I realized I was gonna be able to bring my desktop with me to college, and I thought it was a nice laptop. Only thing that was sucky was the screen was glossy, but it was a beautiful screen.

It's the same size and weight I believe, but it's a better choice I think now that you can get the original keyboard working in the X230T. Both are fine choices though, just depends on you .

They have great Linux support, but the stylus is treated as a mouse input unless I am mistaken.

>learning linux
They made this great program called VirtualBox that you can use from windows to "learn" all the linux you want.

Also why would you want a workstation-replacement instead of something lightweight? It's considerably more comfy to use something portable and dump rendering/compiling work via ssh to a more powerful machine you have at home.

these are lightweight ultrabooks though