Unity

What went wrong? Why does everybody hate it?

Attached: unity_ubuntu1804_2.png (1382x838, 300K)

Gnoma but worse

I liked unity, it was a really nice UI.

The side-anchored launcher is cancer.

It's better for 16:9 brainlets.

The basic concepts it was founded on (like the global menu and that "dock" thing on the side) are bad ones.

Nobody hated it but GNOME shills. Unity was really nice and made a lot of interesting and legit good design decisions.
It's just that the community is shit and always bitches when Canonical starts a new project, because they want Canonical to use whatever bullshit Red Hat is pushing at the moment.
Unity is what GNOME 3 should've been. In fact, Unity only exists because GNOME refused to accept Canonical's contributions to the DE.

Unity is legit the only reason why I'm staying on 16.04 forever

>global menu
>bad
Nigga you high? Global menu was one the best things about Unity. In fact, GNOME is now trying to replicate it with hamburguer menus and client-side decorations.
The dock at the left allowed users to save screen space and the global menu saved precious vertical space. It was functional, useful and esthetic.

Unity is still available in 18.04. Though it's unmaintained.
There's also Yunit (which is kinda dead) and UBPorts working on finishing Unity 8.

Changing all the usual features (toolbar, launcher, program-list) from where users are expecting to find them (bottom or top) to arbitrary locations will really piss users off.

Add that horrible theme on top of it and it really was a full on failure already at that point. Like do they not have anyone non-idiot doing design there or is it intentional sabotage? Maybe canonical is controlled by Microsoft.

unity was just about the only good thing about ubuntu

i wish they would have taken steps to make it more portable and available on other distros, then maybe it would have seen more support

oh yes, it's gnome shills. get the fuck over it. if it had so many 'legit good design' decisions, it should not have failed.

My grandma understood it better than the windows ui and asked me to install linux on her computer

I didn't like it too much because i3 exists but looks like it was good for some people.

The same reason everyone hates windows 8/8.1 full screen start. Its a bad design for anything not-a-tablet.

The design was fine for 2011. The changes are barely noticeable after a while. The top bar is exactly how MacOS and Android works, so it doesn't matter. The left bar is pretty easy to get used to.
It wasn't a failure. Shuttleworth shut the project down because the company was bleeding money developing Unity 8 and they couldn't bleed money at that point because Canonical was just about to enter the stock market.
Ditching Unity actually cost Canonical a lot of users, and the change to GNOME has been far more painful than they anticipated.

That universal UI shit that was supposed to work across desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, and presumably other shit (I believe they called this "convergence") was Canonical's dumbest idea. You can make a UI that works for touchscreen devices and is shitty for keyboard-and-mouse devices, or a UI that works for keyboard-and-mouse devices but is shitty on touchscreen devices. If you try to have it both ways you wind up with a UI that's shit on both.

The rest of the world recognized this and said "Yeah, no thanks", which is one reason why their phone project was such a failure.

>Android
Working like a phone/tablet OS on desktop/laptop isn't fine.
>Mac
I don't think people buy macbooks for their OS, but for their design/brand.
Lets face it, the ubuntu theme is projectile vomit inducing stuff.

It worked just like a desktop DE, unlike GNOME. The only difference is that Unity added the menus in the window border.

It wasn't a universal UI. The UI itslef changed depending on the form factor and size of the device. Ubuntu Mobile failed because they couldn't find an OEM to build devices, and because Facebook refused to release WhatsApp on that OS. Basically the same shit that killed SailfishOS and FirefoxOS.

It's a GNOME skin with more stability issues. But it's UI was the best and still is good.

This. The point of Unity was to be a tablet/mobile UI as well as desktop. That's why it looked so ugly. And since the Ubuntu phone was a gigantic failure, there's no reason for it to exist.

It's not XFCE

>Unity is still available in 18.04
Gnome shit needs to get patched in order to work correctly

That it's not being developed anymore

It was so much better than gnome lol. Gnomes garbage to manage and gnome always forces itself everywhere.

The day they announced it it was clear it was a “boo, GNOME 3” and a temporary hideout for stiff-brained boomers kind of thing, thus would be dead in just a couple of years. And so it is.