Proton thread

can we expect to use the changes made by valve's proton to run other windows programs on linux on the future with better compatibility and performance?

Have anyone managed to do so?

What're your thoughts on the software? Is microsoft on suicide watch? Lets discuss!

Attached: 12728.proton.jpg (335x250, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i can run my steam VNs without installing a separate steam instance now
just werks
idk about suicide watch, but im finally losing reasons to stay on windows on my desktop

Attached: keroro_etb.jpg (300x284, 20K)

No really, mostly videogame begin programmer in tiny OS layers mostly DirectX(audio,Graphics,controls) or OpenGL plus audio or graphics allow proton just works.

But average software begin Windows Form,a lot special framework for windows or some heavy OS operations.

But do you think it is an step on the right direction? i think it has the potential to help development on projects like reactOS and maybe get us to a point where we could install windows programs hassle free.

Is anybody having problems with controllers all of a sudden?
DS4 isn't recognized by Steam at all (works in the OS just fine)
DS3 is recognized by Steam and can be used in Big Picture Mode, but very few games seem to recognize it
Everything was fine the other day.

you're from india aren't you

Same prob here.
The ones that always work are wired Xbox-controllers and Logitech F310 (the one with the nice little X/D switch).

>can we expect to use the changes made by valve's proton to run other windows programs on linux on the future with better compatibility and performance?

It's literally rebranded WINE you stupid fuck. If you want that sort of capability then go and use WINE like everyone else.

Wine (which is what Proton is forked from) runs a lot of Windows applications just fine, the majority of them in fact.

Wine and ReactOS already share a lot of code, and yes, they help each other.

>What're your thoughts on the software?
It's cool about half my steam games run no problem. I'm a little disappointed Dark Souls 3 doesn't run though. Same with Rainbow 6 Siege.

>Is microsoft on suicide watch?
from steam's most recent hardware/software survey: store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
96.7% of steam users run windows, 2.6% run OSX, and 0.7% run linux. I don't really think microsoft is panicking, but there was a point when Internet Explore had a 96.7% market share and now look at it.

>I'm a little disappointed Dark Souls 3 doesn't run though.
It runs just fine for me with no setup whatsoever. Have to turn motion blur off to prevent awful stuttering, but nobody cares about motion blur.

>Americans think this is an accurate representation of an atom
wew lad

I'm running debian 9 with an nvidia card using the proprietary drivers for it. Dark Souls 3 launches to a black screen then crashes

I'm in Canada. This is what is taught in basic high school classes but if you take advanced senior year chemistry courses you'll be taught the actual atomic orbitals. I always found it weird that for the first couple years they teach this and this is what you draw on tests and then suddenly they're like "yeah atoms don't look like that and we've always known that, here's what they actually look like"

Attached: Hydrogen_Density_Plots.png (2200x2000, 1.79M)

Have you tried any of the launch options?
An interesting note: I had trouble with Dark Souls: PTDE that nobody else had where the folder that holds the savefiles wasn't being created so I had to create it manually, as well as too many file descriptors being opened for my system. Not saying that's your problem, since DS3 keeps it's saves in appdata I think, but there does seem to be a lot of special, per-user issues with Proton.
All you can really do is enable logging and see what is happening. Also, launching Steam from a terminal and checking the output helps sometimes.

whats the package for vulkan on gentoo. I just want to see if I can play games on this gpu.

Won't all this proton stuff hurt linux app development?

No. Proton = more people make the switch = bigger userbase = more demand for native applications = more developers making native applications

Switch pro controller (using xbox input) works. It's probably because valve pushed an update for sony controllers for windows users giving them the ability to map keys.

>Wine (which is what Proton is forked from)
Did they really fork it? I heard they were sending patches back upstream for over a year before the announcement

Linux is a platform that works with a bunch of different app development APIs. This just means there's one more.

>Did they really fork it? I heard they were sending patches back upstream for over a year before the announcement
Yeah, they maintain an independent git repo under the name "Proton", e.g.

github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

Undoubtedly it's been in development for a long time and they've been sending patches back to Wine. Specifically Proton refers to Wine + dxvk and a bunch of other libraries to make it smooth sailing for Steam users.

>tfw wine/proton becomes the de facto API for proprietary apps on Linux
>no more worrying about packages and distro compatibility
>Microsoft goes full retard and deprecates Win32
>...
>Year of the Linux desktop but it everything runs using the Windows API

I would laugh my ass off desu

Isn't the atomic model stochastic now?

That's what his pic related is showing. The shade is the probability of the electron "being measured" around a given place.

That and the "orbit" model are related though. You can just take the classical energy from the planet model and replace with quantum operations, solve the differential equation (finding eigenstates with stable E) and you get the density clouds in So it's really the same shit when you think about it