Does writing copies wears off SSD as much as writing new data?

Does writing copies wears off SSD as much as writing new data?

Attached: 06FBE7C3-4499-48DF-8946-661E704F94E4.jpg (900x900, 375K)

Other urls found in this thread:

beasleytech.net/2018/05/30/ssd-drive-makers-adding-features-to-reduce-duplicate-data/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SSD isn't the hard disc drive device because it won't causing the wearing out

pajeet alert

Imagine being this stupid

it actually wears it out twice as much since the data being the same 'burns' the memory cell.

fake and gay

Poo in the loo pajeet

Copy-on-write exists, but the filesystem you're using almost certainly doesn't support it. Without that, copies are treated exactly the same way as any other file transfer.

However, for normal consumer and even "prosumer" use, you really REALLY don't need to worry about SSD longevity anymore. Even specially designed stress tests take longer to kill a drive than you're realistically going to keep it for.

Just use it the same as you would any other drive, and relax.

Do you like this album OP?

no sir, it is of the upmost truth, I am not lie, please belevee me.

nice bait

some firmwares may do internal deduplication, theres probably no way to know (unless advertised)

thanks, sir. much appreciated, sir.

beasleytech.net/2018/05/30/ssd-drive-makers-adding-features-to-reduce-duplicate-data/

Looks like the duplication reduction is still in it's infancy and companies prioritize commercial solutions first.

dedup afaik is fairly common in "enterprise" storage stuff its not new

really good larp

why arent file systems designed to make files as much 0's so the drive gets worn less when you write to it

lol

writing copies = writing new data

writing? sure. but modern filesystems are smart enough not to do useless operations

no, but i do

Depends what modern filesystem you use. Btrfs, ZFS, APFS - yes. NTFS, HFS+, exFAT, ext4 - no.

BASED, merzbow reference on Jow Forums

usually you people have garbage taste

good album, OP

have the grimes/musk memes died yet on /mu/? I left when that became a thing because it was just nonstop cancer.

here, have a better noise reference
>have the grimes/musk memes died yet on /mu/?
no, /mu/ is worse than ever

Attached: Kevin Drumm - Relief.jpg (319x319, 73K)

This, the most ubiquitous filesystems (NTFS, FAT, ext4) are far from perfect. However, with the quality of the chips on consumer SSDs, it shouldn't be a huge concern.

fuck, that sucks. I used to love chart threads.

>APFS
where were you when Apple won again?

Best pajeet impression I have ever seen

Wear leveling means it's about the same
Unless you bought pajeet-tier TLC don't worry, your drive will outlive your desire to use it

Where was I when Apple finally caught up to what Linux was doing for over a decade? Let me check. I was on Linux.

>have the grimes/musk memes died yet on /mu/?
Yeah. The joke got old.
The problem is that /mu/ is nose-diving in quality nonetheless.

is it just normie-infested or something? What the fuck happened?

Grimes has an autistic fanbase and so does Elon Musk. That's what happened.