/daw/ general

ITT: We discuss DAW's.

Attached: renoise_3_screen.jpg (461x316, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/poyysxtv
clyp.it/rwkuzahj
clyp.it/w5nplw25
vimeo.com/223378825
vocaroo.com/i/s1z7xXC2Yf7L
clyp.it/lycy1i0a
vocaroo.com/i/s0cJLpvNztmB
soundcloud.com/toxicwaltz/you-are-already-dead
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not a good idea
>muh computer music is not real music
>muh fl studio is for babby
>muh linux
etc

Renoise is great but unfortunately it's fallen behind the more modern daws. Doesn't stop me from using it over reaper but there'll be a time where I def will have to change daws just cause renoise hasn't been playing catch up very well.

That said renoise has had track grouping for literal years before ableton got it, and renoise has a nice built-in and easily accessible lissajous analyzer.

I just really wish it could be expanded upon both in the pattern editor (such as a midi increment command) and the last 20% of functions which desperately need keyboard hotkeys. - as an example copy pasting velocity values is a total PitA and then once done you have to manually revert back to all values to copy notes etc.

I wish I could donate 500k to the developers to do new cool shit with it. Seems like it's gonna be a while before we get a new overhaul update. For me though, I'm pretty basic. I do my crazy shit on my synthesizers and just build around my recordings. I like the workflow and the effects it has.

Personally I use Renoise and Reaper.
Reaper for mixing and mastering and Renoise for all my chiptunes stuff since I started out using LSDJ on my gamboy back in highschool.
I feel like Reaper should be an industry standard due to it's low cost, features, and the vast amount of information available for it.
Renoise is Fucking rad for my dumb chiptune stuff, I wish I could really dig deeper into it seeing how it has it's rewire function and the cool shit I hear the breakcore community come up with but I haven't learned anything deeper in renoise myself (Plus I'm awful and pirated it, so I got 2.8 cause I'm an unemployed broke boi)

Here's some tracks I did with Renoise. It's a fun DAW to work in.

clyp.it/poyysxtv
clyp.it/poyysxtv
clyp.it/rwkuzahj
clyp.it/w5nplw25

vimeo.com/223378825
A sorta interesting video on how Aphex Twin used a tracker to make vordhosbn.

Renoise is amazing if you think of it as a vst drum machine / synth instead of a standalone workstation
Just route it into a more fully featured daw

FL is the shit, Gol is the greatest, and their update policy kicks fucking ass. If you don't own a license of FL you're a fucking mongoloid.

>you have to pay for it so it's shit
the post

FL is a shit daw, but their update policy shits over ableton's where you have to pay hundreds for each new version

how would you route Renoise to something else? Also is there a cracked version of Redux somewhere?

I used to have fun with pic related and later GarageBand before I installed Debian on my G4. How do I get back into making sample-based music? I run Linux.

Attached: ejay techno.png (1024x762, 1.07M)

The easiest way is to use rewire, if your daw can use it
Otherwise it depends on your environment, and what you're trying to accomplish
You can send midi into renoise and control it like that, or route audio out of renoise and capture it or manipulate it further

I said "the shit", not it's shit. FL is awesome.

>but their update policy shits over ableton's
I don't get why not more companys follow FL's lead. Seems to work just fine for them.

ableton are the apple of daw's

That may be as it is. But many other software companies could adapt FL's licensing model, yet... I don't even know just a second company that does it similarly. Why? There will always be new humans that buy your software. Many. So a lifetime license that can not be transfered to someone else makes perfect sense for a major platform/software that keeps slowly evolving.

don't get me wrong, I'm just as dumbfounded as you
Why would I buy an ableton license if i'm going to have to pay $500 to upgrade it the next time they release a new version?
Especially in the increasingly low paying electronic music industry noone has that money

Aegis Sonix master race reporting in

you don't need to discuss DAW.

use a cheap old mac with Logic and 350gig of apple exclusive samples and then a main PC with cutting edge specs with Pro Tools on windows.

there is nothing els to discuss

Even macfags don't use logic anymore
>protools
oh sorry, didn't realise you made nu-metal

vocaroo.com/i/s1z7xXC2Yf7L

renoise is the best thing for making retarded tunes

Attached: 1431852230309.png (1092x1185, 781K)

Attached: 1431852292139.png (964x1546, 929K)

Renoise or Bigwig, you can use the demo versions, the export function is disabled but you can route it to Audacity via JACK and get the job done.
Unfortunately most Linux only DAWs went to shit or just stalled. Ardour became a literal clusterfuck (those menus) and LMMS still has the features of Fruity Loops 3 (demo)

I'm a fucking retard learning how to use FL Studio to help a friend with bideo gayem music and SFX. It's pretty fun so far but I wonder what else I'll need.

>but I wonder what else I'll need.
Talent.

Reaper for lyfe

clyp.it/lycy1i0a

>protools
>the industry standard

you are dumb, but protools is a piece of shit

I 've made some shit happen with Ardour 2 just for the fuck of it. I must say Hydrogen is godly if you are programming drums.

How is ardour 3 with VST support?

There's literally nothing wrong with GarageBand.

Attached: gb.png (3360x2100, 1.63M)

btw, the music in the pic related is this:
vocaroo.com/i/s0cJLpvNztmB

Please r8. Vocaroo fucked the audio quality tho...

Other than that obviously

Indeed
soundcloud.com/toxicwaltz/you-are-already-dead

Knowledge and mastery of all aspects of music production.

A couple days ago we had a thread about producing on Linux.
Look for a post saying something like "thanks for spoonfeeding me" and read the posts it quotes.
There I explained how to get good at music production.
The posts are about Ableton, so in your case, instead of that Sadowick playlist, look up the FL Studio Basics videos by SeamlessR on YT.
And keep watching his videos as you go, since they're all pretty informative.

Alright, I'll look for that in the archive, what were some keywords in the OP if you can remember? Thanks regardless.

Here's the thread:

>Other than that obviously
Nothing, really. If you can't make the most amazing shit with FL and the stuff that comes with it, you'll never gonna make it. It's mindbogling how amazing modern DAWs are. All of them. And it doesn't matter which one you use. It's all fine. In the end it's just you who sucks.

Gonna keep that in mind, and thanks for the thread.

>Best Tier
- Cubase Pro

>Good Tier
- Reaper
- Logic
- Studio One

>Still young but bright future Tier
- Bitwig

>Hipster Tier
- Ableton

>Babby Tier
- FL Studio

>Garbage/stuck in Dark Ages Tier
- Pro Tool
- Anything else basically

Post your amazing shit.

Nah, I can't mix for shit anyways.

Just as predicted...

where's your shit nigger?

put up or shut the fuck up.

I did a lot of stuff with Ardour 2, but 3 is a complete mess (also, not backwards compatible with 2)
Didn't try the VST support since the menus alone gave me a headache (there's like 4 different "settings" menus).
Used vsts with wine4asio some years ago and 90% worked fine in LMMS, I guess it should be fine. btw, Ardour 3 finally has midi support, it took them only 10+ years to implement and it's just the clusterfuck you expect (and tries too hard to be cubase)
It's a real shame, they totally went the opposite rout of KYS and Audacity is currently a better DAW, at least its simple and gets shit done

I'm not the one saying that if you use a modern DAW your music must be amazing.
I'm asking you to prove your point.
Me posting my shit proves nothing.

Where did I imply that I don't suck at making music? And just how does it devalue the point I made? Dickhead.

>I'm not the one saying that if you use a modern DAW your music must be amazing.
Are you brain damaged?

What a bummer. I did a few songs just to fuck with it, and I did like the inter-operability with hydrogen, but ultimately although I was able to do what I wanted, the whole system just got in my way continually.

I really wanted to use something else than cubase protools windows mac etc. I guess Raper came along at just the right time for me.

you implied it by saying "If you can't make the most amazing shit with FL and the stuff that comes with it, you'll never gonna make it", which means you either suck or that it's easy for everyone to make amazing shit with a modern daw.

I asked you to post your shit because if it's so easy to make it, then it doesn't make sense that the guy saying it doesn't have amazing music.

But I guess you meant that you suck and have no talent.

what does Jow Forums think about audition? it's what I use

Attached: ear candy maker.png (1200x1170, 14K)

that's not a daw, that's an audio editing program like audacity.

Only relevant if you use the whole Adobe Suite (Premiere specially), if not Sound Forge is far superior and Audacity is just as usefull (and respects your freedoms)

>which means you either suck or that it's easy for everyone to make amazing shit with a modern daw.
No. The implication was that the tools you've got there are perfectly fine. If you don't succeed, then it's you. Which why asking for what else he needs is futile and doesn't make much sense.

Isn't this just cool edit pro?

Ah, sorry I misunderstood you.
So your point was to tell him "you don't need more tools than you already have", correct?

Because I don't think he was asking for more tools (since he thanked the post giving him links to gain more knowledge), and I didn't think you did either.

What daw is that OP?

It's in the filename

ableton after effects

Attached: rns.png (1172x906, 115K)

why does it look like shit?

I mean, let's be real, FL Studio can literally do the exact same thing as any other DAW, just has a different workflow. Will say Ableton's workflow is top tier but FL Studio isn't a bad DAW in the slightest.

linux has many DAWs. including proprietary ones
delete that line.

looks fucking wicked mate

reminder that piano rolls are retarded

reminder also that hardware sequencers have no business being so fucking expensive

>Nah, I can't mix for shit anyways.
Why does this not surprise me, considering its coming from an FL Studio user?

whats the most intuitive and easy to use foss daw for lunux?

Bitwig

Right I'm honestly advocating for it more than disowning it, I use it myself as a standalone workstation it's clearly capable based on what it provides you - but it's a very true analogy that Renoise really is like using an axe when some of its competitors are like chainsaws. After all that's why a product like Redux even exists in the first place. I tried convincing a friend to use Renoise and while it sorta worked he only uses it as a drum machine to route into reaper.

Same man it has so much potential for growth even though trackers are a very niche format of the 90's. And I know there is development but it just doesn't help when TakTik and others don't really publicly let us know what changes are coming or what they need for more progress. Either way similarly to you I've compensated a lot in VST DSPs for what Renoise doesn't have, and with the instrument editor there's a lot to work with even the hydra module routed with a key-tracker/LFO alone.

Mixing is hard, okay?

Attached: 1623624353.jpg (779x750, 70K)

>Mixing is hard
It's hard because getting into FL Studio makes you ignore it in the beginning.

I got into music way before fruity loops, heck, I even picked up an instrument before computer music, so... I doubt it. I just fuck it up time and again. Besides, problems probably start way before mixing my shit down.

what do you guys think about the mpc and its software? (mpc studio)

Has anyone tried Ardour? What did you like/dislike about it? Is it better than LMMS?

Ableton 10 addressed most of my concerns with that program. Pretty happy with it desu. Some of the default effects are showing their age, but on the whole it's pretty solid now.

If I was to nitpick, and this is a somewhat niche set of complaints:
>Horrible video support outbid the box
>Native 5.1/7.1 support
>Broadcast WAV tag readibility
>OMF support

Although, fuck the dinosaurs who use those last 2 formats.

I'd avoid anything that requires use of a midi controller- but if you're into that hip hop style of composing songs then by all means you should go for it. It's just not the most flexible option you could invest in.

Not the same guy you're talkign to but lots of musicians like haywyre have been playing acoustic music before they ever touched electronic stuff, albeit acoustic stuff staves you away from altering transients and audio engineering. at the end of the day It's a skill you practice and it only gets worse with time if you don't try to challenge yourself to do better on it, then again you could always hire someone to do mixing &| mastering for you, but would you really call it your own craft if it's influenced by other people's ears?

>vocaroo.com/i/s1z7xXC2Yf7L
hook me up wit a white label, bruv

Renoise went to shit years ago when they decided to use that retarded audio system.

It's good, crashes sometimes and has bad documentation in places, but is more powerful than LMMS. People tell it's getting up there in functionality with protools (disclaimer: i've never used protools)

Do you run some DAWs under WINE?

still has very bad MIDI support/editing
Qtractor is more suited for midi sequencing

]
the daw with the best mixer is bad for mixing because you're too stupid to buss multiplexed busses into busses?

if you can't mix on fl studio you can't mix. also mixing garbage is still garbage.

bump

>mfw nobody still cracked Cubase, Reaper, Nexus and all other dongle shit

Attached: 500px-KinoCannon1.jpg (500x333, 42K)

Whoops.

oops guess you'll just have to support the developers with capital, retard

true patrician tier:
-Sunvox
-gameboy emulator + LSDJ

i'm working on my own modular-ish DAW using Pure Data that would be integrated with a cheap MIDI controller that I still need to buy, such that i might eventually have the system completely controlled via real tactile knobs/buttons/etc and i would never have to touch a fucking mouse to make music ever again. I love the standard DAWs, FL and Ableton are cool, but the workflow is so ineffecient when I see guys on those 10-minute FACT magazine videos doing crazy shit with real hardware in a short amount of time
feelsgoodman

Little Piggy Tracker is legit too. I would think you would like that one since you mentioned LSDJ.

The ideas are not bad but use some reverb/delay lad. Guitars sound too digital dry.

Is it even possible to use effects on garageband?

that's Renoise

>tfw the only faggot using Sonar/Cakewalk in this thread
I may pirate FL for the Gross Beat some day

>reaper
>crack
just click the countdown button once its done stupid

>but use some reverb/delay lad.
I completely disagree. Reverb and delay would just make it a muddy mess. Maybe a little reverb and delay on that stupid lead riff that pops in every once in awhile would be okay, but not necessary. The reason it sounds weird is that he just cuts the last note off hard and doesn't let it decay at all.

Again, it is garageband. Does it even have the option to change the ADSR of instruments or does it come with some apple premium patch?

the guy who made cakewalk actually did a talk in my music class at school and nobody knew who the fuck he was
he shat on me for using fl studio at the time
now i use cubase and protools but still feel like fl studio was easier to actually get shit done in.

go back to mu

Sonar is too old. In fact, the stuff you get with the previous Professional/Platinum bundles were basically stuff from the 2002-2006 used to make Nintendo DS/Wii music, some dark 32-bit effects and z3ta+ 1.5 which is fucking old, while FL comes with a plethora of cool as shit plugins.

Nowadays Bandlab just packed everything from the Platinum bundle into Sonar free (except licensed stuff like Overloud reverbs and their amp).

music tech is tech, fuck off retard

>nexus
dude it's not 2010 anymore, just get cracked kontakt and some of the thousands free libs