Let's put aside personal feelings. In terms of truly getting work done. As a workstation investment...

Let's put aside personal feelings. In terms of truly getting work done. As a workstation investment, is and Imac or macbook/MacBook pro the best solution for a dev work environment?

Attached: imac-pro-front.jpg (1600x1191, 305K)

Fuck no go get a tr2 on wc and a pro wanky 4k monitor for half the price then spend the rest on a dope ass gpu

Attached: 1535376280142.jpg (1024x788, 98K)

We dont care Macfag ,We prefer thinkpads with fucking linux

probably just a top tier mbp with a dock and some trips

no their keyboard has like 25ms lag that's like 8days of wasted work a year.

not in a million years forwards or 40 backwards
not in any parallel universe
unless you're a retard tranny html "designer" and get a macbook for free

the os is inferior to linux
the hardware is trash compared to any other brand at a similar price point
you can't even get a proper graphics card

It's perfect for coding your fair trade chai moccha lattepucchino coffee shop website

Why self respecting person wouldn't get a mechanical keyboard anyway?
>You can run Linux in a virtual machine
>If I wanted to play games I'd have a dedicated machine

Attached: 1467937767553.jpg (1440x810, 150K)

the best OS and best looking hardware, but way too expensive for me now. I've got an ageing macbook pro, but when it dies I'd rather buy a 2nd hand windows laptop and save over 2k

>>You can run Linux in a virtual machine
or, or you could skip the middle man and use the better os
>>If I wanted to play games I'd have a dedicated machine
graphics cards are not only for games anymore, that hasn't been the case for a long time
also for processor, memory, storage, all that jazz, get a comparably expensive windows laptop or build your own pc and the mac will just be a worse computer
you're paying such an insane premium for the logo, no other hardware maker has anywhere near the profit margins of Apple

Considering you can use it to develop for any platform and still have a Unix based system.
I have a very genuine hatred for Windows and while I love Linux I'd rather use it on my laptops instead of my main workstation.

Attached: mpv-shot0002.jpg (636x358, 59K)

I'm developing for as many platforms as possible and while the apple aesthetic has appeal I'd rather not deal with Windows unless I have to. I run Linux on all my laptops but as a workstation it's proven to be hard at times to deal with.

Don't fall the minimalist meme, you're still paying the Apple® iTax™ on the hardware you're buying. The amount of horsepower you can pack with the starting point of one Mac™ is far greater.
If you wanna sperg about macOS™ then download it, but otherwise is just a proprietary OS with the mean of locking as much people into it as possible.

>mechanical keyboard
Times are changing granpa, the future is scissor type keyboards.

Op the only real argument you're going to see from Jow Forums is about price and that it's not Linux.
>Price over time is negligible if you actually sit at your mac for 8+ hours a day getting work done
>It's Unix based which if you're familiar with Linux will make you immediately feel comfortable
>You can develop for all platforms with ease
>You can run bootcamp or VMware for when you need to test code in a different environment
>Not fucking Windows

>Price over time is negligible if you actually sit at your mac for 8+ hours a day getting work done
No, it's still a colossal investment for a piece of hardware of known questionable quality of design.

>trips

Attached: 1517768068098.png (422x530, 53K)

>Throttling due to termals
>Pricey
>Can't upgrade
>Can't repair

Why it sounds like a good workstation?

The best solution is whatever works for you. That being said, choosing something out of ignorance is not acceptable. Also, macOS doesn't have any special snowflake DE so you could just buy a much cheaper machine and slap on some Linux with similar interface.

Describe (in full detail) what you think “work” is faggot

What kind of work.

Depends...
Do you want to manage them centrally?
Do you have the money to buy at least one as a swap? because you cant fix them...
Do you have the money to build an IT-structure where you have just about 0 backward compatibility? and you are bound the the desicions of Apple which they famously keep under lock until they are ready for market.
Are you hype-driven?
Do you have needs to dev for Windows, If so... do you want to build a bi-polar enviroment?
Windows users expects alot more from the companies IT than the average MAC user in my experience...
A windows user demands that stuff works because it usually does, things like hardware, office-integration. automatic add stuff
like network drives, printer, SSO on stuff and direct sync across all your stuff from the calendar, office, contacts, sharepoint-stuff etc.
Mac on the other hand just accept that if it isnt supported by apple it doesn't exist...
And if you have i multi-arc enviroment then the only common dround is a Windows server backend (exchange, AD, MSoffice etc) to manage them then why have computers
that only use 40-50% of the functions of the backend instead of running Windows on everything?
Do you have other demands on hardware? Some 3d-stuff are Nvidia-exclusive and therefore needs an external GPU on this computer. (this is more of a CAD thing but can still be a problem...)
Does the company want the employees to use things like iCloud and the App-store? if not, you will only utilize about 60% of MacOS.
Do you need to test stuff on touch-screens?
Do you need to mass-test the application via VM:s? That is not legal on the mac since you are not allowed to virtualise MacOS in commersial purposes. and never on non Apple hardware.

Just some thoughts.
If these things are not a problem at your company then sure!
And the classic example where this is true is WebDev.

Don't fall for the unix based meme on the imac. Linux is a much better development environment. Homebrew and related is awful.

No
>No
>really No!
>No..
>Sure
>Is this a positive in a company environment?

It is good for the price but if you want to clean it, fix it, upgrade it, youre out of luck so build your own instead

Let's put aside personal feelings. In terms of truly taking the poo to the loo. As a place to shit, is a street the best place to shit?

Attached: 1506106172252.jpg (643x960, 256K)

Applefag here. The iMac is great if you need the 5K display (like for editing 4K content and having space left over for GUI) and the iMac Pro is fine too if you want/need the workstation components like ECC RAM. The MacBook Pro is not so great right now. Wait for the refresh where they fix all the first gen quirks.