/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: THOT.jpg (649x900, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcsupport.lenovo.com/ec/en/downloads/ds014920
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Power_Connector#Signal_Pin
workaround.org/article/updating-the-bios-on-lenovo-laptops-from-linux-using-a-usb-flash-stick/
thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_update_without_optical_disk#Update_on_Ubuntu_10.10
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Where's the Trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1535314171406.jpg (1280x1280, 780K)

I want to win it.

Attached: ss+(2018-08-31+at+08.50.01).jpg (895x237, 43K)

Seems pretty average, considering it's the i5 model, and doesn't mention an IPS panel or anything. Just don't bid too much. I'm not great with prices, but I'd at least try to stay under $200.

My X230 has randomly stopped charging when plugged in. What's the issue? Battery going?

The firmware does that automatically when the battery is full.

But usually the plugged in indicator in the system tray doesn't go away.

I wouldn't know I don't use Windows.

The firmware reports a state of unknown instead of discharging or charging when this happens on my T530 and I edited my battery widget to see it as charged so it doesn't trigger me.

Just got a T530 with the 5400M dGPU
Any other special thinkpad-specific programs I should install other than tlp?

I wonder if it's the power connector port on the back. Don't those go bad on Thinkpads sometimes?

I think it has to do with the PSU that they ship not being able to provide enough power to the system under load so it occasionally will tap into the battery. At least that is my understanding.

They mention IPS in the title user

Is it actually possible to swap gpus in p52?
Like, if i get tye m1200m version, is it possible to upgrade to p1000 quadro? They both work with the same cpu, so ots the same chipset, right? Or is it soldered to hell like t560 was?

To the guy I was having a discussion with in the Libreboot thread that just got nuked.

The list of affected models did not include the X200 regarding pitch noise on the think wiki page you listed. To my knowledge those issues had been resolved by the time the X200/T400 series came out. Also, make sure you update your X200 EC to 1.07 which was released just a few years ago which greatly improved battery charging and performance.

pcsupport.lenovo.com/ec/en/downloads/ds014920

My bad, I guess it probably is worth it then, although it's a shame it's not the i7 version with USB 3.0.

Could anyone recommend a good ThinkPad for general development? Preferably something with a good screen and fairly lightweight. I'd like something less than £1,000. I've looked at laptops like the E range or the X1 but can't decide.

About to buy a Carbon x1 gen2. Did i do good?
i5 4300u 256gb ssd 2k touch display 8gb ram
for around 350 bucks

Help me, user. I just got an x230 and updated it with one 8GB stick of ram. Gave it a clean Win 10 install.
Snappy system, but whenever I play youtube videos and raise the volume above a certain percentage somewhere in the 80s, the sound starts stuttering like crazy.

driver issue?

posted this in the last thread but it was already at bump limit so I'll post one more time. Ideapad 320, i7-7500u, Geforce 940MX GDDR5, 8Gb RAM
Acer A515, AMD A12-9720P, Radeon RX 540, 8Gb RAM

What's the deal with IPS vs TN screens? I understand IPS is better, I have one for my desktop monitor, but I don't really understand the downsides of TN.

There's this guy who sells refurbished thinkpads on eBay, he's based in Canada so I would get reasonably fast shipping and no import duties.

A couple of his listings is

>Thinkpad X230 12.5" i5-3rd Gen (256GB SSD + 500GB 12GB) Webcam USB-3.0 Backlit
>C $425.00 = $325.44USD

>Thinkpad X230 12.5" IPS i5-3rd Gen (256GB SSD + 1TB 16GB) Webcam USB-3.0 Backlit
>C $577.10 = $441.90 USD

I don't really care about the HDD as I'd probably remove/replace it, but is IPS + 16GB matched 8GB sticks of RAM worth the extra cost over 4+8GB non-matched RAM and TN screen?

Am I a sucker for paying this much? I could get an i5 TN 320GB HDD 4GB RAM for $250

but then I'd probably upgrade:
>RAM: +8GB: C$84 +16GB: $169
>SSD: $89.94
>IPS screen C$100

ending up at C$524 to C$608

pros:
>learn to do it myself
>can be sure of quality parts going in

cons:
>have to do it myself
>takes longer
>more expensive

Any input would be appreciated.

Attached: thinkpadapple.jpg (500x375, 71K)

What kind of development? depending on what you're doing, anything from the last five years will do.

This shit costs more than a macbook pro

Attached: Screenshot_10.jpg (686x1058, 157K)

downsides are viewing angles and colors being worse

I'd always pay more for IPS

>cropping out the perfectly fine cheaper model to make some sort of point
bretty cringe m8

But has a working keyboard

I bought an x1carbon gen1 for my last semester at uni for 90$, 8GB ram model with a mint battery and its motherboard or ram shit the bed in 2 months.
Getting a 2 beep code and no display. Is it 100% fucked?

What 14" or less thinkpad should I get to replace it for under $400? I'll be using virtualbox and windows per class reqs so I need like 8GB of ram minimum.
Ideally it would also have an m2 slot so I can salvage the ssd from this carbon.
X250 maybe?

What loonyx notetaking programs would you recommend? Also if it can use the x220t digitizer that would be cool.

Going to get a X2xx model because I'll be traveling and my T420 is too big to fit comfortably in my travel bag. I'll be running linux and only using it to check email and read/type/send documents. Is there any point in getting a X220? I imagine they'll all run about the same temperature and performance for such simple tasks should be about the same, right?

What happened to the link and discount for the new ThinkPads?

>more powerful hardware with more storage and better specs overall is more expensive
imagine that

Attached: random_thinkpad.png (700x680, 280K)

>$2100 for a 1080p panel

>pretending you need a 4k screen on a 15 inch laptop
also, the macbook pro doesn't even have a 4k display

Mostly Python, I just want something that's pretty light and has a good screen.

Attached: 1g7h6rf4rg311.png (500x363, 176K)

I just use vim and basic text files, but I've heard good things about emacs org-mode. If you're doing hand-written notes with the stylus, I don't know of any programs for that.

ThinkPad X250 from eBay

They're pretty nice, I would recommend X220/30 for sure.

will any of the AMD chip thinkpads handle c++ and matlab programs?

No, they will only run C and Octave

Nope, you'll need an Apple Macbook with Retina display.

Sounds like a tampon for faggots.

I'm done with chinkpads.

Attached: error_01.jpg (900x675, 73K)

i didn't say run, i said handle

don't even know what retina display is

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Power_Connector#Signal_Pin

Learn to use a pair of fucking wire cutters you retard

Attached: 300px-20v-barrel.jpg (300x283, 24K)

Attached: 1514965926550.jpg (400x296, 28K)

It's literally not the AC adapter. I have two identical ones I've been using for years with that system with no problems. Stuff like the wifi board has stopped getting recognized too now. Even with just a battery connected.

May just sell for parts since the display works fine.

I have 20-30 thinkpad x230s I've been trying to sell with little success. I paid about $350 for the entire pallet at a tech recycling warehouse.

Are there any places that would purchase them in bulk from me?

I work full time and hate using eBay.

I have them posted on Craigslist but I'm getting very little interest in my city.

Any ideas?

Would it be worth upgrading them all with SSDs for resale purposes?

Any places that sell SSDs in bulk?

Attached: $_1.jpg (400x267, 20K)

Put coreboot on each one and then sell them on ebay. You could make a killing.

how much do you want for one?

i'll buy one

I have no clue how to do that.

Some have 8gb and some only have 4gb of ram. Some are mint and some have dings on the lid and palm rest. Probably $50-80

I believe each one comes with a copy of Windows though.

Well here's a throw away email then: [email protected]

Just ordered a T440p today, got one question for you guys though: How is the trackpad on that thing? I've been seeing a ton of people give it a lot of shit, is it worth it just to go ahead and swap it out with a T450 trackpad or is it at least bearable?

why are laptop hinges gay now? why is the bottom of the top lid touching the floor? Whom was the genius that thought it was a good idea?

Pure garbage, you'll need to spend the $20 on the t450 trackpad.

>Do you only use the touchpad?
It's fine like most laptops, nothing special.
>Do you only use the trackpoint?
It's an unusable steaming pile of shit, the T450 touchpad is a must and you should buy one asap.

Well, this is my second Thinkpad, and I really fell in love with the trackpoint on my X200t, so that's a definite. I was wondering if that was going to be worth a shit for trackpoint control, good to know it isn't. I'll definitely get one ASAP, thanks.

whats the best thinky I can get for under 400 (used on craigslist or some shit)

needs to be relatively portable and decent processor. I don't need a gpu.

x230 or t440p

One more question and I'll shut up about it, but if anyone here has done the trackpad swap on the T440p before, was it as simple as just swapping the two, or is there anything else I'm gonna need to do to make sure it works?

Hey I want a libreboot/coreboot capable thinkpad with the most security features possible (Fingerprint reader, TPM and all the shit alike) bonus point for Qubes OS capable (fits all requirements for 4.x), support non ME processors (AMD is tolerable) and can use an eGPU (even if I need to open for that) any models ?

>was it as simple as just swapping the two
yes

My trusty X220 no longer seems to recognise anything in the expresscard slot, I have tried several different cards. Also the USB directly underneath the expresscard slot does not register anything that is plugged in. This is the case with several different OS's so probably a hardware problem.

Anyone ever come across this or have any suggestions?

meant for fck

Alright, cool. Thanks user.

X230 or T430

Will let some go cheap if paid in bitcoin

Can I only ask questions about business laptops?

yes everything else is shit

>mfw i have to get a 120gb ssd fot my x230 so i dont bloat my fresh linux install
i hate myself i have a full 1TB desktop

Attached: 790-2.jpg (141x138, 5K)

Hey, is their a way to bind the trackpoint middle button to being a middle mouse button, instead of just scrolling?

Attached: 2.jpg (197x179, 11K)

Use linux, it just werks.

core/libreboot it

Fuck me
I got a x60 as a gift and the keyboard is giving me weird issues

Pressing keys I and O will input a right click maybe 1/3 of the time I press them
However middle and right click don't work at all.

What do? I've reseated the keyboard connector already

Attached: 1534949568700.png (1236x1920, 1.41M)

What's the best place to get new ram for a T440p? Crucial is out of stock right now, will they get more or is this too old?

thats weird, try different operating systems to see if its a configuration problem or a hardware problem

What happened with the discount code for new thinkpads? Did Lenovo find out that a lot of frog poster were using the corporate perks for individual thinkpads?

Attached: 1528521082606.jpg (600x338, 48K)

I've had the power connector go bad on my old T420 6 different times, 5 times under warranty and once I had to fix it myself. Its really common especially if you move it around a lot.

winXP and ubuntu both have this issue
really making it hard to use the laptop which is a shame given how I got it

IPS is more important for laptops because they are a mobile device. A desktops screen is often centred in the middle and you're almost always sitting directly in front of it whereas a mobile device like a laptop is often used in different angles and positions where an IPS can be of great use. IPS is also vastly superior in outside environments.

I had a keyboard that got wet and some keys change the input too. If that is the problem, I think there is not fix. Maybe you can try using other keyboard if you have the opportunity

What do you do about it?
I think I have the same issue, not charging at all, battery works fine and holds a charge, but won't recharge

its like a time capsule, just needed a new battery.

Attached: boomer.jpg (1400x1050, 311K)

I'll give you 50 bucks for it

wait wait, x230s as in plural x230, or the exact model x230s?

As in multiple. I didn't even know there was an x230s

So I found this locally and I can but it for $170 us. He says the hard drive is encrypted after he did system restore and he forgot the password to unencrypt the data. I was wondering if this is a ezpz swap the hard drive as only the physical harddrive was encrypted or if this was the equivalent to a Thinkpad bios password where you can't change boot devices. If the latter is true would laptop repair places get rid of encryption or whatever?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-31-23-41-25.png (1440x2560, 3.01M)

me neither, had to google it to check myself

How is the newest 13 series? I used to have a x131e but honestly I liked that one better than my x220. 13 series seems similar to x131e but a decent CPU and pricing. Has a better iGPU too than both x220 and x131e.

Should I get one next paycheck boys?

Oh nevermind about the cpu.

It means nigger stole it for crack money. You can wipe it if you aren't a dumb thieving nigger.

Buy a new one for 5 bucks, disassemble your computer down to nothing, replace it and rebuild your computer.

Lenovo's are practically made to be disassembled as long as you don't mistake the different sized screws from one other.

I'd recommend always having two chargers however, just in case it was the fact that your charger which got a short near where it plugs in. You can try the charging cable around, keep your fingers right near the end where it plugs in and if you hear a spark/buzz or suddenly feel it get warm you're more likely to have a short in the charger instead and you should replace that. It's VERY annoying replacing the charging port if it was the charger broken instead.

Any X200 owners can tell me how they updated the bios on their Thinkpad please ?
I've tried this method workaround.org/article/updating-the-bios-on-lenovo-laptops-from-linux-using-a-usb-flash-stick/ but when I boot on my USB I just get a "Operating system missing" message.
Then I tried this method: thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_update_without_optical_disk#Update_on_Ubuntu_10.10 but I don't have a bios upgrade listing when I'm in grub, just the regular options to boot into my OS

Okay so I made some progress, now I have the listing in grub to update the bios but I have the errors in pic related.
Here's what I have in /etc/grub.d/40_custom :
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

menuentry "BIOS Update" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
linux16 /memdisk
initrd16 /bios.img
}

Both the bios.img and memdisk are in my /boot folder, I installed syslinux and I copied memdisk from /lib/syslinux/bios/memdisk
What am I doing wrong here ?

Attached: IMG_20180901_104544.jpg (640x480, 45K)

Well, my autistic ass finally managed to upgrade the BIOS, the problem I had all allong is that I should have wrote
linux16 /boot/memdisk
initrd16 /boot/bios.img

instead of
linux16 /memdisk
initrd16 /bios.img

Telegram Groupchat:
t.me/ThinkPadGeneral

Attached: Bestia - Bestia Vol.004 Ch.023 Read Online - 22.png (1000x1408, 721K)

X1 Extreme
>i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, 300 nit FHD, 512GB SSD, GTX 1050Ti
Price:$1975

XPS 15
>same as above but with a 400 nit FHD
Price:$1699

Explain.

I'm looking to buy a new laptop,
I switched to from ThinkPad to MSI a few years ago and I'm considering switching back.
My main use is for programming. I need to do some computationally intensive tasks (statistics on large datasets, training machine learning models) for my job. The bulk of it gets done in the cloud, but I still need a powerful laptop to run test projects locally.

Are there any Thinkpads with an Nvidia GPU and 16+gb RAM ?
I don't have any particular budget limits.