/spg/ - Smartphone General

HTC U12 Life Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: HTC-U12-life (1).jpg (1345x880, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x4/help/google-camera-hdr-port-moto-x4-t3693807
zdnet.com/google-amp/article/old-iphone-running-slowly-ios-12-will-speed-it-up-tests-show/
youtube.com/watch?v=JT_l8L53NTo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

inb5 300 more willing botnet participants

horrible edition

>rn3p
>label at the back fell out
>dropped phone only once and the sides are bent
>camera is complete shit
>still haven't found a phone to upgrade to
oh well thanks for coming to my TEDx Talk

get the RN5 senpai

Nokia 8 for $310, yay or nay?

Mine is built like a battleship, the camera is dogshit as you say. Probably gonna upgrade to a Poco or the Mix 3 depending on its features.

I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 with Android.
It's pretty decent, but is there a way to debotnet it, or at least reduce the shittiness of its operating system?
I'll still need normie communication apps, but I'd like to find a way to around using the Play Store to get them.

Poco

I just wanted to say thank you to /spg/ for recommending me the motorola g5+, i needed a new phone in a pinch and it was really affordable and gets the job done.

Attached: nasim 45.jpg (374x423, 30K)

why do people have so much free time to install custom roms on their phones

Got mine for 340 yesterday, great phone, would recommend

LineageOS + microg

motos really are nice phones for their price. the problem is when they charge $400+ for their Z models when they don't provide much more of a premium experience. luckily they price drop fast.

It doesn't take that much time. The first time yes, but once you know what to do it can be easily done in 20 minutes or so.

>We need more better phones with headphone ports and without notches.

Attached: _mew_ichigo_and_momomiya_ichigo_tokyo_mew_mew_drawn_by_naomi_fantasia_708aba22f14eefb5820dc5410c174b (737x921, 500K)

I do it once every year or so, takes an hour at worst. Having a faster, familiar interface increases speed and productivity.

I was thinking of getting a pocophone as soon as it launches here where I live. I wanted to get it through amazon, do they usually have enough of one product in stock or do you think I risk not getting one if I'm not fast enough?

I have $200

Need a device (used or new) that has:
>usb-c
>sd card
>OLED

wait for sony xz3

blows all the phones out of water

Typical Ali prices have went down after the sale.
I'm glad i had coupons to soften the blow.

What is the best sub-$400 phone camera? I'm thinking about buying the Xiaomi Mi A2, which is very cheap here in Brazil. I own a Moto X4 and don't know if I should upgrade or save until I can buy a better one.

I'll sell you a Moto Z for $200 brand new in box, only opened to check it out.

Poco

Moto Z series (Moto Z, Z Play, Z Force etc.)
Asus ZenFone 3 Zoom
ZTE Axon 7
BlackBerry DTEK60
Galaxy A3 2017 / A5 2017

Reminder that phones in the current year of 2018 solely exist for the purpouse of using WhatsApp and/or iMessage

sorry for stupid question ):
is it worth buying a poco f1 phone with 64gb version and buy myself a 128gb sd card for £30-ish, or buy a 128gb phone version on its own?

>Mate 20 will have a 3.5mm jack

nice

Attached: gsmarena_006.jpg (1024x575, 104K)

Just keep the Moto X4 and save up until you can get something significantly better. A2 might be better but it's not a massive upgrade. Consider installing GCam:
forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x4/help/google-camera-hdr-port-moto-x4-t3693807

Owner of Oneplus 5T reporting in. I'm not a very phone-savy person. I need two android phones for my mom and dad. I want it
- to last a very long time (4-5 years at least).
- Have enough space for future updates
- Fast processor so the phone doesn't become too laggy after a couple of years
What phone should I get?

Attached: 1535758853717.jpg (346x510, 31K)

are you saying that people can't do this after they get off work? what if they work with phones have downtime?

Mi Mix 2

>for my mom and dad
>to last a very long time (4-5 years at least)
non-ironically get them iPhones

anything with a SD 835 should last a few years
my mom had a LG G2 since winter '13 and just recently traded in for a V30

But don't iphones deliberately cripple older phones in updates?

Pricing here is weird.

Attached: pricing.jpg (801x580, 75K)

Nah, that's fake news. the upcoming iOS 12 will actually greatly speed up the older iPhones:
zdnet.com/google-amp/article/old-iphone-running-slowly-ios-12-will-speed-it-up-tests-show/

Who else here doesn't have a smart phone? What's their use for a basementdweller anyways? Do you guys get a connection down there?

Attached: 6672268234337.jpg (574x675, 40K)

poco armored edition when

>I own a Moto X4
same here for less than a month, i was going to buy an A2 on ML but i changed my mind, i had the A1 and can't stand LCD screens, that's why i've put my X4 on OLX. I'm planing to import a Pixel XL 128gb on aliexpress but i'm certanly Correios will fuck my ass for good, also
>Jobless
>no gf

Attached: IMG-20160502-WA0002.jpg (250x200, 14K)

LCD is indeed fucking trash. I had an S6, an S7 and then a Moto Z2 Play. The last two were stolen because living in São Paulo is dangerous.

The Pocophone looks great, but I need to be sure. I still my S7's photos.

Have you considered the S8/S8+?
I had one and i can tell you it has phenomenal cameras, the front cam even has auto-focus, the amount of details and depth of field is insane! Screen is glorious, sound/waterproof/battery all is decent.
Bought mine in Paraguai then sold it because fogo no cu

then get a Xiaomi Mi 8 if AMOLED is a must

I feel the same way but the iphone 8/Plus has such a nice looking display compared to every other LCD phone I've used. maybe it's just the True Tone setting but it's the most pleasant non OLED phone I've used.

Zenfone 5/5Z have color control over their LCDs and vompare favorably against OLEDs

it's all about blacks bruh

Attached: 636022639867826643.jpg (923x922, 359K)

using your phone at night?

Good brightness and accurate color reproduction is possibly what's doing it. Apple is good with it.
But the viewing angles on OLED are very nice, and it hurts my eyes way less at night.

>Phone won't make noise when it rings
>Options greyed out
Help me friends, I can't poweruser hard enough.
Pic related, 1/2

Attached: Screenshot_20180901-195732.png (1440x2560, 139K)

2/2

Google Pixel XL, Android 9.0, stock everything.

Attached: Screenshot_20180901-195739.png (1440x2560, 112K)

settings>apps>phone>force stop>data>clear cache>clear all data

Is there any chance that the Mi Mix 3 will be compatible with CDMA networks in the USA? The Mix 2/2S were so I'm hoping the same goes for the Mix 3 since it's looking like my dream phone.

depends on whether or not they sold well in the US, if so then the chances of them continuing support for global bands will happen

poco is the new rn5

Attached: Ajxa3aX.png (488x251, 14K)

>same specs (if not a bit lower) as the redmi note 5
>almost double the price
Why does htc does this?
They have cool phones and ui but the support is shit and spec/price ratio is even more shittier.

I see it as a spiritual successor to RN3, that one stirred similar kind of shit when the first benchmarks leaked. This time the hype is a bit stronger though.

Force stopped, cleared cache, uninstalled updates and reinstalled, still greyed out like shows.

Does anyone else not like the new stock Android message,phone UI? It has an Easter color palette doesn't match with the rest of the Phones UI

That SOC and $200 price with all those gearbest sales made the RN3 a true contender

Nothing on Android's stock UI matches anywhere. I hated that shit. It's no wonder every Android phone maker tries to skin it but at the same time it ruins it.

Why does Google allow Android OEMs to put fucking shitty skins on the OS that can't be removed?
Imagine if Dell, HP, IBM, Compaq, etc had been able to put retarded skins on their Windows machines? Every fucking manufacturer would have had "their" version of Windows.
Luckily Microsoft wouldn't have allowed that shit.
Why is Google so fucking cucked?

Android is open source that's why and how

But there were always skinning programs for Windows like Stardock.
Dell could have said "in order to make ours look different from HP, we'll pre-install a Windows skin"

Changing a software experience that reigned supreme and killed Apple in the PC market wasn't smart. Windows was a standard for software. Makng it look different is pointless. Skinning a mobile OS to be more uniform is how OEMs are trying to catch up to Apple in the mobile world; iOS development is very strict and therefore it's coherent throughout.

Got a Nokia 7+ for $500 aud yesterday. Haven't charged it yet battery at 33%

mong

Why?

But most Android fans are 100% convinced that vanilla android would be better.
For Android phones you have to research both the hardware AND the software skin. It would be so much easier/better is Android phones just had "Android" on them.

The text color for each contact was a nice feature but now it's just gray colored.

looking for an oled/amoled tablet for reading shitty doujins and watching animu in bed
narrowed it down to some obscure japanese tablet Fujitsu F-04H or Samsung Tab S4 both are 10.5" 16:10 oled screens
has samsung come up with any proprietary software to avoid burn in on their phones/tablets yet? like jittering the image around every few minutes or something?

Only for the always on display, although Samsung panels are quite resilient to burn ins but you'll have to take care you don't leave the screen on and sleep

Considering it, how's the camera user?

>take care you don't leave the screen on and sleep
so set the sleep to 5 minutes max and keep the brightness as low as practical? thats what I did with my old galaxy s2 and it never seemed to suffer burn in anywhere but the notification bar and only discernible with a fully gray screen at night

Sample pic I just took. Haven't tried duo yet where you're supposed to be able to use front and back lens at. The same time

Attached: IMG_20180902_132659.jpg (4032x3024, 3.29M)

Remember when HTC was a popular brand?
Me neither.

This. I got the Prime version despite my hatred for ads because of that amazing $169 pricepoint and the fact that it also came with 4GB RAM and 64 GB Storage. One of the best purchases i've ever made. I think i'm holding on to this thing for a damn long time unless the Poco F2 turns out to be waterproof and NFC able, and with great camera, which would make it the GOAT. I wouldn't even mind if the specs remain relatively unchanged, that's all it's missing so far.

Attached: 70385503_p0.jpg (1108x1478, 317K)

phone noob here
If I buy pic related will it work in Australia? Will I have to delete a whole bunch of stuff or install a custom rom?

Attached: Screenshot_20180902-154544.jpg (1080x1920, 549K)

it helps when you're not under 18

Dumb boomer

go play Fortnite and do your stupid dance faggot

Attached: 1535742282003.gif (1024x750, 493K)

S E E T H I N G

back to /asp/ kid

How do i unlock the sim network without paying?

please dont bully me im just a noob

Attached: 1473730840868.jpg (621x502, 47K)

Depends on your phone

Its a nokia 3 lad

It will work, but is missing band 28 which may be an issue in rural areas, should be fine in cities tho
It comes with the global ROM flashed so it'll be fine out of the box, and I even saw one review on Ali that said it comes with a n unlocked bootloader, so no need to wait to root or flash custom ROMs if you want to

From what I'm reading it's kind kf impossible to do without getting the code from your provider

Anyway miui is kinda shit outside of China

How do you guys know what frequencies are used in areas of a country. I know some providers in the US have up to 3 or 4 bands but it's a damn secret which ones are most necessary

The OP

Use modded Google camera. Photo quality is far more better with that.

What the fuck is wrong with that seller? You should try to import it yourself.

iPhone 8 owner here, 256gb, first flagship quality phone (and iPhone) I've had. I use gboard with it and I like the screen quality although it's low resolution the colors and brightness are reliable. Mostly bought it because I'm using social media apps more and it works smoothly enough to keep in touch with friends/family on various platforms. Apps seem to update frequently just like on Android except it isn't always some "fixes and improvements :-) 80mb" bullshit you often see in the Play store with updates. The camera of course is perfect for online sharing and I've used Walgreens free print offers to make some nice physical prints. Reliable phone with speed that never slows up with my multitasking amount. Battery could be better but I just use a 15W oem google USB C charger so it doesn't take long to fill up, lasts two work days with casual use on breaks and a few hours of browsing and use at home. Speakers are nice and having a home button is easy to turn on the screen, and as fast as using the iPhone X swiping navigation gestures although that will become the norm from 2018 onward. OLED would be nice and a bigger battery could definitely provide a SOT improvement i think with iOS 12 and the A12 chipset coming. But I'll keep this phone for at least 3 years and maybe one battery replacement so for $650 new it was worth it.

>$1149 emoji machine
youtube.com/watch?v=JT_l8L53NTo

The Note9 costs more and turns your face into an animoji

Stop shilling.
Same goes for the rest of you filth.

Are there any downsides to wireless charging such as increased wear and tear on the battery, heat issues, radiation etc. or is it the perfect solution? Can you ruin the charger by placing the wrong items on it (demagnetization)?

Attached: 58799_Aircharge_Qi_WirelessChargePad_05.jpg (725x356, 59K)

I’ve got an iPhone 6s+, looking to upgrade soon. Main features I’m looking for are longevity in terms of updates, a big screen, cost isn’t really a factor. I’d also like a lot more storage, preferably 256gb.

Was thinking of maybe going to Android with a Note 9, but can I expect 3-5 years of updates with it?

I’m not in the USA, so my cell provider supports every phone available. Don’t care about buying outright bs contract.

Attached: image.jpg (413x357, 79K)

Op6

Textra, my friend