How do we make Linux more welcoming? UwU

how do we make Linux more welcoming? UwU

Attached: 1516298607132.png (1099x590, 731K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watchv=radmjL5OIaA
developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/build/build.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000905-CH221-BEHJDFCA
developer.apple.com/documentation/coreimage/writing_custom_kernels
opensource.apple.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We don't. Nobody wants to voluntarily be tech support for retards.

Who the fuck cares if it's welcoming or not?

Jewduke literally got that soiface

by being smarter and doing your own research first before asking questions that have been asked thousands of times.

how about re-designing the system so that people don't ask the same questions thousands of times

people do the same fucking shit on windows though.

The Arch wiki has been a great resource for a lot of stuff. I even saw a direct link to them on the Debian wiki.

>Trying to idiot proof software
Never gonna happen.

Good man pages are vastly superior to any wiki.

man pages don't tell you have alternatives, or weird outside the box stuff that is actually important.

really society in general would be much improved if we all agreed to be rude to people who obviously haven't tried to solve their problems on their own.

Since he's sympathetic to bronies I think the Arch community should welcome Lunduke with open arms. Bunch of gatekeeping faggots

If you're such a brainlet retard who doesn't wanna be challenged mentally I wouldn't want you to use either OS.

Apple did it

Why should an os be mentally challenging dont you have something productive to do besides getting the damn thing to run?

How is it this common that people feel entitled to free support? It's shocking every time I see someone else shocked at the fact someone refuses to help them solve their personal requirements. That's such a lack of respect, understanding, and/or appreciation for others time.

Except it's not. I've run Arch for 2 years and never did I get a problem nor did I have to work my ass off to get shit running. These kinds of brainlets I'm talking out manage to get problems even on windows.

It's not a fair comparison.
Apple has done that, yes. But only for their hardware platform. Providing a simple solution for a single platform is much easier than providing a general solution for multiple layers of arbitrary hardware configurations.
>but OS X is largley open sourced and people have ported it to non-apple hardware
Also true, but third parties are not putting in the same amount of effort in either area that matters. Efficiency, and coverage.
OS X is very efficient on Apple hardware because it's designed for it. Each component of the entire system is known, and accounted for. With third party kernel modules, you have to hope someone actually wrote them to begin with, but then also hope they have an advanced level of understanding of some third party vendor's hardware, which is even more unlikely.

For the record, I think a limited platform set is the only practical choice for a workstation OS. But it would be nice if we could have something with the platform reach of Linux, without the compromise for workstation users.

Not that any of this matters since Apple is legitimately the only consumer Unix vendor left. If you don't like it, what are you going to do, buy something from businesses that no longer exist?
>All these open source POSIX systems suck. Good thing I can go to SUN, SGI, or someone else!
Not anymore! Your choices are Apple or build something yourself.

Attached: apple unix advert.jpg (1976x1202, 401K)

No one should be allowed to even touch linux, until they read intro(1)

Never forget the interview this bumble fuck of an idiot did with Richard Stallman
>youtube.com/watchv=radmjL5OIaA

He's got one of those "accommodate me" attitudes a child has.

I'd rather read the FreeBSD handbook to be honest.

Your point being? Apple is great for normies, who don't actually manage their own systems. You can't compile your own kernel, and a lot of the source code is hidden. Like I said, fine for normies, but chances are if you're trying to use linux, you're probably trying to learn how an operating system works. Especially if you go to a Gentoo forum of all places.

Also, we already have idiot proof linux distros. It's called Ubuntu/Elementary OS/Zorin OS. The only problem with them for normies is the occasional lack of hardware support/bugs.

I have to admit, the handbook is awesomeballs
This

>You can't compile your own kernel, and a lot of the source code is hidden.
Why lie?

What did I lie about? Genuinly curious.

because we don't need an another baby monitor OS and actually want to do some serious work

more welcoming hmmmm.....
they are two kinds of people one who want to learn cli and one not . CLI one automatically migrate to linux and other will use windows or zorin os which have themable shit .
you can't get more people until people are not interested or they have work on linux ..
These idioits use 23 hrs plus on insta+snap+fb+twitter+etc.How they can learn basic command in linux .

Workstation/Server:
developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/build/build.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000905-CH221-BEHJDFCA
Embedded/Mobile:
developer.apple.com/documentation/coreimage/writing_custom_kernels

Sources
opensource.apple.com/

How does compiling a kernel or editing a config file teach you about how operating systems work. It's just an error prone long install sequence. We aren't special because we run linux, it doesn't instantly make you a super leet hacker that needs to be respected. I run linux because it pisses me off the least day to day. It's consistent (mostly). What the fuck do I know about operating system internals? Next to nothing.

Hmmm, okay. There is still a lot of hidden source code though isn't there. In for example, the Aqua Desktop, and Itunes. How about the source code for kernel drivers. I think they're called kexts or something? Are they open source?

>Apple did it
They didn't. Which is why the majority of Apple income comes from repairing (replacing) everything normies have fucked up because Apple users are just so dumbshit, including the software side.

Quite un-welcoming?

Are people out of their minds? The real world isn't welcoming unless everyone else takes care of your sorry ass. How could you expect any place on the internet to be nice to you specifically?

post the github pull request..

Just think of all the hours you're wasting trying to fix trivial shit in your hardcore chad OS rather than actually pretending to do work!

Attached: squid3.png (553x668, 409K)

I use linux for very similar reasons, pisses me off way less than Windows or MacOS. But then you're basically asking the same question OP is. Meanwhile, the user in the OP's pic, asked on a fucking Gentoo forum. Gentoo being an OS where users compile their own packages and manage as much of their own system as they can. It's understandable if this user was new and accidentally found themselves on the gentoo forum, in which case he still should've gotten yelled at for not reading the first page of the website. But this user went to the place where everyone goes to when they do want to learn how an OS works, of course they aren't going to tolerate bullshit, that could've been easily avoided. They are so fucking sick of answering the same questions.

This

Windows does everything I want, I'm not learning shit.

Because open source projects are for the greater good or shit like that, not competing who has a better setup. If you're an elitist, you can leave.

Apple provides the entire OS (Darwin), they do not release every non-critical component. As you mentioned Aqua is one of them, a non-OS-critical, and standard-behavior-dependent component of OS X. There's no reason not to use Apple's builds of it unless you're trying to defeat the standards of the system, which is the entire appeal and foundation of OS X (that it is a system with standard expectations you can make guarantees about).

If you modified Aqua, the resulting bundle would not be a valid incarnation of OS X, so it would be pointless anyway. Same with things like CoreAudio. It's good because it can make guarantees about other components, and in itself is a standard component that should have expected behavior. There's no benefit in publishing the source outside of educational purposes. Which they probably do in private under NDA.

>How about the source code for kernel drivers. I think they're called kexts or something? Are they open source?
It's really rude of you to ask me this after speaking with authority you know nothing about, and having me do your research for you once. Now you want me to do it again, on top of what I already added. If you want to know, go find out, don't just parrot what other people say and expect people to say things for you.

They give you everything you need to research the OS itself, as well as modify, build, and use it.
Aqua is not a critical component of the OS.

What greater good? You want to get shit done, everyone knows that there's no time wasted on fucking appealing to a minority of people who get flustered because someone didn't use the proper wording when interacting with them. Specially nowadays. If you can't get into the framework where you learn without having everything given to you, you won't really be able to contribute much anyways. Take a close look at projects where they take too much care of people and baby them to death, let's see how much of that is "for the greater good".

They also release and fund important tools that are often influential to other *nix systems.
>cups; every unix machine ever
>launchd; caused people to improve init
>clang/llvm; made progress on the compiler front and forced others to compete
>webkit; literally everything uses webkit anymore if it needs to render html
>rendezvous/bonjour/mdns; one of the most convenient systems ever for automating discovery between hardware and software
There's probably more shit.

>tfw lost 4 hours yesterday on the gentoo meme becaus nowhere in the wiki did it say that vega doesn't work with the current stable kernel

Attached: 37faffb262c41afb640937547657fbdd2139b475.jpg (500x667, 166K)

>everyone knows that there's no time wasted on fucking appealing to a minority of people who get flustered because someone didn't use the proper wording when interacting with them
This reminded me of the brilliance of the OpenBSD team's decision to use Comic Sans as their official font. You question the choice until you realize that the font of documentation doesn't matter, the words themselves do. Anyone who complains about the font can be disregarded for 2 reasons.
1) it has nothing to do with the technical nature of the project and is purely a personal one
2) if you care about fonts religiously or have eye problems, figuring out how to change it is a solvable problem that you should have figured out by now in the general case

Let's not.

>spent multiple days configuring Arch as a KVM
>after passing through the audio device it sounds like shit
>the workaround is to relay the audio through pulse
>defeating the purpose of a kvm
I was mad.

The second we make linux seamless for my grandma the second proprietary starts getting added. We don’t need to make linux any more welcoming then it already is. If one wants to use linux they will learn it and use it.

You know many distros already use proprietary software, right?

This. Using even Windows requires having to use your brain. People don't appreciate retards who refuse to use their brains.

read the man pages faggot

Attached: gentoomoan.jpg (1920x1080, 244K)

Invite all the other kernels to a slumber party.

A lot of distros have proprietary software already, if you don't want this you can fuck right off to Void, Parabola or some shit like that.

a manual and a wiki are not the same. kill yourself for trying to sound cool but ultimately not knowing what the fuck you're talking about

Because distros like gentoo are hobbies. If you're trying to use gentoo it means you don't have work to get done and are autistic enough to deal with the details yourself.

Make it a full OS like GNU.
Remove nonfree code.

Introduce more soys like Bryan Lunduke to the mainstream media. Then all the normies and their barbeque's will be running Linux.

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Not trying to sound like a faggot and just use a famous quote here, but really, just be nice to people yourself. You can't force everyone to be nice and polite. It'd be kind of fucked up if you even tried. I'm generally willing to help people I'm friends with if they need any GNU/Linux-related helped. I never act like they're stupid, even if their questions seem like simple thing. Everyone had a time where they were really confused about something. I still have those moments occasionally.

thanks for posting this pic, I love it and I can never find it

This
as an OS arch is cancer but they sure can write a nice wiki page

Easy. Click to install tar files.

Real shit it needs to be beyond that. It needs to be click to compile and install tar. So you can have a platform agnostic, non-binary package.
Basically like JARs and APKs. I know it's different forms of bytecode and machine code but in principle, it has to work that way.

The more choices, the more questions.
>do I download the x86 one or the ARM one?
>it says something about "compiler error" third-party-bullshit-library not found

We need platform agnostic, reliable, global reproducible, automated software builds. Then maybe someone would care enough to make software if it actually worked on all the machines available today instead of wasting all your time writing something then porting it.

Something like JAI and other experimental languages may help with this in the future, but right now software sucks for users and developers, systems devs and userland devs.

Ok amend my statement to be whatever the fuck you said. I'm a Linux noob and the only thing that annoys me about it is tar shit. Seriously aside from that mint has been completely noob friendly and I have had absolutely zero issues.

Hell it's easier than windows 10 in most regards.

But yeah...that's me. I'm literally the guy this thread is about, and easier to install shit is the big issue in Linux land.

tar is just an archive, not something you install from. it could contain anything

nix/guix are massively improving how package management is handled, although it could be a long time before less hardcore users get to see this stuff without going out of their way to use it

Spoken like someone who has no fucking clue what they're actually talking about.

removing white bois that NEED any way to feel smug and superior relative to their own real life mediocrity

No where near as dumb as Windows users tho. Those motherfuckers are just painfully dumb.

>t. troon

yea if you're not spending hours tinkering with your computer to get it to print gosh darn it how much dumber can you be?

wtf are you talking about retard