Havnt fucked with routers in 10 years is there anypoint in buying those $300 routers?

havnt fucked with routers in 10 years is there anypoint in buying those $300 routers?

is this too much to spend on a router?

Attached: router.png (718x550, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/google/bbr
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No just get a mikrotik

>300 routers
Do you need the features it has over a 100 USD router?

>Yes
Buy the 300USD router.

>No.
Don't buy the 300USD router.

no just go to your local thrift shop and buy one

If they have good hardware and custom firmware support, then yes. Otherwise, not really. I have a 300 dollars LinkSys router. Great hardware, custom firmware, the works, VPN directly on it. Worth the money.

what routers dont have bufferbloat problems?

No just use your isp one.

Should be possible to implement on any router supporting OpenWRT
github.com/google/bbr

get an edge router x and a separate access point
50$ for wired router with great firmware
+
70-150$ for a great access point that is not tied to the router, great for me as I run a cable to the center of my house, and put the wireless there and have the wired router next to my computer.

as for reason, typically the more expensive give you overall more bandwidth, but honestly, any consumer facing company sucks every dick that is put in front of them, asus sent out a firmware that my router said would work with it, my router downloaded it and whoops you don't have wireless anymore because this firmware was not for this router, it was for the exact same one but 1 revision newer but we labeled it as something your router could use so fuck you.

I say ubiquity over anything else also because consumer routers are shit, and linksys/cisco has gone to absolute shit consumer side, and costs to fucking much for the pro/enterprise entry solutions, a point where ubiquity beats them quite handily.

Not OP but what cheap router you guys recommend? I've been using a DI 524 150mps since 2010 or so but it's starting to show its age when I try to stream high bitrate videos on my network.

No op
Buy a used dell optiplex off Craigslist for $150 or cheaper
Get a low profile Intel dual nic card for $50
Buy a ubiq wireless access point for $80
Buy a network switch for $25
Install pfsense on computer
Never worry again about such things

Or buy the $300 gaymer router that will die in 2 years
Your call user

just use the stock Xfinity router that costs 10 dollars a month to rent goy!

Are you saying that you're still using an ancient router from 2008?

Your router and ap should be separate devices

>intel dual nic
>network switch
ever heard of throttling? that single ethernet wire to the switch is not enough

@67425221
I will never understand posters like yourself

The fuck crack you smoking
Unless you have fiber with 1gb up and down cat6 is perfectly able to handle most anons needs between router and switch
I guess you could go overkill and get a sfp setup but why

>2018
>not building a pfsense router and a security onion firewall

Triband router with built in usb drive NAS and DLNA is pretty sweet. It all depends on what you need out of ur router though.
if you only care about wifi signal strength than a dual band is fine. You can use 2.4 GHz for long ranges and 5 GHz for devices in the same room or adjacent rooms. If you want 3 bands for different things like WAN 4k hdr streaming then one of those 300 dollar routers is perfect for you.
Tldr: its only worth it if you plan on taking advantage of its extra features

and how will it connect to DSL?

Attached: 11muITVpFaL._QL70_.jpg (214x149, 3K)

then you need a modem.

just buy the following
>edgerouter x sfp (fiberport for futureproofing
>any managed gigabit switch with poe
>as many UAP-ACs as needed

thank me later

>havnt fucked with routers in 10 years is there anypoint in buying those $300 routers?
yes

Attached: sex.jpg (1000x1000, 199K)