Has anyone tried Pop! OS from System76? I've been thinking of ditching Fedora for Ubuntu...

Has anyone tried Pop! OS from System76? I've been thinking of ditching Fedora for Ubuntu, but Pop! OS also has an appeal since it's based on Ubuntu, just without the Amazon.

Attached: workflow-workspaces-7036ed0889.webm (800x450, 2.18M)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.system76.com/post/170539007243/distinst-updates-boot-sequence-optimization
daveperrett.com/articles/2012/07/28/exif-orientation-handling-is-a-ghetto/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah, I've tried it and it's pretty good. If you're planning on using Ubuntu Gnome you might as well use PopOS since it's pre-riced and works well enough.

bump

it's just GNOME animations but slowed down

How the FUCK do you get 60fps in GNOME3?

I like the base system of Pop!_OS. It's more bloated than Ubuntu, but it's basically all stuff I use and download anyways, plus improvements on a few of the things I dont like about Ubuntu, and it's got built in power setting adjustments from system76 that are useful for other laptops a bit too.

I just finished securing this new system and came here to share.
Thinkpad E580 with i5 8250U, 16GB RAM, 256GB NVMe for Pop!_OS and 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro.
Custom bootloader rEFInd directly boots the natively LVM LUKS encrypted linux system, or chainloads the Windows Boot Manager, encrypted with Bitlocker, and a memtest86 tool below. It was so unbelievably hard to set up rEFInd with LUKS and LVM, and I couldn't use veracrypt for Windows entire SSD with the EFI being on the NVMe.

I'm locking out the bios from changes to the boot order or boot device selection, and setting strict controls of what can be booted from rEFInd after railroading secureboot to sign what I want it to instead of what Microsoft wants it to.

Forgot the pic, I went to all the trouble of setting this up all day, I came here to share it.

Attached: 20180902_225656.jpg (4032x3024, 3.01M)

>Pop! OS
It's Ubuntu, would rather use Debian stable on the System76 machine.

Pop!_OS is more than just no Amazon, it's an attempt at overhauling Ubuntu, they are branching away from Ubuntu quite a bit and have made work on improving the system performance that shows on benchmarks. Needless to say I like it.

Base install of Pop has less packages than Ubuntu. They remove shit like GNOME games etc. It's arguably less bloated

Yes, it's a larger installer package, but its ridiculously more useful out of the box. A little different under the hood more lately too. They use systemd bootloader now, maybe that was an ubuntu thing, but I removed that right quick.

I always disable animations on GNOME. They are sluggish even on good hardware and harm my UX.

I find the app list animation lags me but the overflow and task switchers dont, which is nice. I dont like the inconsistent behaviour of the task switchers but its bearable

Systemd-boot was chosen by System76, proof: blog.system76.com/post/170539007243/distinst-updates-boot-sequence-optimization
It's understandable given that they develop a distro for their Linux-preinstalled products and don't expect people to dualboot on them, and systemd-boot is faster on UEFI

Yes it is noticeably faster, I dont like its customization tho obviously.

all of this and you couldn't even rotate an image before posting it.

Attached: 1535587225533.jpg (1024x1024, 133K)

It auto rotated itself on the site cause the image was too tall to stand upright. I made it a 1:1 square on another thread and it was fine.

Attached: 20180902_231602.jpg (2989x3021, 3.93M)

What is this bullshit?

Attached: Untitled.png (847x289, 19K)

The Nvidia option just has the proprietary drivers out-of-the-box.

GNOME doesn't run that smooth. Suck my cock.

It does on full HD screen. HiDPI is much worse, though

post your specs

Which hardware? I was using an i5 4460 with a 280x and it was nowhere as smooth using a resolution of 1080p.

I use HDPi in my UHD display just fine.
I have a mid-high range PC though.

I7 6500u on my business laptop. It had 1080p screen which I didn't like, so I bought myself a new laptop with 4k screen and I7 8550u. It had some nasty animation lags, so disabled animations entirely and don't miss them. With how keyboard-oriented GNOME is, animations only slow down your workflow.

It should be much better with dedicated graphics.

Why does the name and logo make it look like it's a childrens OS?

how do user ? am brainlet

no it didn't daveperrett.com/articles/2012/07/28/exif-orientation-handling-is-a-ghetto/

>thinking of ditching

If you try different distros in VMs you can find out for yourself instead of posting silly questions to which no answer will be as useful as trying out the OS yourself.

Download, install in VM, sample, delet if bored. So easy.