Making a wiki page

Can somebody explain to a retarded boomer how i can run my own wikipedia. I want to do this work were i have to piece together info and i want a wiki for it but i'm retarded and can barely understand wikihow. pliz help.

Attached: hqdefault (5).jpg (480x360, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installation_guide
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

well you can just make one on wikia.com, unless you need it to be secret or something.
Also you could use a desktop wiki program like Zim.
If you want a proper legit wikipedia ripoff then you can host your own instance of the wikimedia wiki software on a server. It's not too hard but I will let somebody else explain because I can't be bothered.

yes i would like to host it myself.

create a .wikia page

it has to be on my computer. im not gonna say cia niggers are after me but its something that has to not be online like that.

tiddlywiki
or any of the other dozen personal wiki projects

wikimedia wiki software

mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Good luck!

what program do i need to run this?

You need what's written in the requirements:

mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installation_guide

Just wget -m wikipedia.org and replace all the html with what you want

Let me guess you don't know how to forward the ports for hosting a website

It's not the port forwarding that's fucking with me. It's the port backwarding.

Seems legit

it says stuff about database server and php and web server and all that stuff

I'm pretty sure you can download all of Wikipedia

i unpack the mediawiki and a bunch of files comes out.

what am i supposed to do with this.

Attached: wiki.png (536x810, 45K)

You have no fucking idea. How to run a website, do you? You know what here's what we can do. I'll get a web server for you. I'll maintain it and harden it so Cia niggers can't hack it and I'll provide you with full admin rights so you can write whatever you want on the site.

Here's the catch you have to figure out a good way for us to communicate in private to coordinate and you have to pay the monthly server fee.

1. yes i have no idea.
2. its not cia niggers.
3. might be masons though. maybe even triads.
irregardless its something very serious and its not something all that sexy. boring really.

maybe try looking at the documentation

t. guy who has no idea either

you could like.... start a microsoft word document.....

Attached: silent_by_wen_jr-dckvycy.jpg (1600x2159, 906K)

The topic is irrelevant. If you don't know what a php file is you shouldn't be running a website on your own.

Its good that you came to ask questions(most brainlets wouldn't even get that far) but I guarantee you won't be able to get it running optimally without assistance and even if you do it will probably be on your home pc which holds your personal data and is using your standard resedential home internet. Not only is home internet far too slow but its against their tos. They can and will disable your service if they find out.

I was thinking i would use it first for my self offline and then figure that out later.
the thing is this. connecting 100's of people and 100's of addresses and companies etc. plus photos, files etc. all that stuff is impossible to keep track off unless i got like a wiki.
not to talk about presenting that information.

Sounds like wiki software isn't quite the thing that are looking for/need.

Although you can use firewall rules to make sure only you can use the site

maybe not. i just need something that functions that way i guess.

turnkey linux has a wiki thingy that’s easy af

Just use tiddlywiki desu

Post an email and I'll set one up for you for $100. You need a domain and a vps.

Dokuwiki, it's flat file and you can run it ez mode off a USB or off a web server. Only proper answer for a lovable boomer.

>wikimedia software
It's frustrating working with 20 year old design principles.

That's expensive as fuck for a Vps m8. I can do it for 85 used per year.

Am the user from yesterday that initially offered to run a Vps at cost btw

I'll make the logo.

*85 cad

>85/mo cad for a vps running wikimedia lol.
You could easily get Away with $5usd digital ocean vps but Im not offering a vps, he'd pay $5/mo or whatever, that's just installation and setup fees.

>wangblows
just use wikia you fucking scrub, you obviously have no idea what you're doing.

Did I say 85 per month?

no bully.

jesus christ the edgy teens who post here get off on being mean to people, don't they? you need a web server like apache or nginx to interpret and serve those files, HOWEVER judging by
it seems to me that a wiki isn't the best choice. I'd ask on stack exchange, apparently Jow Forums is on its period and you're just going to get flamed/ripped off here

Attached: UWsYl.jpg (453x604, 50K)

and btw lowendbox.com is your friend if youre going to host a small website

Maybe i didn't explain. I need a way to organize and present a lot of data. ultimately i might make a website but first i need to put the data together. I guess i don't really need a wiki.
But its that type of format with pages and links i need. I don't want to use those online make-a-websites for a number of reasons.

unfortunately it seems like a wiki is your best bet.
ok here is what you do(am user that offered at cost web hosting from before btw).
Go ahead and install xampp.
xampp is a program that is used by web developers mainly to test their site. they use it to run a traditional web server like apache and a database server then load their files on there as they would if they were running a live site.
basically it installs all of the shit you need to run a website on your home computer. if you don't have all of the networking setup then no one from the outside will be able to use the website.
all you need to do to access it is open chrome(or edge, i won't judge) and type in "localhost".
this will direct you to the website on your computer.
to load the wiki software onto apache go into the xampp folder then go into the htdocs folder. when you are in there just delete whatever is there(xampp comes with a basic page that it useless. you can just delete it immediately.) then copy all of the files you extracted from the .rar you got earlier and drop it in there.
then load the homepage of the site(localhost).
When you do this make that that both apache and mysql are running. you can check if they are by opening the xampp control panel. One last thing, you cannot have skype running at the same time. for some fucking reason microsoft in all of their glorious wisdom decided that skype would bind to port 80 which is the exact same port apache uses so if skype is running while xampp attempts to start apache it will fail.

Do you have any questions?

Attached: xampp.jpg (200x253, 10K)

i'm trying this. Is this like when Terry Davis was running templeOS in an emulator?

no. terry used a completely different piece of software to do that. xampp just straight up install the website software on your computer. what terry used created a whole virtual machine with a specific amount of resources dedicated to it at all times.

comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

Only a bit. It's not a virtual machine afaik, if that's what you're asking. Before you buy your own server, make sure to learn the difference between shared hosting and a vps, learn how to ssh and get a gui sftp client.

buy = rent

Oh i thinks its working for me now. Thank you very much.

Attached: 1526086375160.png (380x349, 77K)

Enjoy my man and remember to make backups