Be honest user, what age did you actually start coding and what language did you use?

Be honest user, what age did you actually start coding and what language did you use?

Attached: 2ca.jpg (1600x847, 52K)

i started programming at 16 using python then stopped for a year(programming was a subject in my HS) and i started programming again in python because im a CS student now(im 18)

14, Java to make Minecraft mods because i was a sperg

When I was around 15 or 16 I started to write "code" in batch after I saw some skids doing it in the school library. I remember asking them about it and then spending my time after school googling how to write batch scripts. A few months later I learned about the existence of vbscript and I did some of that. Probably when I was 17 I started to go to a technical school for half of my high-school day and learnt a variant of basic, followed by C#.

Skids in a library fucking with batch scripts changed my life.

VB6 @ 12y/o. I wrote AOL progz.

Dabbled with python around 12-13 when Khan Academy added some videos on it. Upon entering high school, took every cs elective I could. Now studying at a comfy ivy league (though still no friends).

Vb6 8 years old to python 12 years old to c# current

12 C++. my older cousin taught me

12, c++, it was awful

then later, python, it was less awful

TI-83 BASIC, around 10 or so.

21, python

24, Java/Spring, JS/TS, Python

8 year old with Visual Basic .NET and batch scripting

15, c. asked a friend in hs to teach me basics.

Commodore Basic for the most basic of shit in the early 90s. When we got an Amiga 1200, I used to spend my pocket money at the Sunday market buying demoscene and music floppy disks. Looked at the assembler source for the demos and had no_idea_wtf_im_reading.jpg and didn't even bother trying, just enjoyed other peoples work.

7, fuckin Scratch. Not sure that even counts.

13, GML (Game Maker Language)

10 with python 3.1

Based

[spoiler]you have to be 18 to post on the 4chinz user[/spoiler]

javascript then c++

13 with Perl, Lua, and VB. Basically played a lot of MUDs and had to configure triggers based on parsed text input. To this day I'm awesome with text manipulation on the terminal.

> MUDs
God damn, you must be pushing 40

Action Script 2 in Flash 6, 14. Immediately after the family got a (used) computer. Besides paint and notepad, that was the only creative type program on it.

12 or so, C#
Didn't really understand what I was doing but it worked. Did my first own real things with batch, then VB.Net

basic and 6502 assembly (c64)

whoops forgot the age, 17

If you count cobbling together batch files to make the worlds crappiest multiple choice text adventure, then 7.

3, assembly

sure kid, thats completely true and we all believe you

8 months and a half, commodore basic

about 12, and if you start later than this age you'll never be a real programmer.

I still regret not starting earlier, I'll only ever be an average programming because of my late starting age.

I started with Visual Basic and C++ because I'm a boomer.

enjoy your burnout at 30
18 is a perfect age to start

Jokes on you I'm 29 and already burnt out.

Attached: 1532992334870.png (633x640, 280K)

It's true, went on YouTube with the search
"How to make a virus" and the rest is history.

Most of those videos are simple shutdown batch scripts but someone did a msg box so I learned some visual basic script, then with some googling found visual studios. Then it was YouTube tutorials in notepad.exe and hypercam

My father at the time was a sys admin so he encouraged it

jokes on you I'm still in college and I already wanna die because I know that in my country I will work like a slave for a shitty wage

People who "burn out" do so regardless because it's a character fault. Normal people don't "burn out."

I was 13 and it was MS BASIC on an IBM PC XT. Yes, I really am that old.

I started fooling around editing someone else's python code when I was about 7
I didn't really write anything of my own until I was 11

Visual Basic @ 9y/o. Making web browsers and other things. Expanded to Xbox mod tools about 12y/o cos kissless virgin

7, (FMS) Logo, then Pascal, then C, then C++

16. VB

Where are you from? Somehow I feel like I could relate to you

basic

Never. Coding is for faggots, poos, and women.

~9?
turbo pascal

19 java

10, year was 2000
HTML,css,Pascal,Java
Haven't used Java since like 2004. Terrible language

I never touched a programming language in my life.
I'm here for consumer related threads.

14, Processing (best language for learning, unironically)

13, COBOL

I think around 13 or 14, was trying to make a calculator in c#

4. Commodore 64 BASIC interpreter.

21, started with Javascript

I was into TinyMUSH derivatives in my early 20s. Could probably still knock out softcode (the horrible LISP-like "language" for online extensibility). It's what actually gave me the impetus to learn C/C++ - to get away from that abomination.

BASIC and I'm not entirely sure what age, perhaps 6 or 7.

Python and Javascript

8 years of age in 1981 on a friends VIC20 in BASIC. Would sit up through 12 hours overnight entering code from books, such as the classic Biorythms programs.

We'd then attempt to save it to cassette tape, but inevitably lose all the overnight work when we switched off the computer and discover the tape was fucked.

Fun times and memories.

>Coding
Thread discarded.

14. Started scripting with Batch and VBS to automate boring things.

14 in TI Basic.

~10 - basic html/css/js
~12 - some apple basic
~16 - some TI basic
nothing serious until university though, and first actual language was scheme

I programmed a pretty shitty helicopter side-scroller on my PSION MX5 in OPL when I was 12 or 13. But I didn't hone my skills. After a hiatus I picked up R programming which I've been doing since I've been 24 and which has immensely helped make me a valuable employee in my non-IT workplace.

Well, I wrote my first "Hello, World!" program in PHP when I was 12 or so but that doesn't really count because I had no idea what I was doing. I'd say I started to understand the point of when I was 16 because I started to actually to useful stuff instead of fucking around with lua scripts in gmod or batch scripts.

Actionscript

16, PHP/JS

Forced to because of a project I was given then

14, JS with basic HTML

Fucked around with VB at about 12 as I saw the 6th form students using it to do coursework with.
Picked up Java at 15 for the Minecraft meme, but didn't start really considering the more important parts of programming until I started 6th form when being taught Pascal (moved to a different school at that point)

Same for me (yesterday to be honest). How did it turn out for you?

16, Basic HTML

13, 6502 assembly.
Those were the days.

15 actionscript

Ditto this. Good times.

12, basic and 68k assembly

16, Java.

HTML isn't coding.

darkbasic

27 still not burnt out.
looking forward to mastering c++ and making vidya
looking forward to learn R and do science.

15 windows Batch
15,5 vbs (trolling mum with fake errors about her bank account being hacked)
15,7 java
15,8 give up on java because i didnt liked { }
15,85 small basic
16 Visual Basic.net
16,5 c#
16,9 Lua with corona sdk (gaymes for android)
17 Lua, c#, VB -trying to find the right language
17,5 friend told me
>could you make minecraft hack client?
>cannot get that out of my mind
17,6-18(now) Java