LarpOS

Hey Jow Forums! We're in the making of a new, Jow Forums approved OS.
The package manager is replaced by a ports tree that can also fetch binaries. I am currently writing the code.

This is the base system:
* Some kind of ksh (oksh)
* Nex / Nvi as an editor
* Optional MG (emacs-like editor from openbsd)
* Doas (instead of sudo)
* Mk instead of make
* Sbase and Ubase
* LibreSSL
* Sinit
* Musl
* Tmux instead of less
* St
* Rofi
* Probably a dwm rice
* Rsync to clone the ports tree
* Curl
* Both GCC and Clang
* FFmpeg
* W3M
* Duet (bios) and EFISTUB instead of grub

We prefer any BSD&MIT licensed program over a GPL one.
What kernel should we implement?
Ask me anything!

Attached: larp.png (683x624, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitgud.io/LarpOS/larpos-doc/blob/master/doc/PHILOSOPHY.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why don't you contribute to CloverOS instead?

Because it's a DOA system. It's just Gentoo with an installer.

Because that's an install script
Not him but I pushed a commit and it was ignored until there became conflicts

>We're in the making of a new, Jow Forums approved OS.
I automatically distrust it.
>We prefer any BSD&MIT licensed program over a GPL one.
Ah, an autistic "GPL is not the true freedom" tantrum.
>Ask me anything!
What makes you think this is going to get any further than any other Jow Forums project?

We have a road map

We're already in the works on our own custom utilities such as package managers. It just takes putting out one flake to build a snowball, bud.

And road maps absolutely always lead to success...

This actually doesn't sound to gay.

>But
>musl
Musl only? I'm not sure why people would not just go for Alpine. It also has a ports tree and all the packages for a comfy rice.

Let me do the dwm rice

where can I join this?

>Because it's a DOA system.
Just like this project.

*too
I can't spell, I'm sorry.

irc://chat.freenode.net:6697/larpdos

Okay, so you get your custom package manager and whatever other utilities working. Why is anyone going to give a shit about using this, as opposed to sticking with Windows or MacOS or whichever Linux distro or BSD variant, let alone contribute enough for it to truly take off?

user caught up to me, here Because glibc is a piece of bloat.

>Because glibc is a piece of bloat
Sure, I don't disagree at all but how does this answer my first question?

Same reason BSD exists
Make it for ourselves, everyone else can do as they please

Ok, this is just silly, a Win/macOS user obviously won't jump ship but that's also true for a lot of distros that have existed for decades.

Choice. Some users have shown interest in porting the BSD userland into Linux, and we might just do that.

>porting the BSD userland into Linux, and we might just do that.
Ok, that would actually be cool.

Okay, that's nice, but... what actually sets it apart from the other Linux/BSD-based systems?

Never say never; plenty of people have jumped ship from one system to another because there was some advantage to it. I was a DOS/Windows user for ages before jumping ship to Linux and later branching out to MacOS too.

Choice is all well and good, but what actually sets it apart? Why would anyone choose this rather than any other Free Unix-like out there? And I've been hearing people floating the BSD userland on Linux idea for well over a decade now, and no-one's ever actually bothered. There's been more done on porting a GNU userland to BSD.

Yes, but I guess you chose one of the big mainstream distros (or just those that were around back then, don't know how old you are) not a small esoteric one, and LarpOS is going to be the latter, I think that much is clear.

just use the resources and contribute to Void Linux at this point.

>Okay, that's nice, but... what actually sets it apart from the other Linux/BSD-based systems?

gitgud.io/LarpOS/larpos-doc/blob/master/doc/PHILOSOPHY.md

Why? Void Linux could as well been just an Arch implementation with a different init, like Parabola.

Guess, why i know you never tried it.
Void is similar to Arch in some ways, but nothing like it. LarpOS is 1/2 void already.

it uses libressl
it supports glibc and musl
its pretty close to this desu

Sure, but it still needs to have *something* as a reason to use it as opposed to one of the many, many other options. Mentioning coming from Windows or MacOS is merely for the sake of thoroughness; while it's unlikely someone will come from one of those to this, it's not impossible. On the other hand, I gotta say it's pretty fucking unlikely anyone will come to this from any other Linux or BSD too.

Ah, so just a combination of license autism and "complex equals harmful" autism. So does it have any practical advantages over any other distro that's already built around those?

I don't necessarily disagree, and also see a similarity to Void (or Alpine as I mentioned).
Still I think it could be a nice project, I've been looking for the BSDest of distros and haven't been really happy yet.