I've been learning python, and soon I'll start learning and implementing C into programs

I've been learning python, and soon I'll start learning and implementing C into programs.

Any tips or things you wish you knew when you were new?

Attached: pythoin.png (200x200, 8K)

To stay in the highest layer of abstraction I need to accomplish the task instead of doing some autistic shit and reinventing the wheel.

Give up. It's all downhill.

How much C code should I use? I've heard some people say they were hired in for python, but their job is like 85% C and 15% Python

Explain?

It all depends on the task my dude.

C is almost not used today.

if there's a most-used library for something, it's for good reason. don't be some faggot that uses libs that only 10 other people know about. that will make it harder to find support for, and less likely that your next programming job will actually use it.

What do people use now?

This. Don't bother learning standard library shit like urllib when everybody uses requests. But the flipside to this is learn the core non-imported parts to the language well.

Python and Go

>I'll start learning and implementing C into programs.
What the hell does that even mean?

Using cython. That's what it means.

For performance critical stuff.

>Go
For distributed systems, which has better performance Go or Erlang?

Attached: appleII.jpg (550x374, 40K)

ctypes, i guess

It means he'll implement an embedded C interpreter in Python, so he can enjoy the performance of Python combined with the expressivenes and safety of C.

you can solve it smart in python, or not smart in C.
Godlike level is reached if you can do smart C.

Not that user, but I think what he's saying is to use existing tools, don't try to do everything yourself for any reason.

Don't work at low level if you don't NEED to.

go, java, literally anything but erlang.

erlang is pure garbageware.

I'm starting to learn C because I think it will help me understand fundamentals a little more and force me to not write sloppy code. Am I wasting my time?

no, not really, but learning c to understand fundamentals is a fruitless goal. maybe fundamentals in how most POSIX systems work I guess.

yes.
By the same token that you don't start working on a 1930s car if you want to get good at being a mechanic, you don't start learning C if you want to get good at programming.

If you don't *need* to work at such a low level, you shouldn't.

kek

>Am I wasting my time?
Only in regard to "forcing yourself to not write sloppy code". You can only learn that from a language with a sound type system, proper sum types and generic metaprogramming and affinity to functional programming.

>If you don't *need* to work at such a low level, you shouldn't.
basically this. C++ or Rust are much more important to learn since you're exposed to concepts and design patterns that are the future of "low level" software development.

He plans to make bindings or embed Python both of wich will come withthe usual memory management and latency problems.

>If you don't *need* to work at such a low level, you shouldn't.
This. The same applies to embedded scripting languages in that they aren't as well supported as your host language.

Damn, looks like i'm dropping C

c is fucking dogshit

t. zoomer doing a c class currently, it's """""interesting""""""" to assign memory and garbage like that but it's so fucking boring and retarded

I don’t need to install pip to make a HTTP request.

especially given all the research and literal million plus man hours spent on compiler research and language design, most of the tedious and insecure shit done in C is completely superfluous.

Warning, though: After you look into an actually well designed programming language you will posess a general frame of reference for language/system quality and will always look at the average enterprise(TM)/UNIX environment with MAXIMUM DISDAIN like the smeared shit they are.

Basically, your enjoyment for real-life programming ends now.

true, but it's nice to be able to use request vs wrangling with urllib. I have used urllib before as well, but only for exceedingly simplistic http handling.