Linux Steam market share explodes

GNU/Linux Steam market share data for August 2018 is now available and the GNU/Linux market-share has exploded by 0.1% to 0.59%. This massive growth shows the success of the beta roll-out of Wine-based Proton and DXVK which allows many Windows games to be played on GNU/Linux systems.

The survey shows that Linux gamers are mostly running Intel CPUs (80%), the GeForce GTX 1060 is the most commonly used graphics card and the vast majority has more than 12 GB RAM.

It's only a matter of time before Microsoft is bankrupt and finished and the nations will accept the GNU World Order if this massive growth trend keeps up.

Attached: msi-gaming-time.webm (1280x720, 2.89M)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-overview
store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>.1%

Attached: ded_pengun.jpg (781x933, 85K)

Steam Play is no longer beta and you can now enjoy Windows games on your GNU/Linux system with the regular standard Steam client.

Attached: steam-pray.png (1480x1170, 188K)

No shit, Valve made me finally install Linux for the first time and I finally see why everyone talks about it. I threw it on my laptop and I've decided if the next version of Windows isn't any better than the trash that is 10 I'm full time going Linux.

Attached: bouffon.png (219x163, 84K)

Windows 10 is the last windows

>that webm
Fucking cringe. Why is this acceptable? Now I want to destroy my BenQ monitor. Fuck!

>Windows 10
No such thing. You meant Windows 8.1 probably.

i remember when trump had less then 1% support, now its President Trump with a capitol T

>First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

yeah MSI can't make a proper working BIOS but they sure know how to make cringy videos

Attached: MSI 1st VR Ready--_7T6JHKJeo.webm (1280x720, 2.52M)

murrican education in a nutshell

That's just disgusting.
Hopefully I chose AssRock as my mb, not MSI.

that girl is cute idk what you're talking about

They eventually will call it "windows" without any numbers and it will be constantly updated.
So how windows 10 looks like and behaves is pretty much future of windows.

>Hopefully I chose AssRock as my mb, not MSI.
not a bad choice imho

Attached: scotthuang0301_34821008_1978105419167325_7344457418337681408_n.jpg (1080x1345, 1.34M)

not bad at all...

Attached: asrock-0301_35459264_714639645594090_5786406809933709312_n.jpg (1080x1349, 1.05M)

>windows 10
I repeat:
NO. SUCH. THING.

It is. Go to store.microsoft.com and look for windows 10.
No one cares how you call it. It's not your product.

would proton have a big impact in performance with the shit of an igpu i have (hd 3000)

Yup
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-overview

Yes. Don't waste your time.

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH
FUCK YOU

It seems pointless, not even sure it would work. Proton uses Vulkan to run DirectX 11. Not sure the HD 3000 has or even can have proper Vulkan support. I guess you could try it, but ask yourself if it's worth playing games on an old iGPU like that even if you do get it to work. It's one of those things I'd try just for fun but abandon if it doesn't immediately work fine because it just isn't worth spending more than 5 minutes trying to get Windows games running on that iGPU.

>Not sure the HD 3000 has or even can have proper Vulkan support.
HD 3000 does not have Vulkan support but hopefully they add PBA so you get nearline DXVK openGL performance.

Unless someone wants to root through the old intel driver and ring up Khronos to tell them HD 3000 is good with Vulkan now.

Swap it for a 3rd gen HD 4000 if you want Vulkan.

>that girl is cute
but of course she is. I wasn't trying to say that MSI doesn't have some beautiful .. products. I still find the video cringy af

Attached: kofan_0331_33817143_441214849624696_5924237180955262976_n.jpg (1080x1350, 116K)

>Swap it for a 3rd gen HD 4000
probably easier to add some cheap used dedicated GPU than to change motherboard and CPU..

Blame impressionable yellow fever weeb gamers

Intel + nvidia is literally the worst combo for linux LMAO

>muh dick

what's wrong with intel on Linux?

Not much, really. historically Intel's been an bit restrictive on which CPUs had support for PCI passthrough while it was standard on all AMD CPUs. I'm not entirely sure but I have the distinct impression it's become standard on Intel too in the later generations.

of course there's the gigantic 10-20% performance loss with the latest Intel microcode and Linux kernel (with more migrations for all the Intel CPU bugs) but that's not really a GNU/Linux specific thing.

POST. FUCKING. SOURCE
Why must OP always be a faggot?!

I'd like to see how persistent those figures are, i've installed linux on one of my secondary machines for funsies, not sure about my main machine just yet.

MSI boards are shit though. I've built computers for years and yet the only boards that usually died on my hands were MSI boards.

>exploded by 0.1% to 0.59%
>exploded

Attached: 1494272484424.jpg (200x168, 6K)

>.59%
Time to dump those Microsoft shares

I want to switch to linux, what is a good distro that allows steam? Gaming was the one thing holding me back

store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Attached: steam-os-survey.png (560x877, 135K)

Proton is pretty nice, only problem are some games with DRM and Anti cheat

Just go *buntu and don't look more unless something concrete annoys you.

I recommend Kubuntu, but plain Ubuntu is OK too if you only game full-screen

Thank you

But I really think that after only a week is a bit to soon to be expecting results. Word still needs to get around to the gaymurs.

Something Ubuntu-based like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Linux Mint.

I use Solus and I am having a great time.

No idea how well Gecko works but if the above are not to your liking, that or Fedora might be your thing.

0.1 to 0.6 is a 500% increase.

Manjaro is actually good for a gaming distro since rolling and you even have the AUR for even more up to date libraries. For example, I'm running DXVK .71 already.

One thing when using Proton or DXVK to remember, though, is there's a lot more CPU overhead than on Windows due to the API call translation. So, where on Windows you can cheap out on your CPU in favor of a better GPU not so much on Linux.

and going from 1 to 2 is a 100% increase.

cheats are gonna kill it

You understand that even 0.1% of steam userbase is a massive crowd, and that a 500% growth of said massive crowd in a single month is a higher amount of people than the number of different cocks your mum has sucked last month, right?

Despite being very skeptical about Proton, I must say they're making progress nicely.
Some games don't even launch, some games are glitchy, but 100% OJ went from no sound and missing sprites to completely playable in about a week.
With Valve backing them, this thing might be getting somewhere.

You are all missing the point being that microsoft will no longer be "NEEDED", NOT EVEN FOR GAYMS which was really the only selling point for normies.

First games, then productivity. Valve will kill Microsoft as the de facto computing platform

20% of steam users will be on Linux by 2020, mark my words.

You know what would be a real killer, a ChromeOS version of steam.

Naturally games will be limited if they are on of the ARM models, but it might be interesting if developers start including ARM optimised versions as part of the steam installer.

Was considering to suggest it, but Arch-base for new users seems like a bad idea

I do think this is important.
If Windows finally has real competition, Microsoft's hand will be forced. They'll *need* to fix their shitty OS.

>not using Steam with Slackware

Manjaro is training-wheels as fuck. Also I think their repos are slightly different to prevent shit from breaking like it does in Arch.

Manjaro takes most of the pain out of Arch. Don't even need the command line for package management. Also, many if not most gamers are comfortable changing settings and things around. We're talking about DOOM players here, not grandma.

Don't jump all the way in immediately. Dual boot first. Once you can handle fixing a few things with help from IRC and forums, then you'll be ready.

Doom source ports on Linux are nice

This. I run it because I want Arch without the Autism. In the old days I was fine with Arch but these days I have kids and a full time job. Hence, time is more valuable to me.

It's already too late. Why would people switch to Linux just to switch to Windows again later on?

Windows 10 is the final Windows. Windows is a service now.

Around 16 million were playing at peek hours so something in the ball-park of 80,000 people are gaming on GNU/Linux systems. I guess you could call that a massive crowd if you imagine them all crammed together in the same geographical area. As a part of the worlds population it's nothing.

They would need to do a whole lot more then just fixing it if they want to get people back after pissing them off enough to leave

I'm not saying people would come back. I mean they would want to keep the people they still have.