/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Oh Christ, It's Almost Autumn Edition

ITT: Lovely Tech and Decor

Attached: bossa_moonraker_futures.jpg (810x540, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bossasound.com/img/feature/frequency_response_light.svg
articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-11-03/entertainment/8901280103_1_converter-digital-sound-digital-electronics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Fi_murders
genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/Catalogues/genelec_bass_management_-_lfe_channel_daisy-chain_-_application_note_-_september_2016.pdf
genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/Catalogues/genelec_bass_management_-_centralized_vs_distributed_-_application_note_-_december_2015.pdf
genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/Software/GLM 2.0/genelec_sam_systems_-_application_note_-_july_2015.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Le Remains of Le Olde Thread:

Attached: 201710_kefnocturne1.jpg (1000x667, 408K)

Attached: MG-Sound_LHS1_COL.jpg (1000x667, 127K)

Attached: dynaudio focus 110 qt.jpg (1600x1200, 266K)

Attached: 37298076_226864634637157_6999062504944959488_n.jpg (1080x836, 66K)

Attached: 02e1503986d9438079baf19b813cd1c2.jpg (2016x1512, 425K)

Attached: Floating-Vinyl-Player.jpg (2000x1409, 296K)

Attached: meg922.jpg (492x768, 66K)

digits

Attached: o.jpg (1000x747, 82K)

in the last thread the degenerate attention whore has butthurted more than usual
is it because he got his memebeths and suddenly understood they are even worse than ls50?

that turntable looks like something a retard would buy to listen to kendrick on vinyl because it's the hip thing to do

Go to sleep, Alvin.

Attached: IMG_1373.png (466x470, 471K)

Is there a reliable site that aggregates frequency response graphs? I've heard people say the Monitor Audio Bronze series is too bright but I'd like to have a reference (besides auditioning obviously).

No, there isn't a strong enthusiast community as with headphones since measuring a speaker reliably involves a free field room instead of a cheap makeshift dummy head so circlejerking on sbaf about homemade measurements probably won't ever be a thing

How could you use a reference that you haven't listened to? Just go to a Best Buy Magnolia store.

Does anyone know if Magnat makes decent speakers?

Attached: 150503.Magnat8.jpg (850x636, 384K)

Attached: 1drxjuxllkr01.jpg (4000x3000, 1012K)

Are bluetooth IEM's a meme? I am considering buying a pair, because I am sick and tired from cables getting fucked up after 2 months use and ordering replacement cables from chinkland is not an option because they are shit as well.

the best and cheapest solution is to not be retard and take care of your stuff. if you manage to break your cables then you will also manage to lose wireless ones.

How exactly can you take care of that cable ending near the 3.5mm jack connector which twists and bends like motherfucker when the phone is in your pocket.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 94K)

Looks pretty comfy. I bet those would sound better if off the wall a bit more though.

What are the boxes on the second shelf? A phono pre and something?

close curtains and do not put rack between speakers
final warning

Attached: rs_IMG_1361.jpg (2000x1500, 382K)

>bossa
you know it's a meme brand when they don't tell you the frequency range in the specifications.

doubt he'd hear any difference. maybe the curtains, that little rack no.

by not stuffing the headphones in your pocket with your phone.

This is the back of a subwoofer I want to use. What is the cord called that I need to connect this to my sound card. The back of the sub just says line level in as you see in the picture. I recently connected some speakers to an old receiver and plugged it into my sound blaster z sound card. Some awesome people here helped me. I want to plug this sub into my sound card (it has a 3.5 mm line out for a subwoofer) so basically I’ll have two bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. It should be awesome.

Attached: 83256DB8-7A46-4EF4-9F77-E119F0BBAE26.jpg (4032x3024, 2.33M)

You suggest I hold the phone at all times?

at least they have some sort of frequency plot on the bottom of their page, weird scaling overall, 1k normalized to 103ish dB for whatever reason.
but that way you can see it plays -6dB at 55ish Hz if you really want to know that for a speaker which is clearly more a piece of furniture
>bossasound.com/img/feature/frequency_response_light.svg

i suggest you to not listen music in public

Excellent answer, bud.

Any time, pal.

I donno. I hate bluetooth. The connection eventually drops - at some point, even the good ones - and then you are blasting whatever through your phone speakers. Always at the wrong time in the wrong place.

Their top-end model measured so well that I considered buying it without testing it. I trust that brand.

any good 2.0 speakers (decent bass) within 300merkeldinars and a black/white design?
for reference, i had the dali zensor 1s and the bass was more than enough for me

how about black or white dali zensor 1

sopra looks very nice
rel gibraltar sub will be good match

Attached: 118CD20A-12F2-4734-92EC-4AC578BF177B.jpg (600x535, 71K)

fucking legend mate, thought they only had black or wood trim.
>tfw, i've been poor for too long

Attached: dd67000.png (614x400, 175K)

wtf

nice

>he uses lil dinky computer speakers!

Attached: deaf-blind.jpg (620x414, 57K)

Attached: hold it but only on the sides.jpg (485x359, 27K)

when you put a chip in an $6K subwoofer

those got klnda not the greatest reviews

They look like some futuristic thrash bins.

What's your problem? Post a "good looking" speaker

not him but

Attached: 4355-5-2l.jpg (5536x3690, 1.55M)

those remind me on Gallo nucleus

Attached: 5A5F4707-5835-4B4D-9860-D318A3A6E88E.jpg (600x550, 91K)

looks like TARS m8

What's with the gaping holes?

Attached: 1527108300968.jpg (750x750, 33K)

you're a faggot m9
bass reflex ports

I never said they look bad in the first place. But if wish look at

ghastly alien infiltrators

its like they forgot to finish

yes they do but i want two of them

Found this Panasonic CD+Receiver (2000) mini-component at Goodwill for $4. Connected it to a pair of SS MB150H (Sony) which cost $5 (the pair). Now its a complete system for $9. How does it sound, Bros?

Attached: DSC_6701.jpg (1000x496, 517K)

Superior taste user. JBL is love, JBL is life.
Wooferlets don't need to apply.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 276K)

take it apart
so we can see within

Attached: 50019124-00001.png (250x250, 16K)

that has a 1-bit DAC, lol

A Bitstream or 1-bit DAC is a consumer electronics marketing term describing an oversampling digital-to-analog converter (DAC) with an actual 1-bit DAC (that is, a simple "on/off" switch) in a delta-sigma loop operating at multiples of the sampling frequency. The combination is equivalent to a DAC with a larger number of bits (usually 16-20). The advantages of this type of converter are high linearity combined with low cost, owed to the fact that most of the processing takes place in the digital domain and requirements for the analog anti-aliasing filter after the output can be relaxed. For these reasons, this design is very popular in digital consumer electronics (CD/DVD players, set-top boxes and the like).

stand back, I got this

Attached: GD072174Wall.jpg (600x421, 64K)

dont laugh many cheapo CD players still use 1 bit:
"Matsushita, parent of Technics, developed most of the MASH system (Multi-stAge noise SHaping) in conjunction with NTT. NTT saw the advanced digital technology as a way to improve telephone service. Technics saw it as a way to improve high-fidelity sound in digital electronics.

If you`ve been reading the ads or have entered a stereo store during the last two years, you`ve been regaled with a new CD jargon. While the CD system uses only 16 bits to encode sound, many companies advertise players with 18 or even 20 bits.

Building a perfect 16-bit digital-to-analog converter is fiendishly difficult. An imperfect D/A converter increases distortion and impairs tonal quality, especially in music with low levels. Designing D/A converters with more bits provides a greater margin of error. It began to seem that the audio world would charge off adding more and more bits, which became as much a marketing ploy as a technical attribute.

Swimming against the tide, Technics introduced CD players using one-bit technology. They don`t short you any bits; they simply arrive at 16 differently from existing systems.

Here`s why a one-bit system can be theoretically better than 16-, 18- or 20-bit systems.

Assume you`re watching Julia Child on TV. You`re trying to follow her recipe at home. Unfortunately, you only have a 1-pint measuring cup. If Julia tells you to dump 16 ounces of flour in the bowl, it`s simple. But if she tells you to add 12 or 7 ounces of flour, you have to guess, unless the ounces are marked. What you really need is a 1-ounce measure. When the recipe calls for 2 cups of flour, you simply fill your 1-ounce measure 16 times (very quickly). Whatever the recipe calls for, whether it`s 1 ounce of butter or a half-cup of sugar, you`ll always have an accurate measure."
articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-11-03/entertainment/8901280103_1_converter-digital-sound-digital-electronics

Attached: 44d4b1e2fc016134a8a4241eea443a8c.jpg (640x427, 135K)

its probably close to this
kinda qt
only 15 wpc

Attached: remont-muzykalnyh-centrov-Panasonic-SA-PM01-6.jpg (600x450, 80K)

I'll take it apart this weekend maybe. But first... Panasonic CD+Receiver connected to Dynaudio Contour. How does it sound, mane?

Attached: DSC_6715.jpg (1000x609, 211K)

probably like shit

probably sell that on ebay for 80 bucks

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Fi_murders

Good thing Zensor 1 are super cheap.
Still more expensive than they where back in 2012 when I bought them but still cheap imo.

>rape, torture, and murder
>NAACP defends you, calling your prosecutors racist
I did not want to read this today.

I'd never kill for just analog.

Anyone have experience with routing CD optical output into a dac... does it work?

I got a shit ton of acoustic panels. How to arrange them?

2 2x6 panels
2 4x4 square panels
1 4x6 panel
these panels are 3.5 or 4 inches thick
and two really heavy really thick 6 inches thick 4x6 panels
theyre all fucking heavy. help.

Yes. It would be hard to find a DAC that doesn't support 16/44.1 PCM.

I have the option to buy a 7270A GLM subwoofer for an killer price, anyone else have experience with their subwoofers? Should I pair it with my 8330As?

Attached: pd7270a03.jpg (1393x1400, 165K)

Buy a right angle adaptor. Look up TRRS right angle. It'll keep your cord parallel to the bottom of the phone = less stress.

Attached: TRRS Right angle adapt.jpg (500x500, 11K)

Okay thank you user.

> told this story before,
> grandparents had stereo.jpg
> grandfather passed away, grandma is in a home now
> uncle ended up with the stereo
> threw it out because "of broken cord" or something
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: Electrhome Apollo.jpg (880x880, 128K)

comfy happy hifi
like it

I have like Bose everything. Come at me.

Attached: big-dick-is-back-in-town-big-dick-27318317.png (500x589, 444K)

what's it like having shit ears, facebook ironic weeb?

Which ones do you have?

w-what is that

The 7270 only has digital aes input/output, there's also differences in signal processing.
>genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/Catalogues/genelec_bass_management_-_lfe_channel_daisy-chain_-_application_note_-_september_2016.pdf
>genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/Catalogues/genelec_bass_management_-_centralized_vs_distributed_-_application_note_-_december_2015.pdf
>genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/Software/GLM 2.0/genelec_sam_systems_-_application_note_-_july_2015.pdf

I'm in a similar situation, looking for a SAM subwoofer and center channel to expand my setup to 5.1. I only have 82xx sam monitors though.

Amar Bose recognizes that no accurate portrait of him would be complete without the mention of legal proceedings, most notably his 14-year battle with Consumers Union, the group that publishes Consumer Reports, over a disparaging review of his model 901 speaker that he felt was based on bad science. Bose Corporation became the first company to beat CU in court, but the decision was reversed on appeal. Bose then took the case to the Supreme Court of the United States.

The press, fearing for its freedom, shrieked. A friend-of-the-court brief submitted to the Supreme Court carried the names of eight major media companies, including CBS, NBC, the New York Times Co. and Newsweek, apparently a knee-jerk reaction since Dr. Bose claimed a mere handful of writers had bothered to call for his side of the story.

I covered the case in an Audio magazine piece, published in December 1984 after the Supreme Court had ruled against Bose, and mentioned related matters: a 10-page lawyer's letter to a magazine called Physician's Life Style demanding redress for comments it made about the 901 in 1974; litigation to block publication of a 1976 issue of England's Hi-Fi Choice that included a Bose speaker review—Dr. Bose told me that had been instigated by U.K. management without his knowledge; and one pitting Bose's Dutch subsidiary against Consumers Union in the Netherlands (not connected to CU here). Bose Corporation has also defended turf it lay claim to by challenging rival manufacturers over model numbers, including Thiel, as John Atkinson's footnote to John Marks' obit notes, and Dual, which once renamed a cassette deck initially sold as the 901.

.. there's not a lot of "hard" review of bose products - perhaps because they're afraid of being sued

An audio company unwilling to post or give you specifications of their products is not cool.

I think what gets most people here annoyed is that their stuff is overpriced, overhyped and they shy away from honest comparisons with other products that are either cheaper for the same quality or perform better for the same price(or less).

I think the most analagous company is not a cable thief but Starbucks. The coffee they buy is very low grade even if it comes from a famous coffee region. The burn the beans during roasting so that only the burnt flavor comes through to mask the poor bean quality. Then they sell it at a premium price while proclaiming loudly how great their stuff is. Of course most of what they sell is not coffee but caffeinated milkshakes. You can put any garbage coffee into some vanilla mocha latte slop and the quality won't matter at all.

Similarly if you put your MP3 player into a Bose it won't sound as truly awful as it does on a more revealing system.

BTW, I roast my own beans (lightly) and drink it black (OK with half a Splenda sometimes). My speakers are Vandersteens which are about the polar opposite of the Bose 901 in philosophy. My speakers image beautifully albeit with a very small sweet spot. The 901s filled the room with reflected sounds resulted in a big sound but poor spacial imaging. They were also very power hungry at a time when power was very expensive. The sounded the same no matter where you sat.

Some of the higher end Bose speakers, like the 901’s are full range speakers. Although I did learn something interesting about their older Acoustimass line. Those are the double cube speakers with or without the bass module. I discovered they are nowhere near capable of full range sound. They have a sharp high frequency rolloff AT 14 KHZ!!! That is awful! And the bass module does not go very low and there is a huge bass gap in the crossover between the cube speakers and bass module. They don’t even meet the standards for DVD Audio. If I didn’t jack the bass and treble up on those speakers, they would have sounded like speakers with towels over them. And dicking around with the cube position and room reflections was a complete joke. Thank god those speakers were only temporary.

This is what broke the camels back for me with Bose and many of their small speakers have this problem. You pay double the price of much better speakers only to be pushed to be convinced your Bose cubes sound good.

Have you ever broken open a speaker system built by Bose? For all of the speakers they manufacture, they use custom drivers they’ve designed in-house. They’re always heavily customized and unique. At the same time, I’ve also broken open dozens of JBL speaker systems only to find generic speaker drivers from Chinese suppliers. Case in point - some of the lower end JBL sound bars use the same subwoofer that can be found in a $100 Sony 2.1 home theater system (Model: SRS D9). That tells a LOT about the difference in the philosophy of the two companies.

I bought the original Bose 901 in 1970 and still have them. The 4" drivers we now call "midwoofers" (the term didn't exist AFAIK back when) have too high inertial mass to be a good tweeter. IMO they cannot reproduce the top octave satisfactorily. If you can't hear that octave anyway due to hearing loss it doesn't matter. But if you can, it is very noticable. Therefore no amount of treble equalization will overcome its lack of high frequencies. But even if it could, a 4" driver would beam all of its high frequencies on axis. This would not matter as much for the rear drivers but the front driver where the precedence effect creates the apparent directional source and high frequencies play a major role would suffer anyway. I've re-engineered mine into two way systems using six 3/8 polydome tweeters per channel. Less than 5% of the treble energy is directed forward, the bulk of it is backwards and upwards. IMO this has made a great improvement without any sacrifice to the special spatial qualities inherent in the design.

I heard the Series VI briefly about a year ago at a Bose store in a shopping mall in California. It had the same dull high end to my ears as other versions of 901. This was not all that different from other speakers in the 1960s and 1970s. I don't know if the ported design can reach anywhere nearly as low as the original acoustic suspension design but given its dimensions, I doubt it. I'd guess it probably rolls off at around 40 hz. This would make it much more efficient though requiring only a low powered amplifier. Series 1 (or II) will suck up 138 wpc at bass frequencies like it was nothing. For this reason and because the speaker seems to exhibit a 6db per octave rolloff starting at around 250 to 500 hz where it has about a 7db peak with respect to 1khz in my room, additional equalization and lots of power are required IMO to get the full potential from this design.

You gem, thank you so much for sharing this, they have fantastic documentation. It looks like it should work. Don't know if 12" is overkill for my room but it's the same price for me right now as the 8" smart sub.

Bose is a great marketing company that makes mediocre speakers. I believe most would agree that they start their design from a flawed premise. They've always said that 7/8 of the sound we hear is reflected, as apposed to direct sound. This is why most of the drivers in a 901 face in odd directions. Ask anyone from Bose where this number comes from and they can't tell you. This is creating false space as apposed to recreating the space that is actually captured on the recording. Then you have their active equalizer that is there to compensate electronically by forcing drivers past their physical limits to get a "big" sound out of a small box. This MUST create distortion. This is only one of the products, the others are equally flawed.

Look at their tendency to sue people. They sued CEDIA (Consumer Electronics Design and Installation Association), a trade association of which they are a member for the use of the word "Lifestyle" with respect to audio. Years ago they sued Thiel because they used that same model number. Bose unsuccessfully sued the magazine Consumer Reports for libel. Consumer Reports reported in a review that the sound from the system that they reviewed "tended to wander about the room." The District Court found that Consumer Reports "had published the false statement with knowledge that it was false or with reckless disregard of its truth or falsity" when it changed what the original reviewer wrote about the speakers in his pre-publication draft. The Court of Appeals reversed the trial court's ruling on liability, and the United States Supreme Court affirmed it. They sued someone for a bad review.

Then look at their draconian approaches in retail such as insisting that their products NOT be set up where they can be actively demoed against other brands, and tactics of demanding that managers fire sales people that say anything remotely negative about their brand ON THE SPOT or risk being cut off as a dealer.

rec me a dap for $100-200

Attached: DAP_Korea_Vinacam.png (1330x1671, 1.67M)

goddam thatsalotta potash

For me it's accuracy above LF extension and SPL. I prefer a tighter sounding/better integrated solution to just bigger drivers. It's worth noting that the 73xx sam subs have more DSP correction filters and are more easily integrated with the 8330.

Still, that is a great price for the 7270 and it's probably worth jumping through a few legacy hoops to make it work. Not to mention it's got plenty of headroom if you want to expand to 5.1 later.

I'd try this..
>2 2x6 panels
Front wall corners
>2 4x4 square panels
First side wall reflections
>1 4x6 panel
Ceiling above listening position if you can mount OR center of back wall

Does the job. Good and smart collection of components.

My dad has one of these. It sounds really nice.

I also like that it is impossible to overdrive and has protection in it. So you'll never get it to distort.

Have any of you ever bought anything from others through this general? I feel like asking anons to buy their stuff (for example the QX-2 from the user who preferred the Polk s20 over them), but i feel like I'd surely get fucked over.

No, I think these generals are actually fairly new though. I'm always a skeptic of contacting people I met on Jow Forums because I assume the worst, but, you can get fucked over anywhere. Use PayPal or some intermediate.

I bought (or rather, paid for the shipping of) a Proson RV-2050 from an user who said he was going to throw it away in this general. Damn, did he deliver. Thing came in its original box, and he even included the original remote.
If you're reading this, you're my hero, user.

Attached: IMG_20180905_165537.jpg (2560x1920, 2.08M)

Is this a joke?

After the suggestions and comments I got about my room I decided to go full autism JUST mode and fuck around. Got some panels for free. Sounds great, but now my room looks even worse now, lol. Maybe I should get a rug that's eggshell and matches the panels?

Attached: IMG_3628.jpg (4032x3024, 1.94M)