Why do niggas use stretcher bond instead of English or Flemish bond?

Why do niggas use stretcher bond instead of English or Flemish bond?

Attached: 215E5973-2E90-415E-9BC3-4A5702BD57FA.png (178x229, 880)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gTsosoYEfgM
youtube.com/watch?v=p5qVxAoKwbE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cheaper but still sturdy

because they have common sense?

What is the pic even supposed to represent? Brick wall layouts?

I’ve seen niggas with two brick thick walls and this on both sides
What caused the change? I see old (early 20th c) buildings with English bond all over Muh Australian city

It’s called culture read a jpg

Common is right

Why did ppl stop building something that will stay up for centuries?

Capitalist greed and selfishness.

I suspect there’s a construction technology shift behind it
Capitalism had been going a long time and the cutoff looks like about the 1950s

>Capitalism had been going a long time
Only since about 1789-99. Lets call it 1790. 1950 - 1790 = 160.

160 years is not a long time, but merely a blink in the 200,000 year long Human history.

It's fast and cheap, like most modern constructions

neoliberalism then

Uniformity of materials allows for quicker and cheaper production, especially if by hand.
If I can use one set of moulds for all of my bricks, and replace any brick that breaks with any other brick, then I will experience fewer/less significant setbacks in my production process.

Why would someone choose Flemish or English bond? Looking at the picture it seems similar that they would give same results besides the pattern.

Better mortar and brick, you don't need to build elaborate crap to build something solid anymore, specially related to shear forces which is the weakness of normal stretcher bond.

Flemish and English bond was a way to increase the wall resistance to shearing and increase insulation, but these are not needed anymore.

The picture is a bad in representing how the bricks are laid.

youtube.com/watch?v=gTsosoYEfgM

New Orleans would've survived Katrina had we used a Flemish bond.

>tfw

Attached: high-five.jpg (460x325, 41K)

Extreme Jenga

I can smell the poo emanating from that video
are there really people who don't mind smelling poo just to learn about brick walls?

OP here, talked to a building site inspector (can’t remeber exact job title) and he mentioned that bricks are a lot stronger today, as is mortar
This aligns with my personal experience and what at least one builder has told me
I think this is the right answer

I can’t stand it but someone I think did an American tourist’s take on brick walls in Denmark on YouTube

Guess what, we still use streacher bond in england.

Bricks overall are a shit building material if you live anywhere that gets earthquakes.

>if you live anywhere that gets earthquakes
What are you doing in Haiti, user?

History is not 200,000 years long.

>Capitalism hasn't been a thing as soon as property became a thing
Capitalism is as old as civilisation. The industrial revolution only gave manufacturers steroids

because it's similar with English bond but with same size brick.

mason here

the bottom 2 examples are poor for large projects (walls/fireplace), the more mortar lines you have the less strength you have

the bottom two id guess are more for aesthetic/flourish accents in small amounts

People have been building wooden houses all the fucking time, its not a fad you mouthbreathers. Greek and Roman peasants lived in wooden houses. Medieval Europe, mesoamerican cultures, Asians, all used wooden houses, they all just rotted away after less than a century so the only old houses you see are the ones out of brick and mortar.
The use of brick has more to do with cost of materials and labour, along with the longevity expectations and location.

Attached: 15.jpg (590x876, 49K)

isn't the point of the bottom two that the walls will be twice as thick and support a higher load? if it was just one brick wide I'd probably agree

The bricks are all the same, they're just sideways in the lower two techniques. OP chose a horrible pic that shows 3 different sizes, but they're only two in reality. Flemish and stretcher implies double thickness.

Human history starts when Humans start.

>Capitalism is as old as civilisation. The industrial revolution only gave manufacturers steroids
Brainlet answer. There's so much wrong with your post I don't know where to begin
>capitalism
Defined by wage-labour relations and capitalist mode of production, that didn't exist until 1790 or so. Guilds, mercantilism, etc.
>civilisation
A meaningless term. But you must mean European civilisation. However, the first high cultures and organised States appeared in Africa.
>industrial revolution
Not a single event, but more a disconnected series of innovations and introduction of those innovations into manufacturing processes, transportation, infrastructure, etc.

t. Historian of technology

If you take into account the abbreviated lifespan for a 15th century peasant, you'll see that a brick house was overcapitalizing the land.
Besides, after a few tears any house would be teeming with vermin.

>English or Flemish bond
What the fuck is this real?

Because the bricks don't hold the building up anymore.

this, bricks are for show.

>Why did ppl stop building something that will stay up for centuries?
because someone will have to tear it down in decades

*crack*
Now, bricks...
*sip*
THOSE were a good building material
*cracks a new one*
they just don't make them like that anymore

>>capitalism
>Defined by wage-labour relations and capitalist mode of production
wrong. capitalism can be distilled down to the free exchange of goods between people.
t. economist

>liberal economist
>moron
What a surprise.
>capitalism can be distilled down to the free exchange of goods between people
The word is 'reduced' and no it cannot. That is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. How are you not ashamed to have typed it?
>Adam Smith didn't need 700+ pages for Wealth of Nations, he needed only a pamphlet: "just exchange goods freely lmao".
>Marx wasted time writing Das Kapital in 3 volumes
These are the insights you can provide to your supposed field.

that video is pure kino

youtube.com/watch?v=p5qVxAoKwbE

Because everyone needs to work. The only way to be the "good guy who makes jobs" is to increase production, and you can only sell more stuff if the things you make are disposable, quick to break, or quick to become obsolete.