Can someone explain to me why Linux is worth using?

>Be me.
>Somewhat technically minded.
>Use Windows 10.
>Shit's gay, but it is what it is.

Why do people use Linux?

Attached: linux.jpg (284x177, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fossbytes.com/intel-processor-backdoor-management-engine/
techrepublic.com/article/is-the-intel-management-engine-a-backdoor/
popularresistance.org/new-intel-based-pcs-permanently-hackable/
israel21c.org/intel-announces-8th-gen-processors-developed-in-israel/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because tinkering with the OS is fun.

Why do people buy project cars? Because it's fun

disclaimer: I'm not a programmer and have little to no knowledge of programming.
The reasons I like and use Linux are the following:
>more control over what software is deployed on my PC (the principle pleases me although functionally probably isn't very significant)
>more privacy than any of the alternatives
>just overall faster to use (doesn't slow down over time, package manager is much more convenient than not having one, etc)
>insane amount of customization

That's really it. It's pretty cool but at the end of the day it's just another OS. It won't change your life but its definitely something fun to tinker and experiment with.

I don't think there's a viable alternative to Linux.

instead of using windows and thinking "shit's gay, but it is what it is", I thought "shit's gay, and I'm sick of it and I'm not gonna put up with it anymore"

It has a terminal that works, a centralised package manager, a small system footprint and doesn't spy on you.
Plus you can make it look like however you want.

Check out /fglt/, they're more motivated than the average here to actively sell a distro to you.

Attached: 1530439918851.jpg (315x315, 35K)

I think you might have me interested just on the "doesn't slow down over time" aspect alone.

>>more privacy than any of the alternatives
>laughs in pufferfish

Was referring to macOS and windows, but yeah you're correct.

For a certain sort of person it's fun to learn and you get a better understanding of the computer and how it works. It has a gentle on-ramp for learning how to program because the command line is very useful and many dev environments work better on it. It's also much easier and simpler to automate things in linux.
You don't have to deal with Windows 10 bs.

There are plenty of downsides too, but you probably already know what they are mostly

It isn't.
/thread

No Telemetry, with exceptions.
I have read recently that telemetry can be stripped out of Win10 installers using NTLite. Though if it's preinstalled by an OEM you're SOL.

it's the equivalent of being rich, hate your parents and want to feel "different", so you ditch expensive stuff for "outcast stuff"

of course everyone running it usually dual-boot and have XX80ti cards and 600$ CPUs, at least 3 macbooks, the last mac, 3 iphones, but that's for home usage only, they use chink notebooks and xiaomi smartphones in public

To get in touch with my Indian roots

Exactly. I can barely make more than a simple calculator in C++ or Python, but love the control and customization Linux gives me over things.

*GNU/Linux

Mostly for the hardware support and ease of installation.
I hope that I can switch to a microkernel soon.

*Linux

I haven't seen a single advertisement for 1 single program in 10 years, and did almost no work for this to happen, that being ublock+umatrix
Also package managers, and something about easy configurations and a sane FS hierarchy

Solid UNIX foundation, just like Mac.
So efficient compared to Windows.

A functioning non pajeetware riddled package manager mostly. Linux is the only OS that "Just werks" for how I want my computer to run.

With Windows 10 it just didn't feel like MY computer anymore. Which sucks if you are on it so damn much

I recommend windows 10 without a license. Works great and is free.

Apple's macOS is just awful and apple id tracks you, they use the info you gave, to track where ever they can.

Pick Linux if you dont want to use free win10. Dont like microsoft. Web browsing is pretty much indentical experience on any mainstream OS.

try it, it's fun

Unix-like systems are pretty much the only sane OSs for programming.
Since I program a lot, both at work and during my free time, I need one. Now,
>mac os
Gay.
>bsds, etc.
Nice, but undersupported
>gahnoo linux
Hits the spot

idk

based

This

windows is just too slow for even normal usage. I always see people raging over the load times and constant freezing in silence lol. Doesn't happen when they use mac, but while mac is better than windows, a linux distro is also pretty good and most are very free of constrains. Just as an example Ubuntu which is supported by a company (to be free of price while being competent) still has a fuck ton of liberty when you learn to modify stuff you want. Like instead of the ubuntu default changing the looks for a clean gnome or kde look. This all while being as fast as mac os. And I'm not talking on slow hardware. Windows fucking lags behins by SSD with a 4th gen i7 of 45W @ 2.5GHzx4c8t, lol. You may feel a bit handicapped at first but you eventually can't come back to other. Also idk about mac but you can have a pretty neat workflow managing the windows on different virtual desktops. Also the way of writing-compiling-running software is way more ergonomic on a linux distro.
Without mentioning, updates on most distros don't make your pc upside down like w7 to w8 to w10, for example the most just werks from version to version without reinstalling has to be Debian stable, while arch, fedora and ubuntu are more up to date but still, updates break things less often than windows if ever. This is thanks that on the core the distro runs the same way while being optimized for further performance, while windows under the hood is probably a clusterfuck, people who have worked on microsoft have said this.

This
I know linux takes more setup and is overall not as convenient but I enjoy the hobby, windows is like buying a guitar and getting someone else to play it instead of learning yourself

You get to feel like a hackerman. If you had friends, you say to yourself, you would tell every one of them about your superior kernel choice.

I prefer to have control over what my computer is doing.
Windows 10 is intrusive and extremely creepy. It tries to update and do things without permission. Like, imagine if, one day, your shoes would tell you that you couldn't wear them to go outside right now, because they are updating. I find this shit so absolutely unbearable that I don't think I will ever go back to windows.

Unix without Mac shit. Also it's good for web development, that's why I use it mainly.
Can't be beat for servers.

Hey stallman what's up?

>>Somewhat technically minded.
>>Use Windows 10.
hmmm

This makes Jow Forums a board of music majors sperging about how everyone should know how to play a guitar or else they are [insert insult] and every other instrument is fundamentally useless and should be avoided like the plague.

Attached: 1459269025928.png (663x487, 158K)

It's a lot faster than Windows. Sure, there are other reasons why I like Linux, but the big problem that keeps me from using Windows is how fucking slow it is
It's always a laugh when a windowsfag tries to show off their new SSD and it's still slower than Ubuntu on an HDD, even for things which really should not be IO bound

You know how in Windows when you first install you need to sit through a hundred screens selecting different options and being cajoled into signing up for a Microsoft account then when you finally get through all that you then still need to go through every single option in the control panel in a vain attempt to not have your own property report every single thing you do report to the botnet and in order to do that you had to navigate a three or four different styles of UI while avoiding all the shitty games and advertisements that now come preinstalled on every regular copy of Windows and even after you've done all that there's still a bunch of useless shit that you aren't allowed to uninstall from your own computer?
Linux doesn't do that.

>periods/grammar in green text
Huh?

Here's an example, OP.

In Windows, I believe Ctrl+Super+S is a shortcut for a selection screenie. What if you want to change the key command? You can't.
In Linux, you can natively bind selection screenshot programs' commands to whatever keys you want, and you can even limit this to program context (e.g., this key shortcut only does this thing in this program if it happens to be running), something you can only do in Windows with AutoHotKey.

Another example.
In Linux, you have access to rsync, which is an amazing command line tool to sync directories across local drives or the web. It has cool features like "don't copy any files whose timestamps or other info hasn't changed" and stuff. Because using it entails console commands, you can bind a backup sync, which you know is working, to a key! Or you can schedule it precisely via cron (although that part is easier in Windows given Task Scheduler).

If you're technically-minded, you should love Linux because it gives you the sense that this is your system, structured in a (mostly) logical way, and totally mutable depending on your proficiency, grit, and imagination. Windows, on the other hand, gives you the sense of "eat shit and deal with what I want you to do!". Also programmen etc.

Attached: Nicole Waterson reaction 24.png (687x717, 516K)

Customization and better performance. On an old computer that you want to use, it's better go with a lightweight Linux distro like Lubuntu instead of using XP.
On a strong rig there is no reason to use Linux

fpbp

In the not so distant past it was easier to do practically any task related to my job under Linux or OS X, and OS X only comes on Macs (officially) which are expensive. Now my only reason for using Linux are out of paranoia and familiarity. Also I don't need Windows for anything and my current distro, Solus, is fast, stable and incredibly user friendly.

Windows as a user experience has gotten worse over time, now it's proper normie Stacy tier with Candy Crush tiles in the start menu, condescending messages, removing or hiding options in various ways. I had a Win 7 laptop that had an issue with update, would get stuck searching for updates and CPU would ramp up, tried many things to fix it, even getting free Windows 10 upgrade didn't fix it. Think about it, a major bug persisting across two versions, eventually tacked down a blog post with a fix. Felt cucked to death.
Now I have a ThinkPad with Xubuntu. Can theme it to look like anything I want, flat design, modern, skeumorphic, can install a lighter weight distribution, use window managers, whatever I want. CPU isn't randomly grinding because some Modules Installer is doing shit in the background. Can update packages cleanly when I want using a simple terminal alias command "updateme". Working on the command line gives power and flexibility, can chain multiple programs together using pipelines and heavier scripts can do all kinds of shit if needed. Lots of people writing open source utilities for all kinds of things. Really useful knowledge for a technical career, cyber security knowledge often heavily Linux biased.

It's just fucking comfy, in a way that Windows never will be.

>that filename
Please user, don't do this to yourself.

That's what I did when I got my hands on the Windows 10 release candidate. Decided that if they couldn't do it right after fucking up as hard as they did with Windows 8, they didn't deserve any place on my system anymore. Fuck the games, and fuck the assorted software I might miss. If your house's foundation is made of shit, it won't matter what you put into it, because it will always reek and fall apart.

Attached: 1500560878937.jpg (2048x1536, 299K)

i use linux because i find it much more interesting than fucking closed windows.

>customization
>no reason to use linux on a strong rig
lmao what a retard

This.
Whether you like it or not, using Linux after years of Windows gives you an idea of how an operating system is supposed to work, instead of the clusterfuck that is Windows.
The point of user experience in particular is very relevant: the main reason I switched to Gahnoo/Linux in the first place is that Windows had become way too terrible, it felt like an insult to my intelligence every time I used it.

I did dual boot for awhile. After seeing everything happen quicker on the same hardware I started using Windows less and less.

My affairs with Linux started coz I had no other choice, but nowdays I like it. I'm fond of some operating systems like Windows XP and 7, but Microsoft's policies are fucking awful, mainly their privacy ones, I didn't feel good using their shit anymore and had to choose another. Apple stuff is fucking overpriced, so I was left with Linux and BSD. Chose Linux and don't regret it, once you learn to deal with it you feel you have true power over your computer. I'm gonna play with BSD one day.

Attached: botnet.jpg (456x369, 136K)

>Why do people use Linux?
>Freedom.
>It's about 9000 times better then Windows 10 and 900 times better then Windows 7.
>Uptimes measured in years, not weeks.
>Access to source code means I can figure out most bugs and potentially fix them.
>Not a botnet.

When you tell someone about GNU/Linux it's like you gave the millions of dollars.

Windows? You mean my Jow Forums meme machine? I use Windows only because of Photoshop and Fruity Loops. And I use them for Jow Forums memes. So yeah, my Jow Forums meme machine.

For the general user: free software that works.
For the advanced user: free programming tools, documentation

>technically minded
>can't think of a reason to use linux

Linux is only good if you plan on scripting. If not, use a real OS.

>Nicole
Fuck you for making me read that whole post in her voice.

Attached: reaction489.jpg (658x523, 9K)

>using win 10
>technically minded
pick one, that's why

>Why do people use Linux?
For me it was the abomination that was Windows 8. I have one computer with a windows partition nowadays, that I rarely use.

I moved to Linux after Windows 8 and never really looked back. I don't play many PC games and I'm a programmer by trade so I don't really miss Windows at all. Linux does everything I need it to.

Having windows 7, the only reason I haven't upgraded to 10 was the "lol no you can't turn it off but I'll act like you did" telemetry option that also resets every update. The shit UI redesign from 7 doesn't help either. What else am I avoiding by staying relatively comfy in muh gaymen 7 home premium?

im going to have to switch over when they drop support for w7 so i figured i might as well learn it. also if i get stuck in a boot loop again i might kill myself.

>Get sold on linux
>Try 3 different distros
>2 of them crash before they can even install
>The only one that works overheats my laptop and does the same as windows but without my go to software.

I just don't see it. I'll give it one last chance on my main pc. But I frankly don't see why even bother. 90% of games need VM(s) to work and all of my software is windows/mac only.

>technically minded
>use Windows 10
pick one

What were the distros, and which software are you talking about?
Most games can actually be run through wine.

which distros user ? Also what hardware ?

Manjaro, antergos and mint.

Mint was the only one to work.
And I know you can run games with wine. But I might aswell just get the full experience from within windows.

The package manager is extremely convenient. Good for HDD where everything boots and loads up fast. On windows there was always a period after logging in where everything takes forever to load.

Literally just install Ubuntu/Lubuntu/Xubuntu, they are your best bet for compatibility

What laptop?

GNU plus Linux.

Kindof a minor thing, but having an OS that actually respects you. Booting up windows with text saying "Wait a minute, we're getting everything set up for you" gets patronizing.

>Manjaro, antergos
Why the fuck did you use arch distros if you're not a Linux poweruser? Ubuntu is a go-to newbie distro for a reason (and it's derivatives like Ubuntu flavours and Mint).
I'm using Xfce and KDE on my Laptop and tablet/laptop hybrid, they run fine and are perfectly stable. Same battery drain as they had on windows. Xfce even outlives w10 without compton.
And by "run fine" I mean they're literally as usable as they are with windows. Touchpads, external HDD, palm rejection, function keys, everything works.

What?

privacy over the internet is an illusionary fallacy.

>use linux, so my software is secure.
no need for the software, when the hardware can be compromised.
fossbytes.com/intel-processor-backdoor-management-engine/
techrepublic.com/article/is-the-intel-management-engine-a-backdoor/
popularresistance.org/new-intel-based-pcs-permanently-hackable/
israel21c.org/intel-announces-8th-gen-processors-developed-in-israel/
etc. etc. etc.

>use tor/proxy/vpn, but use faceberg/instashit/twatter/(take your're pic)
any bit of personal information you upload can be saved, correlated, and compromise privacy.

"they" ( to use the term, in similar reference to the royal "we").
"They" want you to use more technology. the more times you use it, the more information is uploaded, and the more "they" know about you.

once 5g goes live worldwide, shit's gonna get real fun.

>poweruser
cringe

what's a poweruser ?

>intel chips have backdoors
>intel chips have backdoors
>intel chips are permanently hackable
>intel chips will be developed in israel
One of these is not like the others.

>"they"
fucking hell

>>no need for the software, when the hardware can be compromised.
You're talking theoretical security while ignoring practical security.

It's much easier to attack insecure software than insecure hardware. Many of the hardware attacks require you to compromise the software first in order to use them - you have to get code running first, and then you can use the hardware vulnerability to escalate privilege or gain powerful persistence. Hardware exploits are cool and sexy and powerful, but they're also difficult to use, and a much greater risk for the organization using them.

Privacy nihilism because of hardware vulns is a bit like saying why bother with diet and exercise, even if you're good about that, you could still have a heart attack and die tomorrow. Well, yes, you could. That doesn't mean that diet and exercise don't improve your health, or that they aren't worthwhile protective measures that drastically decrease your risk. Stop thinking in all-or-nothing terms where you're either completely secure against everything everywhere, or you're secure against nothing. It isn't like that.

Attached: let me tell you why that's bullshit 2.png (467x346, 223K)

Arch niggers who like to edit configs, rice, etc. Basically someone who lives in his computer. Same as a windows power user.

free software puts the fun back in computing, honestly.

Plus there's no activation and telemetry bullshit.

Also, I'm running a relatively fancy Arch setup (LUKS on LVM, booting from BTRFS snapshots, Gnome with Wayland on a flashed Chromebook) and, aside from Arch breaking from updates every so often, it was basically a weekend to set up.

I don't like to rice, I just had certain things I wanted from my setup, specifically whole disk encryption and the capability to spin off a snapshot with a clean install and play with other window managers/desktop environments without crapping up my daily driver.

Gnome is reaching the point in quality where I might just want to use Fedora if I got a new laptop that I was using for work.

I can confirm the xiaomi part, but almost no Linux user will use an iPhone or a Mac.

1. Need Windows to run my Xbox

2. PC Games like Age of Empires: don't tell me you guys program all day and only play games on your Android

3. Windows is like the Ike Turner to my Tina Turner but the transition to Linux is going to cause bumps and bruises for a while too.

4. I tried playing with Linux for a good year but have relapsed to XP on my Inspiron and Win7 on my desktop... I must say that OS Installs on Linux were dumb easy and pleasant.

5. The Photoshop Addiction: Forced me to learn how to run pirated Photoshop on Linux. Worked fairly well but felt like a duct taped solution.

6. I think I found all the customization stuff a distraction. When upgrading to a new version, seems like I would always lose something in the process. Per the community folks in the IRC channels "Just start over and get rid of all that crust and gunk you have built up." Yeah, but I liked my wallpaper and desktop config.

7. IRC channels for support were nice to have for Linux.

8. Linux live discs were a godsend when I first encountered them. Always would help when fixing a crashed Windows system.

9. Those Ubuntu naming conventions gotta go. Preppy Pangolin, Autistic Allisaur, Uppity Unicorn

10. Every OS Sucks

>Be me
>Somewhat technically minded
>Use Windows XP
>Shit's gay, but it is what it is
>Dad start using linux at work on some computers because its not affected by windows virus.
>My Windows XP has blue screens of death sometimes.
>Tired of it, tell dad to fix it
>Dad installs ubuntu 9.10 and windows xp as dual boot
>Gives it back to me
>I am like, "uh, i heard Linux doesn't have games"
>He tells me that Linux its pretty good, that i wont have issues anymore with random restarts
>"oh and i heard that with something called wine you can run windows programs"
>tells me to try it and if i dont like it i can just let it boot with windows xp as it will boot with that one by default, and if i have some issue i can just use ubuntu until he can fix my computer
>I try ubuntu
>logitech mouse doesn't work
>Call dad
>tells me to buy some generic mouse
>I buy a new generic mouse anyway
>this one works
>well, everything works, sound card, ethernet, GT8200, and theres not random crashes
>ubuntu 10.04 comes, i install the new version
>logitech mouse now works, nice
>try wine
>not all games work, but most do, and now if the game crashes it wont take the whole system with it
>This single thing keeps me using Linux
>buy headset that uses an usb cable
>doesn't work
>JUST.jpg
>buy analog headset
>it works

I have 8 years of using Linux now, mostly Ubuntu, but also tried a lot of different linux distros, even used gentoo for one year. I've learned a lot, including how to fix my own computer and even programming in a few languages. can't say linux is perfect, but like everything it has it's upsides and downsides. But its getting better everyday.
WINE gets better compatibility everyday allowing to run windows software on linux as if it was native.
If you have the needed hardware and patience to set it up you can even do GPU Passthrough to run windows at the same time at near native speed.
And some software stores now support linux, like Steam and GOG.