Vim can work on 120 million line files that total 5 gigabytes

Vim can work on 120 million line files that total 5 gigabytes
Literally any other editor starts to fucking up with less than 1 million lines. Meanwhile I can run through all of my server logs like it's a fucking cakewalk

Can your editor do this?

Attached: emacs btfo.png (1368x1539, 236K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/m00natic/vlfi
scintilla.org/SciTE.html
jenson.in/demos/open_giant_files_in_browser.php
onlinehexeditor.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why would I use a text editor to look through server logs?

Also vim shits itself as soon as a line gets too long

fuck vim; for logs? cat & grep much?

Emacs works on petabytes. Of course, there aren't really any situations where that's practical, you're better off map reducing the file first for what you're interested in.

For quick analysis

Not as useful sometimes. We had millions of lines from my iptables after an attack. We didn't have any sort automated tool yet. So I had to do some manual preprocessing. Didn't take to long to look through that many lines. Less than an hour

How big are your lines? 22 million and still working well

Attached: Screenshot_20180905_005343.png (1368x786, 41K)

>total 5 gigabytes
>Vimfag thinks this is impressive, like a 3 in penis
Emacs works on terabyte files and up github.com/m00natic/vlfi

>do some manual preprocessing

Like what? Can't imagine it isn't something you can't do with awk,tr or sed.

Actually that's 2.5 million lines

I couldn't get emacs to copy more than 300k lines, so I couldn't even get to that point

>hurr durr all you gotta do is add a plugin
Thanks for letting me know I can do something that I could already do in vim natively

>I could already do in vim natively
Have you tried opening a 8 TB file in Vim?

Less is more lightweight for large files and just as good. Also fits better in a pipeline.
It weirds me out when I'm on windows and realize I have no fucking idea how to deal with large text files. I guess besides installing cygwin or something

>120 million line files that total 5 gigabytes
I don't write bloat.

>neovim
>fish

Is this post satire?

Attached: IMG-20180825-WA0001.jpg (1120x581, 84K)

I'll give you an example that I had to do. Typically the way I set my iptables. the log comes out like this
Apr 20 15:52:32 Server kernel: [IPTABLES OUT] IN= OUT=eth0 SRC=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx DST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx LEN=73 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=22431 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=42412 DPT=53 LEN=53
Apr 20 15:53:29 Server kernel: [IPTABLES IN] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx SRC=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx DST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=243 ID=54321 PROTO=UDP SPT=41985 DPT=53 LEN=40

I could probably have done this with awk/grep. But the way I did it was made them into two files, one for out, one for in. And I used Vim's powerful tools to convert it into something like
IP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx PROTO=UDP DPT=53

IP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx PROTO=UDP DPT=53

I don't need to do this that often, so I haven't made a script for it. But in vim, it's something like
:%g/IPTABLES OUT/d
gg Ctrl+v G /SRC (Enter) bd
:%s/DST.*PROTO/PROTO
:%s/SPT=\d*/d
:%s/LEN.*/d

It could be a little more optimized. But it works fast enough so I don't really need a script yet

Pretty colors, but vim is pretty cool desu. I only use it as a text editor though.
> code
> press [esc]
> use mouse, laptop mousepad, or arrow keys to navigate lines
> press [i] again

wait. no /d for the last two

vim is pretty good, I agree with OP on that.
It's not a religion though. You need Jesus, user. Put your eagerness and tendency towards blind allegiance to good use and join the priesthood.

vim fucks up for me when the file is in 1 line and the text is getting wrapped

:^)
:set nowrap

user I don't work with files that big

scintilla.org/SciTE.html

wow babby discovers editor with memory management.

There is no reason why 120million lines should ever be inside any file.

The file needs to be split once it reaches minimum 50k lines.

t. winbabby

You realize that it's not unheard of in some fields to work with files with text contents that are >1TB uncompressed? You can still work fine at that scale if you keep things simple, zgrep works pretty well. Your rule of thumb would result in exploding his relatively small file into 2400 files for no reason, what an improvement.

>Add any sort of autocomplete, style checking, auto reloading, etc and vim can't even do a million
Other editors can't fucking do it because they're not stripped down, and I use vim, just not when I have to work on any major projects that require that shit to even be productive.

I've never used Vim so I tested it today.I have a 2.5mil line 800MB file text file. It used 1GB ram in Vim. Is that default behavior or do these people have shitloads of ram?

ed

Go through vimtutor.

I can literally do it in a browser
jenson.in/demos/open_giant_files_in_browser.php
onlinehexeditor.com/

>I used Vim's powerful tools
You could do this with a sed one-liner

Too bad Vim doesn't let you edit compressed files like Emacs does. Fixing a file inside a zip without having to decompress and recompress is useful.

Not him but if I ever saw a 8 TB text file anywhere, I would kill the person who made it, the developer of the program that created it and whoever configured the server it was found on.

As in, actually murder them.

8 TB is nothing in big data. If you have an 8 TB drive just filled with data and unpartitioned, it's basically an 8 TB file (you just open /dev/sdx as a file), and it's going to be in some structured format. It probably won't be completely ASCII and you probably aren't going to use a text editor on it, but being able to do so in a pinch is handy. Emacs can work with binary files too, so...

Found the ReiserFS dev.

Typical linux user. Suck on a chode

Try out spacevim. That's how I have my editor looking like that. And it provides auto complete to a bunch of stuff

If you're at that point, you might as well make the python/perl script that will run through the file for you.
I do wonder how well it'll work if you try to delete the first few words of each line with evil mode. Probably not well

Yes, vim is great! If only it was usable by sane, self-respecting users from this century.

My software works for me, not the other way around.

Attached: Nicole Waterson reaction 30.png (682x678, 451K)

Only things I got from this thread is I should install emacs.

There is a very large file mode for emacs

Unless it's all other Linux stuff, in which case I'll masochistically eat shit nonstop because there's no superior alternative.

Attached: Nicole Waterson reaction 33.png (607x684, 378K)

That's nothing, one time I opened a 600 million line file in mousepad that was 25 gigabytes

Attached: 1403116732838.jpg (700x714, 34K)

>Also fits better in a pipeline.
no but more does

are you a GNOME dev?

for you

A-user, can I see your collection of N-Nicole's reactions?

Emacs kiddo

Why does your vim look so weird? It's supposed to run in a terminal

Attached: 1444360353316.jpg (300x265, 18K)

>serverlogs are a single file instead of multiple properly named files
it speaks worlds about how retarded the logging system is

Of course it can, since I also use Vim.

Does YOUR editor cost $80? I didn't think so.

Attached: sublime-icon.png (800x600, 74K)

i want to see them too

>he paid for software
LMAOO this actually happens?

nano

Um, no, sweetie. And it's properly graphical unlike that terminal escape code abortion

Attached: .png (1090x914, 139K)

>hackintosh
>plan9 editor

Attached: abordon.png (238x277, 78K)

IT WILL LOAD AND SAVE TERRIBLE LONG
MIDTIGHT_COMMANDER AND FAR_MANADGER CAN WORK WITH 25 gigabytes AND DONT HAVE KINE COUNT LIMITATION

I don't think you have the bandwidth.

Attached: Nicole Waterson reaction 72.png (899x644, 489K)

have you tried most?

bruh, I am the bandwidth

> Why settle for less?
heh but no i havent

i don't think so

It's my favourite pager
pros:
>sensible shortcuts
>can open multiple files
>can split screen
cons:
>non standard shortcuts