What's the point of hardware acceleration for video playback?

what's the point of hardware acceleration for video playback?

measured power consumption of my system in MPV with and without hwaccel (using NVDEC hw decoder on a GTX 1070 card)

> with hwaccel: 120 W
> without hwaccel: 120W

WTF?

Attached: 1451019366912.png (586x314, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/nvenc/v4.0/NVENC_AppNote.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No stuttering

that'a a plus, but i was expecting dedicated hardware to be more power efficient than a general purpose cpu

btw, without hwaccel cpu is at ~20% utilization (all 6 cores), with hwaccel cpu is at idle, but NVDEC hardware decoder is at ~15-30% util (according to nvidia-smi)

What kind of video are you playing back?
If it is just 1080p/h264 or less, probably nothing. If you're playing 4k/60/h265 then the GPU will probably handle it far easier than your CPU.
Also, HTPC.
Also also, there's still more bugs in hardware decoding support than software, so prefer software decoding unless you need hardware or you are producing videos and you want to check hardware support.

Are you talking about hwdec? It is useful if you are unable to decode the video through software means fast enough. It should improve resource usage, but most drivers force the same clocks for your GPU regardless of the settings you use in video players. My vega goes to around 1100MHz when playing video with the "balanced" and "turbo" power settings in the Radeon settings. Switching to "power saving" keeps the clocks at or below 200Mhz. CPU is also a factor. Its clocks and unparked cores and whatnot play a role.

i tested with a 4k/60/h264 mkv
i'm on a pretty old Xeon (Westmere 6 cores)

Why are you comparing vs nvdec? nvdec is shit. For me GPU power consumption with nvdec is 45% and with d3d11va - 25%, CPU usage was the same (measured with HWINFO64).

because nvdec is a dedicated hardware video decoder in nvidia's gpus

is d3d11va VA-API?

nvdec is just an API like any other hwdec (dxva, d3d11va, vaapi, vdpau) for nvidia PureVideo...

nvdec is the name for both a fixed hardware unit and an api

nvidia fixed hardware unit is called PureVideo and every api uses it, educate yourself. Only difference with nvdec is that it can use cuda cores for decoding if PureVideo doesn't support a codec, but nobody uses cuda cores for decoding AFAIK.

PureVideo is the marketing name. The real hw IP are called NVDEC and NVENC. Read nvidia docs to learn more.

if you want to be technically correct the actual name of the api is NVDECODE API

You just said it yourself - it's API. Do you even know what API means? You think nvidia integrated several dedicated hardware decoders into their GPU?

> You think nvidia integrated several dedicated hardware decoders into their GPU?

yes. do some googling if you don't believe me.

It's all on Wikipedia:
>NVDEC can offload video decoding to full fixed-function decoding hardware (Nvidia PureVideo), or (partially) decode via CUDA software

Now read about PureVideo on Wikipedia:
>The PureVideo SIP core needs to be supported by the device driver, which provides one or more interfaces such as NVDEC, VDPAU, VAAPI or DXVA

Now you can KYS, because you clearly can't even google.

You seem to he knowledgeable about this shit. Can you explain to me why NVENC has worse quality than CPU encoding for example? I mean in the end its just numbers, isnt it?

it depends on NVENC capabilites and they
improve it with every hardware generation
Read this developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/nvenc/v4.0/NVENC_AppNote.pdf

what gpu should I get purely for mpv on loonix? will rx 560 do for watching 1080p-720p content on 1440p display with all the cool things like FRCXXN (or how it was called) ?
igpu is out of question as It doesn't have video outputs that can drive 2x 1440p@60hz

>will rx 560 do
probably

Yeah, 560 should be okay. Might need to use
FSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1 instead of 16-0-4-1 (It's just a weaker filter)

>doesn't have outputs for dual 1440p@60
You mean the mobo doesn't have that? Because there are mobos that support it and igpus that have such output.

560 for 16-0-4-1 @ 1440p@60fps is definitely too weak, 30 fps max

Yea, I've a really shitty mobo. (it was supposed to be a replacement only for a month or two, but things happend and it stayed in my pc) Not gonna bother looking for a new one as both z97 and intel itself are as good as dead in $current_year, I guess I'll just go ryzen when zen2 is out.
it's a miracle that I got gpu-passtrough working on it

I'm also considering rx 580, but it's twice the price (570 is only $25 less in this piece of shit country)
Any ideas how good are cooling solutions on those? I'm willing to pay more if 580 will be more silent (more fans or stuff, idk). Also, I can't find a 560 with 2x DP out, why is that? Is daisychain a meme worth falling for? My monitors support it.
>inb4 just use HDMI
HDMI is trash, I'd rather go dual-link dvi if I had such ports.

ASUS Strix line is the top dog in terms of cooling, and it also has 2x DP

you don't use your cpu.

If the workload will be essentially the same on both, it stands to reason that the cooling will be calibrated for more workload and thus more quiet. And you could undervolt it, if you don't need every bit of performance, which can make a big difference in terms of noise.

>what's the point of hwdec
battery life on laptop

Source? I'm really interested in that point

it's settled then, gonna order a 580 today
thanks Jow Forumsuys

Do GPU settings do anything? Specifically power management?

Attached: mpv_gpu.png (1202x1178, 108K)

As long as the drivers aren't misbehaving there shoundb't be any need to specify power management

Ideally it would help with temps. My old x220 used to throttle the GPU when CPU temps got too high, so less load on the CPU actually made it possible for me to use higher quality upscaling/downscaling in mpv.

VLC > mpv
Jow Forums shovelware needs not apply

how to automatically show picture/logo when playing any audio file?
or how to always show the stats thing?

on my oldtop vdpau makes a YUUGE difference in that the cpu is used way less

Would you switch to Turing if new NVDEC supports NN based realtime motion interpolation?

based and redpilled