In your opinion, which one it's easier to configure and mantain?

In your opinion, which one it's easier to configure and mantain?

Attached: descarga.jpg (170x191, 8K)

Debian by far. Debian is literally baby’s first distro tier (doesn’t mean it’s bad)
Arch can break itself.

Windows 10

wtf is that

>In your opinion, which one it's easier to configure and mantain?
Arch.

Can someone explain the significant differences between distros? Is it just the package manager?

stop using arch, its a bad meme
use debian, pick stable, testing or sid

Attached: pacmanb.jpg (720x532, 67K)

I don't know why but i find pacman and AUR easier than apt repositories.

I can't choose between debian sid or arch. I need help, I can't sleep because of this.

Attached: 1535320010149.png (480x540, 415K)

parabola

sid is nice out of the box if you dont hit major problems (video drivers/firmware)
it breaks pretty hard sometimes (use apt-listbugs)

Gentoo easily

slackware
i've been using arch for nine years now. the only reason people say it breaks itself is because it will - if you mess with random config files that you don't know how to work, or end up deleting things you didn't realize you scripted into something.
i actually encourage people all the time to try and break their system, so that way they can fix it from the inside-out, getting to know their system better.

Can you share your experience with slackware? I’ve been considering giving it a try.

I did manage to break debian stable by installing gnome, then uninstalling it and a lot of apps it came bundled with, and running the auto-remove command.

in a nutshell, it has all the perks of gentoo with the added perk of it having the most support out of any distro, simply because the legacyfags that have been using it for around 20 years now are still working on the project. although i don't use it anymore, it was really comfy to use when combined with windowmaker, not to mention the fact that it's extremely resource-efficient.
interesting. i've personally never had any problems with stable releases of debian, even with the "muh outdated packages". my main problem with it is that it isn't really "exciting", if that makes any sense.
debian is like milk, arch is like club soda, slackware is like an egg cream, and gentoo is like vape juice.

i wanna fug that smug

Debian for configure.
Arch for maintain.
Manjaro for both

Yeah, I get what you mean with it not being exciting. I've been using it for a few months and I already feel like changing again.

my xorg.conf has NEVER broke with pacman

>Using arch but getting fucked up without X.org
Disbelief.jpg

hmm i wonder which one of those is STABLE

debian stable is shit though

Auto-remove will delete 80% of all your packages because you removed one package that had more then 5 dependencies. Apt is shit at keeping track of dependencies.

shit for a ricer desktop or other edge cases but great otherwise

I don't even care about rice but I fucking need to have software like kdenlive, gimp and krita up to date

wrong, you just need to unmark automatically installed packages with something like aptitude (or maybe synaptic) and then run autoremove
lots of packages are marked automatically installed by default... because they are

then ubuntu/fedora/whatever

or debian sid

So, apt is shit at keeping track of dependencies by itself. I remember running auto-remove once on my laptop and it broke everything. I tried to save it but I couldn't, I ended up pulling all the data by plugging the hdd out and sticking it into my Arch PC and then reinstalling Debian.

yes you need to tell apt which packages you want to keep how can it figure it out by itself?
it will never remove essential packages without a big fat warning
whats so superior about arch dependency management ?

The thing with Arch is that it doesn't come with ten thousands packages by default.

neither does debian unless you install task-desktop-* (its near the end of the install)

that and the repos, which may contain patched software that may differ between distros (including the kernel).

Debian is unable to break because it can't fucking do anything in the first place.

Debian is god tier stability, and as up to date as arch, or even more so, if you want it to be

do you want rolling release? Sid
do you want rolling release with some stability but late patches? Testing
do you want rock solid stability but freeze packages? Stable

if you want a good stable and rolling release distro try Opensuse Tumbleweed. The only problem is that you won't have too many packages like Debian.

Also if you support Debian, you support SJW in the tech world. If you find this problematic, do not support Debian and try Ubuntu or something else.

You are welcome.

>I don't know why
trizen

Attached: 1522813939173.jpg (210x210, 15K)

If you want it to be as up to date as Arch you get Arch-tier stability. Which isn't bad. The only issue I've ever had with Arch "breaking" was due to proprietary Nvidia drivers. It was fixed overnight, no big deal.

running sid & just upgraded to gnome-shell 3.30 the animations & compositing feel way smoother than before no joke running wayland btw

sid is a poor attempt at a rolling release, and arch as of 2018 is way more stable and maintanable than that crap, testing has no purpose other than its name, most of the time you update testing and it breaks cause a dependency is older version and you don't have the new one because it's only in sid. So you either mix it up in the repos or you fucked your system. Stable is super good for servers and any production environment in which you just need to get shit done and expect it to work for years. If you are new to linux go for ubuntu(but fuck amazon), kubuntu or mint, then switch to debian stable, then try arch and after that you are capable of choosing any distro that suit your needs. It's just a package manager and repos afterall.

Attached: bzip.png (550x500, 30K)

objectively debian
it's also objectively better

>ubuntu
>kubuntu
They're the same thing.

i bet dat archlet is still running x11 lmao

More like pacman messed up my Nvidia drivers.

i actually run fedora atm, left the basement for a full time job, don't really have time or need to rice anything. Plus ryzen2 and gtx10 gpu need the most recent kernel to function properly, fedora was the best choice.
kubuntu comes free of the amazon crap afaik, plus is kde and thus a different desktop ecperience for a new user. Also ubuntu and debian gnome are the same, mint is the same if you put it that way.

More like, nvidia messed up your nvidia drivers.

No Debian and Ubuntu are not the same, neither is Mint. And you can install any DE on Ubuntu.

arch is fine
I'm using arch past year on a modern desktop without issues.
recently replaced GNOME with KDE and it just works for past month, KDE didn't broke yet. (hopefully it won't)

gj leaving teh basement i've used linux nvidia for years and im happy with win10 gpu passthrough atm
i use intel igpu on the host side it just werks

>no u
switching logic for your argument's convenience. Kubuntu is as different to ubuntu as mint and debian, it's not sponsored and supported by amazon and canonical, with all the crap that comes with that while being fundamentally the same system. Debian is ofc the most different, still if you can switch and mix repos of any of them and it works means you are fundamentally very similar while keeping some differences. They are all debian derivates.

>Kubuntu is as different to ubuntu as mint and debian
The only difference is the DE and some software. That's it. Nothing significant changes between Ubuntu and Ubuntu+KDE.

/thread

Stable Linux is retarded. Why would you use old software?

TempleOS

Attached: os.png (1857x1316, 640K)

Arch unironically since Debian autistically complains about missing firmware even with the nonfree iso.
btw install Gentoo.

is there a canonical source for the templeos iso or is everything botnetted at this point?

every time