Are there any cheap laptops besides the Thinkchad that are Jow Forums approved?

Are there any cheap laptops besides the Thinkchad that are Jow Forums approved?

This feels Reddit tier question but I'd rather have the opinion of people that at least act like they know what they're talking about.

I'm going off to college soon and I'm going to need a laptop. Nothing fancy, doesn't need to play games, I just want to be able to run Autodesk relatively lag free.

Any advice?

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-t580-hero.png (725x515, 67K)

Don't get memed by Jow Forums

Buy a "modern" laptop with a 1080p screen and runs windows10 fine. Dual boot linux to cure your autism, make proper backups and use all normie programs possibly needed for school on windows as well as linux.

I dont know autodesk, is it cpu or gpu intensive? does it use openCL or cuda?

>Nothing fancy
>I just want to be able to run Autodesk relatively lag free
Are you retarded or something?

why are you against think pads they have great build quality and can do basically every normal task

>autodesk
user... That's pretty intensive software.

>I just want to be able to run Autodesk relatively lag free.
That doesn't say much. You could be making super simple cubes in it just to figure out the GUI and shortcuts or straight up designing entire cars.
These are applications that normally run on proper workstations, if you are doing anything more than even the most basic of things a cheapo laptop won't remotely cut it.

I just a Jew. I don't want to go over the top if I don't need to, just looking to be price effective.

>Dual boot linux to cure your autism
Single-boot linux to cure your retardation

recommend a Linux compatible laptop that isn't older than 1-2 years

I bought a cheap Asus laptop off Amazon two years ago for about $200. I only use it for word processing and emails. It's fast and reliable. It has shit memory, but you can always hook it up to an external hd.

MacBook Pro Retina

Fuck /gee/ - Consumerism
Buy a real laptop
Buy Prestigio SmartBook 133S

> I just want to be able to run Autodesk relatively lag free
Get at least 32GB of RAM, maybe even 64GB depending on your field.
For CPU you don't really have much options, look into the 6 core i9 mobile processors, they are about as good as you can get for consumer grade laptops, but if you are doing engineering and have a lot of CAD to look forward to you might want to upscale, go straight to business grade, and grab yourself a proper workstation. For GPU it really depends on what exactly you want to do. Read up on the technologies you are going to use both in your lectures and at the companies you might be considering, and pick accordingly.

Most important is definitely the RAM. When I did my embedded designs masters I had plans I couldn't even open on anything with less than 32GB, to actually work with them I was reliant on one of the very few proper work stations at my uni which was a huge pain in the dick.

I keep windooss on a hdd and mint on a m.2 ssd. Its really the best setup you have mint 99% of the time and wyyndeauxs for compatibility and storing shit I don't want on my mint ssd.

>i9 mobile
did anyone figure out how to cool it yet lol

Macbook build quality is fucking terrible.

any new laptop will be good as linux can run on anything. And in case something doesnt work, you'll find the solution to it faster than you would with a winblows system.

Windows isn't good for anything.

macfag here. once my mac dies i'll get a cheap chinkpad or something. dishing out 1k or a laptop gets boring after times.

The T480 can have dual batteries if that's important to you, has nvme and plenty of RAM to go with it

>mint
ok

MSI gamer laptops actually dont look like shit too much.
Linux support is mediocre.
Needed a cheap but powerful laptop with dedicated gpu so i can do machine learning stuff, so pretty much had to go with a gayymer one.

HP Elitebook/Zbook
Dell Latitude/Precision

Dell XPS it's the solution

Attached: dell_xps_15_4zu3.jpg (1400x1050, 578K)

thinkpads are pretty price effective. other brands upcharge a lot for brand name and looks and inane crap that isn't substantive to the computing experience