Java OS

I want to make an os in Java (or other JVM languages). Is it possible?

Attached: nextstep1.png (1024x768, 230K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaOS
sourceforge.net/p/jos/discussion/6947/thread/cf481b8a/?limit=25#e28e
botcompany.de:8443/1013826/raw
github.com/wfxpanisa/pythonix
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Err... not really. For writing an operating system you need direct access to the hardware, which the JVM obscures.

What you would be doing is writing a new JVM implementation that is also the kernel, and then everything else is written on top of this JVM.

The kernel itself has no chance in hell of being written in Java, at least not the underlying parts of it.

>I want to make an os in Java

Attached: xd face burning in a fire but instead of screaming in agony he laughs his pain away.png (552x543, 358K)

The os would work kinda like Inferno (runs as a guest in other operating systems)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaOS

I wanna make my own, is it practical?

There was java me os too. Apart from being a shit-ton of work and your project will likely to be memed, I think so.

Android is what again?

Linux. I want to revive inferno

Trash.

Then use limbo, why would you shit yourself with java

Limbo is dead and Inferno too. No one would use an os that has docs only on cat-v

Hahhahahhaha
Nice one OP

>"The system is based on a hardware architecture native microkernel. The Java virtual machine runs on top of the microkernel."

At least read the fucking thing.
It's not possible, I'm not sure how would you even boot without knowing the ISA

I WANT IT TO RUN IN A NORMAL JVM LIKE INFERNO!

Not sure how it would run in a normal JVM... Inferno had a custom VM, that handled most of the low level kernel stuff. It then exposed the syscalls and such to the programmer

Android is already a pure Java implementation of an OS.

inb4 mentioning the conspiracy theory that Android is built upon Linux. Get help.

*crack*
Listen kids, now *that* was good UI design. They don't make them like that anymore.
*Sips*

Attached: 1536095317731.jpg (738x477, 87K)

Microsoft was doing this between 2003-2010 with their singularity project. Just enough asm and C to get off the ground, a C++ HAL, then everything runs in a dotnet runtime.

It got canned of course, but I do wonder what would happen if Microsoft put some serious bucks into something like this using the far better tooling dotnet has today.

You could in effect run a virtual OS on the JVM but if you want a bare metal install you'll have to write the compiler assembler and linker to turn your java code into assembly instructions as opposed to JVM instructions

What is Solaris?

Attached: mpvshot0001.png (710x569, 717K)

Solaris was written in C and C++

lmao you think anyone will use your os?

Nah. Just asking, i want to use it myself

Android is LINUX with proprietary stuff from Google and others. Also, Android Java is a strange dialect that doesn't use the JVM...?

sourceforge.net/p/jos/discussion/6947/thread/cf481b8a/?limit=25#e28e
botcompany.de:8443/1013826/raw

Attached: jos.png (1366x768, 1.39M)

Nice!

Jerk Off System

>tfw it looks better than some linux distros

Attached: 1407091453842.jpg (762x668, 42K)

Microsoft did some experiments with using managed languages (Java/C#) for building an OS. Check out Microsoft Singularity. It turns out that it's a pretty awful idea in practice.

Yeah, it looks to be written using swing for the gui. I think Javafx is a much better choice.

>Is it possible?
Of course not! That'd be dumb!
Obviously the better option is to make an OS with python github.com/wfxpanisa/pythonix

Purely in Java?
As everyone else said, no.
The only way to accomplish that would be to make your own chipset that uses Java bytecode as its ISA, which is way more work than it's worth.
The other approach is what JavaOS and similar projects do, and make the kernel in something low level, and run the VM on top of that.

A similar, newer project is Nebulet, a microkernel that will run WebAssembly in Ring 0.

>that filename

Bump

check out JNode
It's a OS written in Java.