When will it be superseded?

When will it be superseded?

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 394K)

Never. They tried with Sass, but that turned out to be ass.

>when it needs to be
Not anytime soon

What's wrong with CSS?

It wasn't created with the modern web in mind

flex and styled components in react made css good

>CSS Preprocessor superseding CSS

you have no idea what Sass even is, dont you?

And what's it missing that the modern web so desperately needs?

>works
>won't be deprecated
>people can learn it knowing it'll always be useful
>fundamental of web
>literally copy/paste and still works (or doesn't break shit)
It's not broken, so stop trying to fix it. The CSS pre-processor are gay as shit too.

>what is CSS Grid

stop hardcoding width/height and sizes in pixels, dumbass

Wow, you are dumb. Leave Jow Forums

modern web shouldnt exist

why

>implying there are technical impossibilities for Sass to become successor of CSS
Explain or end yourself

bro, its a preprocessor
it makes css easier to write.
thats about it.
Its like jquery but you need to compile it to get the vanilla css.
how is that a replacement?

Only real issue is that people are still using old browsers that doesn't support newer css features so you have to do all sorts of stupid shit just to make sure that your website doesn't look like shit on those browsers.

Actually grid made all css frameworks obsolete. Scss if you want to do anything else

Not him, but what's stopping browsers from supporting SASS files as an alternative to CSS? Besides cost/benefit, I mean technically.

We should kick people with old browsers off the internet.

Because this is why CSS fails on the modern web.

this is like saying C can't supersede assembly because C compiles into assembly, even though (with the exception of a few specific fields) most people moved onto programming in C

So the site works with varying resolutions

๐“‚ธ๐“‚ธ๐“‚ธ๐“‚ธ

you're a fucking piece of shit faggot

The modern web is absolute fucking cancer kys

>superseeded

Attached: 1522411722617s.jpg (250x208, 5K)

Im really into this programming language called Elm, thats like Haskell syntax but it compiles to JavaSciprt. In Elm theres a package called Elm-UI, that is an original ui language that compiles to css and html.

So as it is, CSS is superseded, just not in any widespread way.

Styled components are awesome.

postcss-preset-env is all you need to make CSS a delight again.

Attached: 1475067871884.png (1920x1080, 872K)

css is super comfy once you stop being an ultra retard, and learn how the browser applies the styles

what are zoom keys

Constants would be awesome

they can already be used, idiot

>what is em
>what are vh, vw, vmin, vman
>what are media queries
people that diss css are fucking brainlets.

Becauze (((((flexibility)))))

the web wasn't created to handle nothing more than text and a few images. The problem goes deeper, you should have to reconstruct internet as a whole.

CSS pre-processors are basically the answer to this.

Other than JS there's Dart which has like ughhhh zero adoption because if you want a statically typed client-side language you have TypeScript.

In pure css? How?

Never, once you try the native styling techniques of other platforms you will quickly realize that CSS is the most powerful, most customizable and even easy to use styling- and layout system there is.

>We should kick people with old browsers off the internet.

Attached: zoomer coke.png (346x326, 66K)

Attached: 30+yo Boomer.png (380x349, 70K)

lmao what

sass/scss/stylus all compile down to normal .css, they're tools to make it easier to create complex .css due to css' limitations.

This. Did Jow Forums ever give it a thought? I think there are two main problems:
- web formats were supposed to be simple text and images but evolved into the abominations we see today
- browsers were supposed to open just these simple formats but started supporting a few more formats in ad-hoc manner. Why does my browser implement a pdf reader when I have a pdf reader on my desktop?

I think the browsers should be separated from handling of the data they get and only handle the connection. The data should be passed to appropriate programs as OS deems it right. Formats in the web wouldn't be restricted anymore. You could have simple document formats for plain text websites and bytecode programs (interpreted in a sandboxed environment) when you want it and it wouldn't depend on the browser itself. You would just need to have the appropriate program on your computer. The problems are:
- you would need to nest the programs in the browser for it to be comfortable and for that you would need appropriate API (wouldn't Wayland be able to handle it? Could X do it? How about Windows?)
- most content on the web is dynamically loaded so you can't just load it once and pass to a program. However, the program handling dynamical content would have to be aware of it anyway so the only thing lacking is a way for that program to call the nesting browser.

I think it boils down to the lack of composability of GUI programs.

http is not enough for the modern internet. We need something more robust and able to handle different kind of data. The only problem is that it's impossible to do it

I think itโ€™s technically better to read css by itself as its more hard coded nature would be more easy going on the browser

Is it? HTTP can actually handle different kinds of data so I don't see your point yet. You ask for a file and you get the file, doesn't matter what kind of data is contained.

http wasn't mean to handle nothing more than text and now we are sending live videos of Tyrone destroying Stacy around the globe. We need something more robust

Everything is text you fucking moron

>In computer science, robustness is the ability of a computer system to cope with errors during execution and cope with erroneous input.
So where does HTTP fail? HTTP is pretty much TCP with session and concept of files instead of sending arbitrary data. But I suppose it is weird to use HTTP for streaming data.

Everything is binary data you flaming faggot.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Lmao, you're all retarded. Everything compiles down to voltage levels, amirite? Are you all fucking retarded or something?
This is the only user with functioning neurons in this thread.

That makes sense, the language might also have vulnerabilities that haven't been exploited because browsers can't run the language. My point is more that the language is syntactically able to do what css does, browsers could presumably find a way to optimize their parsers (or natively just compile the files and then parse the css) if the cost was worth the benefit.