Serious question. What is the point of installing linux. What advantage does it have over windows or mac?

Serious question. What is the point of installing linux. What advantage does it have over windows or mac?

Attached: tmh_52.webm (640x640, 1.36M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sxXs0Yy5-0Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

mac and linux have build-in unix terminal

It's a very low dependency, low maintenance, stable kernel. This wasn't always so but nowadays you can be assured that any headless server you base on Linux will run reliably for years with minimal maintenance.

As a desktop OS?
>package manager
>runs great on toasters
>superior shells
>really easy to set up programming environments
>very customizable
>can be free as in freedom
It certainly isn't for everybody, but for some it's a great alternative to Windows or Mac.

I don't have a cuckoldry fetish.

Attached: 1374577328217.png (554x439, 224K)

cuz i'm big boy now...dont need no babysitter

Serious question. What is the point of buying windows. What advantages does it have over Linux? (implying that Linux does everything I'd do on windows)

Full control over the OS right down to the kernel
Stability, there's a reason it's the go-to OS for servers
No bloatware
Choice, don't like the DE install a different one
Will run on anything that can be vaguely referred to as a computer
Very few viruses
A useful command line interface
SSH out of the box
Python, ruby, Perl, c compiler and more out of the box
The root account has a working password
Doesn't dial home
Plenty of networking tools out of the box
Will automatically make you best friends with RMS

autism

Attached: CopyQ.yJ7364.png (1104x296, 47K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Every single key I press isn't sent to Microsoft for analysis.
Instead it's sent to Beijing as I use Deepin

There's no reason to use Windows if Linux does everything you need. I would personally also love to use Linux but it's a shame most games don't run on it. Maybe I'll switch over once I lose my virginity :^)

I hate living on a world where i have to say it, but the main advantage of linux is the fact it is the only up to date regular IBM PC OS.
Windows decided to be a "you're the product" kind of deal, but a "you pay to be a product" to make shit worse, android is the one that inspired windows to go this path and Mac OS runs on just a subset of really shitty hardware officially, needing all sorts of black magic to get it running on non-signed hardware.
It wins by elimination.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as NT, is in fact, Windows/NT, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Windows plus NT. NT is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another component of a fully functioning Windows system made useful by the ntdll library, Explorer and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by Microsoft. Many computer users run a modified version of the NT system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NT which is widely used today is often called "Windows", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NT system, developed by Microsoft Corporation. There really is an NT, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. NT is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. NT is normally used in combination with the Windows operating system: the whole system is basically Windows with NT added, or Windows/NT. All the so-called "NT" distributions are really distributions of Windows/NT.

A woman like this will never smile at me

No one in the entire world can break into your hard drive when it is encrypted with LUKS. Microsoft, Apple, Google, they are giving you pretend locks to deter pretend thieves. Why do you trust them? Because they have a picture of a lock? A nice flat UI drawing of a lock? The real thieves are large, government financed hacking teams. China, Russia, and even the USA are very interested in stealing your intellectual property and regulating what information you are allowed to have on your computer. FREEDOM demands encryption, and all other operating systems are jokes with backdoors. Encryption is not something for criminals with something to hide use- it is for journalists, politicians, and every citizen that value’s their property rights. Kick my door down, take my equipment to your lab, detain me as long as you want, but without my consent there is nothing you can do. You can’t get in! I mean it! I have no supervisor you can call. No tech support team can help you. The Linux encryption is audited and bulletproof. Even the NSA, the greatest password crackers in the world, can’t crack it open. They can try to record my password, they can try to send me an email with a virus attachment, but they can not break the encryption. If I don’t mess up, no one in the entire world can get in.

It is easier to use.

who is this qt

Attached: 8d7e736602bd2c8ea0ff444093c28d36ed3b18c2.jpg (320x317, 17K)

Have you tried Proton with Steam?

>really easy to set up programming environments

Can you elaborate on this? What is a "programming environment" to you? Vim + a console to compile and run stuff?

Attached: 1198414026093.jpg (800x600, 93K)

Windows slows down over time. Keep your computer running for a couple of weeks, even put it to sleep at night. When you reboot you'll find applications are launching quicker, reacting faster and everything is generally snappier.
Linux doesn't have this problem. You can have it run for months without any performance degradation. This makes it ideal for servers and other devices that you want to keep running for long periods of time.

At actually works

Control. Ever tried to stop windows 10 from installing a broken gpu driver in zhe background which makes your wcreen go black? Yeah right you need to unplug the lan cable and go from there.

i think i need to take care of something, back soon.

Attached: tfwngf.png (1080x675, 310K)

>What is a "programming environment" to you? Vim + a console to compile and run stuff?
That's enough to start, but IDEs are fine too. You also might want a console to do stuff like pip install packages, read/grep log files, or switch virtualenvs or whatever. You also want access to anything the program needs, like databases or whatever. If you have a remote environment involved you probably want some ssh sessions which is more terminals open.

It's funny, when developing you don't spend a lot of time in the terminal really, but you really miss it when it's gone or garbage (eg. Windows)

you don't have to pay for it

server functions are really good.
hardware support, not so good.
and desktop experience is just meh, but everyone knows that

Package manager.
OSX has brew, but we all not Apple is gay anyways so why bother pay the premium to get aids.

I like the smug sense of superiority when I see some tool using his PC or Mac, then I scoff and explain with a cheeky smile how he's a slave to the Machine before going home to check on my daily anime downloads

It feels like I've seen this thread before
wtf

Attached: 1495609413481.png (706x412, 278K)

Never forget: Linux is free....
... if your time is worthless.

same goes for windows these days

I'm also curious why I would install Windows over Linux if I don't play video games that much?

I value my time.

Windows wastes it.

Attached: 1533452719841.jpg (1024x682, 129K)

It does what you tell it to instead of being retarded and confused at things, also it’s quicker and easier to troubleshoot.

I fucking hate this so much.

Why not both?

Attached: Screenshot (38).png (1920x1080, 130K)

Compared to MacOS, the ui is less polished but the package management is more complete and you get more control. Both are viable options.

Windows is a fucking joke.

Pederasts get increased privacy.

That's not Linux, it's a hacky GNU userland on top of a proprietary dumpster fire of a system

It's literally one command to spin up a local OpenShift cluster on a fresh install of Fedora.

WSL is pretty crap. I mostly use it as a Cygwin replacement.

Who's this girl

If it does everything you want, nothing.
The biggest issue is and has always been that most professional software, or global standard software, is not available on Linux. That's it.

Because once you learn the command prompt its impossible not to use.

And windows is free if you don't value your freedom.

no spying. More secure. More customizable. Faster, leaner, mine. I control the os, not the other way around.

> macOS
Not much. You can get to a point with linux where you have only free software installed on the system, if that's important.

> Windows
I would argue Windows is almost unusable for developers out of the box, unlike Linux + GNU / macOS. You have to fight the system at every corner. It looks absolutely hideous too.

Taylor Hill
She is a Victoria Secrets model, so lots of good pics online.

Installed it on my desktop for web development, same reason I installed it on my laptop.

I still prefer W7.

If you're developing software, doing so on Windows is painful. If none of the Apple hardware options suit your needs or price range, then a PC with Linux might be better.

youtu.be/sxXs0Yy5-0Y
>implying