I really wanted to give desktop Linux a chance. Every distro I've tried has had the same annoying problems

I really wanted to give desktop Linux a chance. Every distro I've tried has had the same annoying problems.
>No vsync
>Terrible multi display support
>Scroll wheel skips every few lines and doesn't scroll faster when you turn the wheel faster
>Doesn't remember where windows were closed so it opens the same program in a different place every time
>Bonus: no way for a VPN client to change the DNS resolver when connected to a VPN, making it useless
What is so complicated about these simple things that it just can't be done on Linux?

Attached: Windows_Vs_Mac_Vs_Linux_5[1].jpg (600x559, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsSoundCards
github.com/Wind4/vlmcsd
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=237126
youtube.com/watch?v=TZkjO1Zunho
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Out of curiosity, what GPU do you have?

>actually falling for the linux meme
time to come back home to Windows 10. look into privacy tools like ShutUp10 that disable most of the bloat and spyware.

What hardware are you running? What distros did you try?

An old Nvidia GTX 670. Works just fine on Windows and Mac OS.

That's another thing, it's not like I'm running obscure or bleeding edge hardware.

I run 10 Enterprise with an open source KMS emulator running on my Linux server. You can turn most of the annoying shit off in Enterprise.

Never made the switch because I still have to use Windows for other things. NTFS performance is garbage in Linux even with big_writes, and I don't really want to maintain two copies of my working data which is in the realm of 500GB.

I have a Haswell i7 with an Nvidia GTX 670. I've tried several Ubuntus, Mint, Fedora, and I've even taken the time to compile KDE Plasma on Gentoo. Basically the same set of problems on every distro.

>Linux
>Start working
lmao

I can't help you with the VPN thing because I don't use one, but all the other things you've listed were never an issue for me. I've been on opensuse, KDE neon and kubuntu among others. My vega works out of the box, but back when I was using a GTX 780 I had to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers and use their Vsync (it is rather easy to set up). What DEs did you try anyway?

linux mint
the only one that I've seen that does V-Sync out of the box
I mean holy shit how hard is it to force your display server to open as admin so it actually saves settings? to actually save xorg.conf? not hard apparently because the mint crew managed it.

Gnome, XFCE, KDE Plasma. They all had terrible tearing issues

..Is that actually implying Linux works right out of the box?

Attached: images.jpg (275x183, 9K)

Assuming the xorg binary isn't compiled to ignore xorg.conf

>Bonus: no way for a VPN client to change the DNS resolver when connected to a VPN, making it useless
What is resolvconf ?

I tried that. I couldn't get it to work. When I asked on IRC I people just asked me why I want DNS resolution over the VPN.

A Linux laptop as in pic? Obviously.

I've never seen one that was. now I haven't used every linux distro with every combination of software but I think that would be rare.
and I pity the fool that gets a distro that has it that way

Just because you didn't managed to get it working does not mean there's no way of doing it. Never had a problem with it. What distro and VPN software ?

OpenVPN on Fedora, Ubuntu or Mint.

All of that can be done, it's just that you have to have a weekend or two free to work on it.

same here (except for the open source KMS emulator, I'm not autistic so I just use Microsoft Toolkit), but most of the options are buried in the registry, task scheduler, and group policies.

>implying linux and windows isnt the same
>implying mac needs to be configured after buying
>le trim bugbeard xD
Gay and lame

Attached: image(1).png (370x375, 207K)

I think openresolv is the DNS manager used on those distros. I ditched openVPN a long time ago but I indeed remember you had to call your resolvconf everytime your switching your VPN on

Just use ExpressVPN

>I tried using screwdrivers but I didn't know how and didn't bother to learn so I went back to using hammers
How many more threads like this do we need?

Attached: 1532125885959.jpg (640x789, 47K)

Call autism if you want. I'm just paranoid about cracks in general.

It's for work. I unfortunately don't have any control over which VPN to use.

>muh you just didn't try hard enough meme
Fuck you I've been trying off and on for longer than you've been walking.

im in the same boat as op
i have dabbled with every ubuntu version since 12 plus fedora mint and others

every fucking one
-audio does not work or barely works on my soundcards and i have to fix something every reboot unless i want to use shit integrated HD audio
-screen tearing, even with new amd drivers and things like enabling vertical blank sync in the compositor tweaks other apps like browsers and video players still have their own tearing issues
-mouse scroll is fucking everywhere some programs it works normally other are either to slow too fast or just shitty tried various tweaks shit over the years none work in everything system wide oh and forget mice with more than 3 buttons

I like linux and i want to use it as a daily driver but i just cannot deal with all of the seemingly basic shit in windows like scrolling and vsync not working.

Attached: k9V2yGsaQ5AIpQSgdi6r1L966tacHehWDNhNegeDeN8.jpg (640x627, 86K)

use GNOME/desktop all is working fine on the foot

Attached: gnomestone.jpg (500x375, 151K)

Not in my experience.

let me guess, jewvidiafags?
the proprietary blob can be a bitch

Attached: 1536019488401.jpg (600x1152, 147K)

HD-6870/R9-280/RX-480

>open source KMS emulator,
do you mean kernel modesetting?

You either need to enable vsync in your drivers. Also consider disabling compositing.
However it's worth noting that nvidia sucks and has no interest in providing good quality drivers for linux. I feel bad that you got tricked into buying their shitty overpriced cards.

>audio does not work or barely works on my soundcards
Maybe you should consider asking the vendor to fix their broken hardware/drivers, and if they don't, then use another vendor.
>mouse scroll is fucking everywhere some programs it works normally other are either to slow too fast
Really not sure what you mean by this. If you use any Qt/GTK program then they will behave mostly the same. If you are using some strange programs with odd UI then of course the mouse wheel is going to function differently.

multi display works just fine with kubuntu, no drivers or anything

the only sound devices that work on linux 100% of the time that are not USB DAC's are realtek garbage based
you find me a vendor with analog 5.1 out with 100% working drivers for linux and windows and i will buy it on the spot.
inb4 some retarded HDMI out to receiver nonsense

not your tech support
but I'll give you an advise: just use windows

Key Management Service.

Kubuntu was the worst for me. X kept crashing, that's why I moved to Mint KDE, but now I'm fucked because Mint stopped KDE

wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsSoundCards
I agree driver support can be spotty but if you can't find anything that works then you have two options. Complain to the vendor or fix the drivers yourself.

>open source KMS emulator running on my Linux server
Tell me more please.

github.com/Wind4/vlmcsd

>>implying linux and windows isnt the same
Are you stupid or you're just a nigger?

Attached: 1534252769981.png (1057x717, 355K)

>Mac
>Install more RAM
How old is that image

VPN is resolvable using a reliable one not a shitty one, thus you need to make sure its properly configured and your account that's connected to the VPN is correct. Also the bridge you're connecting to has to be linux compatible otherwise you'll end up getting stuck without proper DNS. Who ever you're using for a VPN make sure is not a shitty one.

It works on Windows and Mac out of the box.

the trick to getting linux support is to post your problem in a support forum, saying "(x)... can't be done under linux, but it's easy under windows."

a thousand angry spergs will try to correct you by answering your query.

I've never tried that approach. I always just ask and get told that I chose the wrong distro, or to RTFM, or asked why I would want to do the very common simple thing that I want to do

Jesus, you must be old.
Like, older than computers have been around old. You’re like a boomer’s boomer.

It sounds like you forgot to install a driver. You have two options - the open source one and the proprietary one. Supposedly the latter works better, but I've seen certain winehq pages say to use open source over proprietary, and the open source one is, well, open source. Either way, try one of them and your problems will be solved.

Stop buying Nvidia and using shitty DEs.

>he can't figure out vsync
>he can't customize his GUI for multiple displays with tweak tools, dconf editor, etc.
>He can't adjust his mouse wheel scroll speed with xinput
>He can't figure out how to tweak window manager to his liking after "trying every distro"
>literally solved the issue in one search, on the first web page result - oh look, built in natively to linux mint, right in the fucking settings.
>Bonus: also found straightforward solution in the top search result with step by step instructions for any distro.
>forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=237126
It's not Linux's fault that you're fucking retarded, user

>exclusively closed source driver GPU on an exclusively open source OS
>"Its not like I'm running obscure hardware.
Goddamn you're a faggot.

>forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=237126
>Some apps "remember" the last window size & position, most don't. Well-written apps should, it's NOT up to MATE to do that.
>If you absolutely want your desktop apps restored exactly as you had them before, use wmctrl or xdotool to set app windows to any size/position. You'd have to write a script that searches for windows by name and resizes/repositions them.
Jesus what a clusterfuck. This is just something that works out of the box in Windows and Mac. Why do people subject themselves to this?

What's the difference?
youtube.com/watch?v=TZkjO1Zunho

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-08 21-45-50.png (1231x645, 438K)

>No vsync
dumb and wrong
>Terrible multi display support
wm dependent, try another. not as good as windows though due to retarded limitations of X, wayland should fix
>Scroll wheel skips every few lines and doesn't scroll faster when you turn the wheel faster
lmao what
>Doesn't remember where windows were closed so it opens the same program in a different place every time
wm dependent. im starting to think you fell for the xfce meme

>Ctrl F "nvidia"
>closes thread
But yeah, blame the free OS for not paying for shit proprietary drivers

>Be Windows
>Have different GUI, window decorations, theme, spacing, dividers, color schemes, etc in virtually every single fucking CORE OS APPLICATION
>Still have faggots like OP who think you're not a clusterfuck
lol

>it didn't work because you chose the wrong thing
Thanks, that's very helpful. I thought this was supposed to be the land of choices

>I want coke
>choose pepsi
wtf why is this taste like pepsi, I thought this was the land of free choices?

well, of course, it is the land of choices. clearly the choice you picked didn't work for you. not every piece of software available on linux is written exactly the same. some are better than others.

do you care to mention what desktop environment(s) you used?

>Have different GUI, window decorations, theme, spacing, dividers, color schemes, etc in virtually every single fucking CORE OS APPLICATION
I'll give you that in earlier version of Windows 10. It wasn't as bad as every Linux GUI being built on a different framework. At least it can remember where every window was without needing to write a script for every application.

Tried KDE Plasma, Gnome, Mate, and XFCE. They were all like time traveling back to the 90s.

I just want cola and don't expect the brown liquid to taste like sprite

>press Window key + X
>right click system tray icon
>right click app icon on taskbar
>None of these look the same

>Open settings app. Open submenu.
>Open Windows Store app. Open submenu.
>Back buttons are in different locations.

>Open User account settings.
>Can change user privilege in Win 10 settings.
>Can change user password, but need control panel.
>Try to add user but add user option only available via managment console window, and plugin for account management to management console only available on Windows 10 Pro
>Have to use cmd as admin and type "net user Username /add" to add user, then use PC settings to make them an admin, then use control panel to give them a password.

Fuck off.

Linux doesn't have scrollwheel acceleration period. Only specific programs do, like Firefox.

>press Window key + X
>right click system tray icon
>right click app icon on taskbar
>None of these look the same
Why do they have to?

>Open settings app. Open submenu.
>Open Windows Store app. Open submenu.
>Back buttons are in different locations.
No one uses the Windows store or any of the Modern apps anyways

>Open User account settings.
>Can change user privilege in Win 10 settings.
>Can change user password, but need control panel.
>Try to add user but add user option only available via managment console window, and plugin for account management to management console only available on Windows 10 Pro
>Have to use cmd as admin and type "net user Username /add" to add user, then use PC settings to make them an admin, then use control panel to give them a password.
Use compmgmt.msc or powershell to manage local users. Old control panel and mmc is still there and 100% functional.

WORKS
ON
MY
MACHINE

>xinput list
>xinput setprop
ok
>different GUI programs looking different is too hard and too fragmented.
>One gui with complete utter lack of any consistency is A-OK.
This is your brain on proprietary software.

>compmgmt.msc doesn't have plugin for managing users on Windows 10 Home
>"Use compmgmt.msc"
Jesus christ this thread is cancer.

>different GUI programs looking different is too hard and too fragmented.
>One gui with complete utter lack of any consistency is A-OK.
I don't really care about consistency in the colors on different menus. I don't even care how every open source developer has to be a snowflake and do their own thing. I just shouldn't have to write a shell script for every single window just to get it to open in the same place every time.

>using home and complaining that the nicer management tools don't work

What did you expect, this is a thinly-veiled tech support begging thread

If your window manager doesn't support that then yes, you literally should have to do that. Not every window manager is going to support every feature. Use a different one or write the shell script and commit your changes upstream.

I think Linux actually handles the scrollwheel a lot better because it applies the scroll to the window being moused over.
So, if you have a browser and another window open (text editor, video player, etc.) you can scroll the browser without having to click on it and switch focus. It's handy being able to scroll anything on demand.

On windows I constantly end up accidentally raising or lowering my VLC volume because of this shit, it's super annoying after you get used to it and don't have it.

Not a problem on win 10

>If your window manager doesn't support that
I was unable to find one that does.

>I think Linux actually handles the scrollwheel a lot better
On every DE I tried, it was like only every 5th click when rotating the scroll wheel registered and it got worse the faster I spun the wheel

There are a bunch. Look more. Try KDE.
If you want me to give you a suggestion, I personally use a tiling WM, so I have no need for that feature.

>Try KDE
KDE only has options to open new windows in the corners or right in the middle. No way to remember the previous placement without a CS degree. I really like KDE and I thoroughly researched this.

>need a CS degree to search on kde forums
I just found the answer after searching for 20 seconds. Come on man this is basic shit. Come back when you actually have a real problem.

You don't know what scrollwheel acceleration is. It's when the faster you spin the scroll wheel the more pages it passes. It's not simply increasing the amount each notch of the wheel scrolls.

On Windows XP I used a program that allowed me to scroll on windows that were hovered over but not focused. It's call xMouse Button Control.

Whoa, did Win10 change it to work that way? Good for them then. With that, virtual desktops, and the linux emulation layer it's become pretty based in some ways. Too bad about the garbage though, still not gonna leave comfy Win7 until I'm forced to

neat I'll check it out. I remember looking for something like that before but it actually changed focus entirely on mouseover which was shit

On Linux I use bspwm and have it set so focus follows pointer. This works great for me since I also have 10 workspaces activated and rarely have more than two windows open on a single workspace.

The garbage that nvidia shits out doesn't have proper linux drivers.

All those problems are Xorg's fault. Xorg is a 40-year old monstrocity that's unsuited to modern PCs and very unsafe.
Wayland fixes some of those problems (vsync and multi-monitor setups) but the rest are still present because Wayland devs are assholes.
The DNS thing can be solved with a script.

So wait 10 years for Wayland to become common.