Is containerization just a meme? when will it die?

is containerization just a meme? when will it die?

Attached: docker.png (1024x536, 221K)

i start using Docker on my Home server and must say its awesome.

I licked a negro once

I like how fast it is compared to virtualization. Only real tricky thing usually is dealing with setup every time, but if you wanted, you can create an image of your setup container

It's awesome for testing, and just getting something up and running without having to go into something like AWS, or starting up a VM slowly

Docker is the best thing that happen to CI.

Why would you not like containers? Like what is actually wrong with you?

If you actually had a job that required testing in temporary enivornments before deployment, you would find this useful.

Are you retarded by any chance? Docker's one of the few things that is actually useful.

bloat and insecure
all dependencies are out of date and never get updates

How do I get into docker? Is it really as simple as listing your dependencies and mapping ports? Is that all to it?

It's pretty much that, then you can likely do most of the things to set it up that you would your own machines

This. We go through heaps of build a week and every time we need a clean environment. We have a docker setup that creates a new container everytime there's a new build, so it has really streamlined the testing process.

Boomer VM/Physical servers
>something goes wrong
>ping/rdp/ssh to server
>not responding
>have to physically go to host/vm to see the error
>search the error in internet
>take 8 hours of troubleshooting
>now have to reinstall the server
>painstakingly transferring all the configs
>turn it on and pray that system works again

Chad Docker/Kubernetes
>something goes wrong
>DELET IT LMAO
>type a couple of codes
>system works again within a minute

Chad VM/Physical servers
>something goes wrong
>ping/rdp/ssh to server
>not responding
>use VM VNC / IPMI
>take 10 minutes of troubleshooting
>everything works again

Virgin Docker/Kubernetes
>something goes wrong
>DELET IT LMAO
>type a couple of codes
>system works again within a minute
>repeat all steps every 10 minutes

definitely not a meme

nice

it is horrible piece of shit, especially docker it is ok for prototyping, but for production is nightmare.
I had an devops in my company that spend fucking month trying to put kubernetes in cloud of simple app on docker it wasn't reliable. And even on kubernetes it still was crashing itself with shitty perfomance, i couldn't understand what the fuck he was doing. And always there were some strange things going on and anyone except that fuck couldn't debug it.
It was just fucking redis, elasticsearch, node, php, wordpress app.

I was mantaing it in simple instance AWS/bare metal load balancer that took like 40 lines literally 40 simple lines of shell script to deploy to any fucking server.

The future are simple solutions like aws beanstalk or google app engine, it just works.

Attached: QRGzDiGEKn4z8ZcOhSPHcfGbKGgilklMlK1sXHrnGbM.jpg (630x641, 108K)

just because you're a NEET and don't understand containerization that doesn't mean it's a meme or it will die

I spin up a VM for every http call. The VM is just a dispatcher of course, every function call on my backend is run on its own vm. Infinite scalability

Attached: aus.png (364x313, 7K)

Docker? Yeah no thanks, LXD (LXC) is just fine:
lxc image list images: alpine amd64
# pick a version, download 2.3Mb image and launch it:
lxc launch images:alpine/3.8/amd64 alpine

Really convenient to run any linux within linux, but for gui programs you need tweak settings (privileges) a bit.

It really is. Just use a VM instead of time sink docker.

docker = shitty proprietary standard.

i've heard some faggots use containers just to run crond

>is containerization just a meme?
Not at all. FreeBSD jails and Virtuozzo (OpenVZ) have been around for 18 years and aren't going away. Application containerization is newer, but it is not a meme because it has literally solved deployment. (If you use it right and pay attention to complexity. It very easy to get into a clusterfuck that will require a full-time sysadm... "DevOps" to solve. Hint: your e-commerce startup probably doesn't need to self-host K8s. It probably doesn't need K8s at all.)
>when will it die?
When unikernels replace application containers.

Attached: Virtuozzo_company_logo.png (600x120, 5K)

Which is why you don't use container images built by Joe Schmoe, who may or may not be an attacker. Stick to a few known ones and build the rest yourself. FROM alpine:x.y and FROM debian:z-slim is the way to go.

You also need a reverse proxy if you want to run several containerized applications with the same standard port on one machine.

You, my friend, have achieved serverless satori.

how did it taste?

That is one sad story. I am curious what exactly he was doing that it took a month and how long ago it was. I've deployed similar applications using Docker no problem, though I stay away from Kubernetes.

like chicken

This

I hope the docker repo doesn't follow the way of npm where you find 1000 clones of the printf function and isOdd with 1 dependency

like chicken with a hint of watermelon
i would have taken a photo as proof, but i seem to have misplaced my iphone

well it's the only sane way of implementing non-shared libs.
It's def bloat but it can be pretty useful. flatpaks for windows games bundled with an optimized version of WINE for example

Why would I use this shit when I can already use lxc???

moron
vmware shill or just shitposter
>And even on kubernetes it still was crashing itself with shitty perfomance
never elaborates on how the infrastructure is setup to confirm performance issues.
>i couldn't understand what the fuck he was doing.
admits to not understanding the technology but claims is bad
>And always there were some strange things going on and anyone except that fuck couldn't debug it
blaming someone to be able to learn a new technology while you yourself not being able to comprehend the concept
>It was just fucking redis, elasticsearch, node, php, wordpress app.
"just"

It's like you are yelling at brits for having their steering wheels on the right side and driving on the left, makes the cars bad. You are an utter moron.

low tier shittpost bait

jails and virtuozzo are not even remotely the same or close to it. they are both terrible technology and need to die ASAP.

>jails and virtuozzo are not even remotely the same or close to it. they are both terrible technology and need to die ASAP.
Why, though?

keep us posted, pajeet

Docker is to deployment as Git is to development. Anyone complaining is either a boomer or never has done a real world project.

Both link resources to the guest, which implies that you can escape security context from "container" to OS. Static components that they require to be linked to the guest OS, like the kernel or libraries, effectively reduce the configuration on the guest side, unless explicitly permitted, with which you enable as a consequence manipulation of the OS through the guest. You can of course create ACLs around it, from file system acls to SELinux mls rules or all the fuckery that grsec does. The problem is that the system will get even more complex, due to complexity, security becomes even more difficult, and before you even attempt it you let it be.

If you need to do something quick and dirty because you have limited hardware resources, it is an option. In terms of security they are both shit

I basically agree with everything you say, but the poster I replied to seemed to be suggesting that Docker is superior when it has exactly the same problems.

Docker's a pain in the ass to set up. Just distribute a statically linked binary.

Docker has less issues because it only needs what's really necessary, if you do it right. If you go away from Docker as a technology and look at other containers, you find that you can just have a runtime as container. So you have a network stack that's just talking via minimalistic API to the OS, instead of linking libs, kernel objects and so on. From that point on you do IaC (infrastructure as cod) where you define your stack and the application it runs on.

Its made NAS distro very useful. I run my Usenet shit, Next cloud and stuff like ttrss, Zonemimder and Filezilla to yank stuff via Ftp. Its all easily installed via an Unraid plugin. The only problem I've had is ttrss breaks when I update the Database docker which is a separate container.

Very pleased to not run a full distro and manage all that shit in tandem.

Docker containers are great

if my computer crashes or anything (I run them all off of a debian hyper-v vm) I can just set shit up again within a minute. I even have a script that sets up the entire debian environment + docker containers that I wrote.

Just backup config settings and you'll be able to restart from a fresh install within 5 minutes.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (897x320, 84K)

Same desu.
Docker is handy and powerful as hell.
Much love for the docker team

Attached: 02a9fa8c2d4739ce1ca5724b13bc1fad31835c05.jpg (436x653, 97K)

kek

to all container apologists itt, how is your memeware superior to jails? if jails has bugs or is poorly implemented, why didn't you just fix it instead of piling on more memes?

I dislike all this and would prefer you just use a VM.

The prevalence of Docker to distribute warez really says something about the state of GNU/Linux in 2018!

Wtf was that "devops" doing? We migrated all our microservices to a kubernetes cluster in one week, including learning by doing and setting up the cluster.

>Docker's a pain in the ass to set up.
Only the first few times around and only if you don't use docker-machine.

docker was made by retarded macfaggots
it's pretty obvious when docker asks for hyper-v to be enabled

>infrastructure as cod
Good Germanic pun.

Not on Linux.

Docker is a bad solution to something that should be solved by microkernels.

No, let's clarify: docker on Windows was made by retarded Pajeets. Their division just tried to catch on and then, I believe, buried the idea in favor of WSL.

>create a culture of developing and distributing programs so fragmented, complicated, and broken that you have constantly set up and delete a meme version of a VM just to get anything working
>call yourself an engineer
every one of you faggots that enable and fetishize complexity will be summarily executed on the day of the computing rope

Attached: 1535901765745.png (817x443, 34K)

>vmware shill or just shitposter
Mostly shitposting.

I do the same thing with ansible. The advantage is that i can deploy it to bare metal a vm or a lxc container. The only real good use case for docker i see is something like testing / CI where you need to setup the same environment 100 times a day.

>warez
Haven’t seen that word in ages

>when will it die?

When we get a secure operating system

> I do the same thing with ansible
100% this. The only use-case I see with Docker is non-permanent dev containers: set something up, test it, kill it.

>old days
>let's write a highly efficient program which interacts cleanly with other services and scales safely
>sure! we 3 people can do it in a year

>new days
>our program runs like ass, we have to constantly maintain exceptions and interfaces and we can't root out that memory leak and it doesn't scale because we fuck over ports
>we'll run 10 and restart them every other day, who cares if we only can actually service half the people we claim?
>oh no we're breaking config files, and we don't interact with the operating system safely
>it's fine, we'll package it in a virtual machine and run two on five systems and trash a virtual space every time we restart it
>brilliant!

How well does LXD run on distros other than Ubuntu?

Ropes are useful data structures.

No it's not..
Like for everything, it Just have to be use only when it's needed

Attached: fail whale.jpg (600x424, 95K)

>old days
>let's slap together some Perl with our homebrew SOAP extension for Perl written in pre-03 C++
>now let's rewrite it in Java 1.1
FTFY. You have no idea about the old days, man.

>config files
Shouldn't exist. Do you even 12 factor?

Why not just use Windows. Then your server wont ransomly die whwn you do an update or install new software.

>unironically suggesting a Windows server
wew lad

From what I can tell the benefits of containers for software development is that you can create a environment that is meant solely for developing that software and helps avoid possible dependency conflicts of your tools and libraries. It seems cool I suppose but I do not see the benefits over VM. I definitely do not understand the use of docker on top of LXC. Maybe I misunderstand.

What a dumb fucking question

>ransomly
Nice typo.

Attached: ransomware-wannacry.jpg (930x618, 150K)