What is the eventual fate of the internet, lads? It just keeps getting worse and worse...

What is the eventual fate of the internet, lads? It just keeps getting worse and worse. The quality keeps getting lower and lower. How can we recreate the magic of the old internet without it being sabotaged by corporate interests?

Attached: imagine what 2018 looks like.jpg (900x2002, 762K)

>How can we recreate the magic of the old internet without it being sabotaged by corporate interests?
stop using garbage sites like facebook and netflix

>How can we recreate the magic of the old internet without it being sabotaged by corporate interests?
Killing all jews

fuck off nostalgic retard
the internet has way more value than it did when it was shitty homepages and forums

lot of its phones, and tablets, and phablets, and various fucking nonsense you have to design for. Old school, you got a lot of 'quirky' but well-designed and interesting individual sites. Also a lot of shot of course, but still. Now, you either have to cope with all that shit, do 'yet another wordpress POS' or, don't bother.
>tldr - blame phoneposters, the cunts.

It has value as a data mining and counterintelligence tool, yes. But it doesn't have soul.

you don't have a soul

imagine actually thinking this

imagine wanting the internet to be less useful because it makes you feel nostalgic and comfortable

yes, watching netflix and posting pictures of your 4th week on HRT is useful

Attached: _87828629_7402f72b-312e-4ec6-a0cc-26aedd3a6ca2.jpg (624x351, 19K)

The internet is less useful. An over-saturation of information makes information meaningless.

Attached: prophetic.png (1919x735, 138K)

yeah watching things on demand instead of having to sit through shitty programming with ads is useful

>trying to justify watching netflix

what kind of mental gymnastics do you have to go through to pretend it's not better than TV?

Those thousands of sites are still out there. Normies are just going to flock to the lowest hanging fruit. They're normie containment.

>thinks netflix is good

Attached: tidepods.gif (200x172, 70K)

>no arguments

Looking how Microsoft has that much traffic I assume they bundle people who use that company to host their site using their platform also get put under that big corporation. So, people do still visit a lot of different websites, a big majority isn't hosted by just the everyperson in their own home, but on a server by Microsoft, Google or Amazon.

still waiting for yours

by making another internet which doesn't have fucktards on it.. you would have to create some kind of random exam which keeps the retards away from the new place.

being able to watch whatever you want whenever you want with no ads is better than the alternative
i already said so

what does that have to do with the internet being more useful?

How would you make a "new" internet, though? You'd need to create a new backbone and everything.

We're going in for one last job, user. We're making a new internet.

Are you in?

wait, is yahoo still a thing in US?

i was wondering the same thing, i figure its old people with it set to their homepage

that was terry's plan, and they killed him for it.

the infographic is from 2014. yahoo was still... kind of a thing then. I'd be interested in seeing an updated version.

>The quality keeps getting lower and lower. How can we recreate the magic of the old internet
Stop using the sites that have become crap, and adopt/create sites that aren't crap.

>without it being sabotaged by corporate interests?
If you don't depend on them, there's very little they can do to you.

>by making another internet which doesn't have fucktards on it..
That's the exact wrong way of going about it. If you want to fix things, try understand why they ended up the way they are. Don't just go somewhere else and hope the problems won't follow you.

User CSS
Neopets and Gaia and geocities
Cheaply hosted websites
Forums that weren't a carbon copy template, they were all uniquely styled and even had cool stuff like music players. Forums now barely have profile pictures, much less dynamic signatures and user badges. Even myspace was very customizable. YouTube channels were customizable. People were more spread out across the internet and smaller populations weren't signs a community was dying. Now everything is white, flat, impersonal, "material design". Page design on the internet is too uniform, you're always looking at some companies web page, not some person's.
Want to save the internet? Bring back hobby HTML, bring back REAL communities, and for God's sake bring back cheap or free hosting. The internet used to be something people made their own and now it's so impersonal you're always looking at some companies web page. The problem though is that everyone wants to sit in their Google monopolized cesspool too afraid to venture towards any community that doesn't have hundreds of thousands of members to instantly shower them with attention.

I mean, you really aren't wrong.

Anyone who says "just stop using major platforms" misses the point entirely, and ignores the cultural impact that these major platforms have. You can't re-create something that only existed due to cultural dominance as a subculture without it being anything more than a LARP that people dip in to on occasion.

I don't care because the underground scene will always be there to serve itself.

I don't think they'll come back unless we can change the paradigm in which they operate, or at least the model in which they take place. Someone who pays for infinite data (or "time" if they're streaming) who only uses the internet as we did back then when we were charged by the minute is "wasting money", and the system is built around getting you to a major site and keeping you there (because if you're not there at all, or there all day it "costs" you the same).

Add in to this the convenience of things like wikis rather than multiple fan sites with information. And we all know that Tumblr is far worse than a site that lists the images as thumbnails, but it's less convenient to make all those thumbnails and links.

You're missing the larger picture.

There are plenty of mentally ill people lurking IRC who are still stuck in the early days of the internet you can go hang out with

What was your favourite thing about wild west era of the internet? For me it was the kind of flash games that now would never make it past the app store censor

That's exactly what I'm saying. It's the same with the weirdos who still play ancient MUDs and have done for decades now.

What we need is a NEW paradigm that takes these best parts of the old and carries them forward in to something new. Not in a nostalgic or hauntological sense, but to move towards a future.

Think about it this way. Let's say we start a trend of people only logging on to the internet for a very small amount of time, what would come from this? A return to written text-files and ezines, because they can be brought down and pushed up quicker.

The web as an slrnpull script. Or even something like BBS mailreaders.

that, and chatrooms. i used yahoo and advanced A LOT. rip.

this, I am one of them

If you are being rational and not nostalgic, what is better about the old internet? the fact that less people used it?

Far less capacity for endless time-wasting and adherence to the attention economy. I think the nature of it being something that was charged by the minute, and slow, fostered an attitude that what you put online should be functionable offline.

>freedom is bad because you can misuse that freedom to waste your time
maybe you could try emigrating to north korea

if only you knew that there were tools better than netflix and they are free. If only you knew that netflix gets shitier and shier every year while those tools improve. But you do not know and you will not know because quite frankly I do not want to disclose them.

I've never used netflix dude, I pirate everything, it was just an example

ok this is the way to go.

That most of these platforms employ psychologists in order to specifically mould them towards being addictive can't be overlooked.