So why do people hate the Touch Bar so much...

So why do people hate the Touch Bar so much? It's not revolutionary but it does provide tiny benefits and it doesn't get in the way.

Attached: touch bar.jpg (1600x900, 230K)

>and it doesn't get in the way
>replace physical function keys
>doesn't get in the way

Attached: 8nRqoXW.jpg.png (800x729, 48K)

*adds $600 to base price for, and I quote, "tiny benefits"*
Inb4 stop being poor

>tiny benefits
like what?
fucking emojis?

The function keys are still there, they're just virtual. You hold the fn button and the function keys appear in the touch bar during. So basically the functionality stays exactly the same, except the keys are on a screen and not actual keys.
And it makes certain tasks that you carry out often like adjusting brightness and volume a tiny bit easier. Instead of having to taptaptap or hold until you get where you want, you just grab and slide and be done with it in one single motion. I'm not seeing the problem here.

Incremental improvements in fluidity. The ability to adjust things through sliders, the ability to jump to specific parts in a video using a scrubber instead of the number line + arrow keys, the ability for each program to give you its own custom set of buttons, etc.
I know keyboard shortcuts exist but some things can't be done with a keyboard shortcut, or rather, it wouldn't be very convenient.

>no escape key

Attached: 1533939604743.png (629x1173, 131K)

>no escape key
lmao op eats shit

The esc key is still there. It's just virtual. But it always stays in the same place, never moving or disappearing. Sometimes it may take the shape of different icons (i.e. a "Done" button, an x with a circle around it, etc) but it always remains functionally the same.

Attached: esc.jpg (1920x1080, 240K)

this.

see

gimmicky
no tactile feedback
raises cost of laptop to 1800$
powered by chip that makes it so you can't swap drives or recover your data

>The function keys are still there
Not mechanically.

>You hold the fn button and the function keys appear in the touch bar during
I hate doing that. I should only press the fn key to get extra functionality.

The problem is that Apple doesn't give a fuck about you, the consumer. They think you're a fucking idiot, that your opinions are worthless, because you and the other millions of morons purchase their products anyway. They're selling a lifestyle, not products or a solution. Apple products are the status symbols for "tech" consumers.

No tactile feel on the ESC key, you dumb fuck.

>Not mechanically.
A lot of people said the same thing about the original iPhone not having a keyboard, but it turned out to be fine. I think that sort of thing doesn't really need much tactile feedback as you don't use them nearly as much as you use the main keys.
>I hate doing that. I should only press the fn key to get extra functionality.
Well yeah but that's not necessarily the Touch Bar's fault. It's been like that since forever, which is why the fn key is there even on models that don't have the Touch Bar, and even on Windows laptops. The difference being that the Touch Bar has a setting that allows you to ensure that it only displays nothing but function keys 24/7 if you like.

see

>The problem is that Apple doesn't give a fuck about you, the consumer. They think you're a fucking idiot, that your opinions are worthless, because you and the other millions of morons purchase their products anyway. They're selling a lifestyle, not products or a solution. Apple products are the status symbols for "tech" consumers.
[citation needed]

>comparing a smartphone to a keyboard.
Next time, try typing on your smartphone without looking at the screen.
Or you're gonna tell me that you type on your laptop LOOKING AT THE KEYS???

>Next time, try typing on your smartphone without looking at the screen.
I actually can, because gesture typing is a thing. And so is autocorrect. It's actually pretty easy to type on a screen without looking at it.
>Or you're gonna tell me that you type on your laptop LOOKING AT THE KEYS???
No? When did I say that?
You don't need to look at the Touch Bar to use it. After some time, muscle memory kicks in and even when you don't have any physical tactile feedback, you can still use it blindly without problems. But the main keys are still physical, so typing while looking at the keyboard would be irrelevant anyway because we're not talking about the keyboard.

I hate the garbage keyboard far more. It alone made me take back the Macbook and never look back.

everybody here is just a hater. go on your way and enjoy the touch bar

I love the new keyboard. Travel is shit but it feels somewhat tactile and are not as mushy as the previous keyboard.

>Or you're gonna tell me that you type on your laptop LOOKING AT THE KEYS???
HHAHAHAHHAHAH iTODDLERS BTFO

Understandable. I actually kinda like the keyboard a little bit. The larger, more stable keys that require less force to register leads to faster and more accurate typing.
I hate the overheating, though.

This. I was just about to say the same.

Those are my opinions, but you have to be brain dead or rationalizing like a German in the 1940s to not see how Apple operates. Look at how many times unpopular decisions about Apple products were forced on users. Apple products are status symbols; remember how iconic ipods were? Those white cords from the headphones were a clear symbol that someone had money to afford an ipod. Apple has always been a company of exclusion.

Stop samefagging and accept defeat.

>Y-you're just samefagging
You lost, the product is shitty and the people who use it are gay.

>Look at how many times unpopular decisions about Apple products were forced on users.
A lot of those decisions were pushed for the greater good of technology. If every company did nothing more than give its consumers exactly what they asked for, we'd all still be using floppy disks.
>Apple products are status symbols; remember how iconic ipods were? Those white cords from the headphones were a clear symbol that someone had money to afford an ipod. Apple has always been a company of exclusion.
I wouldn't necessarily say so. A lot of other companies are producing flagship devices in the same more more expensive price category, and it's been that say since pretty much forever, yet nobody seems to care about them. And iPods have never been so expensive as to classify as a luxury item anyway.

Either way, none of this is really relevant to the Touch Bar itself. You're getting into much larger, more philosophical territory. I'm just curious as to why people hate the Touch Bar specifically.

>You lost, the product is shitty and the people who use it are gay.
Why are you like this? I'm not trying to 'win' anything here. I'm only making a sincere attempt to understand the opposing viewpoints of others, meanwhile you treat it like some sort of weird competition you take far too seriously and hurl insults for no reason.

It's a dumb gimmick.
I rather have F keys desu

>A lot of those decisions were pushed for the greater good of technology.
No, those decision were to increase their profit margin. They don't do what they do to advance humanity. Don't delude yourself, it's all about the money.

>if every company did nothing more than give its consumers exactly what they asked for, we'd all still be using floppy disks.
I'm saying they should comply with every demand, but they almost completely ignore the consumers. You know this, stop rationalizing, and be objective.

>I wouldn't necessarily say so. A lot of other companies are producing flagship devices in the same more more expensive price category,
They don't excel in the business world. Their targeted demographic is 18-36 aged consumers, even when they sell to businesses. Have you ever had to use an apple server? I have (professionally), they're overpriced shit. Look at accessories for Apple products. The majority of them scream the Apple logo, or make damn sure you know it's an Apple product.

>iPods have never been so expensive as to classify as a luxury item anyway.
>>>/global/rules/2
I think you're very young, or just dumb. When iPods came out, the only people who had them were people who had the means to afford one. It's just that simple, maybe you don't remember because you still had diapers on.

>Look at accessories for Apple products. The majority of them scream the Apple logo, or make damn sure you know it's an Apple product.
The majority of them don't. AirPods have no logo. The dongle has no logo. The wireless trackpad has no logo, except on the bottom where no one will see it. HomePod doesn't have an Apple logo. The Smart Covers don't have any logos.
iPhone cases made by Apple have one tiny logo on the back, but otherwise most of their accessories don't have "scream the Apple logo." They're actually kind of subtle.

I swear part of this is a copypasta

>No, those decision were to increase their profit margin. They don't do what they do to advance humanity. Don't delude yourself, it's all about the money.
Could you please list a few examples of this?

>They don't excel in the business world. Their targeted demographic is 18-36 aged consumers, even when they sell to businesses.
I'm not seeing the problem here.

>Have you ever had to use an apple server? I have (professionally), they're overpriced shit.
Well it's a good thing they're not sellling well, isn't it? No company produces 100% gold. It's just not possible.

Why not make the whole keyboard a touchscreen then? Image how cool it would be to write code with gesture typing. Of course you'd have to install language-specific packages for that.

I'll never understand why so many people view Apple as money-hungry when in fact they often display behaviors that indicate them leaving money on the table for no good reason.
Take a company like Samsung, one of their biggest major competitors. Samsung uses their power to manufacture absolutely everything that runs on electricity, from hundreds of different types of smartphones, to hundreds of different types of dumbphones, to refrigerators, dishwashers, laptops, TVs, tablets, washing machines, dryers, etc. They're trying to rake in as much money as possible in every market possible, all while having a nearly non-existent customer service base.
Meanwhile, Apple sticks to making a short list of moderately expensive products, showing no hesitation to axe products that nobody wants, and suddenly they're the most greedy company on the face of the planet.

There's always been a Fn key toggle setting in System Preferences for non-Touch Bar MacBooks too.

>Why not make the whole keyboard a touchscreen then?
They've considered it, but ultimately decided it would be a bad idea because people seem to really prefer tactile feedback when it comes to the main keyboard. They are gradually giving the keyboard less and less travel with each generation, presumably to ease people into what will eventually be a touchscreen keyboard. Although Lenovo is currently doing just that with the Yoga Book.

>Image how cool it would be to write code with gesture typing.
I don't think anybody wants to slide their finger across a full-size keyboard. Gesture typing works fine in the context of a tiny screen where you have to do everything with a single thumb, but touch typing is easier on a full keyboard with all ten fingers being utilized.

>The majority of them scream the Apple logo, or make damn sure you know it's an Apple product.
>AirPods have no logo. The dongle has no logo. The wireless trackpad has no logo, except on the bottom where no one will see it. HomePod doesn't have an Apple logo.
They all share this characteristic: shiny, white, and smooth.

>Could you please list a few examples of this?
Are you joking? Apple is a for-profit business; the most profitable business today.

>I'm not seeing the problem here.
It means you need to read more, and not just jump into arguments.

>Well it's a good thing they're not sellling well, isn't it?
I would say so.

>No company produces 100% gold. It's just not possible.
That's true, but 80% gold would be better than sprinkling gold(Apple logo) on bullshit.

Nope, all me. 100% original.

>I'll never understand why so many people view Apple as money-hungry
Than it seems that you don't understand much. See my comment above on how apple is the most profitable company in existence.

>I'm not trying to 'win' anything here
>Stop samefagging and accept defeat
HHAHAHHAHA no wonder iToddlers slurp up any garbage Apple shits out, you've got the attention span of a gnat.

>They all share this characteristic: shiny, white, and smooth.
So? That makes it easier for knockoffs to appear genuine because you can't copyright shiny, white and smooth. What's wrong with introducing a visual motif to make the design of your products more consistent?
Should they make everything bumpy and barf-colored?

>Apple is a for-profit business; the most profitable business today.
I'd say they got there by designing products that people genuinely want to use, not just by mass brainwashing. There seems to be a lot of thought that goes into the design of their products in general, it's not much of a surprise that a company that sells products like that would be successful.

I didn't write that second post.

>op makes a thread about the touch bar
>half of the posts have absolutely nothing to do with the touch bar
of course

It's just "casualizing" the f keys. Instead of f1 it'll display a menu button, f2 for save button, etc.

If you can even call it that. Memorizing the f keys doesn't make you any better at computers especially so since function keys are mapped vastly different depending on the program.

For people like me who doesn't use the f keys at all the touchbar is a definite upgrade.

>It's just "casualizing" the f keys. Instead of f1 it'll display a menu button, f2 for save button, etc.
It's a bit more fluid than that, but yeah. It doesn't always display buttons.

Just trying to paint a better picture for those who doesn't have it.

Standard function keys are really only useful for terminal applications. macOS apps conventionally use other modifier keys for shortcuts like Command, Alt / Option, and Control. It's not like Windows with its keyboard shortcuts carried over from DOS.

I didn't write that post.

is useless because only show emojis in Adobe apps or Xcode.
You need move your eyeballs for use Touch bar, making this unnecessary distraction.

>That makes it easier for knockoffs to appear genuine
>They want you to buy cheap chinese shit from Apple not from the chinese.
No, I don't think that's it, but that's a digress I don't want to go down with you.

>What's wrong with introducing a visual motif to make the design of your products more consistent?
Nothing. I just have a problem with what it implies. Status over others.

>I'd say they got there by designing products that people genuinely want to use, not just by mass brainwashing.
You're right, it's both.

>There seems to be a lot of thought that goes into the design of their products
There is a lot of thought that goes into it, but it's done by people much smarter and fluent than you or I. You think Tim Cook has a say in product design? It's a round table of investors who make the decisions; not some pot smoking hipsters with agenda of promoting equality.

>fluent
affluent.