I was just messing with my brand new pair of iPhones...

I was just messing with my brand new pair of iPhones, the iPhone XR (256GB) and the flagship iPhone XS Max (512GB) I picked up from the Apple Store a little earlier tonight and I was thinking to myself.. Gee whiz.. why are the icons on the taskbar always flickering in windows 10????

wait..... i know the answer..
windows performs a redraw of the icons when a SHChangeNotify call is made to shell32, specifically either SHCNE_ASSOCCHANGED or SHCNE_UPDATEIMAGE, as outlined here: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/shlobj_core/nf-shlobj_core-shchangenotify

This looks like shit and its amazing this issue persists. Now take a look at microsoft 'support' forums. Ouch.. here's a complaint about the issue from 2009 (LOL, 10 years ago) 'Taskbar Flickering constantly. How do I make it stop?'. A more recent one has a Top answer from windows Expert 'A. User' suggesting to run 'sfc /scannow' to solve the problem!

no one is behind the wheel of the ship at the windows division of microsoft, or even microsoft in general. really sad stuff

Attached: iphonetaskbarflicker.gif (600x338, 280K)

Other urls found in this thread:

neowin.net/forum/topic/1276450-patching-dlls-in-general-and-specifically-user32dll-to-prevent-flashwindowex-on-windows-10/
github.com/n1nj4sec/memorpy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>running windows 10 with 2gb of ram
lmaooooo

maybe stop buying shit machines released 10 years ago and try running them with led monitors
also you can just auto hide the taskbar my autistic friend

god, shut the fuck up

Everything Microsoft is somehow worse now than it was 10 years ago. How are businesses falling into the trap of buying MS when even Linux is better and costs less?

I fucking loled

Attached: Zozzle.jpg (506x489, 62K)

You can just hook the DCOM/RPC method triggered by SHChangeNotify in explorer.exe via a dll injection if you want to stop that. Just put it on a timer to update every 60 seconds or whatever you want.

>just use this ugly hack that will fuck your system even harder

typical low IQ windows user

>I don't get it, why do businesses not get free software that doesn't run their proprietary software?? They're so stupid to get an OS that was free and runs their software

Because Linux won't natively run the one 20-year-old Win32 program that the business hinges its entire operation on, and paying your nephew to set up Wine is not an alternative to Microsoft's support.

>icons on desktop
turbo brainlet

What else am I going to put there? I'm making a useful system, not a display piece.

>DCOM/RPC
please, please, please, please explain what you mean by this... if you are for real... i have looked into trying to mess with shell32.dll via memory to overwrite the functionality of shchangenotify but have no idea how to prevent it from executing, id love to know more

being on the desktop is never useful

almost all shell32 functions are using COM. Specifically the inter-process variant known as DCOM, which in turn is built on RPC(remote procedure call), which itself is built on ALPC/LPC which is a way for programs to trigger events in other programs.
Local Procedure Calls from the process running a shell32 function typically call out to the explorer.exe running in the same WinStation(basically the view that the gui is running in). If you want to change the behavior of any of these functions, that's all done in the remote process, explorer.exe, so look for the functions being executed there.

Did you just drag the icon WITH YOUR MIND ?????

It's a great place to drop temporary stuff. It's the easiest place to navigate to, and having them cluttering your screen will remind you to clean up when you're done anc close your windows.

i mean that just seems easier said than done right? it took ages to track down what was causing the flickering, and pinpointed it to that specific function in shell32 - i just want to stop the flickering man, i know exactly what function triggers it and exactly which arguments trigger it, i need to patch the memory somehow to make it stop, i dont know how, thats why i keep making this threada and over and over so hopefully some GENIUS (probably you) can be very specific about how to stop this shit, i need specifics, please please please, i will pay you $10 if you want, help me im at my wits end

Write a DLL that has a DLLMain which finds the entrypoint to that function via GetProcAddress and then patch the first bytes to be a ret instruction. Find a way to inject that dll into explorer, which should be easy with admin privs. Function will now be a no-op. Done.
This will probably break your system as you will likely need to update icons occasionally.

>spending hours fixing tiny visual bug on one system instead of just driving to the house of the MS employee responsible, and having a grown up conversation about how he needs to fix his shit and push an update

>MS employee is Pajeet

What now

Could you imagine if defect blindness was genetic? Good thing it's not and you're just being a funny racist.

clearly i don't know how to write a DLL to do that which is why i keep looking for help :( :( :(
i found this thread using some helpful keywords youve mentioned in this thread
neowin.net/forum/topic/1276450-patching-dlls-in-general-and-specifically-user32dll-to-prevent-flashwindowex-on-windows-10/

this looks like someone else made a program that was targeting user32.dll to prevent it from triggering a noflashingwindows function

github.com/n1nj4sec/memorpy

i guess i could use some techniques in ehre to do something simliar to SHChangeNotify, but stuff dealing with memory or etc is just so out of my league ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is so deprssing. i need to patch the loaded dll's memory in place, i wonder where i could put up a bounty for this, then i could free Jow Forums of this thread once and for all

Thanks for the lecture bud. I’m sure all your Twitter friends are very proud of you.