FUCK LINUX

>install fedora
>try installing NVIDIA graphics drivers
>corrupts entire operating system

>install ubuntu
>cant set my dual monitors to different scaling options. one is 4k and the other is SD

>install debian
>mouse randomly disapears
>second monitor doesnt even work

im about done with this bullshit. it never just works.. its always something that has to fuck up, and after i fix it, something else fucks up

Attached: make-windows-faster-than-linux.jpg (250x192, 14K)

> novideo

>>corrupts entire operating system
No it doesn't, you just couldn't change it back

>>cant set my dual monitors to different scaling options. one is 4k and the other is SD
Yes you can, xrandr

You're a brainlet

im convinced that linux just really hates highend GPUs and hidpi monitors

Yeah I tried linux on my laptop, 4 diff distros and none of them would install properly or allow me to dual boot.
Back to windows 10 I went.

>somehow linux is at fault

Attached: confused-nigga.jpg (431x431, 13K)

>implying i never tried these solutions

i got fedora to work again but afterwards it didnt run smoothly and would crash randomly

as for xrandr, i could change the scaling but it would look blurry as fuck

Why is it that linux cant handle the most basic configuration that any other OS does with ease, such as working properly with 2 monitors of different resolutions

>corrupts entire operating system

Lemme guess you tried to install the drivers from the website.

Microsoft paid shills going full force

Not him, but installing from the website is the easiest/safest/fastest way:
> boot in runlevel 3
> sudo ./NVIDIA
> yes yes
> reboot
Done. It's just works.
As a bonus - you don't need to wait for package maintainers to apply patches for compatibility with a new kernel.

>install gentoo
>emerge nvidia-drivers
>it just works

>Elevating anything coming from nvidia corporation.
Enjoy your botnet.

Use whatever tool is best for the job.
For enhanced privacy, scientific computing, web development and some kinds of embedded development use Linux. For pretty much anything else use Winblows.
All OSes are shit but in different ways.

>y-you just w-wait...

Attached: 1488404372228.jpg (552x661, 71K)

Yeah, I'm sure having an embedded RISC processor running encrypted firmware with complete access to RAM and the PCI bus isn't enough to spy on you. I'm sure they need you to install some stupid proprietary driver for that.

you don't realize how great windows is until you try linux. all the little conveniences you took for granted or weren't even aware of suddenly make themselves painfully obvious

because none of the devs or userbase use current hardware

What for? Trying to deliberately ask for errors even though open source drivers work just fine?
>cant set my dual monitors to different scaling options. one is 4k and the other is SD
Source?
>mouse randomly disapears
>second monitor doesnt even work
Source?

well amd linux driver support by now is superior

>Back to windows 10 I went
Stay there until you learn how to do the most basic of tasks.
It can't? No one's seen any sources or instructions for replicating these issues.
What little conveniences?

I use linux myself but you have to be delusional if you think the noveau drivers are at parity with the proprietary drivers

Yeah, but Linux always had some goodies for power users that Windows doesn't have.
NFS
Multiple desktops
Tiling
Customizability in general
Headless shell access
UNIX filesystem
It's free
No built in advertisement
Package management
Better command line
More secure and private by default
Lightweight options

But yeah Windows always had some things Linux doesn't have

>open source drivers work just fine
No, they are shit. Main problem is they haven't figured how to step up the GPU clock from the 800mhz by default, at least on Pascal.
Lots of stuttering with nouveau.

Why are you installing propiety software on distrobution that values open-source before user friendliness?

This.
Most if not all these things are already available or customizable in windows. This isn't Vista.

Thread

open source =! freetardation
Please don't force genital mutilation into an open ecosystem, thanks.

>>install fedora
>>try installing NVIDIA graphics drivers
>>corrupts entire operating system
it's literally 5 minutes of duckduckgoing and 7 minutes of fixing (including reboots). just don't install the RPM version of the drivers but download directly from nvidia and install that. also blacklist noveau because it's shit

>Using an OS that's hobbyist tier in the desktop space
It's your own fault.

What

because current GPUs are too fucking expensive for poorfag neet opensource devs. only linus could afford a 1080ti but he doesn't care because he wants a silent peecee

Attached: maxresdefault-2.jpg (1920x1080, 112K)

Bruh, bruh, bruuuuh. The Linus Torvalds/Linus Tech Tips meme died well over a year ago. Let it stay dead, please and thank you.

this is true. but amd cards are too expensive for the performance they offer

>What little conveniences?
Not him but tell me a command that would perform a 150% DPI scaling of ALL UI elements (including fonts, icons, buttons, etc.) on the following programs:
-xcalc
-dolphin
-chromium or firefox
-nautilus
running on ANY Xorg window manager or desktop environment of your choice, under either Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04.
Protip: You can't. Because it doesn't exist.
Windows 10 does it (albeit there are some bugs and some apps are blurry). But it works just fine 99% of the time.

It will never die newfag.

ok

>the best they have to offer yet
>still no Freesync support
Lmao Lincucks BTFO.

>install Шindoшs
>all the drivers are already in place and working perfectly for a small price of my entire shopping & browsing history

Attached: based.png (1000x1000, 177K)

linux tech tricks

And who gives a shit about what you like?

windows dpi scaling is high grade cancer and it's a shame windows wants to force it onto you if you run a 1440p display. I'd prefer ant fonts over degenerate windows scaling. luckily I only use windows in a vm with GPU pass through for the /v/ermin in me

>/v/ermin thinks normal v-sync isn't enough
>/v/ermin believes it can see more than 60fps
>/v/ermin is a brainlet consumer NPC
it's time to kys yourself, NPC

>install windows
>all the drivers are in place...
>...and send all your data to china and google
don't ask me how I know you have alexa or some other spysisstant in your home

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Linux.
The documentation is extremely subtle and without a solid grasp of programming skills most of the features will go over a typical user's head.

>newfag
I fucking wish. I wouldn't loathe myself so much for having wasted so many years of my life on this fucking board. Thank you for reminding me how much of my life I've wasted that I'll never get back, you son of a bitch.

>Has a middle school level understanding of computer graphics
>Doesn't know how frame timing variability causes frame drops with vsync
>Can't even see dropped frames and microstuttering at 60fps
>Doesn't understand that freesync reduces the hardware needed to run a given application fluently at 60fps
>Thinks he's not the NPC in the conversation
>Current state of freetards

>novidya gpu
lol

ITT: too dumb to configure linux

I installed Arch on my Asus Zenbook. This is one of the most complicated new machines to install Linux on, because it's Windows locked down. If I can install that OS, you can install Ubuntu on a toaster.

Do us a favor, don't use Linux and when you have an issue, don't come here to bitch. You're stupid, we get it guy.

for idiots => install windows

ok, faggots i have mac ppc and i can't install novaue mx2

I N S T A L L G E N T O O
N
S
T
A
L
L

G
E
N
T
O
O

>doesnt install arch
lol get a load of this guy

This. I'm not even a Linux user and I knew OP was this retarded

your issue is you kept on jumping from one distro to another, hoping everything will magically work, instead of trying to figure out why it didn't work the first time. there's a really good step-by-step guide on installing Nvidia drivers on Fedora out there. 95% of the time, you'll miss out an important step, mistype something, or misinterpret a command.

having said that, there are other issues and Nvidia + Linux isn't the friendliest combination. if you don't have the patience for these issues you should stick to Windows and save yourself the headache.

I mean, you have to be retarded if you're assuming it's not Linux's fault it doesn't support graphic drivers properly but Windows does.

Get an ipad if you aren't willing to learn. nvidia setup is really the first thing you should do when you set up your system and be a newfag, because chances are you are going to screw it up.

there are ppa's for ubuntu/mint that allows you to swap between three stable drivers, but you should really learn this your self. nvidia has always been a bitch at drivers, it's an age old problem.

after driver is install you setup cuda, vulkan etc too

>95% of the time, you'll miss out an important step, mistype something, or misinterpret a command
Bullshit. 90% of the times the """guide""" is outdated and shit stops working just because nobody has tested that driver+kernel combination with your particular hardware and there are subtle incompatibilities.

>laptop
>install debian
>install nvidia driver
>works

>desktop
>install fedora
>install nvidia driver
>works

maybe the problem lies elsewhere....

because they're absolutely the same thing, right?

>werkz on my machine
kys

just because the installation process isn't as straightforward doesn't mean Linux "doesn't support graphic drivers properly". it means there's more room for you to fuck up, such as by mistyping a command.

this is actually a problem. it usually goes like this
>faggot 16 year old is able to finally install the driver ground up
>... it's his first achievement in linux and now he thinks he is an old fag
>so he goes and starts to write tutorials, but he still does not really understand what he even did
sadly this is true, I don't into fedora but try checking out their official guide. it might be outdated or it might not

ALL of my machines though

No, it means that Linux is a garbage operating system maintained by unprofessional volunteers, and that Microsoft is a professional product maintained by Computer Science P.hds.

Because linux simply isn't for your type of setup. What do you actually need linux for?

PEBCAK

>Microsoft is a professional product maintained by Computer Science P.hds.
lol user I....

even at masters in cs/comp eng ms is useless, it doesn't have the software or the foundation for the shit you are doing then. Phd? lol forget about it. You will learn if you go down that road, you will get through bachelor on ms but after that no.

It's more so an understanding of getting what you pay for
>Get a Freemium OS
>Get a terrible, buggy product
>Pay for Windows
>Get a product that just works

Linux nowadays especially the user space is pretty much done by RedHat employees and paid devs from various Linux using companies, and drivers are generally done by hardware manufacturers.

>movinggoalposts.tga

The thing is that the OP can't even use the computer with Linux for anything, even enhanced privacy, scientific computing, web development and some kinds of embedded development

Yes he can
Just use the second monitor for reading documentation, chrome allows manually adjusting the zoom level

shit solutions

Better than trying to install Apache+PHP+Postgres on Windows for web development.
Believe me, I tried just a couple days ago.
And even if I could, deployment would be more of a pain in the ass than if everything was done in the target environment in the first place.
Inb4 virtual machines: have you ever tried to run an IDE on a VM on a 4k display? The performance is worse than using nouveau.
Fanboyism is for 19 year olds and younger, in the real world you use whatever works better for the job.

Works on my machine

It seems I'm one of the luckiest bastards on Earth.
>proprietary Nvidia drivers just work
>same with CUDA
>never had any problems with dual booting Windows (even with Win10 on a single SSD)
>installed Ubuntu, LXLE, Fedora, Trisquel and OpenSUSE on several devices without a hitch

>web "developers"

Attached: 210px-DumbingUsDown_Gatto.jpg (210x316, 18K)

>implying you're a developer at all

This has never happened to me in history. Shit never plugs and plays on Windows

>because skilled linux programmers are getting paid to work on Machintosh or stuck working on server stuffs
>companies that needs friendly and easier UI for general users goes mostly for Windows or Mac
>other OS that you wanted dont profit enough for your kind of use thus aint being worked on
they got mouths to feed, user

Maybe, maybe not. But I'm not so retarded I can't manage Apache.

Time to install ARCH
I was feeling like you until I installed the best distro. It has been installed for more than 6 years without any issue.

Attached: archlinux.png (300x225, 30K)

I had trouble with NVIDIA and Fedora too.

Don't have a meme resolution screen (2560x1440, getting a 1080p 21" secondary), so I can't comment on scaling. Might be an issue of GNOME not giving you enough options, try KDE or use something like xrandr.

maybe u r bad at lunix

Attached: 1536587176768.png (430x441, 85K)

>novideo
kek, next time buy something that actually supports linux

quads of truth

Here, you dropped this:
>/

just install manjaro lmao

>Supporting a proprietary company
>Blaming LInux

If feel bad for you and those around you user.

Don't you mean fuck Nvidia?

>NVIDIA
:)
kill yourself

There's never been anything 'great' about Windows. XP was kinda okay and 7 wasn't aggressively bad, but the other versions are/were various kinds of awful.

Literally your problem for buying nvidiot shit.
AMDGPU drivers are based.

stop messing with gnome shit, use manjaro for fucks sake

>Manjaro

Not even once

>uses shit GPU
>"oh, this OS is shit!"
kek

>have two monitors, one is 1440p and other is 1080p
>have AMD RX480
>install Debian Cinnamon nonfree ISO
>everything works, monitors both show picture OOTB and have different resolutions between each other
Maybe don't specifically go for hardware that Linus gave the finger at? It's like digging blood from your nose and complaining about the mess.
When I bought my card it wasn't expensive at all, it happened before the crazy mining boom. Which by the way happened with AMD hardware because AMD hardware is always better. They just lack the software to get everything out of it. That's why they are called FineWine™. It just gets better after waiting for a while. In the case of Linux, AMD software is already better than Nvidia so there's no point in considering Nvidia really.

Attached: 1481892634492.gif (640x360, 1.55M)

>install ubuntu with nvidia
>nvidia driver randomly hangs on boot when discovering GPUs
>boot takes 5 minutes for no apparent reason, upon googling it might be some new kernel entropy shit and I should hit random keys while booting
>only sound device is "dummy audio"
>when rebooting or shutting down it hangs after "starting reboot", it's not a big deal to reboot manually but still

Jesus what a clusterfuck, I could swear I remember when Ubuntu worked on a fresh install and waited until later to subtly break. Is it the nvidia curse?