Using a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ as my daily driver

I have been wanting to have a cheap ARM computer for a while, basically because these processors don't have a botnet.

I would like to buy a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ kit, which would cost me 60 euros, and a decent cheap 4:3 or 3:2 monitor.

Would a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ handle well some normie everyday tasks? Basically Youtube, some HD videos, word processing, web browsing, etc.

Attached: 770A4973-1620x1080.jpg (1620x1080, 201K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libre.computer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Don't want a botnet
>YouTube

Choose one

>Would a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ handle well some normie everyday tasks? Basically Youtube, some HD videos, word processing, web browsing, etc.
Yes actually. Not my daily driver, but I've dabbled around with a rpi 3, and it seemed to handle everything off the internet pretty well.

>it's this thread again

Attached: perfection.gif (397x360, 55K)

Yes. I've done that myself well I was saving up for my current PC.

Just go to Kjell & Company and get those coolers for them first, they run hot pretty fast if you try to use them like that. They should really come with those out the box. They aren't expensive like 70kr or so for all three of them.

You are probably going to ware out of that idea pretty fast though, using it as your daily driver I mean. I would get ie using one for shitposting or whatever. Got three of those bastards so far, all doing different shit, so now I need a 4th one

>don't have a botnet
user...

>Kjell & Company
Ebay or whatever, I was talking to these swedes elsewhere you see. They are not expensive though.

My pi came with a heatsink, and fan. I don't think that even gets hot enough to warrant having them, but they are installed anyways.

>basically because these processors don't have a botnet.
>[citation needed]

They don't have bullshit like the Intel Management Engine or its AMD counterpart, so in that sense, they don't have a botnet.

>Just go to Kjell & Company and get those coolers for them first
You mean the ones like pic related? Or a fan?

Attached: 71vbj1GLV3L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 135K)

lol fan even, heatsinks are good enough really

I had to go buy sets for that because if I sat on them and used them like a desktop, playing some videos and doing other shit at the same time it fucked off all the time.

yes it's exactly those I think, it's less than 10$ probably a lot cheaper in the us and so. You really only need them if you use the pi extensively, if you just have pihole and a router on one in example, it's just fine.

>No botnet
>Uses Jow Forums
Hmmmmmm

>No botnet
>Uses the internet

libre.computer/

"ARM TrustZone"

Oh you sweet sweet idiot, most all non-embedded CPUs have those things and have for many years now.
Also, you have to fucking load a closed source binary driver off of your SD card to even boot a Broadcom ARM chip.

>Oh you sweet sweet idiot, most all non-embedded CPUs have those things and have for many years now.
The Raspberry Pi doesn't
>Also, you have to fucking load a closed source binary driver off of your SD card to even boot a Broadcom ARM chip.
Irrelevant if you compare it to the IME and the bullshit present in other computers. Only an old Thinkpad is more open than a Raspberry Pi in this regard.

Dude, its called Platform Security Architecture. Its ARM's way of having encrypted firmware payload loaded on to the chip at boot and has access to all memory space. What the fuck do you think is included in the mandatory firmware that is loaded with the display drivers when boot strapping a rPi? You can't tell what it's doing when its loaded in to it's memory, you can't poke it, its just like Management Engine in that it operates bellow Ring 0.
Its included in ALL Arm chips from all vendors.
There are lots of reasons to use and like Raspberry Pis, but this is not it.

get an odroid xu4 instead, because muh emmc

Just get a used thinkpad.

Only reason iwould want a raspberry pi is for pihole

All the firmware on the Pi is closed source. For all you know it's as bad as ME.

I've been thinking about getting a Raspberry Pi or something else similar to use as a laptop for school. They got kits you can use for it, but people have made all sorts of DIY shit that works about as well. All I do is browse imageboards and write latex and plaintext documents with it, so I think it'd be okay. Really, I'm just concerned about the future of replacement laptop parts, especially batteries. Even Thinkpads are going to have nothing but garbage Chink batteries soon, and if I can't replace the batteries on this shit in the future, I'd like to at least be able to salvage the SBC to use for something else.

Attached: 1525806343832.gif (220x220, 734K)

It comes with a fan?
Mine only came with a weird heatsink. I put it on the CPU and I think the northbridge if these even havethose

Motherfucker, every single task I try to do on rpi hits arm wall
Holy shit at first I thought it would be a minor annoyance but it fucks up everything
I am so mad

>no botnet
>chip made by broadcom
wut?

I tried it. It isn't great, but it is doable.

It lags on a lot on certain tasks since the USB bus is bottlenecked, the mali GPU is closed source and getting any video to work on it is horrible so viewing youtube or VNC isn't possible.

I ended up having 2 pis. One for desktop/CLI shit and another with kodi to watch shit on. They were networked with SMB so the KODI pi could access movies and shit stored on the other one. Having a HDMI switch is helpful.