/fglt/ - Friendly GNU+Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: Rare Deepwater Jew.jpg (544x960, 252K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rath.org/ssd-caching-under-linux.html
ftp.ca.debian.org
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck stallman and fuck communism

Attached: 1439490361440.jpg (492x661, 105K)

>fuck apples and fuck oranges

you have no idea how the BSD licensing works do you?
>How would you have done it?
not him but find has built in functions that perform grep basically
cp iso /dev/disk

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-02-04 11-17-08.png (580x105, 26K)

Attached: lolgpl.png (715x499, 53K)

Retarded mutt-chink doesn't know what gpl is and neither do you.

GPL is giving away the rights to your work so you can be hip and coil and be part of the "free software movement".
Chink is right in every way. You give your code for free, i take it(which is legal in gpl) and put it in my code, but dont make it open source, so you will never know if i used your code(but you gave it away for free so why would you care in the first place?)
GPL is LITERAL cancer

>we shouldn't do something because it could be abused
go live in a padded cell
china steals anything they can get their hands on, gpl or otherwise. it's not that they don't give a shit about copyleft in particular, they just don't give a shit about licenses whatsoever

read

Please stop feeding the trolls

And what prevents anyone else from doing so?
Why do you think it is limited to the Chinese?

Stallman IS A COMMUNIST.
Grade A retarded communist
GPL is communist(Give everything you have away because stallman can no longer innovate and needs free source code)

>GPL is giving away the rights to your work so you can be hip and coil and be part of the "free software movement".
You don't give anything away, you can always re-license it.
>You give your code for free
You can sell it if you want retarded monkey.
>i take it(which is legal in gpl) and put it in my code, but dont make it open source, so you will never know if i used your code(but you gave it away for free so why would you care in the first place?)
What a surprise, you don't know anything about computers. This doesn't work retard. A lot o people tried and they all got sued. See tivo case.

You are right. I will only post this one because I had already written it.

shit, wasn't thinking

>anyone who disagrees with me is a troll
yep sure is personality cult in here

>You don't give anything away, you can always re-license it.
But any work prior to that you have to maintain with GPL code and for free
>You can sell it if you want retarded monkey.
Why would anyone buy code you can freely get on the internet?
>What a surprise, you don't know anything about computers. This doesn't work retard. A lot o people tried and they all got sued. See tivo case.
Look at my op pic, clearly i do know shit about computers as well as IP and COPYIRHGHT law.
>alot of people
A few people who got caught, were sued
>tivo
That was new technology with 80 year old judges. Tivo did nothing wrong

why is our irc on freenode
I can't get a vhost on there desu

>But any work prior to that you have to maintain with GPL code and for free
Wrong. It is your work and you can re license it. Of course you can't re license what you already sold.
>Why would anyone buy code you can freely get on the internet?
RedHat.

>Look at my op pic, clearly i do know shit about computers as well as IP and COPYIRHGHT law.
Doesn't make sense.
>A few people who got caught, were sued
>That was new technology with 80 year old judges. Tivo did nothing wrong
Won't bother replying to this. You know extremely low quality posts are a banable offense right?

I have a question:
Lets say you wrote a really awesome program, and licensed it with GPL. You intend to sell the program for $10 per copy. You implement some type of DRM so only people who purchased a code from you can use the program
Somebody "forks" your code so that it no longer has the DRM you put in, and releases it publicly and for free
Is this in violation of the GPL

This is not a violation of GPL. This is one of the main reasons people prefer free software over proprietary.

So somebody could totally fuck me over and make it so that I only sell 1 copy of my program ever?
that's pretty shitty man

>Wrong. It is your work and you can re license it. Of course you can't re license what you already sold.
But your code up to that milestone/commit is under GPL meaning you cannot relicense it out of GPL or you violate your license, thus anything prior to the relicense is under GPL.
>RedHat
RHEL sells a SERVICE, they dont sell code, they sell maintaining the environment as well as tech support. I would say "NICE TRY" but that wasnt a nice try, that was a bullshit pathetic try and im going to ridicule you for it.
>dosent make sense
How do you not fucking understand it? Are you stallman? Are you having such cognitive dissonance your reading comprehension goes to zero?
>Won't bother replying to this. You know extremely low quality posts are a banable offense right?
HUURRR DURR ONLY BAD GUYS GOT CAUGHT
There are billions of lines of code right now in the world that are licensed under gpl that are being used in closed non gpl proprietary software that you will never know about.

Thats like saying drugs dont exist because we catch the drug dealers and smugglers...Yet we have been "at war" with drugs for decades and drugs are still smuggled in and sold. Are you seriously this naive?

Well this thread is off to a good start

Stallman is an actual atheist jew who begs people to vote for the green party

I wish we could have free software things without political crap.

Hell, I wish we could have software things at all without Jow Forums.

why do BSD users know a lot about linux but linux users don't know a lot about BSD?

what distro would you recommend, if I want to switch from MacOS?

Ubuntu, it just werks

how do i make bootable usb drives in a way that they can store several distros on them? something like yumi on wangblowz

This argument is dumb. If there was no free software to steal, they'd just write new programs.

Because BSD is irrelevant

how do I execute scripts on startup?
I'm pretty new to linux.

system startup: you write an initscript (sysvinit/openrc/upstart/similar boot systems) or a systemd service (systemd based distros). There are plenty of tutorials and template files a web search away for this.

On logon: every desktop env has a settings for startup where you can setup up commands/programs to be executed when you log in.

>used by cisco, apple, sony, nintendo, whatsapp, nokia, ibm, netflix and tons of others
>irrelevant

Is gentoo worth it?

nope

the logical conclusion to his argument is to make everything closed source

fucking retarded subhuman ch*nk dogeater. no wonder those slit eyed insects can't make any software worth two shits

Attached: CopyQ.kn7297.png (533x533, 177K)

trying to make autofire script, on windows I used autohotkey. I want to have something that I just run, and when it's running if c key is held down it will press z every 0.1 second, something like
while true; do
sleep 0.1
xdotool key z
done
but " while c key is pressed" after if true, the read command in bash doesn't work when terminal window is unfocused though, how can I achieve this functionality, is there something I can install and use instead of read to use as bash script or another software like autohotkey on windows?

Attached: 1371496988272.gif (256x256, 1.67M)

anyone used bcache before?
currently stuck needing windows occationally for solidworks, and i've had to put it on my only 64GB ssd, since it's an absolute hog on a hdd
so to make use of the remaining space on the ssd, i thought i'd try setting it up as a bcache cache for my root/home

my questions are,
- is it worth it?
- will btrfs on the backing device be a problem as far as it's sequential-detection-and-redirection is concerned?, i can't allocate much of the ssd to this, so i need to keep large files out of it

I never felt the need of "readyboosting" gnu+linux while I use it on all of my windows systems.
If you have enough RAM and don't use some extremely heave disk load programs in gnu+linux I think it's not worth the hassle and the possible risks if any.

get btfo bitch

>Bill Gates discussed patents with CNET under the heading of “intellectual property,” a term that covers many disparate laws. He said anyone who won't give blanket support to all these laws is a Communist. Since I'm not a Communist but I have criticized software patents, I got to thinking this calumny might be aimed at me.

>The term “intellectual property” is too broad to have one opinion about. It lumps together copyright law, patent law, and various other laws, whose requirements and effects are entirely different. So anyone using the term “intellectual property” is typically either confused himself, or trying to confuse you. Why does Mr. Gates lump these issues together? Let's study the differences he sets aside.

>Software developers are not up in arms against copyright law, because the developer of a program holds the copyright on the program; as long as the programmers wrote the code themselves, no one else has a copyright on their code. There is no danger that strangers could have a valid case of copyright infringement against them.

>Patents are a different story. Software patents don't cover programs or code; they cover ideas (methods, techniques, features, algorithms, etc.). Developing a large program entails combining thousands of ideas, and even if a few of them are new, the rest must necessarily have come from other sources, such as programs the developer has seen. If each of these ideas could be patented by someone, every large program is likely to infringe hundreds of patents. Developing a large program means laying oneself open to hundreds of potential lawsuits. Software patents are a menace to software developers, and to the users. Since patent law covers execution of the program, the users can also be sued.

>A few fortunate software developers avoid most of the danger. These are the megacorporations, which typically have thousands of patents each, and cross-license with each other. This gives them an advantage over smaller rivals not in a position to do likewise. That's why it is generally the megacorporations that lobby for software patents.

>Today's Microsoft is a megacorporation with thousands of patents. Microsoft said in court that the main competition for MS Windows is “Linux,” meaning the free software GNU/Linux operating system. Leaked internal documents say that Microsoft aims to use software patents to stop the development of GNU/Linux.

>When Mr. Gates started hyping his solution to the problem of spam, I suspected this was a plan to use patents to grab control of the net. Sure enough, in 2004 Microsoft asked the IETF to approve a mail protocol that Microsoft was trying to patent. The patent license policy for this protocol was written to forbid free software entirely. No program supporting this mail protocol could be released as free software—not under the GNU GPL, or the MPL, or the Apache license, or any other.

>The IETF rejected Microsoft's protocol, but Microsoft said it would try to convince major ISPs to use it anyway. Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols anyone can implement is Communism; it was set up by that famous Communist agent, the US Department of Defense.

>With Microsoft's market clout, it can impose its choice of programming system as a de-facto standard. Microsoft has already patented some .NET implementation methods, raising the concern that millions of users have been shifted to a government-issued Microsoft monopoly.

>But Capitalism means monopoly; at least, Gates-style Capitalism does. People who think that everyone should be free to program, free to write complex software, they are Communists, says Mr. Gates. But these Communists have infiltrated even the Microsoft boardroom. Here's what Bill Gates told Microsoft employees in 1991:

>“If people had understood how patents would be granted when most of today's ideas were invented and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a complete stand-still today...A future start-up with no patents of its own will be forced to pay whatever price the giants choose to impose.”

>Mr. Gates' secret is out now—he too was a “Communist,” he too recognized that software patents were harmful, until Microsoft became one of these giants. Now Microsoft aims to use software patents to impose whatever price it chooses on you and me. And if we object, Mr. Gates will call us “Communists.”

>If you're not afraid of name calling, visit the Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure, and join the fight against software patents in Europe. We persuaded the European Parliament once—we even got support from right-wing MEPs—and with your help we will do it again.

- RMS

Attached: 1.jpg (250x221, 10K)

i often use most of my ram, so in-ram read cache only goes so far
i like how bcache batches and serializes writes, plus, having two devices means there should be a great improvement when writing and reading at the same time
as far as risks go, bcache itself is very safe, it does atomic writes and checksumming, and doesn't even know what an unclean shutdown is
it also has a few modes, two are read-only (writes go straight to the backing device, and are cached on the ssd for later reading), and the last caches writes onto the ssd, only the latter has the risk of data loss if the ssd dies (which i would have if i used the ssd normally anyway)
i figured i might as well try it, since i'm in a position where there's enough space left to be useful, but not so much that i can just put my root and home wholly on the ssd

deep water jew

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR ANDROID TO READ LUKS CONTAINERS, FUCK GOOGLE

i just want an encrypted flash drive that works in linux and android, plz help

Attached: 1536896507005.webm (1866x1080, 2.74M)

>2018
>stuttering and tearing is still a thing in Linux
just fuck my shit up sempais.

>modesetting+compton breaks vscode and chrome's rendering
>modesetting+xcompmgr causes tearing when scrolling stuff
>intel(SNA)+tearfree causes input lag in urxvt and stuttering in full screen videos in firefox
>intel(UXA)+tearfree fixes input lag and stuttering but scrolling tears

Attached: 1532890539803.png (720x590, 741K)

>in Linux
Linux is not your DE or your X server, fuckwit.

Incels need to be gased.

when i run iw dev, it returns nothing. i'm using debian and i have all firmware installed. what do? i need to set up wifi asap.

>incels
consider your own afvice, snowflake

>that webm
What did she think was going to happen when she decided to wear that?

Attached: 1395126086232.jpg (640x480, 62K)

read this, for example;
rath.org/ssd-caching-under-linux.html
even just caching the hdd volumes' metadata would improve performance of the hdd volume pretty considerably, since metadata is;
- used for everything
- small, random access (which hdd's suck at, and ssd's are great at)
- relatively small, so a small cache would cover it

This doesn't make sense. How not moaning for being a virgin makes me a snowflake?
This is not normal. I suggest you sped less time on Jow Forums.

incels are the future my dude

Attached: 1507592302588.webm (720x405, 2.41M)

no, but using snowflake terminology such as "incel" makes you one

if they dont reproduce they cant be

LGBT dont reproduce either, what of it

post linux homo

Attached: Comfie Pepe Nuke.webm (1280x720, 2.93M)

It is very normal for men to want to get right up in her fartbox. Would she be okay with him sticking his face up her ass if he wasn't filming it? Men ogle women. That is just what happens when you got an ass like that and wear little to no clothing. Only turbo perverts have the audacity to film it but everybody ogles. Especially walking up stairs behind a behind like that. You can't not if you are a male.

Is it a gopro recording or an Android phone?

>someone cannot handle criticism of their false deity

Attached: igotthewrongbottledwater.gif (240x256, 2.11M)

>someone cannot reply logically instead of furiously spouting dumb memes

Attached: stallman_laugh.png (400x300, 153K)

keked at the comment and video
It's not snowflake terminology. They call themselves that.
Not really. Incel genes could be recessive and only present a reproductive disadvantage when in pair, otherwise being quite advantageous. Such as with homosexuality.

>when the subject matter is a living walking meme what else can you cite besides factual situations in which the meme meme'd himself?

>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.

>There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>-- Linus Torvalds

@67620347
No mention to communism in his personal opinion.

>>exclusion and hatred
>"yes please don't exclude and hate the big corporations who pay me and my """foundation""" large amounts of shekels. also pay no attention to the fact that these same corporations at one point wanted to end my operating system with lawsuits, propaganda and patent trolling, ignore all of that please"

Stallman is a communist at his core.Read GPL v3 and youll find out.
Stallman would rather vilify you for having 10 lines of code not being gpl licensed then work with you on a project.Linus wouldnt give a fuck and would rather care about the quality of efficiency of the code then what it is licensed under, this is made apparent on his mailing list stallman has contributed nothing to the tech industry since 1981, and it was a fork of another persons work. Thats all he knows how to do, is modify other peoples work since he cannot innovate. This leads back to communism since he has no value and without communism he would be left out to die

@67620510

lmao you dumb shit, you obviously know nothing about the GNU project and you don't seem interested in knowing about it either so fuck off to sucking whatever opensores dick you want to

>gcc: written by entirely by stallman after tanenbaum rejected his request to use MINIX ack
>glibc: started by stallman and written by FSF developers
>gnu emacs: completely written by stallman
>gdb: completely written by stallman
>gpl: completely written by stallman
>hundreds of other GNU *nix userland tool replacements: written by stallman and others (check man pages)

Why are you selling GPL licensed code in the first place

>and you don't seem interested in knowing about it either
This is why I said don't feed the trolls.
It's obvious when someone actually wants to discuss something compared to someone who just wants to rope you into "discussion" so he can keep preaching his own views.
If he wants to preach, let him preach. You can't reason with people like that.

Windows/MacOS
> open explorer/finder
> go to directory with lots of files and subdirectories
> make new folder
> select everything and drag it into the new folder
How do I do this through the command line in bash on unix/linux

mkdir new_dir
cp -r or mv old_dir/* new_dir

cd dir_with_lots_of_files
mkdir new_folder
mv * new_folder
You'll see a message saying "cannot move new_folder into itself" but everything else will be moved inside.

Thanks I guess I was over thinking something simple

I need a mail client that can automatically download an attachment from an email.
Ideally then it would trigger a script to upload that file to an FTP location.

What would be the easiest way to do this?

I'm using manjaro for about a year and it's time to move out, I'm thinking a lot about Solus, Elementaryos or Bunsenlabs, maybe opensuse or xubuntu, arch is an option but I really didn't want to deal with rolling releases. I want something that I can use for another year without a problem, and that runs well with an old hardware (which means not gnome).

Help me, /fglt/.

OwO *sends you viruses as attachments*

He said download, not execute.

alpine support python scripting

thunderbird has a javascript API but you'll need to deal with javascript's retarded lack of proper filesystem management python's built-in mailbox module can do that for you.

if i was you i'd just write a python script to fetchmail over imap/pop, detect attachments, download and send them over. it would probably take less than 5 minutes and you could extend it further if you wanted

what problems have you had with a rolling release?

Lubuntu

Any problem at all, I just don't want to have a hundred packages to update every week.

I forgot to mention, I want to stay away from ubuntu flavors, my only exception would be xubuntu because of the desktop.

just pacman -Syu when you install something.
I really don't understand the hassle unless you're on absolute shit tier internet.

why not just use lubuntu if you're willing to use xubuntu? lxqt is much much faster than xfeces and has a cleaner overall design

>lxqt is much much faster than xfeces and has a cleaner overall design
quality argument

how the hell do I disable auto-login on xubuntu 18.04

I have it set on my user settings to ask for password at login but everytime I boot my computer it just goes right to the desktop

1. open etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
2. comment the auto login user line
3. restart lightdm or just log out so its restarted automatically
4. it should ask for password

I can't update debian. When I run apt-get update it says
Could not resolve ftp.ca.debian.org
Err ftp.ca.debian.org jessie-updates InRelease

anyone?

you need an internet connection.

-connection error
-dns issues
-dns resolver issues

[spoiler]I'm on an absolute third world tier internet.[/spoiler]

Because I'm used to the xfce desktop and xubuntu is my last option right now.

then just use debian stable.

Don't know what yumi is, but why can't you just install multiple distros on it just like you would any other type of HDD.
Figure out your partition scheme and just do it. You only need 1 GRUB of course which would be aware of all the different distros and would let you choose the one you want at startup.

says permission denied

Is it too difficult to enable media buttons (screen brightness and sound volume) and screen locking in i3? I am liking it very much but it does fuck up these (Linux Mint).

Is there a reliable, cross-platform alternative to google keep? It seens the only way is to make it myself.

Thanks! Sorry my pork english.

try it as fucking root maybe idk

I can ping though
It was dns related. When I started my VM I was on another network so my gateway was wrong. I restarted and everything works

How do I fix the bug in my body where I start breathing heavy after I climb a flight of stairs? It's embarrassing to talk to somebody while looking completely exhausted for seemingly no reason.

I'm running GNU/CisWhiteMale btw