Say something nice about it

Say something nice about it.

Attached: 306px-ISO_C++_Logo.svg.png (306x344, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cppdepend.com/blog/?p=744
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

unnecessary bloat. Go C/HolyC or go home

I think its pronounced ```
c = c+1; ```

Many cool gaym have been written in it. Can't be all bad.

It’s...
I mean...well
You know...
I can’t.
I’m sorry. I just can’t.

Sorry.

it's the 9 string guitar of coding.
might not be practical or functional but you can impress some people if you can conquer it

Attached: 1502138276049.jpg (2048x1536, 1.77M)

It was my first programming language and I almost quit programming because of it... now, that I have a deeper understanding of concepts and patterns, I cannot say this language is awesome, but I kinda like it now. Just like the strange teacher you had and didn't like in school, but began to understand in retrospective when you went to university.

it's more like the violin, it's hard, most people will never play it right, takes years to master, and it's the heart of the orchestra
the 9 string guitar is more like any of those javascript frameworks, because it's a fucking meme

oop

Is it that bad even if you just choose a subset of it and stick with it? Like John Carmac did.
cppdepend.com/blog/?p=744

You could put more books on the C stack like 21st century C and deep C secrets. . . .

found the jewscordian

Carmack later on went to regret taking that approach as using C++ as just C with classes. He admitted he only used a subset of C++ because he wasn't experienced enough. Telling people to treat C++ as C with classes is a very bad advise. Especially when you lie, using someone as an example when that person has said different things. Even more so when that person you're misquoting is someone important like Carmack.

>I sort of meandered into C++ with Doom 3 – I was an experienced C programmer with OOP background from NeXT’s Objective-C, so I just started writing C++ without any proper study of usage and idiom. In retrospect, I very much wish I had read Effective C++ and some other material. A couple of the other programmers had prior C++ experience, but they mostly followed the stylistic choices I set.

>I mistrusted templates for many years, and still use them with restraint, but I eventually decided I liked strong typing more than I disliked weird code in headers. The debate on STL is still ongoing here at Id, and gets a little spirited. Back when Doom 3 was started, using STL was almost certainly not a good call, but reasonable arguments can be made for it today, even in games.

My bad ten, is this something I overlooked in the article, or do you have this from some outher source?

It's from a different source. Carmack is pretty active online, very interesting programmer.

What you save in reading you more than make up for in writing. Your loss.

i like it

it’s fucking huge and complicated
since learning is fun that’s good

There are a lot of quality of life improves me to appreciate if you're coming off C++98 to C++11 or 14 or even 17 if you can get it. The type system has gone off the rails and you can twist your head in knots with C++'s TMP antics.

The STL feels like it is going sideways. For all the stuff they add, a lot of it seems only practical for library writers.

Nice that they're finally addressing linkage and export issues that have almost always been compiler or system dependent.

Lack of modern support for web and other platform development is kind of dissappointing. CppCMS is cute but impractical. Microsoft's C++ REST framework still seems half baked at best.

Attached: 1450845197215.png (277x210, 96K)

It's not (just) C.
Some of the committee members are old enough to be dead soon enough to die soon enough, so they won't repeat their blatant design mistakes.
Barney Starsoup recognized that language design took the wrong decision when adding too many toys instead of dealing with the hard, overall problems like modules from day 1.

Go is pretty comfy

You mean ++C

its kind of fast

It's a good brainlet filter.

>Lack of modern support for web and other platform development is kind of dissappointing
>muh one language for everything

Honestly, it seems like they're looking at C# and deciding to backport the obvious stuff, not to say that's a bad thing.

Even for modern back end stuff, C++ has been left in the dust for the most part.

templates

deterministic resource management with intuitive, trivial to use tools (smart pointers), rendering garbage collection unnecessary

I can actually build useful things with it fairly quickly.

>Honestly, it seems like they're looking at C# and deciding to backport the obvious stuff, not to say that's a bad thing.
That's not a total loss, but fragmented metaprogramming is one major weakness C# has, too. All that unnecessary frameworking and runtime configuration...
>Even for modern back end stuff, C++ has been left in the dust for the most part.
I don't see why you even would attempt to do backend stuff in a system programming language. That's what RAD languages are for, after all.
Same applies to Rust.

>That's what RAD languages are for, after all.
Y'know what? I actually agree with you. It seems like they're trying to pile in enough stuff into C++ to get it to the point where it is usable for that. Modern RAD tools are better for it, but it still seems like they have a very limited shelf life; maybe that isn't a bad thing.

It's not Python

>Modern RAD tools are better for it, but it still seems like they have a very limited shelf life;
Or they aren't even there, after all Nim and Crystal are unfinished and golang hasn't transitioned joke state. And .NET and the Java platform are made by hostile agressors that are known to neglect their shit after some decades.
>maybe that isn't a bad thing.
Probably true, it's nice to know you have job security to port another trivial shit to the next bling niche thing. They never learn.

>have job security to port another trivial shit to the next bling niche thing
I was thinking more about the opportunity for force businesses to throw old shit away. They will use the same old crap from 1998 if they think they can get away it. Seems like a lot of modern frameworks twist the arms of everybody on major version changes just for force the business tards not to be lax about keeping up.

Truth to be told the new stuff doesn't necessarily with actual advantages. Either milking companies for using that legacy thing or letting them pay the betatesting; I'm fine with both. tbqh

I think its main problem is that the things it expanded on weren't really things that C ever needed to improve in the first place.

sooner or later it is going to be replaced with Rust

Attached: 1200px-Rust_programming_language_black_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 56K)

Another language can do what it does better in nearly every case

Rust has not even a slight chance of ever being a replacement to C++. It doesn't even cover all of what C++ can do.

like what?

You misspelled Jai and posted a random logo.

Apply yourself

I never had to use it. Pretty based.

It's quick and it has very nice generic programming features.

multiple inheritance

I never have any problems with it. Built multiple commercial programs and I am very happy.

I guess you can learn it to get a job since most people focus on Java/C#/Python and their application in webdev nowadays and C++ devs are still needed in some areas.