Is it safe to have gapps on your phone? How much does Google spy phones...

Is it safe to have gapps on your phone? How much does Google spy phones? The only reason I keep them is because of apps like tinder that need play services.

Attached: gsuite-5a65039a9e94270036c0b411.jpg (768x432, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microg.org
breitbart.com/tech/2018/02/08/tucker-investigation-android-phones-track-you-even-when-disconnected-or-in-flight-mode/
liliputing.com/2018/09/e-is-an-android-based-smartphone-os-stripped-of-googles-proprietary-components.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tinder
Go to hell normalfaggot. We don't need your kind here. Maybe an iPhone will be more suitable for your needs?

>How much does Google spy phones?
I've caught my phone sending data in the middle of the night with the plane mode activated...

>Is it safe to have gapps on your phone?
No

Everything

It spies on you but it uses that information to direct your life in a direction that is suited to your needs and possibly unfuck your shit.

Yes
100%
Doesn't matter, as both smartphone OS vendors are data brokers/adware companies.
You have a smartphone == you're spied on.

That bad huh? What do you guys do when you want an app that requires play services?

Even on custom roms like lineage?

If you're worried about privacy, get an iPhone. If you're REALLY worried about privacy, get a prepaid Nokia.

Its probably pretty safe to assume Google is stealing all your data no matter what you do.

It's both unsafe and harms your battery life. No useful apps need them.

Possible.

>What do you guys do when you want an app that requires play services?
I haven't found such an app yet.

If you flash gapps sure, no idea why would you want to do that though.

>If you're worried about privacy, get an iPhone
(You)

I press the OK button and use the application. It's just a warning, not a requirement. Botnet functionality will be disabled but I consider it a bonus.

You can't have a 100% free and open build with 100% free and open firmware and hardware, right?

another one
I can expand my battery's life trading all gapps for FOSS alternatives?

this is why i only buy chinese phones

>It's just a warning, not a requirement
On some apps such as Photomath and Google Translate it's a requirement, if you press OK then the app force closes.
I just went back to a previous version without mandatory gapps shit and they work fine.

Same. At least with Chinese botnet you can block the entire country.

whats wrong with google spying on you OP? they are usually looking for pedophiles and animal abusers.

other than that yes Gapps is safe to use so enjoy your botnet.

microg.org

An overpriced iShit phone isn't the answer, mApple gives info to the feds and advertisers.

Google is clever enough to hide something deep in Android in theory, but I figure for business reasons [of business outside the USA where nothing every happens, eh] they might not have done that for their own purposes.

I think custom ROMs are safe enough - if there's something obvious that has been missed in the code, anyone can talk about the respective code with any/all of the open sauce projects and they'll largely/all remove it.

How do you disable the persistent warning message?

Google spies a fair amount.
I suggest not installing GApps, but if you do, at least go through the settings and try to minimize the damage.
The least you can do is disable all the permissions for Play services, pic rel.

Attached: google-play-service-permissions.jpg (600x434, 47K)

>How much does Google spy phones? There's no way to reliable quantify this. Google (but also Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, etc) are not transparent in how far their spyware reaches.

Are you retarded?

Attached: 1498343801586.jpg (600x663, 62K)

Google translate doesn't even show a warning, it works straight away. Google maps shows a warning but works fine.
I press OK and it closes. If it annoys you this much there's an xposed module to hide it an all apps at once or you can use lucky patcher for individual apps.

Attached: Screenshot_20180916-110031.png (1080x1920, 92K)

>Google translate doesn't even show a warning, it works straight away.
For me it FCs with the latest version, 5.21.0 seems to be the last one that works without gapps.

now try translating something with the camera

Never had any problems with it and I've been going gapps-less since 2015.

Attached: Screenshot_20180916-110830.png (1080x1920, 128K)

Custom camera apps don't even show a warning. I'm downloading Photomath now since claimed it doesn't work.

Ironically, many Chinese devices have good custom ROM support and you don't have to settle for any pre-installed data mining software.

Well it didn't work, not even after patching. Why does a math app need a snapchat login?

Attached: Screenshot_20180916-111401.png (1080x1920, 207K)

>custom camera
wut
i mean the one within google translate, i get a crash too on lineage when i try to translate something by taking a photo of the text

?

Attached: Screenshot_20180916-111551.png (1080x1920, 2.71M)

yeah now take a photo of some text and let it translate
if it works for you then dunno, my shit's fubar with the latest version but at least 5.21 works

Just found some text, yeah it crashed. I've never used it so I didn't know.

Attached: Screenshot_20180916-112020.png (1080x1920, 97K)

Instant translation works though.

Attached: Screenshot_20180916-112414.png (1080x1920, 1.91M)

Thanks.

Depends. If you don't need many location based services and aren't normie then you don't need it. You can just have yalp store and install the apps but many apps which are play service dependent won't run. Tinder in your case.

How much does Google spy phones?
Oh boi you are on Jow Forums. To answer yes, their revenue is data collection so what do you expect?

The only reason I keep them is because of apps like tinder that need play services.
Yeah, play services alternative is MicroG. Look into that if you are not going to use opengapps.

My only gapps are school agenda and a snapseed, so I'm not that worried.

That's spooky.

Attached: 1519357454403.jpg (447x329, 23K)

Install MicroG.

I've tried microg other apps crash others keep asking for play services anyway

they spy quite a lot
breitbart.com/tech/2018/02/08/tucker-investigation-android-phones-track-you-even-when-disconnected-or-in-flight-mode/

how did you catch it?
does it connect to your wifi or send to local cell tower?

liliputing.com/2018/09/e-is-an-android-based-smartphone-os-stripped-of-googles-proprietary-components.html

just install google play crap onto a crappy tablet, to be honest you should not have any closed source apps on your phone, I'm more worried about what third party apps can do, google would get in a lot of trouble if they got caught doing something too fishy and have lots of eyes keeping watch over them

apple and nokia are not much diff

just move homes every 6 months and change your wifi details

even worse

what I really want is google translate offline, gmaps offline and text to speech, the rest aren't useful to me

I bought a Leagoo M8 from Aliexpress and it had an unremovable "Chromes" spyware app based on the triada virus and had to flash another rom to get rid of it

>gmaps offline
Why don't you just use Osmand?