Are PowerPC Macs a practical alternative to the x86 botnet?

Are PowerPC Macs a practical alternative to the x86 botnet?

Attached: 343F4C03-6689-4F78-8718-872896452D00.jpg (4032x3024, 1.93M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6SqYMU81l8Y
tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2014/04/long-life-computing-plus-quad-g5-cpu.html
ebay.com/itm/Xerox-Apple-Splash-G620-Color-Server-Fiery-for-Xerox-Docucolor-12-/263665893741?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c20#viTabs_0
raptorcs.com/content/TLSDS3/intro.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=6SqYMU81l8Y

>macshit
Found your botnet.

I use a dual 1.33GHz PowerMac G4 FireWire 800 as my desktop and a 1.42GHz iBook G4 as my laptop. Running Leopard and Debian respectively.
I'd say they are on the verge of tolerable. The desktop even plays low profile 1080p just fine, so there's that.

The quads are garbage. Old liquid coolers sound like a leak waiting to happen. I’d be interested in one of the air cooled dual cores.

I’m surprised the PowerBook is usable with Debian. How is driver support?

I spent about a week's worth of time seeing if I could make my quad-core PPC Mac Pro a viable main machine
The answer is no, OP, and I tried a lot of things. First off, these things are insane power hogs (interestingly, they draw more power when turned off than when in sleep mode, makes for an interesting read) and are loud as fuck, even at idle. Next, if you have an nVidia card, forget about using any newish Linux distro you can find that still supports PowerPC. Not even Debian supports POWER4 anymore. So if you use an older Debian or Ubuntu with the nVidia card, xorg is just fucking busted - regression in their drivers. Tried replacing with a compatible ATI card and it wouldn't even boot.
Even if you do have an ATI card that works and don't care about the insane noise and power consumption and an old Linux kernel/distro, you run into the problem of packages. Debian/Ubuntu have only a fraction of their packages available for PowerPC and support is only getting worse.
If you REALLY want to go down this route, let me save you some time. You have one of three options, all will require building most of your shit from source: Gentoo, FreeBSD and OpenBSD. OpenBSD is out of the question if you have an nVidia card and I don't think wifi will work at all since the Mac Pros use Broadcom wireless cards. FreeBSD will work, provided the shit you want to install actually builds correctly - and that is a toss up because the number of people using PPC in the FreeBSD community testing these packages is dwindling. I haven't tried Gentoo.

Attached: 1531742429893.gif (380x380, 1.18M)

I am Quad cores are definitely not garbage. The problem is finding one in good condition - meaning without any leaks and lightly used. The performance increase is very noticeable over the dual-cores. Reliability is problem long-term on the quads for sure though, but we're talking years of constant use.
Interesting tidbit: the liquid cooling hardware in the quads was made by a defunct car parts manufacturer in Detroit.

>PowerBook
Not a PowerBook. You'd think I'm being pedantic about naming schemes, but let me explain:
>How is driver support?
Everything* works perfectly fine, hell, even the wireless card works better than in OS X because 10.5 has a bug where if you install more than 1GiB of memory in the machine the card driver will make it lock up randomly. No such thing on Debian.
*However, there's no 3D acceleration. Something to do with KMS not being fully portable and using some retarded x86-centric code which can't deal with the dual endianness of G4 systems. 2D and video acceleration work perfectly, however. This is also why I use an iBook instead of a PowerBook. Nvidia driver support for ppc is literally nonexistant because of Nvidia being Nvidia. You can only use the vesa framebuffer driver, which means no acceleration of any kind. 12" PowerBooks have an nvidia card and 15" and up (which have Radeons) are just too big to be considered portable by me.
TL;DR:
Got so butthurt you have an nvidia card and can't run Linux you just think the machines are shit. Did you even flash the ATi card with an OpenFirmware ROM before shoving it into the machine? I would guess not since you just called your G5 a Mac Pro.

If you're retarded, sure

they never were

Attached: 1517233974735.png (614x578, 492K)

Yes. I've used a lot of PowerPC machines and they are still viable today. Your best options for an OS are Mac OS, Debian, and OpenBSD. I use an iMac G5 as my main PC. Roccat is a good browser in Mac OS, and you can get a great deal of software, like text browsers, email clients, music players, irc clients etc. with MacPorts. I don't see any need to "upgrade".

Sounds nice, so 1080p YouTube streaming is no problem? Pretty much all I want is YouTube and shitposting

Thanks for the correction. I did flash the ATI card with both OFW and the last available official drivers to no avail. I also returned the card for an identical one from the seller to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue.
Even if you have a functional graphics card, last time I checked there are no distros with active PowerPC support - any suggestions? Has the landscape changed since a few months ago?

Attached: 1503171322547.jpg (977x1488, 155K)

Thanks for the thoughtful response, my dude. The current state of PowerPC Linux sounds like a fucking mess. I’ll keep my sanity, and keep fiddling with old x86 hardware, I guess. It’s really too bad, a lot of the power pc era Apple stuff had excellent build quality, and truly gave the saying “think different” some meaning.

>macshit
LMAO
enjoy your defunct trash platform botnet

Attached: 1509691032748.png (586x948, 149K)

>so 1080p YouTube streaming is no problem?
I'm sure he meant video playback. I just download anything I want to watch with youtube-dl and watch it in VLC. Youtube playback is awful and the youtube clients are all dead and/or don't work.

How weird. Which card was it? x850?
>Has the landscape changed since a few months ago?
Hell yes it has. A ton more people have flocked over to ppc machines since the whole Intlel swiss cheese CPUs thing was discovered. Me included. Debian ppc got active support via Debian-ports, and Adèlie Linux is now a thing.
Not in the browser, but VLC and CorePlayer make light work of it. I've yet to see if a modern version of mpv will build on Leopard using gcc6 or something.

>Adèlie Linux
Have you used this yet? I haven't tried yet, but I do have a CD burned.

It depends on what you do, I guess. My 2.3DC G5 can handle probably 95% of my usual computer usage, the only things I really miss on it are native clients for newer instant messaging/streaming media services, but I can use my phone or a remote Linux system for those so it doesn't really bother me a ton.
It also runs pretty hot, but I think it needs a good repasting more than anything.
tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2014/04/long-life-computing-plus-quad-g5-cpu.html
The shitty ones that leaked all over were the systems in the earlier DP 2.5/2.7, most I've read about the Quad says their cooler reliability is generally pretty great, while apparently the dual-core models have power supply issues. I don't know about that, I've got two 2.0DCs and my aforementioned 2.3DC and both run pretty alright, but I live in a pretty dry climate where this kind of shit tends to last forever.

Not yet. I'm waiting until I get a 64GB SSD for the iBook, which will come after I finish doing some ridiculous upgrades to a beige desktop G3. I'm spending way too much on this goddamn thing just to make a couple videos.

Attached: IMG_20180903_132819.jpg (2560x1920, 2.06M)

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Thanks for the reply brother, I didn't know about Debian getting ports support and have never heard of Adelie. Might try both of those and see if the nVidia driver regression was fixed.
The ATI cards I tried were the X850 XT and the X1900 GT. Still have the X850 if you have any suggestions.

Attached: 1535983871798.jpg (640x426, 215K)

Wrong board.

Attached: 1522790879252.png (400x1650, 367K)

Where are you posting the videos?

>Still have the X850 if you have any suggestions.
Try using some PCIe power splitters (I'm assuming you're the guy with the Quadro FX4500) and booting with both your Nvidia card in the x16 slot and the x850 in another, and fire up ATI Multi Flasher with the x850 ROM, see if it gets picked up and you can flash it that way.

I don't know if this is really too on-topic, but have any powerbookfags ITT had luck with fixing dents in these shitty aluminum cases beyond total bottom case replacement?

I picked up a fucking 1.5 GHz 12'' for $5 from my enabler and the corners look so awful I'm dying inside.

Attached: YCUABfM.jpg (1000x751, 161K)

This. I had a Mac G4 back in the late 90's, and that thing was a slow piece of shit even then.

On my youtube channel, ITTFami. Sorry if this is considered spam.
>all dem ports doe
I've heard you can disassemble the things and hammer them back into shape from the inside.

Attached: aee9a7b4-42fb-49e7-8b6d-4bb5d029a9a1.jpg (720x540, 56K)

My 500 MHz Sawtooth is pretty good, shouldn't have cheaped out on a Yikes! like you undoubtedly did.

Yep that's me, thanks for this suggestion, haven't heard it before and will give it a go tomorrow. Do you have a distro you recommend? Last I knew Debian was the best "supported"

>macshit sodacan trash
>fix
lmao

>shouldn't have cheaped out on a Yikes! like you undoubtedly did.
Huh? I don't know what you're saying, but it was a top of the line, custom ordered model. My uncle bought it for his store and gave it to me almost immediately. It had a weird Xerox emblem on it.I believe it was part of a huge printer system package because he ran an art studio.

I'd like to personally thank all Yikes! buyers for making ZIF G4 upgrades for G3s a lot easier to obtain. If it weren't for some guy in Bulgaria which was selling a 400MHz module out of a Yikes! as "gold or scrap" for €10, I wouldn't have been able to upgrade my beige to a G4.
I've only tried Debian so far, but I'd give Adèlie a whirl first. It looks really good. By the way, back when I told you to shove a modern card in the machine, I might have forgotten to tell you you still need an OFW compatible card installed for booting. Linux will use it as a boot console too, and once Xorg kicks in it should start on the modern AMD card.
What year was this? Because I don't think Apple sold custom branded machines after Jobs came back in 1997.

Attached: It's a beige G3.png (1280x960, 1.41M)

>What year was this? Because I don't think Apple sold custom branded machines after Jobs came back in 1997.
I don't remember exactly, but it was a G4.

OpenBSD runs pretty well on my PowerBook G4.

Attached: openbsd.jpg (1280x853, 260K)

Holy shit, I went looking for one and I found this: ebay.com/itm/Xerox-Apple-Splash-G620-Color-Server-Fiery-for-Xerox-Docucolor-12-/263665893741?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c20#viTabs_0
For a minute I thought this may have been mine because the seller is from one town over from me, and I just threw mine out a week or two ago.

I had a poopie old iMac and FreeBSD was the only thing that would install on it.

On further inspection, IT IS MY OLD MAC! I put that sticker on it and the scuff is from the bed of my brother in laws pick up truck when he helped me move.Holy shit, what a small world.

The first G4s shipped in 1999, and believe me, they were very fucking fast machines for the time. In fact, imoorting them to the US was banned by the Department of Defense because they were the first personal computers to reach 1GFLOP, which got them officially classified as "supercomputers". Funnily enough, the same thing happened with the PlayStation 2.
Which color was it? Desktop or minitower? Did it have handles?
Damn, that's extremely cool. How's GPU acceleration?
HOLY SHIT I forgot about those, I recently had to make a custom PSU for a newer revision which used an MDD as a base.
By the way, here's the upgrades I've done to the beige G3 so far:
>G4 CPU
>maxed out ram
>10/100 ethernet
>Combo USB/SATA (flashable and bootable)/firewire card
>Radeon 7000 PCI, waiting on a 9250 right now
>bluetooth via a modified internal module from an Intel Mac Mini, connected to the internal USB port in the card
>combo drive out of an MDD
Coming soon:
>SATA SSD
>Leopard
>brand new MPC7410 reflowed into the old G3 ZIF card, along with faster cache, so I can take it to 550MHz, 600MHz if I'm lucky
Keep in mind this is a computer from 1997.

Attached: Picture 1.png (1280x960, 278K)

this is a legit retro thread you samefaging retard

I was just throwing out a ballpark assumption that you had one of the entry-level Yikes! models that were pretty much just the previous generation blue/white G3 with a factory G4 upgrade and graphite skins. I can't imagine they were all that mind-blowing. I don't even know what I'd assume now, I've never heard of Xerox OEMing anything other than Suns for their big document processing systems so that could either be an entry-level or high-end, the fact that someone would just rip the controller out of a brand new system they probably paid five figures or more for is pretty confusing to me too, what did he replace it with?
Nice, do you remember the configuration at all?

>Which color was it? Desktop or minitower? Did it have handles?
It's literally the exact one in the ebay link. Someone must have trash picked it from my local dump.My wife is laughing her ass off about it.

>How's GPU acceleration?
For me, with ATI, it's fine. But Nvidia is a different story.

>Nice, do you remember the configuration at all?
No,sadly I don't.I might still have the owners manual around here somewhere. I'll post back if I find it.

>t. mactoddler

You could literally buy a core 2 duo for $50 or some amd phenom which would be better than that trash. Why use it. Sell it to a faggot and get a real PC.

Definitely post it if you do, It doesn't seem super high-end since there's no SCSI controller, but I wouldn't think they'd throw something destitute like a 350 in there either.

Wish me luck, lads.

Attached: 1400c.jpg (993x704, 44K)

see

If you're actually serious: raptorcs.com/content/TLSDS3/intro.html

Fixed.

Attached: brds.png (457x1645, 350K)

Yeah, goyim, don't be a Faggot(TM) and waste your time on some of the fastest, most aesthetically pleasing and most desirable RISC desktops in existence, get a Real PC(TM) like a generic backdoored core 2 shitbox someone fished out of a dumpster to put on eBay at 10x markup. It plays video games better!

>using computers to "play video games"
disgusting

Too bad those pieces of overpriced shit are practically just a PC with a different sticker on the front. Boring.

...ITTFAMI REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What the hell happened to that thing? Looks like a machine from a developing nation or something

RISC-V is you way out from the botnet, it even has linux support

I like your stuff.
Consider a better camera.

I have a few PowerPC machines. They're alright depending on what you want to do with them. For very basic web browsing (no JS heavy sites, 480p YouTube videos) and for stuff like office software or as a server they can work well enough. I recommend OpenBSD, NetBSD, or a Linux distro that supports PowerPC still.

But in the long run are they an alternative to x86? No, they aren't. They're becoming increasingly rare and parts are harder and harder to find. They just aren't made anymore. If you want a real x86 alternative then I'd suggest looking into getting a machine that's still being produced. So, if you're willing to toss a few thousand at it you can get a Talos II POWER9 machine. That's pretty much the best non-x86 hardware you can get right now, but it's pretty pricey. You could also settle for a Raspberry Pi or similar ARM SBC. Most of them are entirely free except for the video drivers, which I don't personally see as a huge drawback. It's not nearly as bad as a second computer that has ring 0 access like the IME or PSP that does DMA and shit. Current POWER and ARM machines will also have a lot more software available so you aren't compiling every little thing. There's also RISC-V to look out for but it's in its baby stages right now and isn't mature enough for desktop use. It's still stuck in the $1000 dev board phase, so it'll probably take a year or two or more to become usable.

Pushed in corners can't be fixed but that pic you posted of the bent optical drive trim can be fixed easily. Take a paper towel and fold it so that you have at least four layers and place it on top. Then get a small framing hammer and gently tap it until you've reshaped the bent metal.

Attached: enhanced-mid-29607-1445980104-1.jpg (500x499, 57K)

>They're becoming increasingly rare
>commodity machine shit out in the millions
>rare

I should've specified that the good ones are becoming rare. You can get 1GHz G4 trash by the truckload.

U wot
Thank you!
It's the awful kit lens I'm using plus the absolute lack of lighting.
I should get an adapter for my glorious nippon Hexanon prime lenses. While they lack autofocus, they should allow me to close them 1-2 stops more due to them actually passing some light through, unlike the 18-55 POS I'm using right now. Should solve the focus problem.

Attached: RIP you glorious mofo.jpg (2560x1920, 2.09M)