Would a 256 or 512 GB Micro SD Card work with an older phone like a Samsung Galaxy S5?

Would a 256 or 512 GB Micro SD Card work with an older phone like a Samsung Galaxy S5?

Attached: 122935m5l0v600s2n0566z.jpg (3264x2444, 840K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what do you need all of that space for?

If your answer is "I have 200gb of music and want to carry it all with me" then I salute you and say go for it, but if your music collection isn't that big, then don't bother with anything more than a 64gb card. It'll be more than enough for you.

gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php
>microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)

Movies, apps, games, tons of music.

I still can't fit my movie, music and book collection on a micro SD card. It's so depressing.

its a software limit, so it could work.

> Not mounting a remote folder on your phone.

Yes. Just format the SD to exFat.

Should work up to 2TB since it already supports SDXC.

I kinda have to agree with this user, I have several TBs worth of data (music and movies mainly) on my home server, I don't understand the people that need massive amounts of storage on a phone, sure more storage is always better but still.

That's exactly it. More storage is better.

if you put too big a card in a phone that can't handle it, you'll lose all its contents, due to auto formatting. thread carefully

Is there a way to turn off auto formatting?

Well, I download movies to my phone to watch, and I like converting videos on my phone too. 64GB is too little to have GameCube and Wii ISO's.

For someone who does media transcoding and console emulation, 64GB isn't enough.

>mfw half the people in this thread belong in that data hoarding plebbit

Is Class 10 the fastest speed micro SD cards run at?

Is there better performance by brand name?

For the past year been using a 16GB Class 3 Kingston micro SD card on my phone.

It's possible to connect fat32/ntfs formatted usb drives to android phones, although it's a less elegant solution for obvious reasons, the usb drives are easily reusable for other purposes.

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 4K)

And there's no sort of capacity limit like there seems to be/is with a Micro SD Card?

Yes it is possible, my S5, Tab S, and Note 8 all can do it

Although, SSD or 2.5" HDD based drives are mostly ok, 3.5" and high speed 2.5" disks are not usable due to the power draw

If the drive is getting energy from another source then they all work

Attached: 1536635635330.jpg (800x675, 37K)

Biggest I've tried is some $30 chink 256gb usb drive. Limit should thoretically be the same as sdcards. However you can easily swap usb drives since it's external, unlike microsd. I use an app from Paragon to mount the drive. Basically it's just inserting the drive and clicking one or two buttons.

The S5 only supports up to 128GB SDs, 256GB are listed in some places but they don't work

I clicked the wrong pic lol

FYI, was tested on my Galaxy Note 5.

thanks doc

It was listed as having support up to 128GB because that was the largest card available at the time. 128GB falls under the SDXC standard which ranges from 64GB to 2TB. Samsung has pulled a reversal and now advertises the maximum possible capacity even though there are no 2TB cards out yet. My Note 3 took my 128GB card until I upgraded to an S8 Active.
tldr, it should work since it supports SDXC and tangentially related anecdotal experience

So ignore what and are saying?

yes
good answer. i'm using 128gb in a device which doesn't support exfat, so i just formatted it as fat32.