Why did the zune fail?

Attached: zune-story.jpg (1098x822, 54K)

Microsoft couldn’t sell it on a subscription basis yet.

Did you ever use one? It was retarded and cost the same as the already established iPod.

It didn't fail, they were good as hell and were around for a long time.

Phones.

Proprietary software that was garbage. Lack of marketing, and originally they were very thick and entirely plastic. The Zune 2 should have been what they released to begin with.

Apple already had a lock on content distribution and Microsoft made enemies out of the remaining hardware makers. It wasn't going to win no matter how hard they tried.

Attached: 1433540856662.jpg (603x625, 102K)

i just realized the zune logo is a 3d wireframe of a Z

because it didn't succeed

mk1 was brown and the zune hd was too much like a phone

the second gen 120s where great
I had one and i've had many ipods.

The zune 120 compared to a classic
>custom backgrounds in the player
>nicer font
>much larger nicer screen for artwork
>more aesthetic ui
>just really nice to use and look at
>really well designed all round
>sounds equally as good
>decent battery life
>touch button was faster and superior to a scroll wheel
>more screen space
>equally well built, metal back
>zune player was good, and the idea to be able to wirelessly share tracks between zunes for 3 listens and then mark them to buy was clever, zune marketplace was clever, but the adoption wasn't wide enough so all of that functionality fell flat
>just too proprietary for an uncommon device, cable, player, etc
here was my favourite feature;
>when you click on a track it doesn't play it, it gives you the option to play, share, or add to a playlist. So you can build playlists on the player while using it. I can do that on my fiio x1 and you can do it on ipods, but you had to be listening to a track to add it to a playlist.
and least favourite;
>you couldn't use it as an external storage device. even a fucking ipod could do that

of all my ipods, a creative zen and fiio, the zune 120 was my favourite pmp

Attached: zune-120-unboxing_medium.jpg (575x385, 137K)

I loved my zune, smartphones kind of replaced music players. Even ipods are dead.

i'm not disagreeing with you, but about half of your points were completely subjective

Because it had a stupid fucking name

some of them were actually decent. the problem is smartphones made the whole thing obsolete.

Because trying to compete with the already well established ipod was like trying to compete with ford and the model t.

I loved mine, but the fact that I had to keep a windows XP VM just for it was bullshit
to this day you still need the prorietary software to put music on it, and if you're into that kinda thing you would just buy an ipod classic anyway.
As usual, microshit has a semi-decent idea for a product and absolutely butchers the exectution.
That being said, since 2016 there have been pretty great chink options for high quality PMPs

Attached: 1484946791559.png (924x560, 48K)

I had one, it was fantastic. Here's why it died though;
There were something like 20 apps total for it unlike the iPod touch of the time.
It was locked to using the Zune software so that was your only way to put anything on it.
Lastly, it was far too late to the game to ever catch up.

I had a 64 GB Zune HD and I loved that thing, but someone stole it out of my car in the early 2010s

Microsoft got butthurt being #2 and so they quit!

for a massively bloated music player, zune player was great. It was a good competitor to itunes

it had a pretty ui and it was easy to use

Attached: full-player.jpg (640x444, 30K)

the now playing screen that slowly changed colour and between tiles of your artwork was cool

Attached: fef3737c-3a17-4248-bfc0-dcc8c180ce45_3_full.jpg (1275x850, 246K)

The software works on Win10 just fine

>installing winshit on bare metal

...oh holy shit that's pretty cool

I still use Zune player

only 1 USB
dont have stylus
rejected