Gaming an linux

So I know a lot of you will be triggered on Jow Forums however I think linux and Jow Forums need to have a pre-made answer to all gamers talking about playing games.

Save this and copy past if someone starts saying something like
>I will not use linux because it has no games

I run linux mint and the cinnamon desktop is beautiful the video players integrate themselves like a dream.
Meanwhile windows keeps on butchering itself in every version (did you know windows file viewer lost the ability to display animated GIFs after XP?).

I also game however I don't see the need to keep my files in the strange game boot loader named windows.
This concept is not that strange to understand.
Windows is like a game console you don't keep your personal files and web brows on your N64 you keep them on the real computer.
N64 for gaming computer for files.
Now replace N64 with windows computer and you have the same thing.

So I basically have 2 computers one for gaming and one for my data.
They are next to one another and its super comfy, while waiting for a match in dota or quake champions (and you know the waiting time can be 10+ minutes and the loading) or whatever game I can simply web brows or play some music on my work computer.

Some will say that its super expensive to have 2 computers however its really not
my game computer was $1000 and my work computer was about $420 the most expensive thing is the graphics card for gaming. If you don't buy stupid shit like RGB fans you are golden.

Some will ask is this not a waist? No its not considering that my 2 computers have 16 GiB of RAM and the web browser often eats 8 GiB or other workloads take up RAM its nice to have a separate computer where the RAM is independent and dedicated to gaming.

The other solution is to dual boot etc however i needed my work computer to run multiple days in a row so its better for me. I dual booted before however I changed and made a dedicated computer for linux only.

No regrets, your opinion Jow Forums ?

Attached: 017111515363.png (540x587, 436K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Kz0TOQ1BF-M
youtu.be/AJg7zgq6VjI
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rsync
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What? No I won't copypaste your shilling message around.

>No I won't copypaste your shilling message around.
Then you are a enemy of the GNU revolution!

im thinking of installing Linux as my main gaming os every game I want to play is on steam and should be supported by that porton thing. don't use battle.net or origin or Bethesda net so it should be simple.

thinking of making a little 2.5inch HDD trayless bay floppy drive thing and having windows on my oldest SSD and just plugging it in to the trayless bay when I want to pirate some thing.

im sure I could pirate stuff on Linux as well but I guess its more effort to get the crack working and then find a wine wrapper for it etc.

So your solution for "gaming on linux" is having a separate windows computer to play games on?

They all work normal, only Holdfast has to have specidfic launch setting in Steam to to force Proton to use older DX to render player body textures, game is in alpha though.

Attached: Microsoft Kubuntu2.png (1920x1080, 2.44M)

>is having a separate windows computer to play games on?
Yes.
Before this I was dual booting however when I need to have linux running for days and because 90% of the RAM is occupied by tasks its better to simply get another computer.

Want me to sing you a song?
I actualy have 3 computers who are seriously used:
1) Linux
2) Gaming (you know this part)
3) XP for operating hardware.

The XP computer is there because I need XP to run software that only runs in XP to get access to some hardware and we are talking manufacturer dropped support for the software after XP.
Not Vista not 7 not 8 not 10 only compatible with windows XP.

Take the bitching of
>Vista is not supporting my X
and multiply this by 10.

This is not a problem if I need to use the scaner or get video from my camera I simply walk over to the XP PC its disconnected from the internet so no real problems.

The XP thing will be there as long as I have all this equipment.
I see nothing wrong with this.
Its the norm in the computer world everyone else who disagrees can cry when Vista is not supporting X or when 10 is not supporting X.

The main point here is that there is no contradiction between using linux for serious tasks and gaming on windows. So all arguments about muh exclusive games or software are invalid.

Hey lets make this a linux gaming thread someone post that one picture explaining how to game on linux using a windows VM and pass thru, requires 2 monitors and 2 graphic cards.

So tell u your gaming on linux story?
Where there any problems?
Old games?
Battle.net bullshit?

Do you play games nativity in linux or wine?

Yeah, this is probably the dumbest meme running. You end up needing nearly the same amount of hardware as two computers,with only half the CPU capacity available to the host and guest. Just buy a dedicated gaming machine and a machine to run Linux on. There's no way around it if you're one of these people who obsess over gaming performance. I don't game anymore, but I do have a Windows computer dedicated to running little more than software defined radio applications.Linux is good enough for everything else these days.

I play world of warcraft and league of legends on arch linux with wine + dxvk/vulkan
I even get slightly better frames than I used to in windows10

True and I advocate for actually getting a gaming computer for the reasons you wrote.
Only I did not save the meme picture and I need it for my collection.

>I even get slightly better frames than I used to in windows10
>windows10

This is because win10 has a entire ultra framework running to psychologically analyse every action you take, every button you press.

probably, but I would have even accepted a performance loss if it meant not having to deal with windows bloat+botnet
I'm really happy I made the switch, I don't have windows installed on any of my hardware anymore

>botnet
This is the main reason why I'm not running win10 only win7 on the gaming PC.
>but I would have even accepted a performance loss
Same here there are more important things then what OS runs this game with a extra 0.00001% FPS more.
>not having to deal with windows bloat
You have to explain this to me. What do you mean under bloat?

You have to realize most of these people are addicts and all it will take is that *one game* to not work, and it's stuck on Windows for them.

>addicts
I mean at this point I think they need intervention and professional help.
In like terminal shut in meats retardation.

For them not to go with my solution is like saying
>I will never use a computer because I can not play Mario on it!
Yes and no one is demanding you throw your gameboy away you can still use the gameboy and play Mario on it while using the computer for internet and watching videos and music and audio and personal files.

Like how is that even a argument?
I mean the windows DE is seriously torture at this point and on the same level like wanting to write on a gameboy and not the computer.
Fun fact the first e-book was for the game boy and you can write in it in the search function.
youtu.be/Kz0TOQ1BF-M
youtu.be/AJg7zgq6VjI

Attached: $_32.jpg (235x409, 17K)

I just tried Ubuntu and KDE recently, and it's just not as easy or intuitive as windows.

Linux's biggest problem:
No system restore function.
This means I can't actually mess around and try to learn things without using a third party imaging program.

In fact, I was on KDE, and updated my Nvidia drivers to 390, and the uninstall of the old drivers managed to fuck my sound, The drivers were still there, Alsa and Pulse Audio were still there. Nothing was muted, but no sound played.

I tried troubleshooting it for 4 hours before giving up and having to re-install the entire OS again.

When I finally DID get everything installed and running, I went to play Dota 2, the game I play the MOST on PC. Like, I have 3000+ hours in it.

I get massive rendering problems on both OpenGL and Vulkan. Massive spike of latency where rendering freezes, but sound plays and then every speeds up to catch up to it.

It's not the network, because it works fine in Windows.

It's fucking Linux and its poor GPU support. Even with proprietary drivers.

The good news is that Deus Ex Mankind Divided worked better in Linux (in that it actually started), so that was nice.

I do want to give Linux a chance, but it needs some quality of life improvements for those of us who haven't been using it for 10 years.

Attached: 43a.jpg (824x1024, 125K)

Hello user what do you think of my proposition of you keeping a gaming windows PC?
>Ubuntu and KDE recently
Try cinnamon mint.

>No system restore function.
>This means I can't actually mess around and try to learn things without using a third party imaging program.
Hmm you can try to experiment in VMs before trying some risky stuff I know I dodged some bullets (manually install KDE packages in cinnamon because I want to also have it = makes the DE go bad).
>third party imaging program.
I think you can simply clone the HDD with some command line commands only you need space to save this.

Its not like windows has one I did have experiences of windows rotting over time one time I noticed a game refused to start .... because some font was missing .... from the operating system itself .... yea the installation was fucked and no restoring would help.

Personally I have 1 HDD for the OS and another for the data so if something will go bad with the OS simply nuke the OS HDD.

I think the new mint version is advertising a real system restore. I'm not really interested in it because its really hard to fuck up the OS using only repository installations. If you are installing things outside of the repository oh boy once I did try to install the VirtualBox program outside the repository the installation fucked itself and was impossible to remove days trying to purge it from the system purge ,ultra purge commands. Finally I simply nuked the system.

If you want to play around have a separate experimentation HDD (hey you can clone your real OS on this and experiment) or use VMs to see if this wild installer has system bricking potential.

PS:
>This means I can't actually mess around and try to learn things without using a third party imaging program.
What are you messing with? Because the system is mostly safe on its own and only the outside installers have fuck up potential.

Why cringe?
And coming from a Rick and Morty fan?

Attached: 1526257172777.jpg (1080x793, 119K)

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rsync
>poor GPU support
check out DXVK

Want to elaborate on your criticism?
I'm actually interested.

>Rsync
Why not cp /dev/sda ?

>Want to elaborate on your criticism?
I'm actually interested

Attached: 1526307817604.png (460x296, 171K)

You realize you are amusing with your shitposting?

There's copypasta already. Lurk more.

No one's posting your cringey copypasta anywhere, except maybe in the "laugh at this copypasta" thread

Attached: This_one_is_going_in_my_cringe_folder.png (800x800, 413K)

>please copy "past" my incoherent overlong poorly written blogpost
Thanks, I'll pass.
Also, as a note:
>did you know windows file viewer lost the ability to display animated GIFs after XP?
Did you know that you can fix this non-issue by installing one of thousands of free programs, the same way you would fix any actually substantial issue in Linux?
Meanwhile I once couldn't get out of a live Kubuntu session because it somehow broke whatever piece of software required to issue the shutdown command, and nothing even remotely similar to this ever happened to me in Windows.

>live
in like live CD?
Live CD OSs will fuck themselves over after you fill up the RAM.
Live CD is only for testing not day to day use.

>and nothing even remotely similar
in windows its the same story:
1 )Bloating and system slowdown until the system is impossible to use.
or
2) Something breaks (MS updates) and the system will not start.
Simply look into other peoples stories or count yourself lucky this did not happen to you, remember the MS update that crippled the OS and MS wanted you to reinstall the OS?

>Meanwhile I once couldn't get out of a
Was there a problem after you powered down the PC? Or did it fix itself?

>game on linux by having a separate windows machine on which you play games
fucking hell OP this is pathetic

>Did you know that you can fix this non-issue by installing one of thousands of free programs
It was only 1 example, also what 3 party program do you install to make the DE usable in windows? Can you even change the DE in windows? Because the example of GIF was a analogy to the windows DE.

And there is something seriously wrong when MS is crippling their own programs while linux simply works out of the box and the installed image viewer is great and has no need for you to search and install extra programs to make the OS usable.

>Can you even change the DE in windows?
Sure! By installing a dodgy third-party program which hooks into lots of undocumented APIs and is liable to break with no notice after the next OS update.

You'd want a recursive copy instead of a complete copy every time you make changes. Less wear and tear on your drives.

>fucking hell OP this is pathetic
Why? Its comfortable and you can watch videos or play music while you wait in a lobby of a game.
The gaming PC is simply a dumpster for all the spyware every game installs on the OS like red shell.

How sad that you're unable to function without your fix. And what an expensive way to pretend you're actually doing something about it. Imagine how much more powerful a computer you could have if you hadn't built a second one in your desperation to continue being used by Windows but at the same time pretend it's not happening. Or how much money you could have saved if you just had one computer with the same specs, not two.

Are you talking about windows?

Because in the linux world this is simply not true.
Because in the linux world there are debates what the best DE (cinnamon VS KDE VS XFCE VS Unity VS i3 VS Gnome VS ...) is and there is no breaking (there is even a separate ISO for what DE you want to have with the OS).
Looking at windows its like you people are not allowed to install other web browsers and must use IE only while the rest of the world is changing browsers in free(like in not slavery and jail) operating systems.

Attached: 1524739101575.jpg (1390x738, 94K)

>>>Can you even change the DE in windows?
>>Sure!
>Are you talking about windows?

>Or how much money you could have saved if you just had one computer with the same specs, not two.
About $420.
The gaming graphics card is the most expensive part of a gaming computer.
>if you just had one computer with the same specs
Factually wrong there is a point of diminishing returns when you need to throw exponentially more money to get linear gains.

Since the 2 PC have a max of 32 GiB of RAM it would be impossible or incredibly expensive to get a PC with a maximum of 64 GiB. Having 2 separate PCs allows me to utilize larger amounts of RAM. And I would have filled them up to 32 GiB if the ram prices would not have jumped to insanity.

There is always the convenience of having 2 PCs you are not calculating this in.
And the convenience of actually using a good DE.
And the privacy that having my files on a linux system unlike botnet 10.

At some point you ask yourself if you want this for your $420 or a RGB fan or the processor that is 0.001% faster.

If you play a lot of games often, use a dedicated windows machine.
If you occassionally play games, dual boot with Windows.

I'm doing the last one, as I don't play a lot of games. Also, most of the games that I play are available on Linux Mint.

>>>Sure!
You realize people are often sarcastic and start talking about linux in this way?
I only want verification not the worlds biggest game of trying to interpret sarcasm on Jow Forums ?
So I write my posts that they cover all bases.

>If you occassionally play games, dual boot with Windows.
True only I needed to have my linux PC work for days without shutdowns. And I wanted to game in this time.

>windows file viewer lost the ability to display animated GIFs after XP

hahaha, can't make this shit up

>tfw windows can't read your encrypted ext4 terabyte drive
>tfw you have two copies of all your important files
>tfw your windows ssd is almost full

> 2 computers one for gaming and one for my data.

Actually the best solution.

What are you even talking about? Where did you get the impression that I meant anything about spending more money in total than you did?

You could have kept that $420 for whatever you wanted, or you could have spent $420 more on making the first computer better. Graphics cards might be expensive but $420 extra can still make a significant difference to what you can afford.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

What did he mean by this?
It literally lost the ability because it was there in XP and in 7 it opens GIFs in IE like under win 95/98.
You can trick the file viewer into opening a GIF however it will never be animated.

Yeah it's probably tthe best solution, but that just means that gaming on linux is not viable

>gaming on linux is not viable
Strange that I manage it without a second computer or a Windows VM, then.

>I wasn't being sarcastic.
OK. I write my posts that they cover all bases.
And there was a possibility that you tried to be sarcastic in my opinion.

>t $420 extra can still make a significant difference to what you can afford.
I like to know what exactly.
See:
More RAM?
The motherboard has a 32GiB limit.
Other motherboard? Costs 4x minimum more prices go up exponentially with linear gains.

I also value my privacy and the convenience I got from my linux PC. Something no component regardless how powerful can give me under windows. And we are talking about $420.

So ditch Windows? Creating this thread seems disingenuous: you're not gaming on GNU/Linux. You're still being used by Windows.

You could have put that extra money toward a faster graphics card, or a better monitor, or more games, if you hadn't spent it on a second computer. $700 buys you a lot more graphics card than $280 does, for example.

>gaming on linux is not viable
is gaming on windows viable?There is no Mario or Nintendo games without using some emulators and other wine like hacks.
I have seen gamer not only buy consoles for this however brag that they ALWAYS buy all consoles from all manufacturers and have a gaming PC.

Its the reality of things.
Same for me needing to use a XP computer because no new windows will ever support it.
This is the simplest solution.

>you're not gaming on GNU/Linux. You're still being used by Windows.
I use linux for my files and internet and use windows like a gaming console. Only gaming consoles are cancer who demand you pay to get online.

>faster graphics card
Sorry was top of the line card when I bought it, its all calculated in the gaming PCs life cycle I'm not buying a new one until GTX13 is out.
> or more games
>$700 buys you a lot more graphics card than $280 does, for example.
Yet non of them give me privacy.
Or the convenience of managing files in a great DE.

And 420 is about 2 AAA games ($200 + $200).
I told you I was dual booting at the start.
However my needs simply required me to be able to game and have linux operational at the same time.
I made the calculation and it all checked out so I did it.

Trust me i have documentations and plan life-cycles for my PCs.
The plan was perfectly justified and calculated before being executed.

>I have seen gamer not only buy consoles for this however brag that they ALWAYS buy all consoles from all manufacturers and have a gaming PC
Those people are pathetic user.

There are so many good games out there, when you count emulators and older games (which are often better anyway) a simple PC will last you for life. There is no way you can physically play every good game. How do you have that much time.

If you want to use linux, use it, and you still have plenty of games if you're not a hopeless addict. If something you really want to play is Windows-only just boot to play it, it doesn't take that long and makes full use of your hardware.

Imagine if you could dual-boot a PS4 as an XBone. Everyone would do it, people who bought both consoles for no reason would be mocked endlessly.

>play is Windows-only just boot to play it
Ah I did it before however my linux PC can not be shut down. This was the main problem. In my scenario.

>Those people are pathetic user.
agree.

>Imagine if you could dual-boot a PS4 as an XBone. Everyone would do it, people who bought both consoles for no reason would be mocked endlessly.
Nothing would change 99% of all console games are on PC console gamer are a joke however they are stupid and the corporations will milk them with more money grabbing scams like every console now requires pay to get online.

And the console fanboys will defend this and only play consoles.

>And 420 is about 2 AAA games ($200 + $200).

Might have gone overboard, need to check data (not in the mood) $60 for the game + $20(minimum) DLC/Season Passes/other bullshit ~=$100

In this scam environment it can be hard to even estimate real game prices.

>$60 for the game + $20(minimum) DLC/Season Passes/other bullshit ~=$100
I'm sure the publishers are grateful for your support.

I don't know I don't buy games on release only when they get older and are on sail and all the bullshit about them is known and they are the gold final all included in version.
I tried to estimate the true price of a AAA game on release something that is not easy.

what's the point of greentexting everything end yourself

>"I would never be so foolish as to buy a console!"
>spends 200 bucks on legendary ultimate definitive version of generic first person shooter 2018
>it doesn't even come with the game
Maybe you personally don't fall into that trap, but I'm sure some people do.

>I'm sure the publishers are grateful for your support.
Not my problem games are sold in parts now (DLC and other maneuvers are ways to cut out content and demand you pay for it).
And game prices should increase I prefer to get 100% of the actual game and know the actual price of the game or is this only me?

>game prices should increase
I don't think most gamers would agree.

>Maybe you personally don't fall into that trap, but I'm sure some people do.
You wan't me to get out my record of game spending's and show you at what prices I bought games over the years?
And contrast them with the prices before they got on sail (steam)?
So you finally can feel silly for saying I overpay for games?

Or can we get back to the thread topic?

>I don't think most gamers would agree.
Then they are idiots and publishers are compensating for inflation by breaking the game into parts and selling important parts of the game as DLC or other bullshit.

Or the fantastically scamtastic loot box gambling, gamble to unlock parts of the game! With real money!
I prefer to get 100% of the game with no hidden bullshit to extract more money, I want to relax in a game and not see bullshit wanting to extract more money from me in game.

I literally included at the end of my post that I don't know whether you fell into that trap but that some people do despite making a fuss about not falling into the console trap. Why are you so angry about my post? Did I hit a nerve?

I'm not angry my emotional state is best shown by this picture.
Try reading my post with the tone shown in this picture.
>Me overpaying for games

Attached: 8cdfLOs.jpg (468x286, 30K)

Funny, I don't believe you.

I have a literal record of spending's and it includes discount percentages and price before discount.

Windows has its uses, I hardly ever game these days but I mostly use windows as my daily driver and work is done with professional tools that are only available on windows. But my home server runs linux. Running desktop linux is ok, but windows is better (I am actually on 8.1 so not sure, maybe 10 is really bad)

AHAHAHA YOU'RE THAT BOOMER GAME REVIEWER!!

>Windows has its uses
Yes: it's using you.

Show us, user.

Attached: 1484829709650.jpg (700x500, 52K)

Having a separate Windows computer is being used by Windows.
Having a separate Windows install on the same computer is being used by Windows.
Having a Windows VM is being used by Windows.

ISO date format:
2018-06-21
Quake Champions
-25% sail
~$29 (need to convert to dollars) payed all champion unlock, this how you buy the game.
VS
~$44 normal price

2018-08-08
Doom 2016 (check out online is supposed to be ass however $14 and -50%)
-50%
~$14 payed
~$27 normal price

And this is every game I bought in 2018 to this day.

Want other years?

>2 games in the last 8.5 months
>I'm a serious gamer, guys
>my opinion carries weight

should have used ledger cli

do you have a point at this point?
What do you expect me to buy?

I dunno user. I just found it a bizarre juxtaposition that you made a fuss about how you track all your purchases and the discounts you got on them when it turns out you bought a grand total of two games this year.

GNU is cancer to FOSS

Attached: freetard|1335295561932.gif (600x448, 24K)

>you track all your purchases and the discounts you got on them when it turns out you bought a grand total of two games this year.
I'm a frugal guy this was the whole idea.
And why I was grumpily amused at you telling me that I throw out money on games.
I answer the same like I did on my job interview when asked if i play games
>I have some titles I enjoy from time to time.

Out of curiosity what do you expect a typical gamer to purchase in 2018?

Attached: 1519722689726.gif (142x167, 168K)

>Out of curiosity what do you expect a typical gamer to purchase in 2018?
Approximately:
$400 in initial purchases
$250 in DLC
$50 in season passes
$800 in lootboxes
$400 in new hardware (including keyboards/mice with LEDs) (this is a per-year average, some years include a new graphics card)
>And why I was grumpily amused at you telling me that I throw out money on games.
I didn't tell you that you do that. I told you that some people do that.

>I didn't tell you that you do that. I told you that some people do that.
OK.
I interpreted this differently >I'm sure the publishers are grateful for your support.

No sarcasm or negativity from me. Only explanation and after seeing my records you understand why telling me that I can buy more games with $420 is kind of not really relevant to me and I know this because I record my spendings.
>$400 in initial purchases
>$250 in DLC
>$50 in season passes
>$800 in lootboxes
Really? I'm surprised are people this stupid?
What titles do you think where even worth buying in 2018?

>$800 in lootboxes
These people must be stupid in the extreme.