/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed)

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: gaben settings.jpg (1252x639, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/dpvwD2
pcpartpicker.com/list/pmdjvn
pcpartpicker.com/list/VM4tkd
pcpartpicker.com/list/d68FCb
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is the Mbest MB279QR144 the official Jow Forums approved monitor?

>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
Kys shill. The 2080 has better perf/$ than 1080ti

It's simply the best non-HDR AHVA(IPS) monitor, and it's also the cheapest. So yes.

Only reason not to get it is because you want 4K and/or HDR instead, or you're cucked into Goysync or a TN monitor.

>chinkshit
No i want my monitor to last and not having to send it to china

got a 144hz freesync monitor, what gpu should i get?
go the used route or brand new? r9 390 or vega or rx 480/580. i dont mind playing in low settings as long as i get that sweet 144fps

Attached: pc building.jpg (1264x665, 45K)

what's a decent motherboard?
is $100 enough?

For what cpu you dork.

amd, ddr4, usb 3.0, whatever cool kids use these days

>my motherboard doesn't have any BIOS updates on the official ASUS site, instead there are two versions of the ME update tool whatever the fuck it is
I'm so fucking confused

Attached: Capture.jpg (972x749, 69K)

100 is probably the median price for mobos with chipsets that allow overclocking, which is one of the most important features. you want to hold on to your mobo for a long time so it's good to have that option, especially if you're going with ryzen because those are overclockable out of the box. sam story with ram.
post your model and cpu.

pcpartpicker.com/list/dpvwD2

How does my build from 2016 hold up to todays standards? Was my first high end build. CPU has always been at 4.8ghz since I put it together.

Have a 2080Ti ordered and will get a 9900k whenever that comes out.

I got a 1060, r3 1200, 16gb ram and ssd, what should I upgrade

CPU - What speed is your RAM? Shitty 2400mhz?

Yeah and what cpu should I get?

what does mechanical keyboard feels like?
is it similar to x220, t420?

R7 2600X

so I need to decide cpu first before motherboard?
sorry, I'm a newfag

Just did the ol 'walk away from desk with headphones around neck' trick and my PC fell over and shut off. Can't get it to boot, CPU and RAM board lights are on after power, no bent pins, GPU is fine, ram gets pretty fucking hot after a few seconds of power.
Whats the likely diagnosis, CPU is dead? Board is managing voltage incorrectly?
Kind of disappointed. But I needed to upgrade the GPU anyway.

cpu is going to decide your socket, which is the alpha and omega of your system's compatibility. literally the only thing in a PC where if done wrong, it would either not work, or straight up would not fit into each other physically.

>CPU and RAM board lights are on after power
does the light stay? it means cpu and ram is the problem

try booting of on a flashdrive and try running only on one stick of ram then try the other

pls tell me what should I buy first and what follows next
I'm literally building from scratch here, no monitor, no cpu, no keyboard, no nothing

Did you really buy that r3 just to upgrade a year later? Wait for matisse/vermeer (if the latter is still on am4) and get yourself a shiny new 3700x/4700x when they come out. In the meantime save up for a GTX2070/Navi if it ever comes out

Attached: 3.0.png (112x112, 12K)

>Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.

$10000
gaym

if that is the right amount of zeroes then I'm not even gonna bother

Can't even get to bios, let alone disk. I've only got 1 stick of ram

m-my bad
$1000

rx 580 and gtx 1060-6gb are basically the same right? Should I just pick the one that I can find cheaper second hand?

Yes.

Best xeon for gaming workstation that wont bottleneck a gud card? Or should i just wait for zen 3

awesome, thanks. both of these cards finally got affordable for me with the release of the new generation cards. Most people list their 1060-6gb and rx580 cards for about 180 euro. I'll try to hassle and pay about 150 or 160.

lol when I was a kid I rememmber slamming and throwing my pc plenty of times and nothing ever broke. Why is new shit so fragile.

if you also need a monitor and all the accessories, that sounds to me like a 1080p/60fps build.
>r5 2600, 2600x if you can get it on sale
>b450 motherboard
manufacturer doesn't really matter. a few models may have poor overclocking capabilities but a quick google search for reviews of whatever you'll find at a good price will reveal them. you should be able to find one for less than a 100 bucks easily. you have some options here, like built in wifi if you need it. cheaper models will have 2 ram slots, you'll want 4 imo.
>find compatible ram
once you settle on mobo, go to its manufacturer's site and look for list of compatible memory to pair with your cpu. you want 2x8gb, 3200mhz, CL14 (if you can find it for a decent price. not sure what they run for now but last I saw was over 200 bucks per kit) or CL16 (will be cheaper than CL14 and will be easier to find). expect to spend at least 150 bucks on ram.
this is important because ryzens benefit greatly from fast memory but aren't universally compatible. so find the right model. if you don't you won't be able to reach the advertised ram frequency (3200mhz).
>gpu - from least to most expensive (and capable): 1050ti 4gb, rx570 4gb, rx580 8gb, 1060 6gb
1070 will probably put you over the budget. 1050ti will not age well, whereas rx580/1060 have plenty of life left in them.
>psu - 450 or 500W will be plenty
don't skimp on this, try to find gold-rated one. something like seasonic g serise or evga g2
>case - size matters, fans help, otherwise it's mostly just about the looks
your mobo needs to fit. full ATX, microATX, miniITX are the most common form factors, just make sure that mobo and case are the same format.
>monitor
1080p 60hz IPS panel is pretty cheap these days

if you're worried about fucking up with ryzen and ram, intel is a valid choice because it doesn't have compatibility issues with ram and it won't affect the gaming performance. but I don't really know which coffee lake models are recommended.

The 390 is such a hot card. And it doesn't get as good driver support now days.
Best to go with an RX470 at a minimum. For 1080p, 4Gb RX580 is sometimes on sale cheap (4 threads in 2016 let alone 2018
Gross.

>build from 2016
>it's already obsolete
Go Zen or go home.

Find highly rated builds/guides in your budget on pcpartpicker.

Tomahawk

Zen 2

So I've built my pc last year and was running [email protected] 1.38V stable without any issues, but last month I started getting some crashes and after testing my cpu with prime I had to lower clock to 3.6ghz to get it stable. What the fuck could've happened? I can't think of anything I could've done in the past month to affect it. Temps are fine never going above 75C so it can't be that.

i want to build a budget hackintosh for max $1k usd, could any macnigger recommend me some builds? can be even some popular shit

Your cooler is trash

1.38V is a little high
Probably burnt it

>RAM question/followup from yesterday

>i7 930 @ 3.2 ghz
>6gb ddr3 1333

Whenever I have a browser open with any other application I start getting lag.

I monitored my memory usage. Having a browser open and having an app (like starcraft2) open and my memory usage goes up to ~ 5gb.

Should I go to 12 gb or just max it out at 24 gb as per my mobo.

Try a different browser?

When can we expect accurate RTX 2080 performance benchmarks?
Will the supposedly 500$ RTX 2070 have a good price/performance ratio, seeing how 2080's, are supposed to have 40% perf. increase?

Attached: 1536404708958.png (846x814, 555K)

The Radeon card supports Freesync, and tends to be better in older games. It also has better features and less issues like not losing 10% of FPS from HDR, losing less FPS using Relive than Shadowplay is, Relive supporting h265 encoding when Shadowplay doesn't, dithering support, etc.
The GTX card tends to be better in older games and uses less power.

Personally I'd spend more for an equivalent Radeon card for the features and software, and Freesync support, but some people disagree.

Launch day.
>Will the supposedly 500$ RTX 2070 have a good price/performance ratio
It will likely be the best of them, because it has a lot more memory bandwidth than the 1070 or even 1080, at least in 1440p. But it'll probably be more like $600. The MSRPs are just blatant lies.
>seeing how 2080's, are supposed to have 40% perf. increase?
That's false. It's only when comparing in HDR. Previous Nvidia cards lose ~2-20% fps in HDR, about 10% on average. The perf/$ is going to look terrible compared to Vega which didn't have that same problem. Nvidia is cherry picking this to make them look better than they are.
Real performance increase is going to be 25-35% but cost also increased way more than that.

Maybe try an alternate browser which uses less RAM?
but frankly I'd just upgrade your CPU if you're going to get more RAM. DDR4 and DDR3 costs around the same now, doesn't it?

What do you mean? People are saying everything up to 1.4 is fine.
it's a stock cooler but I don't see how that would be an issue 75C are safe temps.

I've tried both Firefox and Chrome.

As for the upgraded CPU, I've been mulling over a new system build for a while now. I may just end up donating this i7 930 to my 14 year old nephew.

Building a dedicated deep learning machine and would like some input.

pcpartpicker.com/list/pmdjvn

>settle on a Define Nano S
>find out that NZXT H200 exists
>glass panel
>my mobo is fugly MSI red/black ricer shit
it's back to the drawing board for me

Where is your RAM senpai?

>started checking monitors
>have to filter the vga, most of them are vga
>2018

>I've tried both browsers which use a lot of memory and it still uses a lot of memory
?

Silverstone

That user doesn't know what he's talking about. Some Ryzen models hit 1.5v+ stock. CPU can degrade over time a little bit but it's more likely that you just have more different programs running in the background that it's less stable on.

idk 8400 plus an AMD gpu?

>CPU can degrade over time
Yeah I'm aware of that but didnt think it would happen in one year especially if it was pretty low woltage. The thing is last year I tested it for hours and it was fine, now it crashes after 5 mins in prime.

Excuse me? You said about both of those cards that they work better than each other for older games?

>ryzen models hit 1.5v+
Nah it's only yours. Anything from 1.4 and more is a no go if you want your cpu to last.

Only cheap models. Also vga is fine for 1080p

H200 isnt that great of a case. Its massive considering its mitx, not matx

8400 and radeon 460 580 gpu

Agree, this has got to stop. $799 for better performance than Pascal Titan card.

Current GPU market in Canada pisses me off. Everything is higher than MSRP and proces are dropping very, very slowly.

A lot of the op is screwed

I just bought an AIO, how do I orient the fans?

Does push/pull still work in 2018 or was it a fad?

Yeah I don't think it should after a year at 1.38v either. It's more likely the later thing I said.

Radeon for newer, I meant.

Samefag or are two people both this retarded?

>I just bought an AIO, how do I orient the fans?
>Does push/pull still work in 2018 or was it a fad?
Generally i like to have the fans pushing through the rad and acting as exhaust so usually top mounted if dual or rear mounted if single. If its something like a h80 i mean yeah sure but push pull has always beena meme

Pull. Push-pull does not offer tangible benefits. Pull leads to dust build-up that can only be cleaned out by removing the fan from the radiator.

come to east or south europe h-haha

pcpartpicker.com/list/VM4tkd
>Uses
Uni and light gaymin

Here's my list at the moment:
pcpartpicker.com/list/d68FCb

I have a budget of ~$2k, but I'd like to save some money where I can.

That being said, should I switch to a 1080ti/2k monitor or stay where I am?
I'm mainly gonna be using it for modded Skyrim, things of that nature.

Reread your post. Also electronic or compressed air

الله أكبر

Its diggity but drop the psu to 450gd, increasr the ssd to 240gb, drop the board to a b350, get an internal WiFi card and get. Nicer case imo. Consider matx

Spend more on your monitor and on your gpu

Ita pretty much everywhere but the US and Asia. In my country they still sell 9xx cards for well over US price.

Buy a 8700 instead

Whoops.

But my point still stands. I've found that temps are identical all across the board, regardless of push, pull, or push/pull. The main difference is that with a push configuration, dust will build up in your radiator faster, and requires you to remove the fan before you can clean it out properly. With a pull configuration, all you need to do is to blow on the intake side.

Is there any diference in performance between the Asus Stryx Vega 64 and the Saphire Nitro+?

Attached: Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 Limited Edition.png (900x637, 412K)

Is $400 good for 1070 ti?

I hear the Strix has some thermal pad issues. You can fix them yourself for a few bucks, but yeah. Otherwise a good card.
Nitro just werkz. Sapphire quality.

I was told yesterday that the ASUS TUF B450m Plus Gaming is a shitty motherboard but I already bought it, will I be ok or should I return it for a MSI Mortar or a ASRock B450M Pro4?

>skylel-x
No

Yes.

Again, compressed air.

Not really.

Who said? Tuf aint tuf anymore but they're still ok.

Need a low standing monitor (just a extra screen for my laptop which is pretty low on the desk)

Not for gaming or anything just really got used to my workplace with double monitor. Feels more productive for me.

Budget £150 bong

Can UNDERvolting damage a GPU? I have a 580 and see many recommendations to undervolt to reduce heat (and, indirectly, fan noise). I understand that it could cause instability, crashing, data loss, etc- but can it damage hardware in the same way as overvolting?

You might need to get a VESA arm that clamps to the back of your desk. Then you can choose any monitor (that has a standard vesa mount) and can position it as low as you need.

No.

>tfw no AM4 mATX mobos with wifi
actually insane

Compressed air isn't going to blow out the spots covered by a fan in a push configuration.

What are some cheap Mid ATX cases that don't suck?

The less tacky gamer aesthetic the better.

>buys 5$ wifi card
nothing personell kiddo

Planning on building image related. Want to build small cause I'm tired of the ATX/Full Tower meme and losing so much desk space. (Yes,my PC sits on top of my desk.) How solid are my choices?

Attached: futurebuild.png (1128x896, 77K)

meshify c mini is sexy af

Take a hint from one of the only available x470 Wifi full sized motherboards. There's a sea of comments to do with unreliable wifi and problems plaguing the bios updates trying to fix it.

PCI wifi cards are dirt cheap and they work perfectly well my guy.

I know the op says build around your monitor so I wanted help with that. I'm not familiar with current graphics cards and wanted to know is 1440p @144hz is possible(preferably maxed settings but if not then as close to Max as possible). Also because I wanted to have multiple monitors I wanted to know if they should all be 1440p @144hz, if that would be too taxing, and if it's too taxing what should I lower first? Resolution or refresh rate? In this case money is not an issue for my build.

Focus g

get an air240 case and a 2600x. Believe it or not, AMD stock coolers are fuckin brilliant. I am not OC'ing but my shit doesnt go over 50*c underload while gaming.

Get a better case. Looks likeno airflow. Get a barracuda as blacks are pretty loud

Versa H15 but it can sometimes be problematic to fit the 5.25" drive.

also, the high memory speeds are good when you are running high end shit. Your build is very middle ground, i'd save on the expensive memory and push for a better GPU desu.

Also you may want bigger storage space, I prefer just straight SSD though.

Your build is super expensive but lacking in alot of ways. I just finished a 2600x RX580 build for less than $1200 for sure.
2600x
B450m board
16gb ddr4 @ 2400mhz (i think)
rx580
1080p monitor

using stock cpu cooler (it works, just to reiterate) and an Air240 case with 6 total case fans.

Your monitors only need to match if you plan to span a game across all of them at once (Nvidia surround/AMD Eyefinity). If you plan to play on one at a time then it doesn't matter which other monitors you have connected.

Getting some serious frame drops in World of Warcraft.
>R7-1700X at stock
>32GB DDR4-2400MHz CL12
>EVGA GTX 980Ti classified
>32" 1440p 60HZ monitor

I get great performance in all games that are far far more graphically intensive. But in WoW I'll get dips down to the high 30s mid 40s when raiding with 25+ people. I'm assuming it's to do with particle effects of spells and shit from so many people? Or is WoW still stupid dependant on single core (I.e. need a 5.0GHz clocked Intel chip)

Yes, anything that doesn't work like the manufacturer's way can cause damage.