>go to program website
>get tricked with a misspelling or something, download malware laced executable
>run malwarebytes,fail to remove malware, reinstall
>go to correct website
>next, accept, next, uncheck adware toolbar, next
>finally program is installed

Install software on Linux:
>sudo apt install program

This is one of the things I hate about UNIX and -likes. The FHS is fucking obsolete but nobody dares to change it.

>using fagOS

Attached: zachqwe1o4w01.jpg (645x773, 53K)

This

>get tricked with a misspelling or something, download malware laced executable

how does it feel to be retarded?

updating software on linux
>it does it automatically
updating software on windows
>have to spend time checking if all your programs need to be updated by visiting the website you got it from

i don't care about internal files you're usually not going to see as a user going everywhere but what i do care about is the config files/other user-relevant files getting fucking scattered across your home, ~/.config, ~/.local, /usr/local and a half-dozen other folders. Standardize this fucking bullshit.

Don't worry user, every program can just create its own service which will constantly poll for updates in the background. Problem solved.

>>get tricked
>mactoddler can't even read a few letters before .com

Attached: 1536136171861.png (1051x708, 655K)

Install software on MacOS
>.app goes in /Applications/
>user files go in ~/Library/

Attached: werks.webm (788x630, 543K)

>some files take on a life of their own and make an underground colony
kek

this used to be true. But now you have to look in 3 places for programs. 32 bit directory. 64 bit directory. app data directory (even though you are not supposed to, I see entire programs are being installed there)

Happened to me once. Didn't remember the domain for firefox. Clicked a link that was a whole sale copy and paste of the real site. It was the top result on Google at the time as well.

look at those fonts... sexy af

>gatekeeper gets to decide what programs you can install on your computer
>don't know what the fuck they decided to name the application, have to go on some Q&A site to find the name.

/bin/
/sbin
/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/sbin

a) You can install software outside of your package manager. It just a convenient way for most of the software you ever need.
b) Package managers have a search function. If you are able to use a search engine to find a program's website, you'll be able to find a package's name. Also it's the exception, not the rule, for a package to have an obscure name. In most cases it's just the program's name in lowercase letters.

OP except you forgot the hundreds of places the programs go in registry. At least on Unix-like it's obvious where a directory is.

you technically can but most of the time there will be nothing for you to install and you have to build from source.

>Linux brainlets click on malware

Many devs nowadays provide ways for Linux users to install their software, even if it's not in the official repos. Compiling yourself is only needed for more obscure programs or when you want the absolute newest version of something.

> man hier
You can thank me later

What about
>C:\ProgramData\
>C:\Users\Public
>C:\Users\Default
>C:\Users\X\AppData

Not to mention programs install in
>C:\Users\X
and your Documents folder, and some fucking just dump everything in a root level folder they create.

Although yes, Mac is 100x worse because brew literally just dumps shit in /usr/local/bin and chowns it to one user completely breaking multi user systems. What a fucking broken OS.

Linux actually makes sense
/bin is just the bare minimum programs needed to mount /usr
sbin is just for root applications
/usr/(s)bin is for your package manager
/usr/local/bin is for things you install yourself
/etc is for configuration
/lib is for data
/var is just for data that changes
/opt is kinda like a containment zone for shit applications that are too stupid to follow the above rule

makes so much sense once you take 5 minutes to understand it. Windows only SEEMS simpler because they obscure most of this shit from you as you think its all just in \Program Files a typical windows program will dump shit in 4 different hidden system folders and fuck up your registry all of which isn't removed when you uninstall it of course.

>Don't be retarded and only download from reputable sources
>Compare checksum just to be sure
>You can even install a package manager that does virtually the same shit as apt/yum/fagman/yast

I can already tell that you're a falseflagging FagOS toddler

Attached: Lizardwizard.jpg (208x243, 9K)

>implying

I run GNU/Linux on my phone (yes, real GNU with systemd and everything, Sailfish not Android), Desktop (ok, dual boot with Wangblows 10 for increasingly small amounts of games), and Thinkpad.

Why a "mactoddler" would shill GNU/Linux package managers is beyond me.