/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Fall Has Arrived Edition

Attached: 20170714_012.jpg (1600x1067, 228K)

Other urls found in this thread:

parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706
usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/interfaces/ag_series/ag06.html
getinthemix.2dimg.com/resources/1429631180_15.pdf
seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=522:h1353-0806-t18rexxfc&catid=52:prestige-coaxial-drivers&Itemid=464
accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1400h/denon-avr-x1400h-7.2-ch-x-80-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
youtube.com/watch?v=HKBJQ9tvcGM&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=fr8O_jZhpl4&feature=youtu.be&t=512
boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/d/yamaha-rx-v850-receiver/6697984425.html
icecast.vrtcdn.be/klaracontinuo-high.mp3
store.hifiman.com/index.php/headphones/he-400i.html
head-fi.org/threads/from-sennheiser-hd-650-to-hifiman-he-400i-theres-no-way-back.762957/
avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/686371-dynaudio-owner-s-thread-1155.html#post52732073
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Previous Episode:

Attached: 860202-decwaredesigned-zen-open-baffle-speakers.jpg (480x640, 39K)

no more dynaudio
so sick of dynaudio

Attached: index.php.jpg (640x425, 74K)

>can't figure out how to take apart my turntable
>pots that control the speed are accessed through the underside
>spray them down with deoxit and twist them a bunch
>still having problems with speed fluctuation
What the fuck could it be? I feel like I'll just end up paying the local guy to work on it or just get another turntable. I've looked at the service manuals and I'm not seeing where I'm supposed to be able to take it apart.

>for the playstation hdmi audio to monitor aux to mixer
thank you so much based helpful user, ordering these new components for the setup as we speak. cheers homie

np. good luck

also trips

shopping list:
uturn audio turntable
yama ag06 6-channel mixer
chromecast audio
trs to rca cable (x2) [for turntable, no preamp]
1/8" to dual 1/4" cable [for AUX/PS4]
mixer to usb cable [desktop]
AUX cable/chromecast audio [people coming over, parties, etc]

i feel so relieved I figured this out, thank you so much again this has been a project long time coming lol

What do you guys think of these?

parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706

I'm interested in buying some new headphones and a new DAC + AMP, 400$ dollar range for both. Been a very long time since I've bought anything so I'm not sure what to get. I'm thinking Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Pro, or something Audio Technica for headphones, but I'm totally clueless what to buy for an amp.
Also note im a filthy canuck therefore everything is more expensive.

Yeah I think it'll work, you're pretty much maxxing out the inputs though, so if you need more look into the mg10xu or behringer 802.

The ag series feature set is oriented towards podcasters, particularly the loopback feature.

usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/interfaces/ag_series/ag06.html

>trs to rca cable (x2) [for turntable, no preamp]
You don't need this if you're getting the AG06, it has RCA inputs on 5/6.

Attached: 456.jpg (960x960, 174K)

what are you using now

word, i'll weigh the choices and see if it makes more sense ot get one of the mixers with more inputs. interesting link though, thanks for sharing + for the further clarification on the rca inputs for 5/6, you're a life saver on the real

you can use unbalanced 1/4" cables for the mixer -> rokit 6 too, but might as well do it right.

Attached: 789.jpg (4218x2140, 546K)

one thing to note the AUX in does not have a volume control, you have to use the volume control on the device (chromecast) to set it.

getinthemix.2dimg.com/resources/1429631180_15.pdf

see 21

I think a bigger mixer would be good since you're not using the loopback features on the ag06.

yea, that visual just about sums it up. i think im still planning on using 1/4" to 1/4" connection from the mixer to the rokits, but on the monitors the connection says 'balanced' not unbalanced

the only thing I'm hesitant about is I really think I'm only using 4 inputs (chromecast/AUX, ps4, turntable, desktop) and with the exception of maybe one or two more devices maximum, i don't think it makes sense for me to expand too much further on the input side of things, is there a better option than a mixer for those needs specifically, or is the mixer still going to be my best bet?

was looking at the behringer 802, I could instead connect my desktop using an 1/8" to 1/4" cable, and then I should be set without needing the usb port specifically...I think I'm going to go with the 802

>i think im still planning on using 1/4" to 1/4" connection from the mixer to the rokits, but on the monitors the connection says 'balanced' not unbalanced
Yeah you can use unbalanced cables too, it's nbd unless you're doing long cable runs. If you get noise from the cables then switch to balanced 1/4"

> i don't think it makes sense for me to expand too much further on the input side of things
Then the ag06 will be sufficient if you're okay with adjusting volume on the aux via chromecast.

>is there a better option than a mixer for those needs specifically, or is the mixer still going to be my best bet?
It's the best and cheapest solution I know of. I'm not a consumer A/V guy, there might be something from that market that's better suited for this but I'm not aware of it. You're looking for something to hook all your audio into, and be able to selectively choose how loud and which source to play right?

good to know about the balanced/unbalance ish. but yeah, exactly at the description of what i'm looking for... instead of the 802 I found the Behringer Xenyx Q502USB, which looks perfect/compact for what i need:
direct usb to desktop
1/4" -> 1/8" female for chromecast
rca to rca for turntable
1/4" -> 1/8" female for chromecast (line 1)
dual 1/4" -> 1/8" AUX for ps4 (line 2/3)
dual 1/4" -> 1/8" aux for unplanned / miscellanous (line 4/5)
output:
1/4" -> 1/4" balanced for rokit
it seems like the perfect compact option with no extra frills ???

the behringer will work, it's very budget friendly too. I think it's the cheapest and most cost efficient option for your use case.

>I could instead connect my desktop using an 1/8" to 1/4" cable
You can do this, and if the audio sucks, use the m-audio outputs into the mixer inputs.

perfect. i'm off for the night, got work in the AM. thanks immensely for the help, have a good one friend

>1/4" -> 1/8" female for chromecast (line 1)
the 1/4" is mono, you will only be getting audio from the left channel from chromecast. It's meant for a microphone. Go for the 802 or 802 usb.

You can get stereo from using two mono microphone inputs but you have to match both the volume levels L/R individually which is a hassle.

Still got these bad boys. New denon a shit.

Attached: denon ahd 5000.jpg (1280x857, 78K)

bump

Rly fukn good. Best value 2-way design out there. I wish the HiVi drivers were available that cheap in Europe.

Attached: KlKfZUQ_d.jpg (750x500, 52K)

I'm thinking about building a similar design around the seas coax
>seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=522:h1353-0806-t18rexxfc&catid=52:prestige-coaxial-drivers&Itemid=464

nice user, good classics

nobody likes coax user, those are full range drivers with a phase plug and whizzer cone - it's differnt

Big noob here, pls help:
I have an old 5.1 surround system and two good stereo bookshelf speakers. I want to replace the two front speakers of the 5.1 with the bookshelf speakers. This way i hope i can listen to music with only the bookshelf speakers and watch movies with all the speakers together.
The problem is that the outputs of my 5.1 system are all pre-amplified, so i can't connect my bookshelf speakers to it because they are self-powered. How can i get around this? Is there some device that takes in optical/hdmi audio and outputs a standard, pre-amplified 5.1 plus two non-pre-amplified for the front speakers?
Also sorry if my terminology ia fucked

any av receiver with pre outs

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 133K)

Attached: speakers.jpg (500x375, 39K)

Attached: old-ryobi.jpg (1000x812, 198K)

So which camp are you in?

Attached: PBF020-Skub.gif (193x249, 10K)

Why so much dynaudio discussion in the last thread? Are their great or shit, I don't get it...

>frys has a fucking aisle for these now
JUST
both
silver faced is the GOAT but there's good quality black components. the problem with the black components is that it's hard to find the good quality stuff in the sea of black plastic crap

Sorry i'm retarded and i'm not sure i understand what that is, could you link one that would do the job from amazon?

ew

accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1400h/denon-avr-x1400h-7.2-ch-x-80-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
pre-outs let you connect an external amplifier. you should be able to connect both speakers up to the pre-outs on this

whats the names of your speakers or 5.1 system

every thread has a certain topic
dynaudio is good

>every thread has a certain topic
We should talk about Ascend this thread.

I've always wanted to hear some Sierra 2s. I love bookshelves but I wonder if my room is too big for them.

Attached: ascend.jpg (800x600, 112K)

those fags at avrant are always talking about these

The guy that started this company was a designer for M&K back in the day, he worked on the crossover design for the original S-150s. I'm thinking of ordering HTM200SEs for my rear speakers when my house is finally done. Ordering blind but, apparently they voice well with the S-150s I already have (and of course I can return them..)

Rob H is pretty awesome but Tom is a retard and an estronaut. I don't understand how he can do that podcast for like ten years and still know absolutely nothing. The format is this: Rob reads the emails, compiles a written question sheet, Tom tries to read it (often fucking it up where Rob has to correct his reading), then Tom tries to answer saying something incredibly stupid, then Rob actually answers the question. It's a good show, I just wish Tom wasn't here.

Tom also talked about going to see Black Panther just to show people that black lead character movies are, his favorite movies are capeshit and he thought Three Billboards was a fancy movie, used to do a podcast with his wife about "marriage", and is a psychology major.

Also curious who the shitposter is from here:
youtube.com/watch?v=HKBJQ9tvcGM&t=1s

What dynaudio speakers should I buy? 1000$ budget.

I want to use this amplifier (Crown XTi2002) to power a pair of subwoofers, but my receiver only has unbalanced outputs. What DI box should I buy to convert the unbalanced signal to balanced?

Attached: XTi2_back_no_top_shadow_original.png (1845x558, 3.95M)

Seas coax?
Like most coaxials in that style, that Seas model still has the problem of cancellation on its central axis and within 5-10 degrees off it. When listening to it, you may want to angle the speakers away from your listening position, such as by an aggressive toe in.

Someone fighting back and forth over their pet speaker. The thread is usually much slower.

I clicked a random part of the video and:
>group delay
Aiyah.
Group delay is the envelope of the waveform but doesn't necessarily correspond directly to delay in information. There are little tricks you can perform that can shift the group delay into the negative, which should not be taken to mean you can build a time machine with a couple of op-amps.
>decaying resonances
The narrower the frequency response is focused, the longer the ring. The extended high-frequency response of the signal and speaker beyond the passband (or even human hearing) is what forces impulse response to stop quickly.

Thank you. So could i connect everything like in pic related?

The 5.1 system is a TEAC PL-D2000, the bookshelf speakers are m-audio studiophile BX5

Attached: 13281.png (1814x1170, 1.45M)

>Thank you. So could i connect everything like in pic related?
yes you should be able to

Is there a cheaper solution tho? They all seem to cost a lot. Like some adapter that can take out the amplification from a signal so i can connect my bookshelf speakers directly to the 5.1 system?

Why dynaudio?

>no phono
user...

you can just bridge the pins

Denon receivers have great sound quality too.

I heard they produce great speakers. Do you have other suggestions?

Er - whats your amplifier and room size, and music of choice? And what speakers do you use now?

Isn't the voltage different for balanced and unbalanced? +10dbV versus -3dbV or something?

No, that will not work. That pre out is for zone 2 L&R, not your main zone L&R. You need a different receiver. One that has pre-outs for the main channels.

Receivers with pre-outs tend to be higher end receivers. You can get them at reasonable costs, but not dirt cheap.

Attached: cara-14613.jpg (1584x1634, 535K)

Anyone here using spacial sextants?

youtube.com/watch?v=fr8O_jZhpl4&feature=youtu.be&t=512

octet here
works much better than actual acoustic treatment and only costs twice as much as having the whole room rebuilt by an acoustician

I'm at work so couldn't turn the sound on. What are those wood poles with the round things on them for?

Kind of a shit room for that stuff isn't it? I would expect treatments.

acoustic treatment on a more spiritual level
blocking bad standing waves in another dimension and stuff

I was hoping that wasn't the answer.

Attached: fatasianguy.gif (250x277, 1.88M)

These are omnidirectional speakers i guess.

But who needs them if you want to play this kind of music anyway.

You mean some old fart shit off a tape deck?

You know when somebody is marketing speakers they will play some slow vocal\acoustic music on them. Not sure if it is old or not.

How's Harbethanon doing? How's he liking his speakers?

Depends on the tier of the Denon, but usually average to great.

Looks good. If you don't need new with warranty, HDMI or 4K, and you live in the US, look on craigslist or ebay etc, taking care to make sure the pre outs are not for the subwoofers. Sony, Yahama, Pioneer are just as good. Kenwood, Onkyo, Sherwood, not.

Here's a $50 non-hdmi non-4k avr off craigslist with preout-->in for the front speakers; you take the little bridge clip out to get pre out.
boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/d/yamaha-rx-v850-receiver/6697984425.html

Attached: 429574-yamaha_rxv850_51_channel_home_theatre_receiver.jpg (800x600, 111K)

Are you sure you can configure a zone 2 as the left and right channel? I've never tried it but I would imagine the receiver might not know how to decode 5.1 if there is no L&R connected on the main zone.

anyone here built a karlsonator out of foamboard?

I built a masturbator out of an old pillow once, does that count?

Nono, we're not allowed to ask that because we're all such meanies.

Attached: 29785533017_ea094df36e_b.jpg (375x807, 99K)

Okay well how are you enjoying YOUR setup currently user. What are you using? How do you like it?

Listening to 128kbs stream
icecast.vrtcdn.be/klaracontinuo-high.mp3
via bluetooth
to 14,50 euro thriftstore sony amp
driving mission 760i's
I've dumped a lot of speakers this year, had over 30 pair. The missions are never favorites but manage to survive purges.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-17 00-08-26.png (1024x600, 1.02M)

I remember you mentioning they did a satisfactory job but you were bummed with the plastic of the enclosure up close? was that you?

It must have been fun to try so many speakers. How did you sell them? What were your favorites?

Plastic enclosure? No. The 760i are old, you don't mean the user with the recent missions? He seems content.
Sold: JBL LX2001, Elac EL51s, Dipol 40, Scythe scbks-1100, Eltax Ht-2 bipolar
Dumped at thriftstore: Mordaunt-Short ms10, Goodmans Maxim 2, Philips Fwb-mc70, Fb652g, Tannoy Titan, Pioneer cs-e320, Wharfedale Delta 30, Realistic Minimus 5, JBL Control One extreme

might be something to ask the manufacturer

Any plans to try something else after your 760is?

His amp is underpowered for his speakers.

Speaking of amps, what would be a good 5 channel amp to buy now? The Monoliths?

I'd start with a midrange Rotel, and go from there. For adequate sound, Adcom.

Attached: RMB1075.jpg (800x533, 82K)

The also have Class D but I'm not convinced on Class D yet.

Attached: rmb1575_guts.png (663x654, 778K)

What if I want to buy new or refurbished? I don't want to go the ebay route.

Enough for the room. Even with 82dB or what it is.

Attached: skytronic-av-360-versterker-met-fm-radio-en-usb-sd-speler.jpg (900x900, 76K)

I like how that rack is not between the speakers. Pity about all that glass.

Yamaha a-s500. 4x3 meters. From jpop to doom metal.

the hifiman HE400i is on a 50% discount on their website at $219, so good i am getting it shipped to western yurp
store.hifiman.com/index.php/headphones/he-400i.html
they're a big step ahead of the sennheiser HD650 according to head-fi.org/threads/from-sennheiser-hd-650-to-hifiman-he-400i-theres-no-way-back.762957/

Attached: virgin and child baby mary jesus christian .png (358x428, 69K)

I have a pair of ATH-M50X's, and my motherboard audio driver is Realtek ALC1220.

Is it worth buying a DAC just for the audio quality? My headphones are more than loud enough as-is.

DAC/amp combo. DACs are not normally suited to go directly into headphone loads.
As long as there isn't quiescent noise or crackling/timbre changes near the top of the volume control, its fine.

I still do not understand.
Clearly, room decor is not a concern if you are using these things inside it. You can afford to use real acoustic treatment over the entire room and even pay for active bass traps.

>active bass traps
Who makes these? Only ones I've seen are from Bag End (E-Traps) and seemed to be more for small studios.

Psi audio

Nifty. I always wanted to try that. The skilled measurement requirements always turned me off a bit.

New: Emit 10
Old: Contour 1.3 Mk2, Contour 1, Focus 110, Audience 42 or 52; etc., in order from better to good

Some people love the Focus 110 more than anything. Some people like the Emits.

avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/686371-dynaudio-owner-s-thread-1155.html#post52732073

>Audience 42
My mom went nuts and threw mine out, along with a number of other gear I had growing up. Miss those little guys. :/

Are final audio e5000 good lads?
From what i've read i'd need some portable amp to go with my note 9

Attached: oi.jpg (300x199, 15K)

threw out my childhood plushie too, a stuffed dinosaur named Greenie.

Attached: fregg.png (446x362, 109K)

Goddamn niche pricing. Why can't china rip these off instead of making boutique dacs. Fuck.